I have packed on some pounds over the last year. Not a lot but just enough to notice that my jeans are snug. I used to walk a lot, for exercise. After a long time of walking I kinda lost my motivation for whatever reason. I regained the weight I had lost....

Then I started again. lost a few pounds.

Now I am at a place where I just can not seem to get one foot in front of the other to get back in the groove of walking. What the heck is wrong with me??? ;-)

How do you get or stay motivated to exercise, even if it just a little??

I don't like that it seems like a chore.....

Thanks in advance.

GunslingerRoland

Walking is generally a poor form of exercise. I mean any exercise is better than none. But how much do you really have to walk to burn off any real amount of calories? And you aren't building any real muscle tone or anything during it. It might be worth considering something a little more active instead?

I disagree with the previous poster. Walking is a great way to exercise and burn calories, especially if you do a brisk walk.

I found a podcast I really like, but don't allow myself to listen to it except when I'm out walking. Because I want to listen to the next episode, it motivates me to get out and walk.

• Like 4
thefooloftheyear

Weight training is the best bang for the buck as far as time invested vs results...Better to tone your body than just lose weight, and resistance training will accomplish that better than anything else..

If you want to motivate yourself, take a selfie buck naked, or with as little clothing as practical, and print it...Put it in a place where you will see it every day...No, not kidding...really works well...

TFY

• Like 3

I recently went through huge weight loss, not only did lose 210lbs of dead weight when I got divorced, but I went from 203lbs to 146 in a year. Only 21 more pounds to my goal :)

I walk.. A LOT.. thats how I got started. And quite honestly my motivation was my kids. Because I wanted to get out of the house and away from them for some peace! I'm a very musical person so walking briskly while listening to my favorite music was and, still is, one of the things I enjoy most.

After awhile though walking wasn't enough. I hit a plateau, so the weight was harder to get off. I joined a gym and do yoga once a week, and do some light weight training (want buns of steal and abs) lol

Once the weight started coming off, it was easy to stay motivated. Hopefully you can find what motivates you!

When you say weight training, do you mean those leg press machines or those shoulder machines and belly machines that you can work out on, or do you mean actual weights that you hold in your hands and use in all kinds of different ways. Because really I have no idea how to use them. The machines in the gym are fine, they come with instructions usually.......but actual weights?

i use weights in some of my aerobics and yoga classes. But mostly I use machines. I like the ab cruncher machine, it works very well for getting rid of the "baby belly"! The rowing machine really helps with the underarm wave!

Do you have a trainer at your gym that can explain things and maybe work out a plan for you? Thats what I did when I started. They showed me which machines worked what, and how often or how little I should use it. Then they told me about various classes I could take as well.

• Like 1
i use weights in some of my aerobics and yoga classes. But mostly I use machines. I like the ab cruncher machine, it works very well for getting rid of the "baby belly"! The rowing machine really helps with the underarm wave!

Do you have a trainer at your gym that can explain things and maybe work out a plan for you? Thats what I did when I started. They showed me which machines worked what, and how often or how little I should use it. Then they told me about various classes I could take as well.

No - I don't feel comfortable asking for help. I don't know.....I'm just not a gym rat.....I need to lose 10-15 lbs and tone up ..... I'm super fluffy. I'm just too lazy and lack motivation.

Congrats on your weight loss. That's awesome!

MissG believe me.. If I can do it, anyone can!

Start slow, find something you enjoy doing... like say... taking pictures.

Bring a camera with you and go for walks taking nature pictures. Watching birds, or even feeding birds! All it takes is getting out and getting started.

And thank you! Best of luck to you!

Are you open to running at all?

I lost my motivation to exercise on a normal basis, so I signed up for a half-marathon. (I've done races before so it's not like I just jumped into it completely new.) I loved making a training plan, pinning it up on my fridge, and crossing off the day's exercise that I completed. Prior to me signing up, I was pretty much half-assing my workouts if I did them at all.

There are shorter races as well - 5ks and 10ks. And people do walk them if running isn't your thing. It helps to have goal and to work towards it.

• Like 1

my family is HUGE into marathons, we even have a 5k during our family reunion.

I don't run, I do walk them, and occasionally jog. Running to me isn't comfortable, yet. There are lots of 5 and 10k's in my city all year long, we do them as fundraisers. Its a great way to exercise. get out and meet new people, and raise money for a good cause.

GorillaTheater

Something I do is look for any opportunity to work a muscle or two doing everyday stuff. Take the stairs instead of an elevator (I work on the sixth floor), park in the outback when you go to the store, use a push mower instead of a riding mower (I regularly mow about an acre and a half). Hell, even something as simple as using a manual can opener instead of an electric model.

• Like 2
GunslingerRoland
I disagree with the previous poster. Walking is a great way to exercise and burn calories, especially if you do a brisk walk.

I found a podcast I really like, but don't allow myself to listen to it except when I'm out walking. Because I want to listen to the next episode, it motivates me to get out and walk.

Per runners world you burn 3 times as many calories per minute running as you do walking when you factor in after burn.

I love walking personally, I think it's great. But it's a very inefficient exercise as far as time vs. calories.

If you work a job where you do a lot of walking, you go on a lot of walks for fun, or you are on a vacation where you do a lot of walking it is a great way to burn some free calories. But if you are going out specifically to do exercise, unless it is literally the only thing you can do, you are probably better picking something else.

Also, in response to MissG about working out with weights vs. machines. Doing either you are putting yourself at serious risk of injury and also risking wasting your time if you aren't doing exercises properly. Book an appointment with a personal trainer to learn how to do exercises properly. No, looking at the picture on the side of a machine will not teach you proper form for lifting weights.

Weight training is the best bang for the buck as far as time invested vs results...Better to tone your body than just lose weight, and resistance training will accomplish that better than anything else

I second this. Lift. Free weights are best, and heavy as you can. But do make sure you get someone who knows what they're doing to teach you up front and start slow.

In addition to weights I also do cardio HIIT sessions. Plus probably about one steady state session a fortnight of walking - generally an outdoor 5 km walk in 45 mins for the fresh air and scenery.

The thing with weights and HIIT are that they are incredibly efficient forms of exercise which produce real physiological changes quickly. Build your major muscle groups and your metabolism changes, stress your system with short intense intervals (80 to 100 per cent effort) and your mitochondria change. Google and you'll find the health benefits range from slowing the skin's aging process to reducing the side effects of menopause. Losing weight is just the tip of the iceberg.

I rarely do more than 30 mins exercise in a session. I have all the equipment I need at home--weights and a bench, a cross trainer and a treadmill--to do most workouts at home. I only go to the gym to hangout with my daughter or for the sessions where I need really heavy weights (legs, glutes, etc).

I'm in my 40s and in the best shape of my life! Far better shape than when I was younger and spending far more time exercising (running, walking, etc) inefficiently.

• Like 2
SilentiousBird

I find myself struggling to find motivation to exercise again too. I think I expect myself to be right back where I was right off the bat, and that's just not reality.

The only thing that's ever worked for me is finding the type of exercise I'm passionate about (for me it's outdoor sports) and making the conscious decision to just do it. Seriously. Sometimes I'll spend 20 minutes debating if I want to put on shoes to work out when I could have already been done with a quick work out. Make a schedule and over time it will become a routine.

Having some dumbbells and a jump rope in the garage helps too. I can go in there to work out without worrying about crowds at a gym or even putting on a damn shirt.

• Like 1
JustGettingBy

Make a rule of 3 things in your neighbourhood per week that are a good distance away you want to get a photograph of, and make a rule of you have to walk there and back.

• Author

When I was younger I walked and walked and walked. One time I lost over 40 pounds. I did some 5K's and 1-10K. I felt great about that. I know since I am older now its gonna take a lot of extra effort to lose weight. Plus its getting to be more about overall health and not the size of my jeans.. ;-)

Just gotta do it!!

How do you get or stay motivated to exercise, even if it just a little??

I don't like that it seems like a chore.....

Thanks in advance.

Lets look at it from a different angle:

What are your aversions to exercise?

What's so bad about it?

What do you choose to do with that time instead, watch TV, facebook/internet?

Most people aren't doing high quality activities in its place like learning a musical instrument, volunteering, or participating in a social group. They just waste the time away.

Decide your health, fitness, and vanity(confidence+satisfaction) are more important than facebook and Big Bang Theory. Shouldn't be a difficult choice.

• Like 1

aerobics is natures antidepressant. Any form. Read the book spark and you will see what it does to the brain and for your general health, weight loss as well.

motivation will come naturally. Body change, the feel good chemicals your body releases, the challenge, and the vision you create in your head on what you want to look like.

The gym will also start to be your therapy. If it wasn't for the gym, id be in shambles. Just destroyed. The weights have kept me going. Yes, I am a gym rat. It will always be there for me. Gym > women/dating. yes that is extreme. I would rather do biceps and triceps on a friday night than go to a place and meet women. Nough said.

• 3 weeks later...
Plus its getting to be more about overall health and not the size of my jeans.. ;-)

Just gotta do it!!

I agree it's easy to get bored and demotivated with any single form of exercise. Tennis is my main workout but I look for variety beyond that - walk, run, bike, hike, swim, etc., it has to have a "fun factor" to keep me moving. Also effective to be part of a group, there's strength in numbers. Meetup.com and active.com can help connect you with other similarly inclined folks...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
When you say weight training, do you mean those leg press machines or those shoulder machines and belly machines that you can work out on, or do you mean actual weights that you hold in your hands and use in all kinds of different ways. Because really I have no idea how to use them. The machines in the gym are fine, they come with instructions usually.......but actual weights?

Free weights will give you better results than the weight machines. There are lots of videos on YouTube. Also, the ripped guys at the gym are often happy to help show you too. ;)

I like the ab cruncher machine, it works very well for getting rid of the "baby belly"!

Just a cautious note on this. If you have had children and your abs have split, traditional ab crunches can make it more apparent and give you a bigger pooch. There are exercises that can be done to help close the muscles back up.

Belly dance is also a great exercise for abs (and many muscle groups) and can be done even if the muscle split during pregnancy.

I second this. Lift. Free weights are best, and heavy as you can. But do make sure you get someone who knows what they're doing to teach you up front and start slow.

In addition to weights I also do cardio HIIT sessions.

Totally agree with this post. I read the Mike Matthews book geared towards women which suggests the same and have been following his workout for the last few weeks. I haven't lost any weight yet (I need to change my diet for that) but my muscles are all nice and toned now and the little bits of flab are all disappearing.

I have some yoga pants that can fit my phone in them so I just plug in my favorite podcasts as I lift. Then I stream some TV on the treadmill on cardio days.

• 2 weeks later...

OP: I'm a +1 on weight training. Absolutely is the best bang for you buck. Honestly, don't use the machines. Just use free weights. Google 5x5 strength training or just go to StrongLifts.com. They have a totally free strength training program that is just 5 barbell lifts. As long as you have access to a gym with barbells you're good to go. Lots of how to's and you start off with an empty bar and work up from there. Super easy for beginners.

Nowadays there are plenty of ways to keep you nice and shape with some modern techninques that combining common fitness exercises and really intense methods that can rise your sensitivity of intimate sphere in different ways. You just need to start and experienced mentors will force you to the propper form)