LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Physical Fitness, Health & Weight Management

intermittent urinary symptoms - anxiety related?

Physical Fitness, Health & Weight Management Staying fit and physically healthy is essential! Remember, we aren't subsitutes for your physician! As always, talk to your doctor before following any suggestions or advice!

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th January 2018, 10:29 PM   #1
Established Member

intermittent urinary symptoms - anxiety related?

Still getting this slight sensation of awareness with a slight urge to pee and this disturbs my sleep as now I'm waking up as a result of it. It's more like an awareness of my body. Ill wake up to this around 3/4 am, sometimes 1am, so only an hour after falling asleep. Other times though, I have just gone back to sleep instantly and it's been fine.

Sometimes it makes me want to pee but most of the time I don't need to go so I don't, so it's not really that severe and that's the thing, it's never been a strong sensation, more of an awareness of these parts of the body and this "slight sensation" of wanting to pee. The times I have been I'll void an average amount (250ml maybe), nothing major but then that sensation or whatever it is I just can't put my finger on lingers for a bit and still can't really get back to sleep for a while. So maybe this isn't related to the peeing but rather to something that is waking me up at these odd times of the night.

Like for example, last night I woke up at like 1am feeling this sensation. I did not drink much before bed which was around 12midnight (did have cup of tea 500ml around 9pm). The only other noticeable symptom is this slightly strange, taste in my mouth upon waking. Again not sure what that's about. This is really frustrating as I've gone from someone who had zero issues with sleep to disturbed/middle of the night insomnia type sleeping patterns.

Anyone else get these symptoms? Possible anxiety related cause? It's just strange I have never had any pain at all or anything like that the entire time.
despairingbuttrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2018, 10:35 PM   #2
Established Member

Are you male or female? How old?

Half a liter of tea at 9pm WILL insure you need to get up in the middle of the night.

Are you on any meds?
Old 26th January 2018, 3:23 AM   #3
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestUSA View Post
Are you male or female? How old?

Half a liter of tea at 9pm WILL insure you need to get up in the middle of the night.

Are you on any meds?
I'm male, 34 these symptoms have been occurring for more than 2 months, especially the night time symptoms.
I've never had pain or burning or straining when peeing and there's no pain whatsoever anywhere else.
Been to the doctor obviously, had urianalysis samples done 4 times, all normal, tested my blood glucose level several times using home testing kits before/after meals and that's normal too. Had a DRE and to my surprise, the doctor said my prostate was slightly enlarged however it was very smooth and normal in that regard. It shocked me because I didn't expect someone my age to have this but the doctor wasn't overly concerned about it and said it's not abnormal and this can happen and it's nothing hugely to worry about. Nevertheless it's got me really anxious now. He gave me a PSA form so I'm going to go and get that done. I realise that prostate enlargement is a benign condition and there is no link to cancer but I don't know, I'm a little worried. Am I right in thinking that the smoothness and surface/texture of the prostate is more important than the actual size?

He thinks that my symptoms are more likely due to a slight over-active bladder than anything else.
Old 26th January 2018, 3:52 AM   #4
Established Member

I'm female, 50yo. When I wake up with that odd 'need to pee but really don't' feeling, I curl myself into a pillow so that the pillow supports my torso, but particularly my bladder.

Back to sleep in an instant zzzzzz
basil67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2018, 7:19 AM   #5
Established Member

I should have read your other thread.

Get the PSA done to ease your mind. Talk to a urologist if you have to, about your concerns re prostate shape, etc.

But my best guess is that anxiety is driving your focus. Why did you come off of the remeron? You can't rule out side effects, even if you've been off of it a while.

Has anyone suggested hypochondria?
MidwestUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2018, 2:41 PM   #6
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestUSA View Post
I should have read your other thread.

Get the PSA done to ease your mind. Talk to a urologist if you have to, about your concerns re prostate shape, etc.

But my best guess is that anxiety is driving your focus. Why did you come off of the remeron? You can't rule out side effects, even if you've been off of it a while.

Has anyone suggested hypochondria?
Yes I definitely have hypochondria tendencies. I think I do need to relax and rest assured that it's not the worst case but my anxiety won't let me. I can't even focus at work as I'm spending my time on prostate cancer forums and dominating them one by one.

The remeron just wasn't working just like every other anti-depressant I've been on. Also I was thinking that maybe it was causing these symptoms as side effects but it's been about 3 weeks now since I've been off them.
Old 27th January 2018, 1:51 AM   #7
Established Member

Why do prostate issues, if you have them, flare up or become more evident when you’re in bed overnight? Is it something to do with being prone/lying down?

The last few days now, I've woken up around 2am with a stronger urge to pee, however it's still not strong enough to actually make me go pee. Sometimes I'll fall back to sleep only to wake up again around 4-5am with that urge still present but again if I just lie in bed it sort of lessens and once I actually get up it's not really there. So it's literally just present when it wakes me up.

Also I have this strange taste in my mouth for a short while upon waking.

My actual urination frequency is normal, that's volumes (about 2-2.5l a day) and number of times I'm going (4-5 times/day), it's just that at night time I keep waking up at these odd times even though I've made sure I didn't drink anything before bed.
Old 28th January 2018, 3:47 AM   #8
Established Member

All I know is, our bodies don't digest the same at night vs morning and daytime. Having tea at night could be the reason. Try not to have any liquids in the evening and see if that helps or changes anything.

Is there something else going on though? Stress in your life etc? Or is this situation giving you anxiety.
whichwayisup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2018, 3:48 AM   #9
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by despairingbuttrying View Post
Why do prostate issues, if you have them, flare up or become more evident when you’re in bed overnight? Is it something to do with being prone/lying down?

The last few days now, I've woken up around 2am with a stronger urge to pee, however it's still not strong enough to actually make me go pee. Sometimes I'll fall back to sleep only to wake up again around 4-5am with that urge still present but again if I just lie in bed it sort of lessens and once I actually get up it's not really there. So it's literally just present when it wakes me up.

Also I have this strange taste in my mouth for a short while upon waking.

My actual urination frequency is normal, that's volumes (about 2-2.5l a day) and number of times I'm going (4-5 times/day), it's just that at night time I keep waking up at these odd times even though I've made sure I didn't drink anything before bed.
Always go pee at night when you have the urge! Even if you think you don't have to go!
Old 31st January 2018, 3:58 PM   #10
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwayisup View Post
All I know is, our bodies don't digest the same at night vs morning and daytime. Having tea at night could be the reason. Try not to have any liquids in the evening and see if that helps or changes anything.

Is there something else going on though? Stress in your life etc? Or is this situation giving you anxiety.
No question I am anxious over this issue, it is consuming alot of my time and thought recently because I just think the worst case scenario - prostate cancer even though at my age there is a 1 in 10,000 chance of getting this. Yet I'm not reassured by this fact. I had a PSA test done today and I'm scared about the results from that.

I'm still having these and and off strange urinary patterns with disturbed sleeping patterns too where I'd wake up at like 1am and then sometimes at 5am.

So yesterday for example I drank around 3.5l but then voided a total of almost 4.5 litres! But then today I've voided around 900ml and drunk around 2l. Most other days it's been an average of around 1.6 - 2.5 litres which is fairly normal. However on occasions I'll sometimes have an urge to pee twice in 2 hours DESPITE NOT HAVING DRUNK in between. In other words, say I drank 1.5l, about an hour later, I'll get the urge to go and void 700ml and then another hour later I'll get another urge and void the same amount. Why is this? My bladder filled up despite not having drink anything in between. I wonder if this is simply the extra urine that was waiting to be emptied from my kidneys into my bladder or what?

My flow rate is still fine and again no straining, burning, no pain etc.
That's why I'm confused as to whether it's my prostate or something else.

Another big thing is that I occasionally feel a little off after I peed, like “on edge” almost rather anxious and not quite myself. Can’t quite describe it. Then other times where I feel totally normal. Comes and goes. This is the same kind of sensation I've felt waking up in the middle of night.
Old 31st January 2018, 10:12 PM   #11
Established Member

Anticipatory anxiety is the worst. Getting test results will ease your mind regardless of what the results are, not knowing and worrying is worse than facing the truth, especially when your mind goes to places it shouldn't and is negative.

Go talk to your Dr again, tell him/her all your symptoms and get blood work done just to make sure all is okay. Your chances of having something is really slim but i think once you get to talk to your DR again, you'll feel a bit better, let them ease your worries.
Old 10th February 2018, 9:24 PM   #12
Established Member

Quote:
No question I am anxious over this issue, it is consuming alot of my time and thought recently because I just think the worst case scenario - prostate cancer even though at my age there is a 1 in 10,000 chance of getting this. Yet I'm not reassured by this fact. I had a PSA test done today and I'm scared about the results from that.

I'm still having these and and off strange urinary patterns with disturbed sleeping patterns too where I'd wake up at like 1am and then sometimes at 5am.

So yesterday for example I drank around 3.5l but then voided a total of almost 4.5 litres! But then today I've voided around 900ml and drunk around 2l. Most other days it's been an average of around 1.6 - 2.5 litres which is fairly normal. However on occasions I'll sometimes have an urge to pee twice in 2 hours DESPITE NOT HAVING DRUNK in between. In other words, say I drank 1.5l, about an hour later, I'll get the urge to go and void 700ml and then another hour later I'll get another urge and void the same amount. Why is this? My bladder filled up despite not having drink anything in between. I wonder if this is simply the extra urine that was waiting to be emptied from my kidneys into my bladder or what?

My flow rate is still fine and again no straining, burning, no pain etc.
That's why I'm confused as to whether it's my prostate or something else.

Another big thing is that I occasionally feel a little off after I peed, like “on edge” almost rather anxious and not quite myself. Can’t quite describe it. Then other times where I feel totally normal. Comes and goes. This is the same kind of sensation I've felt waking up in the middle of night.

I don't know how to say this, but your obsessiveness is disturbing. Are you actually collecting urine to measure?

The body doesn't work the way you're thinking. Urine isn't stored in the kidneys (although there is a condition called reflux, which I don't suspect in your case). Ever heard the expression drinkers use? Once you pee the first time, you'll be peeing every fifteen minutes.

There are others ways your body loses fluid - sweating, regular respirations, through the GI tract, etc., so you can't measure input and expect an exact corresponding output. Your body is busy processing things at all times, digestion, for example, and it's not operating on a precise schedule.

What was your PSA, and what kind of help are you getting for your OC tendencies? I suspect your waking at night is a result of your obsession, and not your urinary tract. It's just what you focus on after waking.

How was your sleep while on Remeron? It's my understanding that it's suppposed to help greatly. Get some help, please. Good luck.
Old 13th February 2018, 9:42 PM   #13
Established Member

Quote:
Yes I definitely have hypochondria tendencies. I think I do need to relax and rest assured that it's not the worst case but my anxiety won't let me. I can't even focus at work as I'm spending my time on prostate cancer forums and dominating them one by one.
You're everywhere!. I'm on one of the prostate cancer forums that you were on recently..

Cancer is so much easier to live with and deal with than what you are going through.

Ever get that PSA done yet? (I already know the answer to that). There's only one answer to your problem.....get off the computer....and take some action.

I'll tell ya here what I told you there......get the test. You don't have to like it....you just have to do it.

(You DO NOT have prostate cancer.)

Then? Go get laid. don't ask your pastor for permission....tell him after the fact.

Killing yourself over religious beliefs seems....contradictory....at best.

Besides....you got nothing to lose.

Last edited by whatnot; 13th February 2018 at 9:46 PM..
whatnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2018, 9:50 PM   #14
Established Member

delete..............

Last edited by whatnot; 13th February 2018 at 10:03 PM..
whatnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2018, 10:39 PM   #15
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnot View Post
You're everywhere!. I'm on one of the prostate cancer forums that you were on recently..

Cancer is so much easier to live with and deal with than what you are going through.

Ever get that PSA done yet? (I already know the answer to that). There's only one answer to your problem.....get off the computer....and take some action.

I'll tell ya here what I told you there......get the test. You don't have to like it....you just have to do it.

(You DO NOT have prostate cancer.)

Then? Go get laid. don't ask your pastor for permission....tell him after the fact.

Killing yourself over religious beliefs seems....contradictory....at best.

Besides....you got nothing to lose.

Granted, one can probably find a study that supports just about anything you can think of, but here ya go:

Frequent masturbation increases the risk of prostate ca, while intercourse lowers it.

https://www.prevention.com/health/pr...r-risk-factors

So, get busy! It's good exercise, and those endorphins will help your anxiety. You really need to address that if it's affecting your performance at work.