Turning to Comfort Food Under Stress

Anyone here have a tendency to turn to comfort junk food and overeat when they are stressed? Isn't that just as bad as turning to alcohol to deal with pain?

I find myself turning to junk food to help escape reality for a moment. I need a break from reality.

• Like 1

It's a common thing. You are ahead of the curve in that you recognize the behavior. That is the first step toward overcoming it.

I self soothed with a bowl of ice cream last night. I'm not joining overeaters anonymous any time soon but I recognize that I was not eating because I was hungry.

Hi Soccer1986,

I can totally relate to this - and I think this is a common thing.

Long story short, although married, myself and o/h do not have a close or intimate relationship, haven't for years. This is a burning issue for me (doesn't seem to be so for him - reasons unknown) and when I have a real off day food is what I turn to - I know before having something "naughty" to eat that I am going to regret it immediately after ... but I still do it ... and surprise, surprise immediately hate myself after ... but then I think "well I have done the damage now so may as well have something else" ... I will really beat myself up afterwards over it. It is kinda like comfort food becomes my friend and understands me (this is sounding nuts!!!).

It doesn't mean I eat loads ... it might be two biscuits ... but for me, that means being really bad!!

Anyway ... I believe loads of people turn to comfort food when stressed about something ... seems to be an immediate "pick me up" - at least for a while anyway!

• Author

I'm stressed out over a crush I have on this woman. At least I acknowledge the reality that nothing will come of it. It doesn't even matter if I gain weight since I didn't have a chance with her anyway. I'm not interested in anybody else.

My blood pressure I think has been effected by the stress too. 165 over 100 yesterday.

Tell us more about the crush. You shouldn't be stressed over a crush. A crush & the possibility of starting a new relationship should be a happy thing not one that produces anxiety. Your defeatist attitude -- that you say you have no chance with her -- sounds like a self esteem problem. Address that rather than eat.

Perhaps learn to do mediation in place of stress eating & to lower your blood pressure.

Hi Soccer1986,

I can totally relate to this - and I think this is a common thing.

Long story short, although married, myself and o/h do not have a close or intimate relationship, haven't for years. This is a burning issue for me (doesn't seem to be so for him - reasons unknown) and when I have a real off day food is what I turn to - I know before having something "naughty" to eat that I am going to regret it immediately after ... but I still do it ... and surprise, surprise immediately hate myself after ... but then I think "well I have done the damage now so may as well have something else" ... I will really beat myself up afterwards over it. It is kinda like comfort food becomes my friend and understands me (this is sounding nuts!!!).

It doesn't mean I eat loads ... it might be two biscuits ... but for me, that means being really bad!!

Anyway ... I believe loads of people turn to comfort food when stressed about something ... seems to be an immediate "pick me up" - at least for a while anyway!

I struggle with this, too! I was doing so much better for most of September, going jogging and walking regularly, not snacking as much and eating more vegetables. Then October started and I started craving my 'fall baking' time when I make apple crisp, pumpkin dessert, and after a whole week of dreary rainy weather here, I lost my motivation. :(

Today's sunny and I hope to get a little run outside or the hiking trail to see the pretty fall colors, though.

@donn0vain- Anxiety is just that. Anxiety. Things that 'should be a happy thing' can still cause crippling anxiety to those of us who have it. It's something that isn't as simple as 'just getting over our low self esteem.' :(

• Author
Tell us more about the crush. You shouldn't be stressed over a crush. A crush & the possibility of starting a new relationship should be a happy thing not one that produces anxiety. Your defeatist attitude -- that you say you have no chance with her -- sounds like a self esteem problem. Address that rather than eat.

Perhaps learn to do mediation in place of stress eating & to lower your blood pressure.

This crush is a female work colleague that I have thought about everyday and probably every hour for the last 3 years. I've worked with her for over 10 years and recently reassigned myself to a different area once the crush was growing. I have not behaved inappropriately but I have not let go of the thoughts either.

It's better that I talk about it here than talking about it to people outside of loveshack. I have no idea what to do about the crush because I think it is effecting my physical health along with my compulsion to eat more than I need. Not that I didn't already have a weakness with food even before the crush was ignited.

I'm lucky that my type of work environment gives me flexibility 80% of the time to choose who I want to partner up with for work assignments. I don't partner up with her unless it is absolutely necessary. Obeying supervisors orders are a highest priority but fortunately majority of the time I have the option to not work with her.

Now that's not to say the intensity of the crush is consistent. During the summer months this year I thought the intensity had tapered down and I was on the verge of getting over her. Not by a long shot. The intensity has increased once again back in late September until now. It comes and goes in waves. During high intensity it is harder to function.

Perhaps therapy would be a good option for you.

In your other thread about going into women's house you speak about certain self control issues -- eating the whole cake. You have some good coping mechanisms but they are based on avoidance: not having sweets in your house; not going into the lady's house after a date & here not partnering with your crush.

A 3 year obsession is a bit long.

Talking to a professional about gaining & maintaining more control over your own life would probably be helpful. It will also reduce your stress & anxiety.

I'll pop up here with my latest wacky advice lol...

Have you ever tried cannabis? I just recently discovered it, amazing stuff. Excellent way to escape reality and have interesting thoughts with what I can see as being very little downside. Its also an appetite suppressant so very effective with overeating. Of course everyone is different, so choose your poison wisely.

In an ideal world we all manage perfectly without needing to over indulge in food, alcohol, sex, adrenaline, exercise, drugs etc But in the meantime while you're working on being perfect, I think trying to find something that does the least harm is worthwhile.

Also the key here and the answer to your question, is moderation. Yes food is as bad as alcohol without moderation (bodies being hoisted out of window cause theyre too big to get down the stairs type thing). Anything can be too much of a good thing.

Try to think of food as fuel, because that is what it is. And your body needs the right amount of the right fuel to work properly. It is not comfort, take the emotion out of it.

Also d0nnivain mentioned therapy, a bit of CBT would help you with this crush business. You could also try the elastic wrist band trick, snap it every time you think about her. Brings you back to the moment and helps break patterns of negative obsessive thinking. Google for more info on it. HTH!

I try to think backwards but forwards today. When I was like this I would love my A&P Coffee Cake I could eat the entire box or Sara Lee Pound Cake or Chuck Full of Nuts Marble Pound Cake on Friday night. Lord knows those were the days I won't do that ever again. The battle to lose the weight is greater than to gain it. Today for a snack it would hot air white popcorn GF very high in fiber. I do love fresh whole pineapple.