Women, do you wear makeup?

Cookiesandough

I used to enjoy doing my makeup. Lately, I have lost the will. I can barely will myself to put some mascara, eyeliner, and lipgloss on, and even then I try to go quickly and it feels like a chore. I wonder if it’s just because I am getting older or if it’s because I’ve gone a long time without wearing makeup out and about it seems pointless

It’s become a standard for women to wear makeup. Even in the workplace, when who wear makeup are taken more seriously as it makes them look more “polished” and “put together”. Often the woman wearing makeup will get most jobs over the one who doesn’t. My skin doesn’t benefit from skin makeup like foundation but I imagine for those that it does you get comments like “you look so tired today” on days you don’t wear eye circles concealer.

My ex said he preferred me to not wear makeup(surprise). Eveey woman notices how men invariably say this, yet invariably lust after women with make up on? And he met me with make up on.

Just wondering how many women here wear make up. Is it by choice? Do you actually enjoy it or do you just do it because you like the way you look afterwards or both? Do you ever get sick of it?

• Like 1
CautiouslyOptimistic

Yes, I wear makeup. I look quite tired all the time if I don't wear at least eye makeup, and I like the look of my skin better with foundation and some blush. I go to the gym without it and don't wear makeup at home if I'm not leaving the home, and I'll still answer the door like that :). But, I look better with makeup on than without.

• Like 4
  • Author
Cookiesandough
Yes, I wear makeup. I look quite tired all the time if I don't wear at least eye makeup, and I like the look of my skin better with foundation and some blush. I go to the gym without it and don't wear makeup at home if I'm not leaving the home, and I'll still answer the door like that :). But, I look better with makeup on than without.

Are those your eyes in your profile pic? They are beautiful.! I felt the same as you... feel I look better with it, but I also used to like doing it. I’ve begun to feel exhausted at the thought of doing it. I’m worried this means I’m depressed , like when you stop eating, which is probably ridiculous because it’s an unnecessary thing and I’m sure plenty of women never wear it. Nothing else has changed I just never feel like doing it although I used to LOVE it. I hope this is a phase

FilterCoffee

I’m a guy and i don’t use makeup but my previous girlfriends always put a little on before going out. For work, my ex would just use eyeliner because she thought she looked sleepy without it (I didn’t think so). On regular dates, she would add some lip colour and for more important occasions (weddings, anniversaries) she would also use a little foundation.

I thought my ex was beautiful even without makeup but when she did put it on it always gave me the butterflies :)

• Like 2
RecentChange

I wear makeup if "going out" in the evening for dinner or cocktails etc. Or for parties, social gathering etc.

I also wear makeup when I have important meetings, giving presentations, or have big wigs from home office stopping by - basically any time I am putting on "business" clothes rather than business casual.

Otherwise? Nope, I don't really wear make up. I don't wear it to work daily. I don't wear it to go shopping or run errands.

I do try to take good care of my skin. My goal is to have my skin looking good without makeup, and lessen the development of any wrinkles. So I wear sunscreen religiously. I use a very gentle cleanser and a daily retinol cream. I drink plenty of water.

I appreciate the compliments I get on my skin way more than the ones I get for my lipstick ;)

• Like 6

I wear minimal make up. Eyes and lips and even that is minimal. Four products in total.

I have make up I could wear like eye shadow and concealer and I probably should wear it because I do look much better with it on but right now in this cold weather my biggest concern is moisturizer.

• Like 1
  • Author
Cookiesandough

I was reading a feminist blogger about it after having the thought ‘why do i feel I should do this to go to this event’(nye) and basically the blogger went into how for women it is almost necessity to wear make up in the corporate world and men don’t have to suffer it. Sorry, I see it as suffering right now. She used an example that she has dark circles under her eyes genetically and when she did not wear the make up her boss basically suggested that she looked a bit tired that day. She use the example of how women spend lots of money slathering their faces with expensive creams that often I have harsh chemicals in them and put little white tips on their toenails and men do not do this. And yes leg shaving.lol

• Like 1

As with all things I do them for me. I think if she's doing it for men or their approval she has bigger worries than if her eyes are done.

• Like 3
  • Author
Cookiesandough

Her boss was a woman lol she basically suggested she looked unkempt that day. Oh well. Edit: nope I’m not doing my makeup today .

• Like 1
CautiouslyOptimistic
Are those your eyes in your profile pic? They are beautiful.! I felt the same as you... feel I look better with it, but I also used to like doing it. I’ve begun to feel exhausted at the thought of doing it. I’m worried this means I’m depressed , like when you stop eating, which is probably ridiculous because it’s an unnecessary thing and I’m sure plenty of women never wear it. Nothing else has changed I just never feel like doing it although I used to LOVE it. I hope this is a phase

Yes, those are my eyes and thank you. I'm wearing makeup ;). I know what you mean, and I do think it can be a symptom of being depressed, because I get like that. But for me, it's everything.....getting ready at all beyond just taking a shower. "Ugh....I would go out and do that thing, but that means I'll have to get ready.....eh, nevermind." (One of my New Year's resolutions is to not be like this anymore....or at least get there eventually). If you're still going out, you're probably ok and it might just be more of an indication of you becoming more comfortable in your own skin, which is a good thing :).

I actually enjoy applying makeup more now than I did when I was younger. Maybe because as I age I feel like I need it more, so I might as well like experimenting! One of my favorite things now is my month Ipsy bag :).

• Like 1
  • Author
Cookiesandough
As with all things I do them for me. I think if she's doing it for men or their approval she has bigger worries than if her eyes are done.

You go girl!!! Only do things for you :D

Yes, those are my eyes and thank you. I'm wearing makeup ;). I know what you mean, and I do think it can be a symptom of being depressed, because I get like that. But for me, it's everything.....getting ready at all beyond just taking a shower. "Ugh....I would go out and do that thing, but that means I'll have to get ready.....eh, nevermind." (One of my New Year's resolutions is to not be like this anymore....or at least get there eventually). If you're still going out, you're probably ok and it might just be more of an indication of you becoming more comfortable in your own skin, which is a good thing :).

I actually enjoy applying makeup more now than I did when I was younger. Maybe because as I age I feel like I need it more, so I might as well like experimenting! One of my favorite things now is my month Ipsy bag :).

Yes I completely understand what you mean. It starts the ughhhh I have to do this process vs doing it for fun. Lately I’ve been having this thing wear my eyelashes always look uneven when I put mascara on and i poke my eyes because I’m trying to rush through it. it frustrates me to no end. I just googled Ipsy bag and it looks fun!!!

• Like 2
Her boss was a woman lol she basically suggested she looked unkempt that day. Oh well. Edit: nope I’m not doing my makeup today .

Oops....I thought you said it was for men that we do ourselves up. Anyway I enjoy doing make up because it's like art in a way but it seems the more often you go out like that the more you need to maintain that look. Especially if you put in a lot of effort in the daytime too.

• Like 1

Nah its all too complicated. Plus I love my natural face :) Lord knows if I tried to do make up, I’d look like a clown.

Most I wear daily eyeliner and a nude lipstick.

I do spend a ton of time on skin care tho. Korean Skin care is my life right now...

• Like 1
I wear makeup if "going out" in the evening for dinner or cocktails etc. Or for parties, social gathering etc.

I also wear makeup when I have important meetings, giving presentations, or have big wigs from home office stopping by - basically any time I am putting on "business" clothes rather than business casual.

Otherwise? Nope, I don't really wear make up. I don't wear it to work daily. I don't wear it to go shopping or run errands.

I do try to take good care of my skin. My goal is to have my skin looking good without makeup, and lessen the development of any wrinkles. So I wear sunscreen religiously. I use a very gentle cleanser and a daily retinol cream. I drink plenty of water.

I appreciate the compliments I get on my skin way more than the ones I get for my lipstick ;)

Girl please try the 10 step Korean skin care routine. That has changed the skin care game for sure.

• Like 1
RecentChange
I was reading a feminist blogger about it after having the thought ‘why do i feel I should do this to go to this event’(nye) and basically the blogger went into how for women it is almost necessity to wear make up in the corporate world and men don’t have to suffer it. Sorry, I see it as suffering right now. She used an example that she has dark circles under her eyes genetically and when she did not wear the make up her boss basically suggested that she looked a bit tired that day. She use the example of how women spend lots of money slathering their faces with expensive creams that often I have harsh chemicals in them and put little white tips on their toenails and men do not do this. And yes leg shaving.lol

I do... and don't agree with this. First, I am going to say yes. Between makeup, and high heels, women are still getting the short end of the stick when it comes to corporate dress.

That said - men have to shave their face daily, or keep their facial hair very well groomed and trimmed for the corporate look. Same goes for very frequent haircuts, often manicures, pressed suits etc.

As for her dark circles, she set precedent by wearing make up every day. Meanwhile, I never made makeup a part of my standard attire, but do get comments about looking extra polished on my dressed to impress days.

She looks off on the days she doesn't wear make up, because they are used to seeing her with it. If she went natural more often, she wouldn't look "tired" without it, she would look "normal".

• Like 5
RecentChange
Girl please try the 10 step Korean skin care routine. That has changed the skin care game for sure.

First. 10 step? I ain't got no time for that. Second, didn't you say pricey? Yeah no thanks, I actually worked in the skin care business at one point in time. A lot of it is smoke and mirrors or hocus pocus.

Show me something science backed and I will be a believer. Really, genetics are going to be your best ally when it comes to skin. I am 39 and have to study my face to find a fine line. My sister is 48 and has perfect skin (no crows feet, no lines, no wrinkles). My mother always had excellent skin. Now, from a fairly young age I was taught to try to avoid sun damage which is a biggie.

As for "Korean skin care products" yes many Asian cultures place a lot of importance on smooth skin. And you will see an aversion to sun exposure is a big part of the regime (and again, genetics play a huge role).

• Like 3

Yep, I do wear makeup every day and love it. It relaxes me, let's me be somewhat creative, it's the part of my morning routine that I'm mostly looking forward. And it makes me look better.

Men and make up - they make me laugh. When I broke up with my ex he said I was never wearing make up for him :lmao::lmao::lmao: Dude, I wear 10 + products daily and spend a small fortune in Sephora but yet he can't notice it because I wear primarily natural colors. He'd notice, if anything, red lipstick. That's it :D

I don't think WELL applied make up looks fake - if one knows how to apply it - it is barely detectable. E.g. foundation should NOT be visible IMO. If one can notice it - the application sucks.

Good quality make up is also not bad for the skin - quite the contrary. It has similar if not better ingredients than white skincare. Only negative: cost.

But to me a good make up needs to be cohesive. E.g. if I go out slapping mascara or lipstick only - it looks fake / half-done. All parts need to be mastered & aligned to make sense. Otherwise - better not bother because it looks worse than bare face.

Oh, and I DON'T have go-out vs 'regular' look. I may amp up a bit at night but it is about the same. I don't create theatrical looks :D Just enhanced self.

• Like 3
CautiouslyOptimistic
Yep, I do wear makeup every day and love it. It relaxes me, let's me be somewhat creative, it's the part of my morning routine that I'm mostly looking forward. And it makes me look better.

Men and make up - they make me laugh. When I broke up with my ex he said I was never wearing make up for him :lmao::lmao::lmao: Dude, I wear 10 + products daily and spend a small fortune in Sephora but yet he can't notice it because I wear primarily natural colors. He'd notice, if anything, red lipstick. That's it :D

I don't think WELL applied make up looks fake - if one knows how to apply it - it is barely detectable. E.g. foundation should NOT be visible IMO. If one can notice it - the application sucks.

Good quality make up is also not bad for the skin - quite the contrary. It has similar if not better ingredients than white skincare. Only negative: cost.

But to me a good make up needs to be cohesive. E.g. if I go out slapping mascara or lipstick only - it looks fake / half-done. All parts need to be mastered & aligned to make sense. Otherwise - better not bother because it looks worse than bare face.

Oh, and I DON'T have go-out vs 'regular' look. I may amp up a bit at night but it is about the same. I don't create theatrical looks :D Just enhanced self.

I agree with all of this. Especially about the good quality makeup. I won't pay an arm and a leg for mascara or eye liner, but I will for a good foundation that is not bad for my skin. I use Younique and I love it, even though I have to buy two different shades and blend them to get the right shade.

• Like 2

I went through a phase when I was a teen of loving makeup and slathering on foundation, eyeliner, mascara, eyeshadow, and even lipstick when I knew I wouldn't eat for a while. I've weaned myself off, mostly just out of laziness but also because I've become a bit more comfortable with my appearance without make up. I will say that I am a student and I work in a place in which I don't feel pressured to look "kept" or "presentable" (teach kids at an art studio).

I too feel like its a bit of a chore for most days so I keep it simple. I always use a tinted moisturizer and fill in my eyebrows - rarely will I leave the house without doing that. And then, depending on the day, I will usually put on mascara. I will go without it. Since I was 12, I started a regimented skin care routine that I stick to because I have had bad skin and breakouts since I was that age. Those have mostly calmed down now, thankfully!

I love when I get a chance to glam up though, that's when I'll do the whole nine yards. Frankly I don't think I look a lot "better" with make up, I just think I look MUCH different. I love being able to transform in that way!

Take the time to do make up if it makes you feel good! If you don't feel like it, than bah! I feel its a self care thing and relaxing for many people, but for some people it's tedious and in the way.

• Like 3
First. 10 step? I ain't got no time for that. Second, didn't you say pricey? Yeah no thanks, I actually worked in the skin care business at one point in time. A lot of it is smoke and mirrors or hocus pocus.

Show me something science backed and I will be a believer. Really, genetics are going to be your best ally when it comes to skin. I am 39 and have to study my face to find a fine line. My sister is 48 and has perfect skin (no crows feet, no lines, no wrinkles). My mother always had excellent skin. Now, from a fairly young age I was taught to try to avoid sun damage which is a biggie.

As for "Korean skin care products" yes many Asian cultures place a lot of importance on smooth skin. And you will see an aversion to sun exposure is a big part of the regime (and again, genetics play a huge role).

It’s actually not that long halfthe steps aren’t done everyday but I could see why the name might sound like a lot lol. Of course I am a big advocate of listen to ur skin and do your own research. Don’t buy expensive things you can’t afford but look for alternatives. I’m only 23 so I can’t afford most of the advertised products but I look for ones with similar ingredients and what works best for my skin. Plus the core of Korean skin care is moisturize, which I don’t think u can ever go wrong with that.

The r/Asianbeauty on reddit has great threads about customizing 10 step Korean skin care to your specific needs and budget.

• Like 1

Men may not have to suffer makeup in the corporate world, but they have to wear suits and shoes and socks on really hot days. They also have to do appropriate facial hair grooming. No gender gets out of this one easier than the other.

• Like 5
I agree with all of this. Especially about the good quality makeup. I won't pay an arm and a leg for mascara or eye liner, but I will for a good foundation that is not bad for my skin. I use Younique and I love it, even though I have to buy two different shades and blend them to get the right shade.

Absolutely, cheap mascara or eyeliner do the job just the same way as expensive ones if not better, but foundations, concealers etc - not so much. I use YSL Touche Eclat which is expensive but one bottle lasts me a whole year. And yeah, having 2 shades to mix is a great tip - even if you have a shade match skin color changes a bit throughout the year.

• Like 1
Men may not have to suffer makeup in the corporate world, but they have to wear suits and shoes and socks on really hot days. They also have to do appropriate facial hair grooming. No gender gets out of this one easier than the other.

Oh, I really think the guys have the short stick in terms of office wear. The code is much more stiff for guys and I don't envy them whatsoever for having to show up in long pants and socks during the summer.

• Like 2
LivingWaterPlease

I do eyes and lips very simply for work or events. At home I don't do anything at all if I'm not going out and esp if tanned.

Have never worn eye shadow but was advised to take off "that awful colored eye shadow" once in a situation though I wasn't wearing any. :confused:

I have never worn foundation, as it's unflattering on me.

I guess you could say I never get road rage but often get "make-up rage" :mad: as it irritates me so much to have to apply it!:)

• Like 1

At my last job, our manager went on a work trip for about a week and during that week my co-worker stopped wearing makeup. I kind of noticed that she wasn’t wearing makeup, but not really. Well, when our manager came back, someone told her that the coworker didn’t wear makeup the entire week that she was gone, and the manager actually gave her a talking to about it. That coworker was extremely unpopular and was always starting drama and was always late with her work so maybe that factored into why our manager came down so hard on her over makeup.

Before that, I always viewed wearing makeup to work as a choice for a woman to make for herself, but after that, it didn’t really seem like too much of a choice anymore.

• Like 1