Anyone tried the Keto Diet?

I am sorry if this is redondant, I have searched the forum and didn't find anything related to Keto.

I would like to shed a few pounds before the holidays and was wondering about this Keto diet. Anyone tried it? Your result and impression?

Thank you,

Don't do it. You'll feel horrible when the keto flu sets in.

If you want to shed lbs, give up alcohol and exercise. If you don't like working out, walk an hour a day.

Limit carbohydrates to 100g per day sourced from vegetables, oatmeal, quinoa, sweet potato, beans and lentils. Lay off white carbs and sugar.

Veggies over fruit.

Also before bed, 2 TB of lemon water, 2 TB of Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar and 12 oz. of water. The ACV will help lower your blood sugar and help with your insulin resistance.

If you have 15 units of alcohol a week, 150 x 15, that's a day's worth of extra calories you're fighting right out of the gate.

• Like 4
  • Author

I have always disliked alcohol so non existant in my life. My demons are carbs for sure. I did 1 month of lean meat, veggies and fruits, I lost 8-lbs in that month I was very happy but I had to fight hunger every hour of the day so after a month I gave up.

What is the keto flu?

Keto flu is after 3 days of no carbs, you feel sick. Headache, no energy etc.

My other tip, would be drink LOTS of water. At least 100 oz. a day. Hungry, drink water.

Also, have one cheat day a week. Eat what you want. It will reset your leptin levels. Within reason. Want a donut, eat one. Want chips have some. Don't go overboard, but eat.

• Like 1

Don't go for a fad diet!!

I could tell you how I lost weight and still maintain it but if I do I need to know a few things first.

Do you ever eat snacks?

Do you eat meals at regular times of the day.

Do you eat anything which is labelled 'diet', 'fat free' or 'light'?

By saying 'the holidays' do you mean Christmas or something sooner?

What time frame are you looking at and how much are you looking to lose? I'm guessing it's not too much as you're pretty petite anyway.

My issue was always carbs too by the way!

I love carbs and will never cut them out of my daily life.

• Like 3
  • Author

Do you ever eat snacks? Yes, I must

Do you eat meals at regular times of the day. Yes always

Do you eat anything which is labelled 'diet', 'fat free' or 'light'? No

By saying 'the holidays' do you mean Christmas or something sooner? Xmas

What time frame are you looking at and how much are you looking to lose?I was aiming at 15-lbs I know it's a lot considering xmas is in 2 months. I'd be happy between 10 and 15.

• Like 1

I’ve been on light keto diet for a couple months. It’s not really a fad diet, medical professionals have been prescribing it since the 1920’s because it helps eliminate symptoms of epilepsy. An added plus is weight loss so I guess this is the season for that aspect of it to get it’s limelight. The goal of the diet is to put your body into a metabolic state that amps fat burning and keep it there.

The keto flu differs in severity from person to person but generally it does suck pretty hard if you get it - nausea, erratic bowel movement, mental grogginess and irritability. It can last up to 2 weeks or you can barely feel it at all. To me that’s the biggest adverse effect risk.

Most sources I’ve read say you’ll hit ketosis if you maintain intake anywhere from 20 to 50 net carbs a day for 3 days (not total carbs, net carbs, you don’t counts fibers and sugars). 20 is virtually guaranteed to trigger ketosis in anyone, but going above that gives you more options with eating and allows you to still trigger and maintain ketosis.

As for being on it, I’ve found it easy to sustain while keeping my net carbs goal. I dropped about 6 lbs of water weight the first week and continue to lose about 3/4 lbs a week. It has definitely boosted my mental clarity and energy levels.

As for your weight loss goal, if you’re trying to lose 5 - 8 lbs, you can probably shed it quickly on keto and keep it off because water weight goes first and fast. Anything over 8 lbs and I don’t know that any healthy sustainable diet program will get you to your goal weight in, what, 4 weeks (Thanksgiving)? On any wiegh loss plan it’s generally not recommended to try to lose more than a lb a week, and if you do you’re usually resorting to extreme measures (pure smoothie or juice diet, severe caloric deficiency).

This is a pretty meaty article explaining how it works, what your goals should be, and where the risk areas are. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/ketosis

If you’re good with dairy products and love meat, it’s great :D.

• Like 2
  • Author

Thank you Almond-Joy.

So far in the reviews I've read the comment always coming back was on that diet you don't feel hungry which should allow peope to remain on it longer. I think so.

Thank you Almond-Joy.

So far in the reviews I've read the comment always coming back was on that diet you don't feel hungry which should allow peope to remain on it longer. I think so.

Oh yes.

I have reverted to snacking in between meals but I used to only eat every 4 -6 hours. The keto centric meals definitely held over longer.

• Like 1

I lost 90 pounds 4 yrs ago and have kept it off. When I was really serious about it I had tons of energy and felt great. The last year Ive been on and off but wishing i could just stay on, more so I can have that great energy level than to lose weight. And, yeah, no appetite!

• Like 1
Eternal Sunshine

I have tried it. You don't feel hungry but you feel sick which to me is worse than hungry.

I gave up after a week or so. I had constant nausea, bowel problems and remember being so exhausted that I had to lie down on the floor at work. Not fun and not worth it.

• Like 2
  • Author
I lost 90 pounds 4 yrs ago and have kept it off. When I was really serious about it I had tons of energy and felt great. The last year Ive been on and off but wishing i could just stay on, more so I can have that great energy level than to lose weight. And, yeah, no appetite!

Congrats!! That's a very impressive accomplishment.

Congrats!! That's a very impressive accomplishment.

Thank you! I can't even believe I did it. I can't say enough good about keto. There's no doubt in my mind its the way I need to eat to stay healthy.

• Like 2

Download the Lose It app. Enter your goals. I usually get "allowed" 1,100 calories a day, and may add 500 with exercise (if I get out twice in one day) - but for me to lose weight, I can't eat my "exercise calories" I usually shoot for half of them (so I will eat 1,350 on an exercise day)

Track every single thing that goes in your mouth.

This is what has consistently worked for me! Got really lazy last year and put 12 pounds back on - in the process of shedding them back off. Now... Here is what I do (again, what works for me). The 5 little meals a day never worked for me (hungry all the time), instead I do something that is almost like intermittent fasting. I also avoid processed carbs.

Typical day:

Wake at 5:30

Around 9 am

Black coffee or coffee and cream (no sugar)

Around 10:30 Breakfast

2 eggs or 100 cals of soy protein or Greek yogurt (low sugar)

Apple (or other fruit, but for the sugar and fiber, apple is my go to)

1:00 pm

3 mile run

(Go for an hour long brisk walk bike ride, whatever works for you get moving)

2-3 pm Lunch

Vegis and protein (I often eat a riceless sushi roll, salmon or tuna, avocado, cucumber, carrot). Or cooked salmon and kale salad for instance (vinegar for dressing)

Piece of fruit.

At this point I have often eaten about 500 calories.

Then I either go ride my horse (more activity) or come home (lazy!).

I have dinner every night with my husband... And I enjoy big dinners.... And due to my light eating during the day, and activities I can have one.

Typical meals:

Sweet potatoes topped with protein, side of vegis

Grilled chicken and riced cauliflower "fried rice"

Lots of meat and veggie stir fries

salmon and veggies

I'll often have a big ol salad first (something chewy like kale)

For sweet treats I love Halo top ice cream, popsicles, and if I have an extra calorie allowance for the day apples and peanut butter.

When I am on diet mode I ditch bread and pasta, avoid sugars. I never drink calories. I really limit my beloved cheese. I have many big filling salads with light dressings. Lots of protein, and a good amount of healthy fats (I eat a lot of avocado and salmon).

For the most part it's meat and vegis and fruit.

• Like 1
thefooloftheyear

Lift weights.....and when you get tired....lift more....Look great and not have to worry so much about what you eat....;)

TFY

• Author
Lift weights.....and when you get tired....lift more....Look great and not have to worry so much about what you eat....;)

TFY

My daughter did some powerlifting and she melted like butter under the sun.

• Like 1
  • Author
Download the Lose It app. Enter your goals. I usually get "allowed" 1,100 calories a day, and may add 500 with exercise (if I get out twice in one day) - but for me to lose weight, I can't eat my "exercise calories" I usually shoot for half of them (so I will eat 1,350 on an exercise day)

Is this the same as myfitnesspal? I have used that app and did good on it. Anything I try I do it successfully for about 1 month, then I get disorganized for some reasos and I drop off of it.

Do you ever eat snacks? Yes, I must

Do you eat meals at regular times of the day. Yes always

Do you eat anything which is labelled 'diet', 'fat free' or 'light'? No

By saying 'the holidays' do you mean Christmas or something sooner? Xmas

What time frame are you looking at and how much are you looking to lose?I was aiming at 15-lbs I know it's a lot considering xmas is in 2 months. I'd be happy between 10 and 15.

Having seen this and also that you get a bit disorganised after a month my method could work for you. Plus, from your other thread you may have a bit of a change of lifestyle coming up working from home possibly for a while, it's not easy to plan a diet when part of your life is up in the air.

Before I started this I weighed myself, I wanted to lose about 3.5 stone and keep it off.

I lost 3.5 stone and over the last er..counting 14 years I have only put on a maximum of 7lbs, Kinda 'reset myself and lost it again. Over the first 6 months though I only lost weight.

The first thing is to start slowly shrinking your stomach and I thought this was going to be really difficult but within just a week it was kicking in for me.

Before I started I could eat a meal until I was stuffed full and then I'd go pick up an extra potato or four whilst clearing up the serving dishes!

The principle behind what I do is only eating when I am hungry and then stopping when I am full - bear with me and I'll explain it further in a bit.

The stomach shrinking part first:

Start out with your meals and snacks as normal but only eat them if you really are hungry.

When you are hungry, eat but every single time you lay out something to eat leave a tiny bit even if you still feel a little hungry.

The amount you leave at first can be a lettuce leaf, a bean, one quarter of a new potato - absolutely anything you want. But leave one little bit of something. Same for a snack, leave the last bit of that snack.

Don't start out putting less on your plate, serve up just what you always do.

The principle is the same if you have a 3 course meal too. Leav one little bit of each course.

During around the first couple of weeks you will feel a little bit hungry but it goes away quickly - literally it was 2 weeks for me. All it is that your stomach is getting used to eating just a little bit less so that you aren't full to capacity after a meal.

As you do this start to recognise the feeling you have right at the front right under your ribs where your stomach is.

Initially you won't know what it is you're trying to notice but I found putting my hand there, feeling, concentrating on that area helped me get it and again I got it in a couple of weeks pretty much. I learned when I felt comfortably full and it was a different feeling to feeling I had over eaten.

After a while (about a month from memory) , with snacks I would consider how close it was until lunchtime and whether I could last until then. The fact that you eat at regular times makes this easier actually.

If I am getting tummy rumbles at 11am and know I will be eating a meal at say 12.30pm then I can either eat that snack, leave a little but then know I wouldn't be able to eat all of my lunch or I could skip the snack.

I found that leaving a little bit each time led me to leave a little bit more (on the whole) and it wasn't through choice in my mind it was through listening to my body - one more bite and I would feel like I was going to be sick.

I started this at the end of October 2003. Afetr 2 weeks I weighed myself and had lost 8lbs.

I then decided not to weigh myself again until around my birthday in late March.

I just carried on in this way, if I would choose to eat a snack at 11am then I would realise I wasn't really hungry enough for lunch so I would grab a snack again - but a snack can be half of my lunch.

Next time it was time for afternoon snack I could eat the rest of my lunch or have what I had in for a snack.

So it's turned out that snacking doesn't stop for me if I want that snack but it does affect how much I am bale to eat at the next meal.

Some days I fancy a snack and then just snack through the day and eat my meal at night.

If I do overeat the effect the next day is that I get hungrier sooner and need more to eat.

I eat pretty healthily but do eat what I want when I want (as long as I am hungry).

You should start to feel hungry 1-2 hours before food always but when eating and you can recognise the feeling of comfortably full - that is the biggie (at least it was for me) in learning to eat less volume.

I didn't do much in the way of exercise at all while I lost the weight but I did lose that 3.5 stone by late March and I was amazed it had been so easy.

Once I got to the weight I wanted I started walking for walking's sake 3-5 times per week for about 20 minutes (dog walking is too slow - my dog would never keep up) .

For walking I would use the back of my thigh to push off with rather than walking normally and picking up my leg using the muscles from the front of my thigh and hip.

Walking like this briskly using the back of my thing and bum to push me forward tones up my legs, hips, tummy,& waist.

I've never stopped eating this way and like I said if I do put on a little weight I address it and concentrate again on leaving a little bit each time I eat.

When I go out for 3 course meals now I will have a starter and a main as being a carbs fan those are the courses I enjoy most.

If I do have a starter though I can guarantee I won't be able to eat all of the main meal. I also never have the bread they give you before a starter as I just wouldn't have the space in my stomach to fit a meal in.

But yeah, October to March I lost 3.5 stone with no effort, no weighing, no counting calories. My body got to the point of a happy weight for itself and one I was happy with also.

The 20 years prior to that I had been fluctuating up and down, been with weight watchers and tried slimming world and tried fads too.

This worked for me and has worked for 14 years!

You would have no trouble losing I reckon 10-11lbs by Christmas (slow and healthy rate) and by Feb you'll have lost your 15lbs. I'm being very careful with estimates here but looking at what I lost and knowing weight loss slows down a lot I must have lost much more than 15lbs by Christmas when I started this time of the year those 14 years ago.

The great thing too - I didn't worry about Christmas weight for the first time in years! I didn't sneak any extra potatoes nor did I stuff myself that Christmas but I certainly had a great time and loved my food - still do! :)

If you want to give it a try and have any questions then I'm happy to answer anything.

It's worth a go while things are a bit up in the air for you as no planning is required and you only have to think about food before and whilst you are eating it so it doesn't take up headspace whilst other things are going on in your life.

If I don't eat enough carbs I never stop feeling hungry

Something I have learned over the years I have been eating the way I do is that carbs will fill me up for a while but protein is the thing that fills me up for a longer amount of time.

If I have say half a chicken salad that will keep me fuller longer than a carb based snack will ever do.

Protein is more complex and takes longer to digest.

Eg: I had pizza the other weekend, not a lot of protein in that so I knew I would get hungrier sooner - and I did.

Yesterday I had a man sized chicken salad with no carbs and it took a lot longer to feel hungry again.

Edited by GemmaUK
  • Like 3
If I don't eat enough carbs I never stop feeling hungry

You need carbs.. I don't get it why people think to take out the crabs..

If you feel hungry eat oatmeal (1 cup nuked or cook it on the stove in pot)

• Like 2

I made a seaweed wrap filled it up with mix greens, Chickpea /garbanzo beans, white mushroom, Brussels sprouts, spinach and light ranch dressing.

• Like 1
healing light

Yes, I have tried this diet. I'm one of the few who develops the keto rash on this diet (experts disagree over what causes this but I have a feeling it's a detox reaction), which is unfortunate because it did help me with my neurological issues. I had to discontinue it because it started on my face this last time, so I'm going to try the AIP and then go back on keto if that doesn't help me. My friend's child is also on the keto diet and he has now been seizure-free for 6 months after numerous drugs did nothing for him (he had been having 50+ monoclonic seizures a day previously).

My boyfriend does the keto diet and he doesn't have an ounce of fat on him. I joke that his 6 pack is a 20 pack. It works well for him and seems to boost his testosterone. I lose weight on this diet easily, as well, and my body is very stubborn to weight loss in general (endocrine issues). I basically have to starve myself otherwise, but not with keto. So if weight loss is your goal, I think you will be pleasantly surprised with keto.

However, make sure that you drink lots of lemon water to mitigate the risk of kidney stones and do a lot of lettuce and other types of greens that don't have a net carb in order to offset all the fat and meat you will be consuming. You will have to be vigilant about your electrolytes, particularly your potassium sources.

One of my favorite resources on how to do the keto diet properly is Eric Berg. If you haven't already, I strongly suggest that you look up some of his videos on YouTube. He's great.

• Like 1
  • Author

Thank you for sharing! it's a great advice. It's quite an accomplishment what you did. When as a child you've been forced to finish your plate it's very difficult to reprogram ourselves! Remember being made to finish your plate so you could get dessert? No wonder so many people struggle with identifying when they're full. Leaving a bit of food in my plate would defenitely help me break from that habit and help me identify when I am full. I am gonna start doing that tomorrow!

Having seen this and also that you get a bit disorganised after a month my method could work for you. Plus, from your other thread you may have a bit of a change of lifestyle coming up working from home possibly for a while, it's not easy to plan a diet when part of your life is up in the air.

Before I started this I weighed myself, I wanted to lose about 3.5 stone and keep it off.

I lost 3.5 stone and over the last er..counting 14 years I have only put on a maximum of 7lbs, Kinda 'reset myself and lost it again. Over the first 6 months though I only lost weight.

The first thing is to start slowly shrinking your stomach and I thought this was going to be really difficult but within just a week it was kicking in for me.

Before I started I could eat a meal until I was stuffed full and then I'd go pick up an extra potato or four whilst clearing up the serving dishes!

The principle behind what I do is only eating when I am hungry and then stopping when I am full - bear with me and I'll explain it further in a bit.

The stomach shrinking part first:

Start out with your meals and snacks as normal but only eat them if you really are hungry.

When you are hungry, eat but every single time you lay out something to eat leave a tiny bit even if you still feel a little hungry.

The amount you leave at first can be a lettuce leaf, a bean, one quarter of a new potato - absolutely anything you want. But leave one little bit of something. Same for a snack, leave the last bit of that snack.

Don't start out putting less on your plate, serve up just what you always do.

The principle is the same if you have a 3 course meal too. Leav one little bit of each course.

During around the first couple of weeks you will feel a little bit hungry but it goes away quickly - literally it was 2 weeks for me. All it is that your stomach is getting used to eating just a little bit less so that you aren't full to capacity after a meal.

As you do this start to recognise the feeling you have right at the front right under your ribs where your stomach is.

Initially you won't know what it is you're trying to notice but I found putting my hand there, feeling, concentrating on that area helped me get it and again I got it in a couple of weeks pretty much. I learned when I felt comfortably full and it was a different feeling to feeling I had over eaten.

After a while (about a month from memory) , with snacks I would consider how close it was until lunchtime and whether I could last until then. The fact that you eat at regular times makes this easier actually.

If I am getting tummy rumbles at 11am and know I will be eating a meal at say 12.30pm then I can either eat that snack, leave a little but then know I wouldn't be able to eat all of my lunch or I could skip the snack.

I found that leaving a little bit each time led me to leave a little bit more (on the whole) and it wasn't through choice in my mind it was through listening to my body - one more bite and I would feel like I was going to be sick.

I started this at the end of October 2003. Afetr 2 weeks I weighed myself and had lost 8lbs.

I then decided not to weigh myself again until around my birthday in late March.

I just carried on in this way, if I would choose to eat a snack at 11am then I would realise I wasn't really hungry enough for lunch so I would grab a snack again - but a snack can be half of my lunch.

Next time it was time for afternoon snack I could eat the rest of my lunch or have what I had in for a snack.

So it's turned out that snacking doesn't stop for me if I want that snack but it does affect how much I am bale to eat at the next meal.

Some days I fancy a snack and then just snack through the day and eat my meal at night.

If I do overeat the effect the next day is that I get hungrier sooner and need more to eat.

I eat pretty healthily but do eat what I want when I want (as long as I am hungry).

You should start to feel hungry 1-2 hours before food always but when eating and you can recognise the feeling of comfortably full - that is the biggie (at least it was for me) in learning to eat less volume.

I didn't do much in the way of exercise at all while I lost the weight but I did lose that 3.5 stone by late March and I was amazed it had been so easy.

Once I got to the weight I wanted I started walking for walking's sake 3-5 times per week for about 20 minutes (dog walking is too slow - my dog would never keep up) .

For walking I would use the back of my thigh to push off with rather than walking normally and picking up my leg using the muscles from the front of my thigh and hip.

Walking like this briskly using the back of my thing and bum to push me forward tones up my legs, hips, tummy,& waist.

I've never stopped eating this way and like I said if I do put on a little weight I address it and concentrate again on leaving a little bit each time I eat.

When I go out for 3 course meals now I will have a starter and a main as being a carbs fan those are the courses I enjoy most.

If I do have a starter though I can guarantee I won't be able to eat all of the main meal. I also never have the bread they give you before a starter as I just wouldn't have the space in my stomach to fit a meal in.

But yeah, October to March I lost 3.5 stone with no effort, no weighing, no counting calories. My body got to the point of a happy weight for itself and one I was happy with also.

The 20 years prior to that I had been fluctuating up and down, been with weight watchers and tried slimming world and tried fads too.

This worked for me and has worked for 14 years!

You would have no trouble losing I reckon 10-11lbs by Christmas (slow and healthy rate) and by Feb you'll have lost your 15lbs. I'm being very careful with estimates here but looking at what I lost and knowing weight loss slows down a lot I must have lost much more than 15lbs by Christmas when I started this time of the year those 14 years ago.

The great thing too - I didn't worry about Christmas weight for the first time in years! I didn't sneak any extra potatoes nor did I stuff myself that Christmas but I certainly had a great time and loved my food - still do! :)

If you want to give it a try and have any questions then I'm happy to answer anything.

It's worth a go while things are a bit up in the air for you as no planning is required and you only have to think about food before and whilst you are eating it so it doesn't take up headspace whilst other things are going on in your life.