LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Physical Fitness, Health & Weight Management

Anyone tried the Keto Diet?

Physical Fitness, Health & Weight Management Staying fit and physically healthy is essential! Remember, we aren't subsitutes for your physician! As always, talk to your doctor before following any suggestions or advice!

Like Tree92Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th November 2017, 2:30 AM   #46
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanco View Post
For most people, a "diet" that severely restricts what you can eat is doomed to fail in the long-run.
Absolutely agree.
I'm a carb lover like Gaeta and cutting things out/going low on them just doesn't work in a sustainable way.
Switching up from Keto or any of the various diets I tried back in the days when I needed to lose weight was the downfall and I would always then put on more weight than I originally needed to lose.

I watched a really interesting show this last week called The Truth About Slim People - I am and have been a mixture of the two people in the show for a long time now.
There was a lot of seemingly 'little things' which hadn't even occurred to me in the show which have made me far more aware of why I lost weight and have maintained it all these years.
I work with two avid dieters whose weight goes up and down all the time and as they are getting older (one in her 40's the other in her 50's) both have over the last 9 years I have known them actually have got bigger, yet they diet for the majority of the time.
I heard about the show from one of them and her perception of it was totally different to mine - I found that fascinating. Partly because it reminded me of me all those years ago when I was stuck in the same cycle as they are now.
Both of them are also food obsessed which is exactly how I used to be.
Right at the point I changed my eating lifestyle that just went away - completely. The obsession went, guilt went all the comments or thoughts I used to have about 'being good' or 'take one day at a time' just all disappeared.
GemmaUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2017, 11:11 AM   #47
Established Member

The thing about measuring "pure" muscle gain is that it's inexact. Water retention, especially for women, can really throw off your estimates for how much weight you have, and your body fat percentage (which is itself hard to measure accurately and prone to fluctuate) has to be fairly low for small numbers to be making huge differences. I was just trying to warn the previous poster against anyone suggesting she can make major bulking gains quickly, like bodybuilders tend to do. I have seen women recommend 5000-calorie regimens and obscene supplements to get a "speed bulk" and all kinds of garbage. It doesn't exist.

The philosophy of "eat real food, not too much, mostly plants" is a good rule of thumb. The problem is our connection to food and healthy eating, even eating at all, is so fractured. For example, I find that just having a screen in front of me while I eat all but guarantees I eat too much without even realizing it. And how many of us are able to avoid screens while eating?
lana-banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2017, 12:36 PM   #48
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Go View Post
Why do you want to bulk up?? The thin figure that you describe is so feminine... You'll permanently lose this if you bulk up your muscles (if it is even possible for your body type).

On the keto stuff... Too many risks for few pounds down (that can be achieved in any other calorie-restrictive diet).
I feel like anyone can be just thin with some effort. I more admire bodies that look like they've worked out. Toned and a little thicker and shapely is my goal. What do you mean permantly lose? I think any gains you get will go away once you stop binge eating at least that's been my experience?

I guess we want what we can't have.
Cookiesandough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2017, 12:47 PM   #49
Established Member

Being thin is easy, but having tiny wrists and ankles is just a genetic blessing. If you bulk up with muscle - you'd lose this. JMO but bulked up women to me do not look feminine, even if thin - like Jen Aniston or even Gigi Hadid - way too much muscle mass for a feminine look.

You'd bulk up with fat anyway as you age (even if you starve to stay stick thin, aging shows...). Adding muscle on top... IDK, just not my cup of tea.

But yeah, I guess this is just personal preference and we usually want what we can't have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiesandough View Post
I feel like anyone can be just thin with some effort. I more admire bodies that look like they've worked out. Toned and a little thicker and shapely is my goal. What do you mean permantly lose? I think any gains you get will go away once you stop binge eating at least that's been my experience?

No_Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2017, 12:53 PM   #50
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lana-banana View Post
The philosophy of "eat real food, not too much, mostly plants" is a good rule of thumb.
I agree here. But how is that statement jiving with the keto philosophy aka stuffing yourself with meat+fats?

I don't know under which circumstances acetone passes as a healthy substance... I'm not against keto for people wanting fast results, although eating a pint of icecream (and nothing else) per day will give exactly the same results (caloric restriction > weight loss)
Old 15th November 2017, 1:32 PM   #51
Established Member

I doubt I will ever be able to gain weight. My parents have been thin their entire lives . . My mom is late 60s and she's a twig . Bulking with fat and muscle is different though I thought? If it were fat it would be soft and flabby, not firm. Perhaps I'm wrong, but that's the impression I get. Maybe it's just preference, but I like toned, athletic bodies. Best example I can give is Britney Spears body in slave 4 u era ish. Bulking with muscle:https://i.pinimg.com/736x/1f/45/17/1...sic-awards.jpg Bulking with fat: http://www.tomdoyletalk.com/wp-conte...v-music-aw.jpg She was a dancer, but had to have done weight training too. I don't know.

Might as well try it to see the results and if I like it that way. I can always go back to being a sedentary bump on a log and go back down quickly. My main problem is worry I am doing something bad for my health by taken in excessive calories/nutrition . Agh

Last edited by Cookiesandough; 15th November 2017 at 1:58 PM..
Cookiesandough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2017, 2:45 PM   #52
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Go View Post
I don't know under which circumstances acetone passes as a healthy substance... I'm not against keto for people wanting fast results, although eating a pint of icecream (and nothing else) per day will give exactly the same results (caloric restriction > weight loss)
Keto doesn't work simply because of caloric restriction though, it works because it changes the way the body processes food. That is why it has other medical effects too, such as reducing seizures.
GunslingerRoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2017, 4:47 PM   #53
Established Member

Keep at it. To me, and presumably most other guys who work out and make an effort to stay in shape, there is a whole world of difference between a girl who is just slim and one who works out. The upper body might be harder for girls to build any muscle on, but the tone & firmness on legs & bum will be noticed.
Andy_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2017, 8:21 PM   #54
Established Member

You can bulk up if that's your goal regardless of the genetics. It will just be slower.

Britney I think is just much thinner on picture 1. On picture 2 though, albeit a little chubbier, you still see the muscle bulking her tights.... Just... the limbs are not as thin and dainty as I'd personally like them on a woman.

Of course it is a personal preference what you like, anything within the healthy norm is good if you like it. I also don't enjoy too much muscle on a man as well (I can tolerate it if it's there but would rather be with someone with more lean look), but many women do.

Quote:
I doubt I will ever be able to gain weight. My parents have been thin their entire lives . . My mom is late 60s and she's a twig . Bulking with fat and muscle is different though I thought? If it were fat it would be soft and flabby, not firm. Perhaps I'm wrong, but that's the impression I get. Maybe it's just preference, but I like toned, athletic bodies. Best example I can give is Britney Spears body in slave 4 u era ish. Bulking with muscle:https://i.pinimg.com/736x/1f/45/17/1...sic-awards.jpg Bulking with fat: http://www.tomdoyletalk.com/wp-conte...v-music-aw.jpg She was a dancer, but had to have done weight training too. I don't know.

Might as well try it to see the results and if I like it that way. I can always go back to being a sedentary bump on a log and go back down quickly. My main problem is worry I am doing something bad for my health by taken in excessive calories/nutrition . Agh
Old 15th November 2017, 8:33 PM   #55
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunslingerRoland View Post
Keto doesn't work simply because of caloric restriction though, it works because it changes the way the body processes food. That is why it has other medical effects too, such as reducing seizures.
Sure, it was developed for epileptic patients.

However, it is still very controversial. People try to make a distinction between ketosis and ketoacidosis..... The difference is just in the quantities. Nobody doubts ketones are toxic, yeah we can argue about concentrations, but I personally I can't justify the risk for vanity.

For epileptic or morbidly obese patients is obviously different because there the benefits are bigger than the risks.
Old 15th November 2017, 8:50 PM   #56
Established Member

Quote:

People have different body types. No one in my family is thin, besides my sister who has constantly struggled with eating disorders and exercise addiction.

My brother competes in triathlons, watches what he eats, yet is far from "thin".

I have to eat 1200 calories a day, and run 3 miles a day to maintain my "thick" (far from thin) build. If I don't keep up that routine the pounds pack on very quickly.

I have never been thin. Not as a very active kid, not as a teenager who did sports, not as a 20 something.

Meanwhile adding muscle is incredibly easy for me. I had to lay off cycling as I was getting "frog legs". My thighs bulk up, I get crazy definition in my calves. I have a thick ass and legs from stair climbing, no lifting needed.

I avoid upper body work because my arms bulk up very quickly.

I am naturally very strong (seriously my male co-workers come to open jars or move copy machines!), But I am not naturally thin.
RecentChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2017, 6:44 AM   #57
Established Member

After a week on keto I had to carve it a little more toward Atkins. The high fat was hard to keep up with, it would cause me indigestion so I found myself not eating dinner just so I would not experience indigestion at bed time. After 2 weeks I am down 11,5 lbs :-) My goal was to lose 15 by xmas so I think I will succeed.

I still feel great! I don't fight hunger at all. I don't have munchies and no craving sugar. I have lost weight in other more traditional ways before like counting calories but it's a constant battle against hunger so very hard to sustain for 2-3 months.

I have also notice that since I have been avoiding carbs I don't suffer from arthosis pain ! (arthrosis in hips) It's known that anything sugar causes inflamation so it's nice to get a rest from that pain.
Old 16th November 2017, 11:26 AM   #58
Established Member

Small wrists and ankles don't get larger when you're bulking (unless you're working those areas); I'm proof. You don't put on muscle in places you aren't training. The entire point of lean gains is to direct muscle development towards the areas in question. If you do heavy deadlifts and squats three times a week for five years, people will be able to tell. You don't even have to try. I did functional fitness training and Olympic weight lifting for four years---zero focus on appearance---and I went from an unexceptional scrawny shrimp to a woman who regularly gets compliments on her arms and butt (even if I'm still shrimp-sized). I get stopped in the street asking about my routine or if I do fitness modeling.

Genetics will dictate a lot about your body, but you can indeed create a figure for yourself. It's just not going to be anywhere near as dramatic as Pinterest would have you believe. When I got engaged I looked at myself in the mirror and decided I was very happy with my body but for my hip dips. It took about six months before I saw a noticeable difference, and a full year to feel satisfied with my results. There were no shortcuts, just repetitive training, day in and day out.
lana-banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2017, 12:14 PM   #59
Established Member

The point of mentioning ankles and wrists is precisely that you can't bulk them. There's no muscle there, and wrist/ankle circumference are an excellent general indicator of your natural frame size. Your natural frame size is in turn an excellent indicator of your maximum potential for muscular gain. The smaller your frame, the harder the gains will come and the sooner they'll stop.
Andy_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2017, 2:13 PM   #60
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_K View Post
The point of mentioning ankles and wrists is precisely that you can't bulk them. There's no muscle there, and wrist/ankle circumference are an excellent general indicator of your natural frame size. Your natural frame size is in turn an excellent indicator of your maximum potential for muscular gain. The smaller your frame, the harder the gains will come and the sooner they'll stop.
I was just trying to say the feminine look culminating in thin ankles and wrists is lost when bulking up. Otherwise valid point there is not much to bulk in that areas.