Easy 1 week diet plan?

CautiouslyOptimistic

Does anyone have any easy (as in easy ingredients, easy to make) 1-week diet plan/menus?

I'm thinking I might do the military diet since I have a friend who did it with amazing results, and has kept it off for a couple years

I really need to lose about 25 pounds. It's ridiculous how long I've let this go on, for emotional reasons, but it starts Monday (I'm being realistic in waiting til after the Super Bowl ;)). I feel like crap. I look like crap. I have no energy. I have heartburn/indigestion almost constantly to the point of not sleeping well.

So, any suggestions? I don't want a "book" or "diet" recommendation. I'm looking for an actual breakfast, lunch and dinner plan to follow. Specific meals....and shopping list is a bonus.

I don't know of any fad or otherwise diet that will achieve 25lbs weight loss in a week.

Around 8lbs is about the max you can lose in a week and that would be water loss.

If you want to lose weight and permanently keep it off it's a lifestyle change and the best way is to just eat normal food (not light or diet options) but eat only when you're hungry and only until you feel full.

Cutting out empty calories eg fizzy sugar loaded drinks if you have those would be a good place to start.

• Like 2

The websites Skinnytaste and I Breathe I'm Hungry (yes, a stupid name, I know) have really good one-week meal plans with grocery lists. Skinnytaste has plans for several types of diets, while IBIH focuses on extremely low-carb plans.

The "military diet" is not used by any military but has existed for years under various names. It's incredibly boring and repetitive. I get the desire to do something dramatic for a few days to reset your system, but the "military diet" plans I've seen are between 900-1100 calories per day. Unless you have extraordinary self-discipline that is just asking to end up on a sugar binge. Gemma's advice to just cut out empty calories and eat smaller portions is very solid.

Depending on your current weight you could "lose" a significant amount of water weight pretty fast, but aim for 1.5 pounds per week in the long run. Remember, you didn't gain it overnight, so it won't go away overnight either.

• Like 1
  • Author
CautiouslyOptimistic
I don't know of any fad or otherwise diet that will achieve 25lbs weight loss in a week.

Around 8lbs is about the max you can lose in a week and that would be water loss.

If you want to lose weight and permanently keep it off it's a lifestyle change and the best way is to just eat normal food (not light or diet options) but eat only when you're hungry and only until you feel full.

Cutting out empty calories eg fizzy sugar loaded drinks if you have those would be a good place to start.

I'm not trying to lose 25 pounds in a week lol! That's just the total goal, and I want something to "reset" my brain, by way of a plan, as a jump start so I'll get the motivation to keep it going through simply eating better like you said. Hope that makes sense. My goal is to lose this by the end of June, not the end of the week :lmao:.

• Like 1
  • Author
CautiouslyOptimistic

The "military diet" is not used by any military but has existed for years under various names. It's incredibly boring and repetitive. I get the desire to do something dramatic for a few days to reset your system, but the "military diet" plans I've seen are between 900-1100 calories per day.

Yeah, it is, but it's only 3 days on, then it's 4 days of just eating sensibly, then 3 days back on it. And it's easy and inexpensive, which is why I'm considering it. Easy as in easy prep, not necessarily easy to do if you like to eat and drink :lmao:.

For me, the "easiest" healthy meals consist of some kind of lean meat (like chicken) with roasted or sauteed vegetables. You can roast almost any vegetable -- we usually do broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, or brussel sprouts. Just toss with a little olive oil, season with salt and pepper (or whatever other seasoning you like) and throw it in the oven. You can Google for the temperature and cooking times. You can also saute spinach, green beans, or Kale for a good side. Brown rice and quinoa are also good, easy sides.

Likewise, salads are easy provided you top them with lean meat and vegetables and avoid fatty dressings. There is a brand of dressing called Bolthouse Farms that are Greek yogurt based, so low calorie, but taste like the real thing.

For breakfast, I usually have a couple of eggs, a bowl of oatmeal, or a Greek yogurt.

But whatever you eat, what really matters is calories in vs. calories out.

• Like 1
Happy Lemming

I've lost 23 pounds, but it has taken me 4 months. I try to eat mainly vegetables, watch my carbs and no sweets. I've been getting up at 5:30am every morning and walking 5 miles. I'm 2 pounds away from the goal weight that my doctor recommended. I'd like to lose another 10 after that, but we'll see.

I think you will have better success being slow and methodical vs. trying to dump weight quickly.

Also, I'm going to watch what I eat on Superbowl Sunday. Raw Cauliflower, Fresh Broccoli, Celery and Carrot sticks!! I'm not going to undue all of this hard work for one afternoon.

Go Eagles!!

• Like 2
  • Author
CautiouslyOptimistic
For me, the "easiest" healthy meals consist of some kind of lean meat (like chicken) with roasted or sauteed vegetables. You can roast almost any vegetable -- we usually do broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, or brussel sprouts. Just toss with a little olive oil, season with salt and pepper (or whatever other seasoning you like) and throw it in the oven. You can Google for the temperature and cooking times. You can also saute spinach, green beans, or Kale for a good side. Brown rice and quinoa are also good, easy sides.

Likewise, salads are easy provided you top them with lean meat and vegetables and avoid fatty dressings. There is a brand of dressing called Bolthouse Farms that are Greek yogurt based, so low calorie, but taste like the real thing.

For breakfast, I usually have a couple of eggs, a bowl of oatmeal, or a Greek yogurt.

But whatever you eat, what really matters is calories in vs. calories out.

Yes, I know all this :).

I love the Bolthouse Farms ranch dressing! It tastes way better than regular ranch in my opinion. I use it for dipping carrots :).

• Author
CautiouslyOptimistic
What does your exercise regimen consist of..??:p

TFY

I belong to a small group fitness gym and "try" to go every week day, but of course that does not happen, so I average 3 times a week. I really need to do more at home walking on my treadmill desk and commit to walking the dog at least a mile a day, too. (My dog gets exercise because I have a large hill in my backyard and we play fetch on it, but that only exercise my right shoulder from throwing the ball lol).

At the gym, it's usually circuit training type stuff. Muscle Monday, Tabata Tuesday, Winded Wednesday, Total Body Toner Thursday, and Friday is usually a HIIT workout. It's a combo of weights and cardio, heavy on weights. The class is 45 minutes. I admit I am afraid of bulking up, and I feel like I HAVE, especially in my shoulders/upper arms. I have a very sturdy build and do not have dainty shoulders and I do not want them to get bigger, especially since I also have a large chest and I start to look like a football player I think!

• Like 1

It's all about calories in v calories out. Diet is part of it. Re-setting your brain helps. It's not a diet because diet is all about being deprived. We don't want you to have a scarce mentality. You need to think in abundance so part of the secret is finding things you can have more of.

Get more movement into your life, even if it's taking the stairs, parking far away from the door & going for a walk after dinner.

First don't drink your calories. No more soda, juice, booze, etc. Water, tea & black coffee are your friends. High protein / high fiber & low sugar, low carb are the best way to stay full longer.

For breakfast I eat either:

a high protein Greek yogurt (read labels, not all yogurts are the same)

2 eggs

string cheese (90 calories per stick)

a granola bar of some sort

cereal & low fat milk

a banana

a smoothie (milk, plain yogurt, fruit, ice & 1 teaspoon of almond butter)

You must learn to bring your lunch to work. Going out the options are tough & the portions are too large.

homemade ramen with zoodles (invest in spiralizer to make noodles out of zuchinni)

4 oz of protein -- chicken, pork, whatever meat I had for dinner

1-2 cups of fresh fruit

a salad with dressing on the side (dip the tines of the fork in to coat the fork, then stab the veggies)

I need snacks because the above portions are small. Have stuff in the office:

fruit

carrots

string cheese

a granola bar

Fiber One bars the brownies are very chocolaty & have 5 g of fiber; I never get enough fiber

1 ounce of mixed nuts

You can eat chips & junk just realize what 1 portion looks like. It's usually about 12-15 chips. You count them out & then that is all you can eat. Don't graze mindlessly out of the bag.

Dinner

the easiest thing is to grill up a protein & steam some veggies

the colorful veggies should be 1/2 of your plate

learn to make stuff with cauliflower, I love cauliflower mashed potatoes

the zoodles / sprializer can help with reducing pasta consumption

Here's one of my favorite meals with spaghetti squash: https://www.buzzfeed.com/christinebyrne/spaghetti-squash-with-bacon-spinach-and-goat-cheese?utm_term=.hq5ARp5M6#.ssRG8xz3b

You can really eat anything. You just need to learn to eat less of it. Spices help. Eating off the smaller salad plate rather than the big dinner plate helps. Keep the bowls off the table. Plate your food then sit down like at a restaurant. If you want seconds you have to get up.

• Author
CautiouslyOptimistic

You must learn to bring your lunch to work. Going out the options are tough & the portions are too large.

Thanks for all of your food suggestions :). I had to highlight this particular piece of advice. I have my lunch with me at work 100% of the time because I work from home....probably part of my problem! :)

Thanks for all of your food suggestions :). I had to highlight this particular piece of advice. I have my lunch with me at work 100% of the time because I work from home....probably part of my problem! :)

That's dead easy - pack yourself a lunch for the next day.

Don't starve though.

What do you eat now?

The best way to figure how to lose weight is to look at what you eat and do now.

Keeping things easy and simple works - no weighing, no calorie counting..it's what I do and have done for over a decade now and I won't ever 'diet' again.

I did 'diets' for some 20 years with ultimate failure until I stopped, lost the weight and kept it off with no hassle at all.

You say you're bulking up.

I did too when I did step aerobics years ago so I stopped and took up something else instead. Slowly my thighs got bigger but I could only tell when my jeans - an older pair would not fit.

Maybe your gym and the classes you take are not the best things for you.

If you work from home how much of the tempting bad stuff can you get out of the house?

I had to stop buying soda to have on hand. If it was there, I drank it. Now if my husband wants one, he picks one up while out.

• Author
CautiouslyOptimistic
If you work from home how much of the tempting bad stuff can you get out of the house?

ALL of it if I didn't have kids :).

• Author
CautiouslyOptimistic
That's dead easy - pack yourself a lunch for the next day.

Don't starve though.

This is a good idea. I've never made my lunch the night before like I would if I was going out of the house for work. I ate a lot healthier when I worked outside the home. I had a pretty strict plan when I packed lunches.

Today I had Ramen, but that was only because I need to shop and have nothing else in the house. My lunch is usually leftovers or I'll make a tuna sandwich (I do eat "good bread" or multigrain sandwich thins if I have bread). I had cottage cheese for breakfast. I'm not sure what I'll have for dinner because I don't have much here. The nights my kids aren't here I pick and don't really eat an actual meal.

I've lost close to 30 pounds before, so I know exactly how to do it and what foods to eat. I find it difficult to get the motivation to get out to the store, make good choices, and cook myself a decent meal when I'm feeling so overwhelmed with everything else in my life.

• Author
CautiouslyOptimistic
You really wanna be on a diet for Superbowl?

No! I said I'm starting Monday :lmao:.

thefooloftheyear

One thing to always consider.....

Many people go on diets, but may not realize that what made them gain the weight in the first place may not have been food related...

I don't know what type of health plan you have, but I strongly advise a blood workup to be sure that you don't have some condition(hypothyroidism/Hashimoto, etc), that may be the real culprit...If not addressed, then you likely won't have any success or the type of diet will need to be so restrictive that it will be impossible to sustain..And those types of diets can wreak havoc on other physiological functions...Hair, nail and skin ailments/conditions, menstrual issues, etc..

It's worth your time and effort to get this done..especially if its been a while since your last workup...

Good luck....:)

TFY

• Like 1
Ruby Slippers

I've always found that when I cut down on white bread and similar carbs, it makes a big difference. Emphasis on vegetables, fruits, lean proteins + a decent level of activity and you can't go wrong.

I'm also a big fan of green juice. My favorite blend is 20 calories a cup and makes me feel amazing.

• Like 2
This is a good idea. I've never made my lunch the night before like I would if I was going out of the house for work. I ate a lot healthier when I worked outside the home. I had a pretty strict plan when I packed lunches.

That; one thing then - it would make you 'feel bad' if you don't eat what is prepped.

I am not a fan of feeling bad myself having done diets for almost 20 years and cracking it myself - purely through th method I already posted here earlier.

But you work from home too so do you get up, shower, get ready for the day at all?

You have a dog - your dog would ADORE going out to sniff the lamp posts for 'doggie news' every day twice a day for half an hour.

You're missing out on fulfilling doggie life and your own exercise.

This is the simple stuff you would do each day if you didn't work from home.

Do you have a 'problem food or drink' or a problem food or drink habit?

If not, it's possible you just need to move more and daily.

I started my fitness pal “app” 3 years ago and lost 30 lbs and have kept it off, I still use it to maintain, its the best thing that’s worked for me long term, I’ve logged in 1125 days in a row now. You might want to check it out.

• Like 1
  • Author
CautiouslyOptimistic
Loved the game. Huge congrats on the birds CA

Amazing!!!! Love these guys. One of my high school friends is mama to one of these boys and he had an amazing play tonight and is being talked about a lot, and I'm sooooo happy for him and their whole famliy :). The amazing Christian testimony this team has, too, is a blessing to me <3. I just love the Eagles :).