Experienced Dancers with Knee Pain ?

TunaInTheBrine

Been dancing on and off as a hobby for many years, but recently became quite serious about it and have been dancing between 3-5 nights per week and often for several hours at a time with only a few brief rests during the dance night. I've been doing this schedule for about two months now and have noticed a mild discomfort/pain in both of my knees toward the bottom outer exterior.

I'm wondering if there are any regular dancers here who experience this, and what success (if any) they've had with treating it without stopping dancing. Of course, I would slow down a little and take more breaks, maybe take a night or two more off per week, if I really had to. I also drink alcohol (2-3 mix drinks) during most nights when dancing, which probably doesn't help. Just curious to hear others' experiences.

Been dancing on and off as a hobby for many years, but recently became quite serious about it and have been dancing between 3-5 nights per week and often for several hours at a time with only a few brief rests during the dance night. I've been doing this schedule for about two months now and have noticed a mild discomfort/pain in both of my knees toward the bottom outer exterior.

I'm wondering if there are any regular dancers here who experience this, and what success (if any) they've had with treating it without stopping dancing. Of course, I would slow down a little and take more breaks, maybe take a night or two more off per week, if I really had to. I also drink alcohol (2-3 mix drinks) during most nights when dancing, which probably doesn't help. Just curious to hear others' experiences.

I'm experiencing knee pain now. Use the RICE method:

Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation (RICE)-Topic Overview

Ice really helps. It's better than heat.

todreaminblue

i have horrid knees from years of dancing.....in particular my right knee....i actually think my family my daughter included she is a runner have knee issues ...athletic family....we have knee blow outs.....we go hard....

extra weight is killer to bad knees to dance you have to keep lean......so often if you drop some weight the knees can handle it a bit better even if you are fairly lean.....if i land a certain way now even down stairs my knee will buckle....the tendons on the side bow out and snap back in.....my daughter said i dance like im boneless evne with extra weight..the stree sand strain i place on my joints is often severe..........the problem with dancing boneless is your bones tendons and cartilige end up complaining when you move certain ways...especially repetitive steps...my personal trainer also said....i go too hard ...when i am passionate i take risks and its not that good when it does me bodily harm........... where you defy having bones.....and dance with passion you have to watch you dont lose sight that you are actually definitely human......bones included and knees....

...which most dancers do they go there..take the risks.........im not going to suggest anything for you to do other than go to your doctor now...urgently...get a referral get some x rays and ultrasounds.... and make sure what the actual problem is catch it early...before the op is needed.....or you can never dance again......you must do this.....adn then if needed get a good physiotherapist and a personal trainer who can strengthen those knees and care for them when you forget and do a move thats costs you your dancing hobby..........good luck....keep dancing...nothing more beautiful is there....look after your knees they are your tools you really do need...do nto dance with extra weight with knee problems/......deb

Edited by todreaminblue
curiouslysearching

Knee problems are very common along with ankles and hip issues.

Like TDIB, I am from a very athletic family with each of us playing

at very high levels. So, I have seen my share of knee problems

over the years. Thankfully, I have never had any severe issues

aside from soreness or the common aches and pains. Dancing,

running, playing a sport, etc normally puts stress on joints and

over time can obviously become painful. It is the pounding and

stress associated with these activities that gets ya. I agree with

the RICE method along with "listening" to your body. When you

feel pain your body is telling your something and often it is

I NEED A REST. So Listen......