amaysngrace

Sunday I got bit by a tick at a neighbor graduation party. It got me right between my fingers which is weird in itself. I picked him off when I felt the bite. I don't know why people say tick bites don't hurt because mine did a little.

Some nice man crushed it for me and told me to sue the homeowner who happens to be his brother.

It's been itching all week mostly in the morning and yesterday it developed into a pus filled hard knobby thing. I went to an infectious disease doc and he's put me on some heavy duty antibiotic for ten days.

Does this sound like it could be the start of Lyme? I've looked online but there isn't much info on the early stages other than how to pull the tick off and wound care.

Has anyone has had a tick bite that sounds like my same reaction but had not developed into Lyme? I sure would appreciate hearing from you!

Also, does this make me not vegan?

Lyme is characterized by a red ring that looks like a bullseye to form. You feel like you have the flu.

You can get other diseases from a regular tick but you are getting ahead of yourself by talking about suing. 1). what was the homeowner supposed to do to prevent a wild creature over whom he had no control from biting you? 2). what are your damages? Are you really going to mount an expensive lawsuit over 1 doctor visit & an prescription? You have no permanent injury. I'm not diminishing your discomfort or the fear but don't get ahead of yourself.

• Like 2

Deer Ticks spread Lyme Disease so google them to see if the one that bit you looks the same.

It sounds like the teeth they use to pierce your skin is still inside, it broke off which is normally the best way to remove them, the days of putting a match to their head to let them release their teeth leaves toxins from them into you.

I would bet the DR is doing more preventive medicine that anything else, Lyme Disease can ruin a person.

• Like 1
Some nice man crushed it for me and told me to sue the homeowner who happens to be his brother.

that's a little weird

• Like 4
that's a little weird

No it isn't. It's VERY weird.

Who the heck a) thinks a homeowner can be sued for a tick bite especially if nothing comes of it-which it won't because the tick needs to be attached and biting for at least 24 hours and b) why would someone suggest that their brother be sued.

Also, does this make me not vegan?

What does this even mean? I'm really trying to wrap my head around it. Person gets bit by a tick and wonders if this in someway means they have in some way violated their self imposed dietary restrictions.

• Like 1
  • Author
amaysngrace

Aw guys, I'm not going to sue my neighbor! His brother was making a joke!

So I should pick the nodule off if there's teeth inside me? Would that pick them out?

These antibiotics are so strong they make my stomach hurt and I've only taken two doses of 20 :(

• Like 1

Don't pick at anything. If your doctor wants the nodule removed, the doctor can do that more safely then you picking at it. If it hurts, call the doctor back.

Apparently you are on strong antibiotics. They can cause stomach problems which is why people are generally instructed to take them with food, preferably milk or yogurt. As a vegan you aren't going to do that. Call the doctor's office back & remind them you are vegan. There is some literature which suggests a vegan diet causes a more severe reaction to the antibiotics, which have the undesirable effect of killing off the good bacteria in your intestinal tract; usually that can be counterbalanced with yogurt. Ask what you should be ingesting with the pills to combat the nausea. The cure should not make you sicker. Perhaps the dosage can be tweaked. FWIW I'm thinking if you ate some peanut better that might help quench the discomfort but I can't explain why I think that so don't just blindly follow my suggestion which may be asinine

• Like 1
These antibiotics are so strong they make my stomach hurt and I've only taken two doses of 20 :(

you have to eat something of substance just before you take them

• Like 1

Sorry to read that. Party killer.

Perhaps outdated but back in Boy Scouts where we were out in the wilderness a lot, we were taught, if bitten by a tick (there was a picture in my scout manual) to use one of the matches in our kit, light it up, blow it out and hold the hot match head against the body of the tick to get it to back out, then destroy it. That way no parts were left in the skin. Then treat the area with antiseptic and monitor.

Interesting content on anti-microbals and veganism. Learn something every day. Hope you get better soon!

• Like 2

I’m definitely not an American lawmaker and wouldn’t know about suing a neighbor over a tick bite but with all respect due to donnivain that seems impossible. Just bad luck.

I’ve been bit by these ticks more than once since childhood and never got Lyme disease.

However I’m hoping you won’t be affected amayngrace because that’s not fun to carry for a lifetime.

• Like 1
  • Author
amaysngrace

Thanks everyone for your concern and suggestions. :love:

I'm just going to have to tough it out because taking these meds is nothing compared to living with Lyme, I can only imagine.

I've read that given straight away, antibiotics can really help with the severity and duration of Lyme so better safe than sorry.

But they're gross.

I will try the peanut butter and also maybe silk almond milk yogurt can help, we have that in the fridge already.

Thanks all!

• Like 1
I've read that given straight away, antibiotics can really help with the severity and duration of Lyme so better safe than sorry.

You removed the tick almost immediately. The odds of getting Lyme disease when the tick has been biting less than 24 hours are so low it's almost beyond the point of probability. Antibiotics wreak havoc on your gastro intestinal tract they wipe out all the good bacteria which affects digestion and can cause a host of other problems including yeast infections. If I was bitten by a tick that was removed almost immediatley I wouldn't even consider antibiotics unless I saw the suspicious rash around the bite area.

• Author
amaysngrace
You removed the tick almost immediately. The odds of getting Lyme disease when the tick has been biting less than 24 hours are so low it's almost beyond the point of probability. Antibiotics wreak havoc on your gastro intestinal tract they wipe out all the good bacteria which affects digestion and can cause a host of other problems including yeast infections. If I was bitten by a tick that was removed almost immediatley I wouldn't even consider antibiotics unless I saw the suspicious rash around the bite area.

That's good for you but if the teeth are still inside aren't I still being bit?

Anyway, if you saw the site of the bite you'd be taking them, trust me. It's obvious that my body is fighting something there due to the pus filled sac of white blood cells that is now present.

I had an infectious disease doctor look at it and through his observation this was his recommendation so I'll follow his orders but thanks for your opinion!

• Like 2
You removed the tick almost immediately. The odds of getting Lyme disease when the tick has been biting less than 24 hours are so low it's almost beyond the point of probability.

This is very important to know. It is highly unlikely that you have Lyme disease, although I understand your anxiety.

• Like 1
That's good for you but if the teeth are still inside aren't I still being bit?

Anyway, if you saw the site of the bite you'd be taking them, trust me. It's obvious that my body is fighting something there due to the pus filled sac of white blood cells that is now present.

I had an infectious disease doctor look at it and through his observation this was his recommendation so I'll follow his orders but thanks for your opinion!

I would say that it's more likely to be some kind of infection, than Lyme disease.

• Like 2

There is definitely a problem but I don't think it's Lyme Disease either. I always thought the ticks that gave you that were smaller deer ticks, harder to see then the basic black tick that you described Amy.

Whether there are teeth in there or you are just reacting to the bite, better safe then sorry. Take the antibiotics with food & follow the doctor's instructions.

• Like 1
  • Author
amaysngrace
I would say that it's more likely to be some kind of infection, than Lyme disease.

Yes probably. Ticks carry a lot of disease.

It was a tiny itty bitty black tick which I think is a deer tick but the man who crushed it told me it's not a bad one because it didn't have a white spot on the back. I'm not sure if that's accurate or not though.

I actually don't know that much about ticks even though I live in the boonies and probably should. The yard I was in was very wooded and they had these huge industrial fans set up to make a breeze and keep everybody cool.

It's just dumb luck that I got bit, especially between my fingers, but at least it's easy for me to keep my eye on it.

I actually don't know that much about ticks even though I live in the boonies and probably should.

Yeah that way you wouldn't be worried about Lyme disease from a tick that bit you for only a brief moment far shorter than required to actually get Lyme disease.

• Author
amaysngrace
Yeah that way you wouldn't be worried about Lyme disease from a tick that bit you for only a brief moment far shorter than required to actually get Lyme disease.

That's in most cases, not 100% of them. I live in one of the 14 states where 95% of Lyme transmissions occur. One out of every four or five ticks carry Lyme here.

Again I think I'll trust my doctor to know his facts but thanks for your opinion once more!

• Like 1
LivingWaterPlease
That's in most cases, not 100% of them. I live in one of the 14 states where 95% of Lyme transmissions occur. One out of every four or five ticks carry Lyme here.

Again I think I'll trust my doctor to know his facts but thanks for your opinion once more!

amaysn, sorry you had this unfortunate tick bite but glad you went to the Dr. and got treated! And glad to hear you're taking the nasty medicine!

When my little grandson got bitten by a tick last year my DIL took him to the Dr. before any symptoms appeared (or at least they were very mild, almost unnoticeable) and he tested positive for lyme disease but with early treatment the Dr. told her the little guy would probably never have any issues from it.

• Like 2

The strong antibiotics are a precaution against Lymes.

Sometimes they change the spectrum when they suspect Lymes.

I feel your pain, I was bitten long ago. I did get a flu like reaction.

Went through 3 different types of AB.

Was not Lymes.

I think you have an infection but go back ASAP if you get any other signs.

Oh, sue the neighbour, they have no business letting unsuspecting guests getting tick bites......

Sue them twice.

• Like 2
Thanks everyone for your concern and suggestions. :love:

I'm just going to have to tough it out because taking these meds is nothing compared to living with Lyme, I can only imagine.

But they're gross.

I will try the peanut butter and also maybe silk almond milk yogurt can help, we have that in the fridge already.

Thanks all!

The reason people recommend eating yogurt while taking antibiotics is for the probiotics which are supposed to replenish the good bacteria that will be killed by the antibiotics. However some doctors say that yogurt doesn't even contain enough of the bacteria culture to do that much good. A better alternative, especially since you are vegan, is just to ask your pharmacist for a bottle of probiotic capsules. The capsules have tons more probiotics than yogurt does. Since they are sold without prescription you can also find them in health food stores and even regular grocery stores.

• Like 1
pureinheart

Oh man girl, so sorry this happened to you :( Praying big time for quick healing! Love you!

To add, my daughter got a tick bite when she was 16. She had a sore there for several years that would not heal. I took her to several doctors, but nothing seemed to help. It did finally heal, although she says it itches every now and then... she never got sick behind that to my knowledge.

Edited by pureinheart
  • Like 1