LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Physical Fitness, Health & Weight Management

Women, do you wear makeup?

Physical Fitness, Health & Weight Management Staying fit and physically healthy is essential! Remember, we aren't subsitutes for your physician! As always, talk to your doctor before following any suggestions or advice!

Like Tree189Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th January 2018, 9:06 PM   #76
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basil67 View Post
If it's a friend who says it, they are saying it because you look tired and they are concerned.

While it may suit your agenda to think that everyone is disguising nastiness in caring, it's simply not true.
HUH?? What agenda? This is my opinion and my personal experience.

My 'friends' don't tend to say this out of caring as much as people whom I don't know coming in off the street and seeing me in a public place like the grocery store, mostly acquaintances but sometimes even strangers.

As for the people I know... not all of whom are friends... It is a veiled insult more often than not. Especially if you're normally pretty with make up on and they know it. Then, if they're that kind of person, they won't miss the opportunity to find a way to insult you if they see you looking less than perfect. And telling someone how 'tired' they look when they're actually not, is an easy put down to get away with. No one can outright call you on it, but you can usually tell by tone of voice and body language that they're definitely not being "caring". People can be catty.

The world is cruel to women. I can't help if some can't see this....
Fair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2018, 1:07 PM   #77
Established Member

If I have to spend a couple of hours with continuous and direct exposure to very bright sunlight without any shades (e.g., in a beach in the bright summer), then I would absolutely wear a hat that is good enough to protect myself or even carry an umbrella, as I wouldn't feel comfortable without anyway. I might put on some sunblock in that situation. The thing is, I think this sun protection thing has been blown out of proportion by the cosmetic industry, and we see many women would insist on putting on sunblock whenever they just see a bit of the sun.

I think most 40-year-old women of East Asian origin are mistaken to be 25-30 years old, and I know the skincare routine for many of them consists of putting on a bit of moisturizer in the winter when it feels dry, because, again, their skin would feel uncomfortable otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentChange View Post
If we are talking about fair skin, sun absolutely causes damage. I have certainly seen its affects first hand. Growing up in a beach town, where women loved to tan, we started coining the phase "leather skin ladies". Saw the same thing among my fellow equestrians (we spend a lot of time outside). Wrinkled, spotted, dry skin.

And science backs it, here is a slide show from the Mayo Clinic on the damage sun does to skin.

Specifically how sun damage causes wrinkles:
https://www.mayoclinic.org

[...]

Out here in California, a lot of people spend time outdoors and in the sun. Heck, I can see the effects on most of my friends from high school. We are all outdoorsy types, except for when they were tanning, I was covering up.

(side note, but its common to see local Asian women with driving gloves, massive sun hats or even masks, umbrellas on sunny days etc. They know about sun damage and avoid it on their fair skin)

Now I get comments like "don't you age?!" and I joke about hey - remember when you all teased me for never getting a tan!

Yep, I am going to brag here. People comment on my skin often. They act flabbergasted when I tell them I am 39, and say that the skin on my face makes me appear 10-15 years younger.

You know what got my skin really glowing? Simplifying my routine.

I use Cetaphil cleanser twice a day. A daytime retinal cream with SPF, and a night time retinal cream.

Thats it. This has taken my what used to be blotchy complexion with oily and dry zones to SMOOTH, clear, moisturized and supple.

I used to sell hocus pocus for $100 a half once. I have used some spendy skin care regimes as I was a rep for them in college. My skin looks better now than it ever did with this very very simple and cheap routine.
JuneL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2018, 4:49 PM   #78
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair View Post
HUH?? What agenda? This is my opinion and my personal experience.

My 'friends' don't tend to say this out of caring as much as people whom I don't know coming in off the street and seeing me in a public place like the grocery store, mostly acquaintances but sometimes even strangers.

As for the people I know... not all of whom are friends... It is a veiled insult more often than not. Especially if you're normally pretty with make up on and they know it. Then, if they're that kind of person, they won't miss the opportunity to find a way to insult you if they see you looking less than perfect. And telling someone how 'tired' they look when they're actually not, is an easy put down to get away with. No one can outright call you on it, but you can usually tell by tone of voice and body language that they're definitely not being "caring". People can be catty.

The world is cruel to women. I can't help if some can't see this....
At least women get the socially acceptable option to wear makeup to cover their flaws. A man has to live with them every day.

The world can be cruel, period. This is not a gender-specific issue, nor do we need people to try their best to make it one.
enigma32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2018, 4:52 PM   #79
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma32 View Post
At least women get the socially acceptable option to wear makeup to cover their flaws. A man has to live with them every day.

Some of us just grow beards.
GorillaTheater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2018, 5:02 PM   #80
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaTheater View Post
Some of us just grow beards.
As do some women
Old 8th January 2018, 6:01 PM   #81
Established Member

Yeah, men will say they don't like makeup and then point to a "natural looking" model who spent 2 hours in the chair putting her face on. Ever seen Kate Moss without makeup? She just kind of isn't there.

Wear it when you want to and don't wear it when you don't. I started going to makeup artists for lessons in the 1960s for their advice and how to do it right. It was a good thing to do. When out in the music world, I wore a lot of makeup. I wore none as a hippie before that. Since then I wear minimal makeup (because of my age -- the more you put on, it just makes wrinkles more obvious). I'd give anything to have unwrinkled eyes again so I could really bring out my eyes, but oh, well.

Just do what you feel on any given day. Most people look better with makeup, but not everyone is wearing makeup right, so get a few makeup makeovers and take notes.
Old 9th January 2018, 11:25 AM   #82
Established Member

I hate putting on makeup but generally feel more confident wearing a minimum. I normally work from home and don't bother, but when I do go in to the office, I will usually mix a drop of foundation into my moisturizer to even out my skin tone, and do my eyebrows, which are very scant.

If I am going out or to a wedding or something, I will also wear eyeshadow and mascara, though I don't like how easily it smudges on me.

I am amazed by women who are able to consistently look totally pulled together with their hair, nails, and makeup always done. Washing my hair, shaving, blow drying my hair, and putting on a full face of makeup takes me no less than 1.5 hours. I find the process very boring so don't often bother. I do think people treat me differently (better) when I've done all the works.
lucy_in_disguise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2018, 12:20 PM   #83
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy_in_disguise View Post
. Washing my hair, shaving, blow drying my hair, and putting on a full face of makeup takes me no less than 1.5 hours..
It is just a matter of practice like anything else. I never spent over 10-15 min for full face of make up (including the skin prep). I hate blow drying and I'm lucky to be able to go without it, but running a flatiron usually takes me another 10-15 min if that (and I have very long, thick and wavy hair).
No_Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2018, 12:21 PM   #84
Established Member

I guess to me the whole "people treat me better when I'm wearing makeup" thing is kinda like "people treat me better after I got rich and starting buying dinners for them". Sure they might... but is that really what you want? I know it's not what I want, anyway. If someone needs me to wear makeup to treat me right, I'd rather have as little as I possibly can to do with them.

I suppose with jobs it can be a bit more iffy - certainly it would be extremely frustrating if you found yourself passed over for promotions due to that. But I personally have never found that to be the case - as I said, I never wear makeup and am currently leading a development team 2+ years after graduating. I think that this may be a bigger issue in some fields than others.
Old 9th January 2018, 12:29 PM   #85
Established Member

Edited to add: It does somewhat annoy me that the standards of "looking dressed-up" for men and women are so different, lol. The female version takes hours (hair removal, hairstyling, makeup, choosing undergarments, accessories), and the male version (slicking up your hair and putting on a suit and shiny flat shoes) takes 15 minutes! Plus all the added discomfort for women with foundation garments, tight garments, having to be more careful with your hair and makeup, and wearing heels.

E.g. for our wedding, it's estimated that it will take me 3 hours on the day to get ready - and that's not including all the prep (manicures, much more shopping, etc) beforehand! The SO will likely take 15 minutes.

But I'm okay with it on rare occasions, I guess. Not a huge deal.
Elswyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2018, 12:47 PM   #86
Established Member

I always wear makeup to work or if I am going out anywhere important like church or to lunch/dinner with friends. I don't wear it if I'm just running to the grocery store, ect. I wear under eye concealer, a little powder and blush, some neutral eye shadow and mascara, and usually chapstick or a neutral lipstick. I like to stick with the natural look and use as little makeup as I can get away with.
BC1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2018, 12:54 PM   #87
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma32 View Post

The world can be cruel, period. This is not a gender-specific issue, nor do we need people to try their best to make it one.
That's a good point that I hadn't even considered. On a kind of different note, every man I've dated has preferred me without much makeup. My last ex preferred me with no makeup at all actually. I wonder if that's how most men think?
BC1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2018, 1:23 PM   #88
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1980 View Post
That's a good point that I hadn't even considered. On a kind of different note, every man I've dated has preferred me without much makeup. My last ex preferred me with no makeup at all actually. I wonder if that's how most men think?
Personally, I think the SO likes a bit of it for special occasions, but not for day-to-day use. It isn't the makeup itself that bothers him for the everyday use but rather how much time it takes, though. We pride ourselves in being able to be at the door in 5 minutes if we spontaneously decide to go out - and much of our going-out is spontaneous.
Elswyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2018, 3:09 PM   #89
Established Member

I only wear make-up when I have to - weddings or big occasions like that, more in an effort to 'blend in' than because I like it. I feel even the slightest bit of make-up or cream on my skin as I'm hyper-sensitive to that kind of things, so for me it's a chore and it's physically uncomfortable.

I don't feel more feminine with makeup on either - if anything, I probably feel at my most feminine when I'm as natural as possible.

That said, if others find it improves their appearance or their confidence or they just like it, good for them too.
littleblackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2018, 4:52 PM   #90
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1980 View Post
Most guys I know, yeah. Personally, while I think ladies look good with their makeup done well, this is not how I want to see her every day. It's just fake to me. I like how women naturally look.