Love handles. I surely don't love them..

Looking for advice on how to lose fat from my middle section - namely the so called love handles (the sides of my stomach below the waist. I'm a 5'8 who weighs 143 lbs (173 cm, 65 kg) and looks very normal, not chubby or anything. But when I wear jeans, my love handles do stick out and it's not pretty. The advice on the Internet is really vague on this one.

I eat quite healthy and move a lot.

Anyone got some ideas or things that worked for you?

I remember being skinning with 21% body fat index and having love handles when I wore jeans. What I did to solve my problem was pick jeans one size larger :D

• Like 3

Sounds like your weight is ok, but you have more of an apple body shape (carry more weight in the mid section)

If that's the case, not much you can do, because it's not a weight but structure issue. But you can

1) lose overall weight - it will reduce your mid section but may look too skinny overall

2) change the way you dress

Seems like 2) is much more sustainable solution because each weight fluctuation will show in your midsection anyway. If you like jeans, wear them with longer tops. Or wear more dresses etc.

Looking for advice on how to lose fat from my middle section - namely the so called love handles (the sides of my stomach below the waist. I'm a 5'8 who weighs 143 lbs (173 cm, 65 kg) and looks very normal, not chubby or anything. But when I wear jeans, my love handles do stick out and it's not pretty. The advice on the Internet is really vague on this one.

• Like 1
  • Author

https://goo.gl/tr2AW5

Top row, second from the right is similar to how my body looks, except that I have somewhat wider hips.

I Google apple body type but it doesn't look like me. More like a pear I guess?

I'd change how I dress, but I've been progressively gaining weight just around that area and some of my formal dresses are too tight just around my love handles now, which is a bit worrisome. Feels like I'm doing something wrong. Heard that women store fat in their love handles if they have longer periods of not eating during the day. Do you think it's true? I'm finding some info, but the advice are different - some articles say you need to eat many small portion during the day, others - restrict the time when you're eating and when you're fasting. Ugh, no idea :/

I remember being skinning with 21% body fat index and having love handles when I wore jeans. What I did to solve my problem was pick jeans one size larger :D

Lol. That is great advice!

• Like 1
I look horrible in high waist jeans actually, they make my hips look really wide

They are not high waist, l would not be caught dead in high waist pants lol. They hit below the belly button. Next time you're out shopping try them on.

• Like 1

Ok, apple or pear, the point is your overall weight is normal so it is likely just your body shape and not much you can do about it besides getting very skinny (which may not look too good overall) or changing the way you dress (which will improve your looks regardless of weight).

I don't think it has anything to do with how often you eat, maybe a little bit with water retention though. Have you tried cutting on sodium?

Also I noticed my midsection shrunk a lot since I start doing planks. Maybe its optical illusion because of the muscle definition but who cares if it looks better :) Maybe try side planks for 30 s each side few times a day and see if it will change the way you look (but give it some time - if you stick to daily exercise maybe a month or two..)

https://goo.gl/tr2AW5

Top row, second from the right is similar to how my body looks, except that I have somewhat wider hips.

I Google apple body type but it doesn't look like me. More like a pear I guess?

I'd change how I dress, but I've been progressively gaining weight just around that area and some of my formal dresses are too tight just around my love handles now, which is a bit worrisome. Feels like I'm doing something wrong. Heard that women store fat in their love handles if they have longer periods of not eating during the day. Do you think it's true? I'm finding some info, but the advice are different - some articles say you need to eat many small portion during the day, others - restrict the time when you're eating and when you're fasting. Ugh, no idea :/

The vast majority of women are pear-shaped, so indeed most of our weight is stored around the hips and lower belly. Unfortunately, there is no way to literally change your weight distribution. You can lose weight overall which will reduce the love handles, but will reduce everything else as well (including the boobs). A very intense core training regimen supposedly helps your abs look better (same amount of fat, but the stronger muscles create a flatter look), but I don't know how much difference it would actually make.

I wouldn't worry too much about the love handles if I were you. Perhaps they might indicate that your pants aren't fitting you well - in which case you should get a larger size of jeans, or have them altered to match your exact measurements. Personally, I've found that dresses and longer tops are great! :D There isn't much sense in midriff-baring if you're above 20 years of age, anyway.

• Like 2
The vast majority of women are pear-shaped, so indeed most of our weight is stored around the hips and lower belly.

Is that statistically so? I feel like it kind of depends on ethnicity/race a lot.

I’m lucky in adding/losing weight very evenly on my body (ratios stay the same regardless of weight), but it shows on my face! I’d prefer love handles than puffy cheecks at least the former can be hidden with clothes:)

Body fat distribution is mostly genetic, but also affected by a number of other factors

Cortisol (stress hormone) promotes storage of fat around the abs, so to prevent that you should get plenty of sleep, reduce your coffee intake, perhaps meditate, etc.

Insulin spikes promote fat storage around the hips, so to minimise that you would reduce/eliminate processed foods and don't take in too much sugar in one meal.

Estrogen promotes fat storage around thighs, chest, triceps (bingo wings!).

That covers how to control where you gain the fat to some extent... but you can't really 'spot reduce' existing fat effectively. You'll need to either up your exercise or reduce your calorie intake to see any meaningful results in the short term

• Like 2
  • Author
Is that statistically so? I feel like it kind of depends on ethnicity/race a lot.

I’m lucky in adding/losing weight very evenly on my body (ratios stay the same regardless of weight), but it shows on my face! I’d prefer love handles than puffy cheecks at least the former can be hidden with clothes:)

LOL, sounds a bit like bragging hidden in a complaint :p

Most women dream of having more volume in their face since that gives a more youthful look.

• Author
Body fat distribution is mostly genetic, but also affected by a number of other factors

Cortisol (stress hormone) promotes storage of fat around the abs, so to prevent that you should get plenty of sleep, reduce your coffee intake, perhaps meditate, etc.

Insulin spikes promote fat storage around the hips, so to minimise that you would reduce/eliminate processed foods and don't take in too much sugar in one meal.

Estrogen promotes fat storage around thighs, chest, triceps (bingo wings!).

That covers how to control where you gain the fat to some extent... but you can't really 'spot reduce' existing fat effectively. You'll need to either up your exercise or reduce your calorie intake to see any meaningful results in the short term

Thanks for an informative post, Andy.

I have a condition that messes up sensitivity to insulin, maybe that's why. And I started gaining weight on that area while working night shifts (right now switched to early morning job, but still not getting enough quality sleep), so I see that it could be related.

Not sure how to increase my workout time, cause I feel exhausted more often than not. Right now I'm at the gym once a week and it feels like I'm punishing myself...

LOL, sounds a bit like bragging hidden in a complaint :p

Most women dream of having more volume in their face since that gives a more youthful look.

Haha, happy for the body but facial weight gain - nothing to brag about:/ I don't know how to explain it well, but it has to do with smaller bone structure which comes with my ethnicity (Southern Eastern European). On say American or Northern European person it would have looked differently because they have the more prominent jaw and cheekbones...

But back to your 'love handles' - have you tried shape wear? Maybe not a bad idea because the part to conceal is small.

Btw abs workout doesn't need to take long - 5 min per day (every day) will make a big difference. Even if it is just planks and crunches.

lana-banana

My favorite trainer liked to say "abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym". Everyone's abs are buried under fat, much more so than any other muscle. Unless your goal is to look like a teenage gymnast, you will get far better visual results by just cutting out refined carbs and sugar. You should do core exercises anyway, but they are not going to make the difference for you.

Use a calculator to find your TDEE (there are several on the internet), and then try to eat a little bit under that. Honestly, other than eating a bit less and trying to eat as well as you can, there's not much to do. You can lose the weight eventually but don't beat yourself up about it, and don't ever expect a totally flat figure. Even thin people have a few rolls when they're sitting, they just aren't visible with clothes on.

• Like 2
SunnyWeather
Thanks for an informative post, Andy.

I have a condition that messes up sensitivity to insulin, maybe that's why. And I started gaining weight on that area while working night shifts (right now switched to early morning job, but still not getting enough quality sleep), so I see that it could be related.

Not sure how to increase my workout time, cause I feel exhausted more often than not. Right now I'm at the gym once a week and it feels like I'm punishing myself...

have you checked out Ketogenic diet? It's a long term way of eating, not a short fix/fad, that despite what others have said here, does change body shape, particularly reducing belly fat.

Being insulin-resistant will take some time to notice changes, but the long term health benefits could be significant.

Do your research and decide if it it's right for you. There's a lot of science to support its premise.

Here's a link with lots of info:

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/

• 2 weeks later...

It is all about how much you eat. It is not even really about what you eat (some people with horrendous/unhealthy diets are skinny). And much less about exercise (exercise makes you healthier but not skinnier). Love handles are extra stored fat, the only real way to get rid of those is by cutting down on your calories. No shortcuts or miracle exercise infomercial will do the trick. Sorry.

• Like 1
  • Author
It is all about how much you eat. It is not even really about what you eat (some people with horrendous/unhealthy diets are skinny). And much less about exercise (exercise makes you healthier but not skinnier). Love handles are extra stored fat, the only real way to get rid of those is by cutting down on your calories. No shortcuts or miracle exercise infomercial will do the trick. Sorry.

I don't eat more calories than recommended. But my hectic schedule often allows me to eat during the evenings. I have no time to eat during the day then I come back home and boy am I hungry :D

Maybe my body stores fat there because it knows there will be little to no nutrition during the day

thefooloftheyear
I don't eat more calories than recommended. But my hectic schedule often allows me to eat during the evenings. I have no time to eat during the day then I come back home and boy am I hungry :D

Maybe my body stores fat there because it knows there will be little to no nutrition during the day

Maybe and maybe not....It's generally not a good practice to starve and binge...Better to eat continuously during the day...For example, I can maintain a 230# relatively lean body with 6K cals a day..I rarely eat any big meals, just eat every few hours....I am active, though...

But back to your issue...

As others have stated, some of it is genetic...Without getting into a long winded post, you just need to lift(weights)...Women have learned over the last decade or so, that while other forms of exercise are good, and will often allow you to get smaller, in some cases, you just wind up a smaller version of the same shape you don't like....Resistance training is how you transform a body...Don't worry, you won't look like a Soviet powerlifter on a male regimen of anabolics, like most women think will happen, but if you do it right you will achieve the sexiest shape of your life...and probably rid yourself of those love handles/muffin top over time..

TFY

• Like 1
Interstellar

I follow the 100-150 rule. 100 g or less carbs per day and the 150 g or more of protein per day, I admit getting to 150 g or more is difficult and still a work in progress for me. Cardio with an empty stomach, and learn basic compound movements (YouTube bench press, squats, deadlifts) or simple body weight movements such as push-ups, squats and dips. No meals three hours before bedtime. Get 8 hours or more of sleep. Cut down on stress and negative people/influences in your life.

Edited by Interstellar

Oh my, I'm 174 and 75kg... Woops!

I personally buy pants that aren't tight enough to create love handles. Even jeans can be selected to be less tight at the very top. :p

OatsAndHall

I competed in bodybuilding in my late teens and early twenties and I learned one very important thing in that time; body fat percentages and distribution is heavily determined by genetics. In the off-season, I had to adhere to a strict diet (maintenance calories or a 250-500 calories surplus) to keep my body fat percentage from going above 12%. Anything above that and the BF would accumulate around my stomach and love handles and it would take me twice as long to prepare for a show. If I cut down to quickly, I would just become "skinny-fat" because I was losing muscle.

Your weight appears to be well within a healthy range but you can jump into a diet and exercise program if you're really uncomfortable with your love handles and want to get rid of them. But, you have to approach this in the right way or your body will just chew up muscle mass as EVERYONE'S body is geared to hold onto fat, just through basic evolution. When you cut calories too low/train too hard, your body will keep body fat (especially around the midsection) and burn muscle as our bodies are geared towards famine; hold onto the best fuel source (fat) when food is scarce.

I teach math, but I also have a degree in kinesiology and do some personal training on the side for extra cash. With my clients that are trying to lose weight, I emphasize the following:

1. Losing body fat is all about a caloric deficit and NOT fat/carb/protein ratios. I don't recommend lower-carb diets as a) most folks can't follow them for very long as they feel like crap and it's an expensive diet and b) they're much more apt to follow a workout routine if they have the energy to do so. Studies have shown that the muscle protein synthesis (i.e. your body is using protein to build muscle..) after .5 grams/pound of body weight. So, a typical "diet" for one of my clients emphasizes the following:

-.5 grams of protein/pound of body weight, spread out throughout meals and snacks.

-A 500 calorie/day deficit (use a fitness app to track calories). Technically, someone should lose a pound per week with this level of deficit. This may seem slow but your body won't feel starved and will burn body fat and not muscle.

-A smart choice in food selection. I give them a long list of meals that have quality protein, low glycemic index carbs, and healthy fats. It doesn't take them long to figure out that a breakfast consisting of an egg white omelette and oatmeal keeps them satiated much longer than even something healthy like granola bars..

Resistance training of some kind of absolutely key if you someone is looking to drop body fat. It stimulates an anabolic hormonal response that burns body fat when someone is cutting. Typical cardio (i.e. 35 minutes- 1 hour on the treadmill) does the opposite; it jacks up cortisol which, in turn, tells your body to hold on to body fat and burn muscle. Obviously, a person needs a aerobic exercise for cardiovascular health but 20-30 minutes of walking will do the trick there.

I put people on simple weight training programs that emphasize compound movements; flat/incline bench, overhead presses, squats, deadlifts, and bent-over rows. These movements give you the most bang for your buck as they stimulate a large amount of muscle mass. And, they don't need to spend two hours in the gym to get it done. A ten-fifteen minute warm-up, thirty-five to forty five minutes of weight training, a ten minute cool down and they're good to go.

• Like 2
Jinglebelle

Hi! I've personally found that I could be a cardio maniac and not lose a single pound....I started strength training and it was a total game changer!

I'm talking 3 years of any and every class I could take and I did not lose a single pound. A few months of cutting cardio and adding weights and I've lost 16 pounds...and still going! Definitely great advice above!!

I also just started an at home workout program that is awesome for this. It's only 4 days a week for 30 minutes and comes with a nutrition plan that also includes a cheat day! It's totally perfect to fit in to my schedule. I can tell you more about it if you want!!