Need to change my lifestyle.

I am so frustrated with myself.

I am 28 years old. 5'8. For years, I was between 158-160 pounds.

2 years ago, I started gaining weight and it's been progressing slowly.. I am now 215 pounds. 215! Just christmas week alone I gained 8 pounds.

Do I eat unhealthy? Yes. Is it so much worse than before, when I was a steady 160 for YEARS? No. My lifestyle has changed.. I do work a desk job now spending 9 hours a day sitting down, for the most part.

But could that really be it? I mean.. I still exercise 1-2 times per week (not high intensity stuff, but eliptical at about a 15 resistance for a half hour each time). I spend a lot of time on the road so find myself eating a lot of fast food lately.. but I still can't figure out how I am gaining so much weight.. I also eat a lot of salads, especially around dinner time.

My main problem is that I have a sweet tooth. Growing up, my mother was addicted (literally) to ice cream and soda.. she didn't cook, all we ate was tv dinners and microwave meals... but I was always stick thin up until about 2 years ago. So when I try to go on a diet (I've done Slimfast and haven't lost ANY weight.. I've done Nutrisystem a couple of years ago and lost about 15 pounds but gained it back. I've tried Nutrisystem again a few weeks ago but failed due to my sweet tooth, and starvation). I tried the keto diet... not for me. I only lasted a day.

I guess I'm looking for some kinda reassurance. I don't think I know how to diet. I like vegetables and chicken, turkey burgers, etc... But I don't eat beef, pork or fish/seafood. I don't drink soda. I'm SO ready for a change. I need to get my body back and feel healthy again. I need tips. What kind of "diet" should I go on to lose 50 pounds? I'm also willing to take a supplement to curb my appetite or aid in my weight loss journey..

I'm old school... Not into any of those fad diets and think they are actually very unhealthy. I don't believe there is a quick fix. If there was, someone would have found it by now...

You have identified the problem. Cut out the fast food and the sweets, and increase your exercise...

I know, easier said than done. I'm trying to do the exact same thing right now. You are not alone.

Happy Lemming

I noticed my weight had crept up this past year. So in September I decided I would start walking in the morning. I've been getting up at 5:30am and walking 5 miles every morning. I've also been very careful with my diet; taking note of what I eat, how much and what time.

I've lost 21 pounds and have 4 to go, then my BMI will be back in the healthy range.

My advice... lose the weight slowly, be methodical. I also purchased an inexpensive pedometer that connects to my computer. It has graphs, etc. I'm able to compare my weight loss to the pedometer graph. I'm a visual person, so seeing all of the data on the screen helps motivate me.

I don't have a sweet tooth, so I have no advice how to defeat it.

I haven't been in a fast food place since the late 90's. If I'm traveling I pack a lunch in a small cooler.

When you shop for food, read the label, completely.

Just my two cents...

Good luck and hope you succeed!!

• Like 2

First, the easiest weight loss trick: Don't drink calories

Fizzy drinks, fruit juice, a glass of wine, milkshakes, hot drinks with sugar or cream in, all these can easily add up to an entire meal's worth of calories per day on their own. Cutting them out is pretty easy. Drink water, green tea, or tea/coffee with no sugar or cream and little milk.

Otherwise, cut out snacks and start reading the labels of food you eat. Especially things you might forget to count like sauces. Rice? Great. With Korma sauce? You've probably doubled or trebled the calories. Salad? Great. With Salad cream or mayo? Not so much...

As for exercise... I'm afraid 1-2 sessions a week of moderate intensity for 30 mins is essentially negligible. It's not intense enough to benefit your cardio much, not hard enough to benefit your muscles, and not enough exercise to burn a significant amount of calories. Happy Lemming has the right idea... even though it's low intensity, walking 5 miles every morning will burn a LOT of calories (also due to being awake longer in your day because of the early start). That's likely too much of a commitment for most, but could you start the day with 20-30 mins of intense exercise? Hill sprints or a fast morning run?

• Like 1

I feel like this happens a lot in late twenties/early thirties. Though sonce you mention dieting and not losing weight I would start by getting a checkup to see if you don’t have some kind of hormonal troubles*that need fixing.

It also looks like you’ve relied on your metabolism a lot but it slows down as we age. You talk about eating a lot of junk food and that’s probably a factor.

What do you drink on a daily basis? A lot of people underestimate the am’unt of sugar in juice and soft drinks.

The best way I found to deal with eating on the go is tonspend Sundays doing all my linches for the week (including snacks)

If you have access to a microwave I can send you a couple of good recipes that can be frozen.

Also look into getting a sit-stand station for work. It allows you to work standing up and sitting down sonyou avoid the problems associated with doing wither all day long.

If your employer won’t get you one, I’d say it’s well worth the investment, especially if you’re working up to nine hours a days.

Go out and walk during your breaks. Up a set of stairs if possible.

DON’T cut out snacks! Change them to healthier lower calory options.

Good luck!

CautiouslyOptimistic

Meal planning and putting a cooler in your car with prepared healthy foods and snacks. Drink only water. I know you said you don't drink soda, but how about other sugary foods and drinks like iced tea or juice?

For your sweet tooth, just Google ideas for low calorie replacements such as jellow/whipped cream.

Keep lots and lots of gum in your car and chew it. Throw it out when the flavor starts to leave, and put a new piece in your mouth :).

• Like 1
lucy_in_disguise

I'd wager that most people would gain weight with a sedentary job, almost no exercise, and a diet full of fast food. So, you are right that you need a lifestyle change!

Unfortunately there is no quick fix. Luckily, moderate improvements on all fronts will probably curb the weight gain and may produce some results. Some easy changes:

-set a limit on the number of fast food meals per week, replacing with chicken/ veggies/ salad

-choose healthier options at the fast food places. Most restaurants, even fast food establishments, have a range of options).

-replace the fast food with prepared meals from a grocery store

-commit to exercising 3 days a week instead of 1-2. (You can change up the routine or add more days once you get in the groove)

-if you have any interest in running at all, you can do a couch to 5k program. You'll improve your cardio fitness and feel a sense of accomplishment at the same time. Or, if you're already a runner, challenge yourself to run a longer distance, or at a faster speed. It can be helpful to have fitness goals that are not directly tied to your appearance.

lifestyle changes take a long time to "stick" so in my experience it's best to go slow to ensure the changes are ones you can keep. Otherwise you can get in a pattern of setting unrealistic goals or resolutions and getting discouraged when you don't see results. Focus on the underlying behaivior/ habit, not the scale, and you will build up the foundation for a healthier lifestyle.

Edited by lucy_in_disguise

Portion control. When you learn what a serving is you will be shocked. I was. Did you know that one package of Raman noodles is actually 2 servings? That's ridiculous but it's helpful info.

I have a sweettooth too. You need to find healthier substitutes. One of my favorites is a Fiber One brownie -- only 90 calories but very chocolatey.

You can eat what you want, even candy, cookies & ice cream but you can only have a little bit. I keep lindor truffles in the house but eat 1. It's about 36 calories. When you eat 10 the problems start.

Since you travel for work & find yourself eating fast food, you need to invest in a lunch box & pack your meals before you leave home. When you have available good food you won't need to stop for the bad stuff. If you are out & pressed for time, skip the drive through in favor of the buffet at a grocery store where you can make better, more lo cal choices.

Don't think of it as a diet. Stay away from the fads like Slimfast & nutrisystem. They are all about deprivation which sets you up to fail. You are making lifestyle choices & changes.

Build in movement. Park in the farthest spot from your office door so you have to walk the length of the parking lot. Use the restroom on a different floor & take the stairs.

Add a tracking / weightloss app to your phone & keep track of what you eat. When you realize what you are putting in your body, you will behave more responsibly.

• Like 2
Happy Lemming

I forgot to mention one thing...

Home made soups!!

I make a home made veggie soup in my big crock pot. It is easier to control the salt content if I make it yourself. I throw in onions, celery, peas, carrots (sometimes corn or pinto beans) and hot sauce, to give it a kick. Let it cook overnight. Then I put it in portion sized containers and freeze it. I'm sure you have a favorite vegetable, throw it in your soup!!

You can also heat up on of the containers and put it in a soup thermos for the times when you are traveling.

Just my two cents...

• Like 1
CautiouslyOptimistic

Add a tracking / weightloss app to your phone & keep track of what you eat. When you realize what you are putting in your body, you will behave more responsibly.

Yes, great idea. MyFitnessPal is a great app, but I'm sure there are others as well.

Plus one on MyFitnessPal. Like other said you need to get your diet under control. No sugar. No fast food. Anything else you do is just wasting time and effort until you get that cleaned up.

todreaminblue

i found out i have diabetes type 2 recently and i dont want it...because i have to take meds...not a fan of that.......so ...im going to try and reverse it...since finding out i have dropped two pant sizes by changing what i eat and drink(soft drink and junk including chocky) and then also cutting back on portions....i am a bit of a cook...love cream sauces and rich food........my second oldest son got gout....basically from the sauces reductions and gravies he could drink like soup that i make.....so i try not to make them....i have to lose some weight before i undertake a heavy exercise program including weightlifting..eventually i want to feel confident enough to take up dancing and kickboxing again.......

im starting next week with pool walking and water based exercises with a good friend of mine we are going to motivate each other and ill spend time with her more regularly so i am glad about that.I have been told i am going to have loose skin around my belly.....and legs...i have had five children....and am way over my ideal weight.....so the doc has told me i may qualify for therapeutic skin removal of the apron.its not about the look its about where the skin will be interfering with fitness and exercises and heavy and causing rashes and lesions with rubbing..which means i am going to be mutilated at the end of my weight loss...sort of scared about that....someone hacking into me under general anesthetic.....

anyway im changing my whole lifestyle choices.....i gave up cigarettes today....i have a vaporiser..... my mum gave up too.....i find it really helpful to have a partner in crime...someone i would also want to encourage and motivate them, by me staying strong for them and them motivating me back..someone who understands it isnt easy or hasnt forgotten how it cycles through ups and downs....go through those ups and downs together... get fit together

its why i have posted the post i have to you......i hope you dotn feel im switching it to me......... i want to show support and let you know my journey too.....it doesnt come easy.....i know how hard it can be..... i have in the past lost a lot of weight.....it works better for me when doing a fitness lifestyle with someone who understands and we invest in each other.....

do you know of any one friends or family who might join you in your mission(it really is a mission)...a buddy system....deb

• Like 2
Happy Lemming
i found out i have diabetes type 2 recently and i dont want it

I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but my girlfriend was also recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, as well.

She has a major sweet tooth. So I've been making home made cakes and cobblers with Xylitol. We checked with her dietician who told her Xylitol was a good choice for baking and gave the "green light" to bake with it.

It is kind of expensive, but it satisfies her sweet tooth, so its a win in my book.

Best of luck...

• Like 1
Meal planning and putting a cooler in your car with prepared healthy foods and snacks.

To me, one of the most important things. I surround myself with fruit and rice crackers so I'm led not into temptation. You can't control your hunger but you can control what's within arm's reach to satisfy the cravings...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 2
thefooloftheyear

The weight of the average American has steadily grown...I believe the average woman now weighs over 170 lbs...Egad....

But all everyone talks about is diet, diet, diet....

Like there were never cakes, pasta, sugar laden soft drinks, junk food, etc, until recently?? Nonsense....In fact people of past generations ate far worse(or at least as worse) as people do today...About the only thing different is maybe some folks eat out more often...But that alone wouldn't account for this massive and exponential increase in average weight..

Activity level needs to increase....By doing so, you create a body that burns calories around the clock...If you try to do it with diet alone, you may succeed, but you will be so severely calorie restricted that it likely wouldn't be sustainable over the long haul...Additionally, I have seen people that have done this, and quite frankly while they are physically smaller, they don't actually have an appealing body...It looks more like a deflated balloon...

Get it going...Feel your muscles work,..Make your body utilize what evolution has endowed it with...Then you can actually eat food and not worry so much about it...In fact, you will need to feed it...

TFY

• Like 2
  • Author

Thank you everybody for so much of your great advise!

Last night I purchased a subscription to BeachBody on Demand and am starting the 21 Day Fix (workout!) today after work.

I'm also getting little plastic containers to meal plan for about a week in advance and stick them in my refrigerator. I am also going to download MyFitnessPal. Great app, I deleted it from my phone months ago when I plateoued.

Getting it right this time!! Thank you all so much again for all of the inspiration.

• Like 2
Thank you everybody for so much of your great advise!

Last night I purchased a subscription to BeachBody on Demand and am starting the 21 Day Fix (workout!) today after work.

I'm also getting little plastic containers to meal plan for about a week in advance and stick them in my refrigerator. I am also going to download MyFitnessPal. Great app, I deleted it from my phone months ago when I plateoued.

Getting it right this time!! Thank you all so much again for all of the inspiration.

Go go go go!