Which lift is more impressive?

675x5 raw on the incline bench press (with free weights, no smith machine)

Or curling 240 pound Dumbbells 1-2 reps with good enough form to call them reps?

Also, does anyone here train with a herniated disc? I have been slow to gain strength back with training out of caution since I have one.

Both of those lifting feats are amazing, but if I had to choose I would say the incline bench press is more impressive because it looks more intimidating (especially about 700 lbs on the barbell), and its a compound exercise.

• Like 2
todreaminblue

when i have watched the olympics what amazes me are the clean and jerklifters......awesome......they look like supermen.....every muscle straining...determination etched in their faces...just awesome....

my ex could bench press after training regularly 160 kg and 60 kg dumbbell curls in each hand...me i was 85 kg easy bench press and 40 kg in each hand......havent done this in a very long time.decades.....i prefer aerobic when i do fitness.....kickboxing...one day ...ill get back there...dont know about the weights...i still am pretty strong....for a girl...i woudl probably do a little weight training moreto tone and keep the kick boxing and still do yoga as well....mayeb take tai chi.....love the look of tai chi..looks so soothing......i woudl throw that all away to just be able to dance again......like really dance..........deb

Edited by todreaminblue
  • Like 1
curiouslysearching

I am going to vote for the 675 (5) times.....that is a great deal

of weight to press. That takes a tremendous amount of

upper body power through the chest, arms and shoulders.

When I was still playing the bench press was the standard

by which power was measured but 225 was the weight that

was used measured by how many times you could do it.

• Like 2

There is no way you could curl a 240 lb dumbbell...

The heaviest anyone has ever done with a barbell cheat curl is just over 300 lbs.

curiouslysearching

The heaviest anyone has ever done with a barbell cheat curl is just over 300 lbs.

KBob, it really does seem like an incredibly large amount of weight.

Even the 675 seems extreme especially when you combine that

weight with 5 reps. We used to see lots of guys trying to "bounce"

large lifts off of their chest but eventually the conditioning coaches

eliminated any bouncing which made it more difficult to press really

large amounts of weight.

SensitiveTJ
675x5 raw on the incline bench press (with free weights, no smith machine)

Or curling 240 pound Dumbbells 1-2 reps with good enough form to call them reps?

Also, does anyone here train with a herniated disc? I have been slow to gain strength back with training out of caution since I have one.

Neither of these feats of strength have ever been performed anywhere, by anyone, so it's kind of a silly question. Should we also discuss which starship is faster, the Millenium Falcon or the Enterprise?

• Like 1
  • Author

No one has ever set such a goal, so it hasn't happened yet. Speaking of heavy Dummbells, my cousin works at a zoo that used to have chimps years ago. He put a 100 pound dumbbell in the exhibit, said two of them tried to pick it up. Neither of them could pick it up, but they could roll it and move it around, so they started slapping it and threw dirt everywhere

• Like 2
  • Author
Neither of these feats of strength have ever been performed anywhere, by anyone, so it's kind of a silly question. Should we also discuss which starship is faster, the Millenium Falcon or the Enterprise?

What will you say if I do them both? What would you say? Not trying to challenge you or insult you, but what would you really say? What would you think?

• Author

I'm going to do it one day and show you. It may take me 10 years, or more, but I'll show you.

Which Enterprise?

;-)

• Like 3
todreaminblue
No one has ever set such a goal, so it hasn't happened yet. Speaking of heavy Dummbells, my cousin works at a zoo that used to have chimps years ago. He put a 100 pound dumbbell in the exhibit, said two of them tried to pick it up. Neither of them could pick it up, but they could roll it and move it around, so they started slapping it and threw dirt everywhere

lol

would love to have seen those chimps slapping and getting pissed.......reminds me of the clean and jerkers kicking the weights when the weight got too heavy while doign cross fit..... and they failed so yep kick the weights.......lol....deb

I'm going to do it one day and show you. It may take me 10 years, or more, but I'll show you.

It's good to have goals, and I won't knock you for it, but so you have a realistic view of it: that 300 lb curl was set by a champion strongman, who probably weighs around 300 lbs.

The incline bench press thing is possible, but I doubt for five reps. The heaviest flat bench press record is just over 1000 lbs, with one rep.

And just so you know, you'll need steroids to achieve these goals. Not possible without them.

• Like 1
  • Author
It's good to have goals, and I won't knock you for it, but so you have a realistic view of it: that 300 lb curl was set by a champion strongman, who probably weighs around 300 lbs.

The incline bench press thing is possible, but I doubt for five reps. The heaviest flat bench press record is just over 1000 lbs, with one rep.

And just so you know, you'll need steroids to achieve these goals. Not possible without them.

People are capable of amazing things, but they must be focused.

Tink Meeker (also a TX guy) is constantly raising the bar on the bench press. He's done up to 1500 on single ply board presses. I hope he shatters his own record of 1102.

• 2 weeks later...
curiouslysearching
People are capable of amazing things, but they must be focused.

Tink Meeker (also a TX guy) is constantly raising the bar on the bench press. He's done up to 1500 on single ply board presses. I hope he shatters his own record of 1102.

be careful and make sure you have a good spotter (in an encouraging

manner)....if you are training to play a sport at the collegiate or professional level I would caution or encourage you to keep a decent "range of motion"

as far as your flexibility is concerned....having flexible and elastic quick

twitch muscles will help you avoid injuries and move better in "space"

other than that Go For It and Good Luck

• Like 1
be careful and make sure you have a good spotter (in an encouraging

manner)....if you are training to play a sport at the collegiate or professional level I would caution or encourage you to keep a decent "range of motion"

as far as your flexibility is concerned....having flexible and elastic quick

twitch muscles will help you avoid injuries and move better in "space"

other than that Go For It and Good Luck

If someone is focused, determined and strong enough..... there is no need for a spotter. :)

• Like 1
curiouslysearching
If someone is focused, determined and strong enough..... there is no need for a spotter. :)

doesn't that depend on what they are "spotting"??

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Thats 1000% incorrect.

• Like 2