LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Physical Fitness, Health & Weight Management

Anyone tried the Keto Diet?

Physical Fitness, Health & Weight Management Staying fit and physically healthy is essential! Remember, we aren't subsitutes for your physician! As always, talk to your doctor before following any suggestions or advice!

Like Tree92Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th November 2017, 2:26 PM   #61
Established Member

Did you put up a lot of weight after you started deadlifting regularly? (I know muscle weight distributes very differently than fat, asking overall). I was told to do more reps with small weights to avoid bulking but Iím still scared to get into it.

I guess itís cultural but I avoid work outs that will produce any visible bulk especially in the arms and the legs... Although I can see the Ďthickí look is very trendy right now, at least in the US.

All in all weight & muscle composition changes can improve the looks but sadly, there is a huge genetic component (bone structure etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lana-banana View Post
Small wrists and ankles don't get larger when you're bulking (unless you're working those areas); I'm proof. You don't put on muscle in places you aren't training. The entire point of lean gains is to direct muscle development towards the areas in question. If you do heavy deadlifts and squats three times a week for five years, people will be able to tell. You don't even have to try. I did functional fitness training and Olympic weight lifting for four years---zero focus on appearance---and I went from an unexceptional scrawny shrimp to a woman who regularly gets compliments on her arms and butt (even if I'm still shrimp-sized). I get stopped in the street asking about my routine or if I do fitness modeling.

Genetics will dictate a lot about your body, but you can indeed create a figure for yourself. It's just not going to be anywhere near as dramatic as Pinterest would have you believe. When I got engaged I looked at myself in the mirror and decided I was very happy with my body but for my hip dips. It took about six months before I saw a noticeable difference, and a full year to feel satisfied with my results. There were no shortcuts, just repetitive training, day in and day out.
No_Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2017, 3:14 PM   #62
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Go View Post
Did you put up a lot of weight after you started deadlifting regularly? (I know muscle weight distributes very differently than fat, asking overall). I was told to do more reps with small weights to avoid bulking but I’m still scared to get into it.

I guess it’s cultural but I avoid work outs that will produce any visible bulk especially in the arms and the legs... Although I can see the ‘thick’ look is very trendy right now, at least in the US.

All in all weight & muscle composition changes can improve the looks but sadly, there is a huge genetic component (bone structure etc)

Women saying they avoid weight training for fear of becoming too bulky, is about as logical as me saying I avoid going in my backyard for fear of being eaten by a Tyrannosaurus Rex...

This is a woman with a rare mesomorph body and great genetics, and for all I know she may even be juicing(cheating with a bit of testosterone injections)...Do I think she looks "bad" or "too bulky"?? Nope!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy691swIrNI

97% of women won't get anywhere near her type of body, even if they powerlifted for hours a day...

Doing high repetition/low weights are fine, but you get nowhere without actually "breaking down" the muscle group training...Watching people do tiny weights for easy 10-15 reps without breaking a sweat would be like expecting to get huge quads by walking across the room...

The "thick" look you are referring to, usually has nothing to do with muscle...Its just fat...That's easy to accomplish...lol

Bottom line?? Don't be afraid to train somewhat heavier and utilize compound movements...You won't get too bulky...

TFY

Last edited by thefooloftheyear; 16th November 2017 at 3:19 PM..
thefooloftheyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2017, 3:21 PM   #63
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefooloftheyear View Post
Women saying they avoid weight training for fear of becoming too bulky, is about as logical as me saying I avoid going in my backyard for fear of being eaten by a Tyrannosaurus Rex...

This is a woman with a rare mesomorph body and great genetics, and for all I know she may even be juicing(cheating with a bit of testosterone injections)...Do I think she looks "bad" or "too bulky"?? Nope!!

97% of women won't get anywhere near her type of body, even if they powerlifted for hours a day...

Doing high repetition/low weights are fine, but you get nowhere without actually "breaking down" the muscle group training...Watching people do tiny weights for easy 10-15 reps without breaking a sweat would be like expecting to get huge quads by walking across the room...

The "thick" look you are referring to, usually has nothing to do with muscle...Its just fat...That's easy to accomplish...lol

Bottom line?? Don't be afraid to train somewhat heavier and utilize compound movements...You won't get too bulky...

TFY
TFY, have I asked you before about your advice for a basic/cheap weight set for home that includes "heavy" weights for a woman?
CautiouslyOptimistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2017, 6:53 PM   #64
Established Member

TFY you're right the woman in the video is probably supplementing with testosterone (sans the big silicone boobs she has pretty masculine look), and that won't happen with light training (or possibly any training).

I was more referring to women like Jen Aniston - not fat by any means, but thick looking arms and legs. Maybe it's also genetics more that overdoing the weights...

IDK, I may grow to enjoy more muscular look. It is so prevalent right now I couldn't even find a good example for the look I was referring to in current 'celebrities'.

Quote:

TFY
No_Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2017, 6:22 AM   #65
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_K View Post
The point of mentioning ankles and wrists is precisely that you can't bulk them. There's no muscle there, and wrist/ankle circumference are an excellent general indicator of your natural frame size. Your natural frame size is in turn an excellent indicator of your maximum potential for muscular gain. The smaller your frame, the harder the gains will come and the sooner they'll stop.
Wow I never thought of it like it that... I went to look at Jamie Eason's wrists lol. I'm not that fond of being that built but I've always admired her ability. Her wrists are huge. Hard to believe she genetically has wrists that thick. And she goes around saying it's easy to build muscle if you stick at it you can become like her...but if her wrists are any indication it's her genetics!!!

What happens when I lift is I lose all the fat in that particular area(so it becomes more 'toned') and gain a little muscle. But I actually shrink in that area because a lot of the fat is gone!!! This happens in about a week max. I usually freak out and stop there because I'm getting the opposite of what I want (shrinking). I wonder what I'm doing wrong. Maybe not enough food? Maybe Weights aren't heavy enough(hard to imagine) Maybe I need to keep pushing through the shrinkage to get to the build part

Last edited by Cookiesandough; 17th November 2017 at 6:27 AM..
Cookiesandough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2017, 7:09 AM   #66
Established Member

Quote:

TFY
strong wrists
Cookiesandough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2017, 7:47 AM   #67
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Go View Post
Did you put up a lot of weight after you started deadlifting regularly? (I know muscle weight distributes very differently than fat, asking overall). I was told to do more reps with small weights to avoid bulking but Iím still scared to get into it.

I guess itís cultural but I avoid work outs that will produce any visible bulk especially in the arms and the legs... Although I can see the Ďthickí look is very trendy right now, at least in the US.

All in all weight & muscle composition changes can improve the looks but sadly, there is a huge genetic component (bone structure etc).
No, I didn't put on much weight at all. I don't remember how much I weighed when I started, probably closer to 115? Now I'm at 110 but my body fat is about 15% (versus 20% when I started).

Andy is correct when he says wrist and ankle circumference don't really change no matter what you're doing. The cultural myth of lifting heavy weights and suddenly becoming enormous He-Men drives me up the wall! It literally doesn't happen! You cannot hulk out unless you're making it your life's work. The women you see in bodybuilding shows are taking supplements and injections and all kinds of crazy sh-t that normal people don't touch. As the meme goes, "Weights don't make you huge, cupcakes make you huge."

Weight training is one of the best forms of exercise. It builds strength and improves everything from posture to bone health. Other effects---being able to lug heavy stuff around the house, and making your partner say "damn!" when you wear yoga pants---are just nice bonuses.
lana-banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2017, 8:20 AM   #68
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiesandough View Post
What happens when I lift is I lose all the fat in that particular area(so it becomes more 'toned') and gain a little muscle. But I actually shrink in that area because a lot of the fat is gone!!! This happens in about a week max.
You're not going to see any serious body composition changes inside of a week, so this is most likely water loss. The more you exercise, the more you need to keep hydrated. Are you taking in enough water? Fat cells are largely composed of water, so becoming dehydrated is a quick and dirty way to make it appear as though you've lost some fat. The downside of course is that your body (and muscles in particular) won't function as effectively without enough water. You'll find it harder to work out, and it'll be harder for your body to repair (and hence build) your muscles up.
Andy_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2017, 11:31 AM   #69
Established Member

Update

I am happy to report I have reached my goal and lost 16-lbs :-)

At 14-lbs lost I got a plateau that lasted almost 3 weeks! I am experienced enough to know it's a make-it or break-il moment and it's important to push through it. I continued my regime and finally dropped 2-lbs this week.

Now my goal is to re-introduce carbs but at a very slow pace. My first pick are squashes and legumes a tiny bit every day.

I feel amazing when I don't touch sugar!
Old 9th December 2017, 5:00 PM   #70
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaeta View Post

At 14-lbs lost I got a plateau that lasted almost 3 weeks! I am experienced enough to know it's a make-it or break-il moment and it's important to push through it. I continued my regime and finally dropped 2-lbs this week.

Now my goal is to re-introduce carbs but at a very slow pace. My first pick are squashes and legumes a tiny bit every day.

Congratulations, Gaeta! That's so amazing!

I have a huge sweet tooth and figured I could never give up sugar, but once I made it past the first week or so I noticed I was significantly less irritable, depressed, and slept so much better. Giving up sugar is easy when you realize how much better you feel without it!
lana-banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2017, 6:20 AM   #71
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaeta View Post

Well done Gaeta!

If you have been doing Keto and are now introducing carbs I would suggest now is a great time to learn the hungry & full feelings - unless you have already been doing that.
I would also suggest eating your protein first in the main and seeing how full you feel, remember carbs make you feel full but for a shorter period of time than protein does (remember my pizza story above).

If you have got the knack of feeling full and properly hungry it's a life changer and you will likely find you never need to 'diet' again.
I go up and down by 5-7lbs maximum (but it happens maybe once or twice a year or couple of years only that I reach that 7lb maximum) and sometimes I still overeat but I now naturally compensate by not eating as much the next day. It's become a subconscious thing which I don't even think about anymore.
GemmaUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2017, 11:22 AM   #72
Established Member

Well done Gaeta. I am joining in with you on the Keto diet. Iíve done my research and am starting tomorrow. Thanks for sharing your experience.
PhillyLibertyBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2017, 8:08 AM   #73
Established Member

So itís day 2. Iím logging all my food but that may be a bit of overkill?
PhillyLibertyBelle is offline   Reply With Quote