I've been having this problem for quite some time now where no matter how much water I drink I don't stop feeling thirsty! It's TERRIBLE. I will literally drink one glass of water after another and I will still feel thirsty. It will get to the point that I drink so much water that my stomach will hurt but I will still want more water. I have been checked for diabetes several times now and I don't have that. Is there any other reason why I would stay thirsty like this all of the time? What can I do to make my thirst go away?? :(

drink something with sugar in it or a liquid with any sort of calorie amount ie milk, juice etc

LucreziaBorgia

Have you talked to a doctor about it recently to rule out anything else? What is your diet like?

I would go to a doctor ASAP. Increased thirst can be a sign of diabetes, among other things.

• Author

I have been to the doctor and had a lot of tests run but I'm as healthy as can be! My main concern was diabetes but I have been checked numerous times and I always end up being normal.

My diet could be better...I know I probably don't eat enough..could this have something to do with it?

Jesusfist, I never thought drinking something with sugar or calorie may help. I will try that out.

Nem honey - you said you hadn't wanted to eat so your Dr upped your meds, maybe what you are interpreting as thirst is really your body looking for other nutrients and no real nutrients in water so I agree with jesusfist, drink something with calories...something with milk would be good.

I would not rely on the advice of folks here. Really, talk to your doctor about this. You could have something serious.

whichwayisup

Blood tests show alot, so really make sure they test for your vitamins/minerals. I go for B12 shots every month now for 10 months.

Could be thyroid, could be the very early stages of Diabetes...I don't know, and I really don't want to say too much cuz I ain't no Dr...But definately keep on going and talking to your doctor. Don't give up until they can figure out what is going on.

Do you pee alot after drinking all that water?

DO drink Gatoraid.

• Author

I have had so much blood work done that it's just crazy. I did have my thyroid checked, and all is normal. I'm thinking that it may have something to do with my not eating enough. I'm still working on that. Even after my meds were upped I still don't have much of an appetite so I don't know what to do about this! I have to go back to the doctor this coming friday and have my weight charted again. The goal is to gain at least 3 pounds since last time I went but I doubt this is going to be the case.

I do have to pee a lot! :mad:

Another reason why I would like this thirst problem to stop because it is VERY annoying having to run to the bathroom every 5 seconds! Not to mention that I will drink so much water that my stomach will pooch out and hurt! :(

Sometimes I will just put in a piece of gum and hope that it will make me less thirsty but I will start feeling lightheaded and have to go get a drink of water anyway.

I just went and bought some Gatorade since you all suggested this. I hope this will help with the problem some.

HotCaliGirl

I would go to a different doctor to get another opinion. Not all doctors know everything - some are better at diagnosing some things than others are so don't limit yourself to only his knowledge and experience when your health is on the line.

I too have heard that diabetes makes people very thirsty.

Also salt creates thirst. Do you eat a lot of salty foods?

You say you don't eat enough - your body will dehydrate without enough fluids so if you're not getting enough from food then you may end up feeling extra thirsty. Also, if you drink a lot of coffee, it makes your body dehydrated. And again, your medications can do that too. My friend was drinking so much water when she started taking a certain medication and had to switch to another.

Get checked out with another doctor who can suspect something nobody else has and have blood work done to verify his suspicions...

Originally posted by HotCaliGirl

I would go to a different doctor to get another opinion.

I second that.

Originally posted by XNemesisX

Even after my meds were upped I still don't have much of an appetite so I don't know what to do about this!

Check the side effects of your meds online (rxlist.com is a decent site to search) some Meds do have side effects like dry mouth, increased thirst and/or decreased appetite. A second opinion seems like the prudent thing to do as well.
  • Author

Actually, that is right! A side effect of my meds is dry mouth..wonder if that is all it is from?

Hmm..

organic chemistry

hey...for my med...the side effect is dry mouth and lose of appetite too...

and yea..i need to drink lots of water...but i try to take small sip when my mouth feels dry...that way i dun drink a lot of water in a short period of them...

lose of appetite...that's harder to fix...even when the food is great...i just dun feel like eating...

well...my cure is to eat with friends...then to fit in and i dun wanna look like i have aneroxia...i'll try to match up with the amount of what my friends eat

Simple test - if your pee is very clear, then dehydration is not the problem (and I very much doubt it would be) - if its very yellow, then yeah you are very dehydrated.

If it is a side effect of your medicine, a temporary suggestion could be buying a slurpee from your local 7-11.

The reason why, is that if you take the crushed ice in your mouth a little at a time, it will slowly melt in your mouth getting rid of the dry throat feeling for longer and letting your body absorb the water easier, rather than a gulp of water which will ease the dryness for a few seconds and will start bloating your stomach up alot more.

Crushed ice on the tongue is what is suggested for heatstroke, as the ice melts at a slow enough rate, that the body can absorb it without bloating the persons stomach - so a similar thing may work for you here - But obviously as an interim solution. Ofcourse see a doc!

Auz

• Author

Thanks Auz for the helpful advice :)

I will try that out...I had never thought of that before but it makes a lot of sense. The bloating stomach really bugs me a lot. Cool...I am going to try that out! ;)

Yeah I think dehydration is definitely not the problem. One thing is for sure..I certainly get enough water daily! I probably go through several gallons a day if not more.. :o

• 2 weeks later...
smarty pants
Originally posted by HotCaliGirl

I would go to a different doctor to get another opinion. Not all doctors know everything - some are better at diagnosing some things than others are so don't limit yourself to only his knowledge and experience when your health is on the line.

I too have heard that diabetes makes people very thirsty.

Also salt creates thirst. Do you eat a lot of salty foods?

You say you don't eat enough - your body will dehydrate without enough fluids so if you're not getting enough from food then you may end up feeling extra thirsty. Also, if you drink a lot of coffee, it makes your body dehydrated. And again, your medications can do that too. My friend was drinking so much water when she started taking a certain medication and had to switch to another.

Get checked out with another doctor who can suspect something nobody else has and have blood work done to verify his suspicions...

Originally posted by Craig

Check the side effects of your meds online (rxlist.com is a decent site to search) some Meds do have side effects like dry mouth, increased thirst and/or decreased appetite. A second opinion seems like the prudent thing to do as well.

Smart folks on this here forum. Pay heed.