LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Physical Fitness, Health & Weight Management

Women, do you wear makeup?

Physical Fitness, Health & Weight Management Staying fit and physically healthy is essential! Remember, we aren't subsitutes for your physician! As always, talk to your doctor before following any suggestions or advice!

Like Tree189Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd January 2018, 2:24 PM   #16
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiCrunchy View Post
Girl please try the 10 step Korean skin care routine. That has changed the skin care game for sure.
First. 10 step? I ain't got no time for that. Second, didn't you say pricey? Yeah no thanks, I actually worked in the skin care business at one point in time. A lot of it is smoke and mirrors or hocus pocus.

Show me something science backed and I will be a believer. Really, genetics are going to be your best ally when it comes to skin. I am 39 and have to study my face to find a fine line. My sister is 48 and has perfect skin (no crows feet, no lines, no wrinkles). My mother always had excellent skin. Now, from a fairly young age I was taught to try to avoid sun damage which is a biggie.

As for "Korean skin care products" yes many Asian cultures place a lot of importance on smooth skin. And you will see an aversion to sun exposure is a big part of the regime (and again, genetics play a huge role).
RecentChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2018, 3:30 PM   #17
Established Member

Yep, I do wear makeup every day and love it. It relaxes me, let's me be somewhat creative, it's the part of my morning routine that I'm mostly looking forward. And it makes me look better.

Men and make up - they make me laugh. When I broke up with my ex he said I was never wearing make up for him Dude, I wear 10 + products daily and spend a small fortune in Sephora but yet he can't notice it because I wear primarily natural colors. He'd notice, if anything, red lipstick. That's it

I don't think WELL applied make up looks fake - if one knows how to apply it - it is barely detectable. E.g. foundation should NOT be visible IMO. If one can notice it - the application sucks.

Good quality make up is also not bad for the skin - quite the contrary. It has similar if not better ingredients than white skincare. Only negative: cost.

But to me a good make up needs to be cohesive. E.g. if I go out slapping mascara or lipstick only - it looks fake / half-done. All parts need to be mastered & aligned to make sense. Otherwise - better not bother because it looks worse than bare face.

Oh, and I DON'T have go-out vs 'regular' look. I may amp up a bit at night but it is about the same. I don't create theatrical looks Just enhanced self.
No_Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2018, 4:00 PM   #18
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Go View Post
Yep, I do wear makeup every day and love it. It relaxes me, let's me be somewhat creative, it's the part of my morning routine that I'm mostly looking forward. And it makes me look better.

Men and make up - they make me laugh. When I broke up with my ex he said I was never wearing make up for him Dude, I wear 10 + products daily and spend a small fortune in Sephora but yet he can't notice it because I wear primarily natural colors. He'd notice, if anything, red lipstick. That's it

I don't think WELL applied make up looks fake - if one knows how to apply it - it is barely detectable. E.g. foundation should NOT be visible IMO. If one can notice it - the application sucks.

Good quality make up is also not bad for the skin - quite the contrary. It has similar if not better ingredients than white skincare. Only negative: cost.

But to me a good make up needs to be cohesive. E.g. if I go out slapping mascara or lipstick only - it looks fake / half-done. All parts need to be mastered & aligned to make sense. Otherwise - better not bother because it looks worse than bare face.

Oh, and I DON'T have go-out vs 'regular' look. I may amp up a bit at night but it is about the same. I don't create theatrical looks Just enhanced self.
I agree with all of this. Especially about the good quality makeup. I won't pay an arm and a leg for mascara or eye liner, but I will for a good foundation that is not bad for my skin. I use Younique and I love it, even though I have to buy two different shades and blend them to get the right shade.
CautiouslyOptimistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2018, 4:33 PM   #19

I went through a phase when I was a teen of loving makeup and slathering on foundation, eyeliner, mascara, eyeshadow, and even lipstick when I knew I wouldn't eat for a while. I've weaned myself off, mostly just out of laziness but also because I've become a bit more comfortable with my appearance without make up. I will say that I am a student and I work in a place in which I don't feel pressured to look "kept" or "presentable" (teach kids at an art studio).

I too feel like its a bit of a chore for most days so I keep it simple. I always use a tinted moisturizer and fill in my eyebrows - rarely will I leave the house without doing that. And then, depending on the day, I will usually put on mascara. I will go without it. Since I was 12, I started a regimented skin care routine that I stick to because I have had bad skin and breakouts since I was that age. Those have mostly calmed down now, thankfully!

I love when I get a chance to glam up though, that's when I'll do the whole nine yards. Frankly I don't think I look a lot "better" with make up, I just think I look MUCH different. I love being able to transform in that way!

Take the time to do make up if it makes you feel good! If you don't feel like it, than bah! I feel its a self care thing and relaxing for many people, but for some people it's tedious and in the way.
jade_98765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2018, 4:48 PM   #20
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentChange View Post
First. 10 step? I ain't got no time for that. Second, didn't you say pricey? Yeah no thanks, I actually worked in the skin care business at one point in time. A lot of it is smoke and mirrors or hocus pocus.

Show me something science backed and I will be a believer. Really, genetics are going to be your best ally when it comes to skin. I am 39 and have to study my face to find a fine line. My sister is 48 and has perfect skin (no crows feet, no lines, no wrinkles). My mother always had excellent skin. Now, from a fairly young age I was taught to try to avoid sun damage which is a biggie.

As for "Korean skin care products" yes many Asian cultures place a lot of importance on smooth skin. And you will see an aversion to sun exposure is a big part of the regime (and again, genetics play a huge role).
Itís actually not that long halfthe steps arenít done everyday but I could see why the name might sound like a lot lol. Of course I am a big advocate of listen to ur skin and do your own research. Donít buy expensive things you canít afford but look for alternatives. Iím only 23 so I canít afford most of the advertised products but I look for ones with similar ingredients and what works best for my skin. Plus the core of Korean skin care is moisturize, which I donít think u can ever go wrong with that.
The r/Asianbeauty on reddit has great threads about customizing 10 step Korean skin care to your specific needs and budget.
HiCrunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2018, 6:39 PM   #21
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiesandough View Post
I was reading a feminist blogger about it after having the thought Ďwhy do i feel I should do this to go to this eventí(nye) and basically the blogger went into how for women it is almost necessity to wear make up in the corporate world and men donít have to suffer it. Sorry, I see it as suffering right now. She used an example that she has dark circles under her eyes genetically and when she did not wear the make up her boss basically suggested that she looked a bit tired that day. She use the example of how women spend lots of money slathering their faces with expensive creams that often I have harsh chemicals in them and put little white tips on their toenails and men do not do this. And yes leg shaving.lol
Men may not have to suffer makeup in the corporate world, but they have to wear suits and shoes and socks on really hot days. They also have to do appropriate facial hair grooming. No gender gets out of this one easier than the other.
basil67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2018, 10:03 PM   #22
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CautiouslyOptimistic View Post
I agree with all of this. Especially about the good quality makeup. I won't pay an arm and a leg for mascara or eye liner, but I will for a good foundation that is not bad for my skin. I use Younique and I love it, even though I have to buy two different shades and blend them to get the right shade.
Absolutely, cheap mascara or eyeliner do the job just the same way as expensive ones if not better, but foundations, concealers etc - not so much. I use YSL Touche Eclat which is expensive but one bottle lasts me a whole year. And yeah, having 2 shades to mix is a great tip - even if you have a shade match skin color changes a bit throughout the year.
Old 2nd January 2018, 10:04 PM   #23
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basil67 View Post
Men may not have to suffer makeup in the corporate world, but they have to wear suits and shoes and socks on really hot days. They also have to do appropriate facial hair grooming. No gender gets out of this one easier than the other.
Oh, I really think the guys have the short stick in terms of office wear. The code is much more stiff for guys and I don't envy them whatsoever for having to show up in long pants and socks during the summer.
Old 2nd January 2018, 10:49 PM   #24
Established Member

I do eyes and lips very simply for work or events. At home I don't do anything at all if I'm not going out and esp if tanned.

Have never worn eye shadow but was advised to take off "that awful colored eye shadow" once in a situation though I wasn't wearing any.

I have never worn foundation, as it's unflattering on me.

I guess you could say I never get road rage but often get "make-up rage" as it irritates me so much to have to apply it!
LivingWaterPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2018, 3:44 AM   #25
Established Member

At my last job, our manager went on a work trip for about a week and during that week my co-worker stopped wearing makeup. I kind of noticed that she wasnít wearing makeup, but not really. Well, when our manager came back, someone told her that the coworker didnít wear makeup the entire week that she was gone, and the manager actually gave her a talking to about it. That coworker was extremely unpopular and was always starting drama and was always late with her work so maybe that factored into why our manager came down so hard on her over makeup.

Before that, I always viewed wearing makeup to work as a choice for a woman to make for herself, but after that, it didnít really seem like too much of a choice anymore.
Yosemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2018, 3:51 AM   #26
Established Member

Almost never. If we're going out to dinner, I might wear eyeshadow or mascara and some foundation, but that's it. I don't wear makeup to work. It's just not worth the money and energy and none of my co-workers care.

(I do, however, use undereye cream, cleansers, serum and moisturizer religiously. Everyone, male or female, ought to take skincare seriously if they don't want to look like a handbag by age 40.)
lana-banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2018, 4:15 AM   #27
Established Member

I don't wear makeup or heels to work. I did when I was younger, but then I got over it and realised that my performance is what matters far more. I was in my early 30s when I stopped. Don't get me wrong, I'm still put together in a suit every day and well groomed. I just don't feel that makeup and heels are a necessary part of that, and I've had no complaints! And I work in predominately office (or onsite project) environment in a multi-nat where many women are done up to the nines every day regardless. I love that I can actually get ready for work without a mirror if I need to

I agree that a lot of the beauty and cosmetics industry is smoke and mirrors. I have sensitive skin and in my mid-20s was referred to a dermatologist that recommended three simple products to me (a cleansing bar, moisturizer and sun screen) that I can get at most drug stores and still use today. I'm now in my late-40s and still bright eyed and wrinkle free. (Admittedly I'm also mostly vegan, work out including lifting most days, and don't do sun exposure... I think this also helps immensely.)

That being said, I love getting dressed up to go out. Including makeup and (very) high heels. And I do love mani-pedis, waxing, and my four-weekly visits to the hair salon. I find it immensely pleasurable to indulge in beauty stuff when I feel like it.
SolG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2018, 5:41 AM   #28
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lana-banana View Post
Almost never. If we're going out to dinner, I might wear eyeshadow or mascara and some foundation, but that's it. I don't wear makeup to work. It's just not worth the money and energy and none of my co-workers care.

(I do, however, use undereye cream, cleansers, serum and moisturizer religiously. Everyone, male or female, ought to take skincare seriously if they don't want to look like a handbag by age 40.)
Staying out of the sun is the best way to avoid looking old by 40. I know older people who've got lovely skin but used minimal skin care. They simply wore hats and sunscreen.
Old 3rd January 2018, 5:42 AM   #29
Established Member

I don't need makeup for work because I'm a carer. My makeup only comes out if I'm going to dinner or a party.
Old 3rd January 2018, 7:10 AM   #30
Established Member

I'm one of those guys that prefer women without makeup. My GF almost never wears the stuff. I almost always date more natural looking women.

In the grand scheme of things, makeup will make a girl look better. That is kinda the point as it covers up imperfections. So, in a work setting, it likely will help a woman out if she wears some kind of makeup. That isn't to say that makeup is some instrument of oppression against women, it is more of a tool to help ladies succeed.
enigma32 is offline   Reply With Quote