Folks,

Just thought I'd share this with the group. My personal story is below.

For those of you who want to get into the gym to lift, burn fat and build strength but don't know how to start, I highly recommend the 5X5 program. You can find it described all over the place if you Google it. Basically it is two workouts that alternate every other day. Each workout involves three compound barbell lifts that anyone can learn. You do 5 sets of 5 reps each (hence the 5x5 moniker). If you're new to the lifts you start out with just the bar and add 5 pounds each time you do the exercise until you hit your max and then work up from there when you can. It is a 12 week program.

I'm 8 weeks into it and am loving it. Strength is going way way up and i've dropped two belt holes in 8 weeks. I've always had good musculature but honestly, my strength hasn't been what I wanted. The program is stupid simple and works your entire body. Highly recommend!

Personal Story

I used to do crossfit about three times a week. Got into the best shape of my life. Then I started going to a crossfit-ish thing with my GF called Orange Theory. Less olympic weightlifting, more running on treadmills. I jacked up my knee something fierce running on an inclined treadmill with pretty much killed me for about 5 months. Even hiking was difficult. I wanted to start crossfit again but my travel and work schedule made it hard and basically if you don't keep up your fitness a crossfit WOD will destroy you.

I loved the lifting part of crossfit so I started this. Totally addicted and have started to incorporate elements of a more advanced program (PHUL).

Edited by Mrin
  • Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...

Your basically training with compound movements and working out the entire body three times a week, which works out each muscle group three times a week.

All these workouts are similar to HIT, POF, etc. dorian yates, mike mentzer, arthur jones the creator of nautilus and who trained casey viator.

Yes, its a good workout. You will build size and strength. But you need to throw in volume as well. The frequency is there. You just need volume. The dense muscles and rounder muscles come from volume. 5 reps is powerlifting range. It will work to a certain extent. You need to throw in volume.

Many natural body builders who I talk to, go up to 20 -30 reps. Higher reps also increase a lot of lactic acid. when your body starts to produce a lot of lactic acid, it releases growth hormones to remove it. You need to stimulate test, gh and igf-1. You need a variety of reps, sets, and different techniques to overload the body.

I used the "strong-lifts" variation of the 5x5 program for a few years, then modified it for my own needs/body. It was a a good program. I find it difficult to do it with my three times a week MMA training (at my age), but try to get in some weight training here and there.

• Author
Your basically training with compound movements and working out the entire body three times a week, which works out each muscle group three times a week.

All these workouts are similar to HIT, POF, etc. dorian yates, mike mentzer, arthur jones the creator of nautilus and who trained casey viator.

Yes, its a good workout. You will build size and strength. But you need to throw in volume as well. The frequency is there. You just need volume. The dense muscles and rounder muscles come from volume. 5 reps is powerlifting range. It will work to a certain extent. You need to throw in volume.

Many natural body builders who I talk to, go up to 20 -30 reps. Higher reps also increase a lot of lactic acid. when your body starts to produce a lot of lactic acid, it releases growth hormones to remove it. You need to stimulate test, gh and igf-1. You need a variety of reps, sets, and different techniques to overload the body.

Ya I hear you. I switched to PHUL which has two power days and two hypertrophy days a week. The hypertrophy days (high reps - lower weight) kick my butt but I am enjoying it.

• 4 weeks later...
OatsAndHall

Strong Lifts and Starting Strength are linear progression strength programs whose overall goal is to build strength in the "big five" compounds lifts: squat, bench, overhead press, deadlift and power clean/bent-over rows. Yes, they provide an added fitness benefit as it is resistance training but they need to be followed to the letter or you're going to over-train. The volume appears "low" but that it because you are training in the 80-85% 1RM range on some serious compound movements. Mixing and matching these programs with others will guarantee burn-out, physically and mentally within a few weeks.

• 2 weeks later...
Folks,

Just thought I'd share this with the group. My personal story is below.

For those of you who want to get into the gym to lift, burn fat and build strength but don't know how to start, I highly recommend the 5X5 program. You can find it described all over the place if you Google it. Basically it is two workouts that alternate every other day. Each workout involves three compound barbell lifts that anyone can learn. You do 5 sets of 5 reps each (hence the 5x5 moniker). If you're new to the lifts you start out with just the bar and add 5 pounds each time you do the exercise until you hit your max and then work up from there when you can. It is a 12 week program.

I'm 8 weeks into it and am loving it. Strength is going way way up and i've dropped two belt holes in 8 weeks. I've always had good musculature but honestly, my strength hasn't been what I wanted. The program is stupid simple and works your entire body. Highly recommend!

Personal Story

I used to do crossfit about three times a week. Got into the best shape of my life. Then I started going to a crossfit-ish thing with my GF called Orange Theory. Less olympic weightlifting, more running on treadmills. I jacked up my knee something fierce running on an inclined treadmill with pretty much killed me for about 5 months. Even hiking was difficult. I wanted to start crossfit again but my travel and work schedule made it hard and basically if you don't keep up your fitness a crossfit WOD will destroy you.

I loved the lifting part of crossfit so I started this. Totally addicted and have started to incorporate elements of a more advanced program (PHUL).

Are you still working out?

I'm not into going to the gym. I practically force myself. I want to go three days a week but so far this week I only did one (today.)

I want to be more into it.

(I just checked out StrongLifts 5x5 all of the exercises would kill my back.)

Edited by Spring23

I'm not into going to the gym. I practically force myself. I want to go three days a week but so far this week I only did one (today.)

I have modified the 5x5 program over the years for my back, I dont currently do it, but just saying I substituted some things back then when I did it.

For example dead lifts and squats became trap dead lifts (A) and on (B) Lunges

• Like 1
I have modified the 5x5 program over the years for my back, I dont currently do it, but just saying I substituted some things back then when I did it.

For example dead lifts and squats became trap dead lifts (A) and on (B) Lunges

I could do squats without any weight.

Also, I never put weight above my head if I'm standing. I love taking Barre class. Pumping weight is a bit boring but I do it because I want to increase strength.

• Like 2
I could do squats without any weight.

Also, I never put weight above my head if I'm standing. I love taking Barre class. Pumping weight is a bit boring but I do it because I want to increase strength.

Due to workout space limitation - I did seated shoulder presses instead of military presses.

I found holding dumbbells while doing lunges very good for squat substitutes. The trap bar deadlifts were also good for legs.

The 5x5 program added bent over rows - but their original was pull ups (laying and pulling yourself up on bar) and I found this better for the back.

But lots of things out there to do besides this routine. 5x5 is good if you want to really increase strength.

I recently bought an air bike (Schwinn AD6) and look forward to cardio and resistance training all in one in 20 mins or less. I am finding the heavy weights not right for me right now - I am strong enough.

• Like 1

The 5x5 program added bent over rows - but their original was pull ups (laying and pulling yourself up on bar) and I found this better for the back.

That sounds good. Next time I'm suppose to go to the gym is Monday. I'll add that to my work-out.

• Author

I am. 3-4 times a week. I am complete PHUL now but that still has the five compound lifts of 5x5. What happened to your back?

• Like 1
I am. 3-4 times a week. I am complete PHUL now but that still has the five compound lifts of 5x5. What happened to your back?

I messed it up when I got into gardening. I was planting small trees and bushes and didn't realize that the digging movement was ruining by back until I began feeling massive pain. I'm able to work with it now. I keep core muscles strong so I won't have to stop doing stuff I love.

• 1 month later...