Fear not. It will be painless. A nurse will be in the room with you and your doctor, whether your doc is male or female. Though I have never had one of these, since it would be highly inappropriate for me to get one, my lady friends tell me it's no big deal. If you're lucky you'll get complimentary birth control pills and maybe some sweets on your way out.

I think the most painful thing is the bill, particularly if you don't have good insurance. However, such an exam can save you lots of grief if the doctor finds any sort of disease in its early stages. Consider your annual exam a luxury that many others around the world are not afforded. Your life may be extended many years by what a doctor could find during this exam.

swirlingdaisy
Originally posted by Tony

Fear not. It will be painless. A nurse will be in the room with you and your doctor, whether your doc is male or female. Though I have never had one of these, since it would be highly inappropriate for me to get one, my lady friends tell me it's no big deal. If you're lucky you'll get complimentary birth control pills and maybe some sweets on your way out.

I think the most painful thing is the bill, particularly if you don't have good insurance. However, such an exam can save you lots of grief if the doctor finds any sort of disease in its early stages. Consider your annual exam a luxury that many others around the world are not afforded. Your life may be extended many years by what a doctor could find during this exam.

Your response didn't answer this poor girl's question.

To the original poster, here's a link designed for teens that better explains what to expect at your Annual Exam:

http://www.pprsr.org/justforteens/annualexam.cfm (just click on this link to get there)

It's surely not as bad as you might fear! If you're nervous or have questions, by all means ask your doctor any questions you have.....they'll be glad to explain things to you.......especially because is your first time.

i don't find it painless, and i am a female.

some are sensitive to pap smears, some don't feel a thing.

I FEEL IT.

the most important thing to remember is stay relaxed. the more tense you are, the more likely it is to be unpleasant.

the worst part about it is not being nude in front of a stranger, you won't even think about that part!

and once it's over, you'll be glad you did it. and it's over before you know it.

and be honest when they ask you questions.

Originally posted by Pocky

:lmao: -SK avatar.

haha, thanks, it's a t-shirt, actually. i loved it, even though i am not too into animal characters...

Originally posted by ...

do people shave all of the pubic hair before going to gyno?

you can, but you don't have to. and they won't shave any of it if you don't.

from the post http://www.loveshack.org/forums/t13145/?highlight=gynecologist

[color=green]When you get to your appointment, the receptionist signs you in and asks you to fill out an information sheet. She'll also take your insurance information down for her files, and you need to let her know if it is part of an annual well-woman check-up provided through your employer (you pay only an X-amount after the first so-many dollars).

You sit and wait until the nurse calls you to her office -- she'll take your blood pressure and weigh you, then chat with you to get an idea of your overall health -- any family history of chronic illnesses, are you on medications, when was your last period, questions like that. This is a good time to bring up any questions you have, because the nurses are pretty good about asking the doctor if you don't feel comfortable broaching the subject, just be sure to let her know you'd prefer her to talk to the gynecologist!

Next, you go into the exam room and strip down to your socks, and put on the paper gown the nurse gives you. You sit on the exam table (and wait forever!) for the nurse and gynecologist to come in. (The doctor does NOT do ANY kind of procedure without that nurse in the office -- one, because it creates less of chance of a sexual harassment claim, and two, because he needs her to assist with instruments and to keep you-the-patient comfortable).

The doc will listen to your breathing, then does a breast exam. He/she will ask you if you do these kind of exams on yourself -- if you don't, he shows you how and will tell you that you should check your breasts at least once a month for lumps or bumps out of the ordinary.

Next, the doctor will ask you to scoot your bottom down to the end of the table, then to lay back and put your feet in the stirrups connected to the table. Basically, it's like when you stuff a turkey -- the bird's legs are up and apart to where you can fill the cavity more easily with stuffing.

Most doctors are pretty good about understanding that this is not something you'd rather be doing, so they go out of their way to make it as comfortable as they can. They tell you to relax, then place a speculum inside you. (The speculum is a metal or plastic instrument shaped like a duck's bill and is designed to hold your vagina open while the gynecologist does the exam). He will take what looks like an oversized, one-sided Q-Tip and swab your cervix with it. That is so they can send it off to the lab and check for any abnormal cell growth.

The doctor removes the speculum and next does a two-finger manual assessment of your cervix to check its texture and shape. (Not to worry, they wear gloves through the whole thing and liberally use KY jelly to cut down on the discomfort). And guess what? He's done with your exam.

This generally is a good time to ask questions if you have any, or if you don't seem sure, he'll tell you to stop by his office before you leave for a quick consultation. You will get sent a card after 2 weeks, letting you know the results of the cervical smear.

In my experience, the doctors I've been to have all been pretty good about talking me through the procedure and being responsive to any real (or imagined) pain. However, before you get lined up with someone, ask your mom, your sisters, your girlfriends who they recommend and why. It's a pretty up-close and invasive procedure you'll be going through, and it definitely helps to have a gynecologist you feel comfortable with. In all honesty, the only bad part about the exam is the actual waiting for the doctor to come check you. The rest of it takes 15 minutes or less.[/color]

NOTE: let the nurse taking your vital stats know this is your first gynelogical visit – she'll know what to do to put you at ease. Frankly, if you're comfortable with her and the doctor, the exam gradually becomes less a scary thing than an exercise in patience, because sometimes you wait a long, long time. My doc has been called out for emergency c-sections, and has had his schedule bumped back an hour or two because something unexpected came up long before I arrived. Annoying, yes, but I wouldn't trade him for the world because he's a good doctor.

I was scared to death to go to the gynecologist and waited until I was 24 (yes 24!) to go for the first time, and then only because I was having unexplained pain and didn't have any choice.

The previous post describing the experience is accurate, except I had a doctor that was not on call. My annual visits to her lasted 20 minutes, tops. She never made me wait.

I know you've already gotten the appointment, but my first piece of advice would be to ask around to your friends and family to find out what gyno they really like and trust. That's what I did, and I ended up loving that doctor. She knew how to put you at ease. When she retired, I was crushed!

My second piece of advice is that, if you're truly very uncomfortable, to go to a woman. Many of my friends go to male gynecologists, but for me, that's just not something I could do.

Finally, shaving is an option, but not necessary. Just make sure you're clean and tidy for your own peace of mind. Then, remember, they've seen, heard, and yes, even smelled it all before. You are to them much like a car is to a mechanic, only they'll be sure to make conversation with you! Just view it from their point of view and you're bound to take it a bit easier.

Believe me, the anticipation of going for the first time is much worse than the visit itself. And once you've done it once, you're set for life. It's no big deal after that.

Good luck!

well, yesterday i went to have my biopsy thing done... what a relief!!

it wasnt painful at all, i was really nervous over nohting lol.. but the bad news: no sex for 2 weeks?!!!! how am i gonna live lol

Originally posted by NiCoLe20

well, yesterday i went to have my biopsy thing done... what a relief!!

it wasnt painful at all, i was really nervous over nohting lol.. but the bad news: no sex for 2 weeks?!!!! how am i gonna live lol

2 weeks!?... they told me a few days and then whenever i felt ready...and mine hurt like a beyotch.

Originally posted by SexKitten

2 weeks!?... they told me a few days and then whenever i felt ready...and mine hurt like a beyotch.

I'm confused. A biopsy is for checking for breast cancer? Or am I wrong? And why are you not allowed to have sex for 2 weeks after this?

A biopsy is for checking for breast cancer?

Not only breast cancer - any kind of cancer. A biopsy is cutting some of the tissue from the lump or mole or other growth in question, wherever it's located, and examining it for cancer cells.

the dr. took a peice of my cervix to send to the lab for tests. they gave me a paper to read and it said, ''no sex, no tampon, and no douching for 2 weeks.'' idk why but can we say sexual frustration!!!?

Originally posted by sarah12

So why can't you have sex afterwards?

From my understanding, you can't have sex because when they take a biopsy you have an opening in the skin. If you have sex it could cause irritation, bleeding and/or infection. It's just not a good idea to have sex when you have an open wound.