LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Physical Fitness, Health & Weight Management

Women, do you wear makeup?

Physical Fitness, Health & Weight Management Staying fit and physically healthy is essential! Remember, we aren't subsitutes for your physician! As always, talk to your doctor before following any suggestions or advice!

Like Tree189Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th January 2018, 2:46 AM   #61
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2B View Post
No makeup... I'm pretty without it! 😀
LOL. I had to check but you don't say... are you male or female?
Fair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2018, 2:48 AM   #62
S2B
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair View Post
LOL. I had to check but you don't say... are you male or female?
I'm female
S2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2018, 3:00 AM   #63
Established Member

Quote:
Ah, but men and women are socialized differently. Women's worth as human beings in our twisted society are tied up with our looks in everyone's mind whether they're conscious of it or not, whereas men aren't valued solely for their looks, so it's a far different scenario. No one hates a man or devalues him for looking like sh**. But women get a far different message.
Oh, but they do. Again, we as men just don't say anything about it. Good looks will help a man succeed just as much as they will a woman, and any bad traits we have will subject us to scorn as much or more than any woman. Again, the difference is, we don't speak up about it. And if we did, that would just subject us to more scorn.
enigma32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2018, 4:29 AM   #64
Established Member

Quote:
Tell me, what right do they think they have to come up to your face and tell you how awful you look? "Tired" is just a tamed down way of telling you that. It's always insulting!
If it's a friend who says it, they are saying it because you look tired and they are concerned.

While it may suit your agenda to think that everyone is disguising nastiness in caring, it's simply not true.
basil67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2018, 4:32 AM   #65
Established Member

Quote:
Ah, but men and women are socialized differently. Women's worth as human beings in our twisted society are tied up with our looks in everyone's mind whether they're conscious of it or not, whereas men aren't valued solely for their looks, so it's a far different scenario. No one hates a man or devalues him for looking like sh**. But women get a far different message.
I'm female. I have never felt that people see my value as being solely tied up in my looks. Perhaps you're projecting?
Old 4th January 2018, 7:44 AM   #66
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basil67 View Post
If it's a friend who says it, they are saying it because you look tired and they are concerned.

While it may suit your agenda to think that everyone is disguising nastiness in caring, it's simply not true.
i was a bit anxious when i read about it being offensive when you say someone looks tired....when i say it to someone it is normally a friend i say it to..i actually say it a fair bit....and i only ever mean to say it so they know i am concerned that i notice they look tired ...that i care to see that they are and if they need to talk its an opportunity for them to share why they look so tired......i also you look worried or you seem a bit quiet today or you dont seem yourself..... are you ok.......my friends dont seem to mind....i dont feel that they do....they normally open up to me......i really hope that they dont mind or find me offensive.......i thought it was actually me trying to be a good friend to ask and want them to feel noticed.....good or bad..i also tell them good things i notice......deb
todreaminblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2018, 8:23 AM   #67
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by todreaminblue View Post
i was a bit anxious when i read about it being offensive when you say someone looks tired....when i say it to someone it is normally a friend i say it to..i actually say it a fair bit....and i only ever mean to say it so they know i am concerned that i notice they look tired ...that i care to see that they are and if they need to talk its an opportunity for them to share why they look so tired......i also you look worried or you seem a bit quiet today or you dont seem yourself..... are you ok.......my friends dont seem to mind....i dont feel that they do....they normally open up to me......i really hope that they dont mind or find me offensive.......i thought it was actually me trying to be a good friend to ask and want them to feel noticed.....good or bad..i also tell them good things i notice......deb
Yes, exactly. I hope that most people aren't cynical enough to interpret concern as an insult.
Old 4th January 2018, 9:45 AM   #68
Established Member

I don't use any creams, including sun screen. I know, I know. Up until 2 years ago, I used to go to a beach to get tanned. I am in an office during work week so I may not get as much cumulative sun exposure...I also don't get sun burnt easily.

I would still say that I have a pretty good skin for being in late 30s. It's naturally oily (which I used to hate) and I break out if I try any moisturazer. The only thing I did was get Botox shots on 2 areas every 1-2 years now. I think they make more long term difference than face creams do.

I never wear a foundation or a concealer, I don't even own them....I think I don't need them but I am sure some would disagree I just wear eyeliner, mascara and lip gloss to work. A bit of bronzer in winter. When I go out, I add an eye shadow and more dramatic eye liner and mascara. I don't really feel it's a chore because it takes about 5 minutes daily. My hair always looks terrible so it's a much bigger issue :/
Old 4th January 2018, 6:31 PM   #69
Established Member

Oh yeah I wear makeup all the time, I add eyeliner and mascara and lipstick and the stuff that makes your cheeks red, I do all that.

People at school keep giving me weird looks, I just don't understand why.
GuitarGuy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2018, 6:34 PM   #70
Established Member

Quote:
I'm female. I have never felt that people see my value as being solely tied up in my looks. Perhaps you're projecting?
I have. But only by one person--my ex-husband.
CautiouslyOptimistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2018, 7:51 PM   #71
Established Member

Quote:
I grew up in a very religious Christian house hold with super strong gender roles but it was so conservative makeup was a big sin for women, so I have never associated being a woman as having to wear makeup.
HiCrunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2018, 10:03 PM   #72
Established Member

Studies have shown that women who wear makeup and dress well fare better at work in terms of pay and promotions than women who don't. And the benefits in the dating marketplace are obvious.

I wear "natural" makeup to work: sheer powder foundation, a hint of blush, mascara, very light wash of eyeshadow, touch of lipstick when I'm in the mood.

I sometimes wear a bit more for going out.

When running errands or visiting family, I often wear none.
Ruby Slippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2018, 11:28 AM   #73
Established Member

I don't like wearing foundation. I get compliments on my skin now and then so I hope I don't miss much. My eyes are too sensitive so I usually skip eye makeup (even organic makes me blink too much). But they have a nice shape so I can live with them being less than perfect and non hypnotising.

I only wear blush (mineral) on a daily basis and lipstick sometimes. These two I really need as they light up my face. Without them I can look a bit washed out even though I am dark haired. I've used up lots of blushes and lipsticks so far!
gone_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2018, 3:31 PM   #74
Established Member

I love makeup, I see it as an artistic expression of me that adds polish and adds to my appearance. I wear a natural look for work and a bit more for going out. None at the gym though!
PhillyLibertyBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2018, 4:24 PM   #75
Established Member

Quote:
Unless you're a real, natural beauty people can be quite openly rude at times or catty if they see you without makeup. Especially if they normally see you wearing it. The world is very hard on women.

If I didn't need it I wouldn't wear it at all... I don't like the time it takes to put it on and just feel it's a whole big hassle. When I go out without makeup, a pair of dark sunglasses keeps people from telling me I look 'tired."

Tell me, what right do they think they have to come up to your face and tell you how awful you look? "Tired" is just a tamed down way of telling you that. It's always insulting!

Everyone is focused on a woman's looks in a way they never are with men. It's another burden we have to put up with.
Pretty sure I'm not a huge natural beauty, but I never wear makeup and I've never gotten this except when I genuinely WAS tired (didn't sleep the previous day so had dark circles around eyes). Indeed if you always wear it and skip a day, people might genuinely mistake the changed appearance as tiredness. Not everyone is familiar with the effects of makeup, especially men - if you look around the makeup threads here for instance you'd see lots of men talking about how great this or that woman looks without makeup, and then as an "example" they link a woman with perfectly-done full face "natural look" makeup.

But yeah. I really wouldn't immediately associate those comments with malice. I also really don't think women are always "required" by society to wear makeup in their everyday lives - as I said, I never wear it and am quite happy with my relationship and career. Of course, it depends on the job and the man... but the thing is, we get to choose both of these. If it's important to you to be valued for things other than your appearance, you can make decisions in your life to increase the odds of such.

Is it harder for women than for men? Yeah, probably. Does it suck? Sure, especially in areas other than makeup where there really are strong societal expectations (like hairless legs). But it's not really as extreme or impossible as you make it out to be.