How do you lose weight? Exercise actually makes me ill as it messes with my thryroid/electrolytes, etc. And there's all kinds of conflicting advice on the internet, I think this is one of those things that still hasn't been studied in much depth. So I'm asking: Are you trying to lose weight? What works for you?

truthtripper

My dad had a hypo thyroid. He was always very tired and getting fatter. But his thyroxin levels were not low enough for the doctors to prescribe it for him. After several months of taking a herbal remedy called Dr Christopher's Thyroid Maintainance, he got another blood test and his thyroxin level was normal again.

It's well worth a try.

Christopher's Original Formulas, Thyroid Maintenance Formula, 475 mg Each, 100 Veggie Caps - iHerb.com

ManyDissapoint

I take 150 mg synthroid due to my body being a jerk and killing my thyroid gland (hashimoto's). Jogging, biking and lifting weights. I also free dive and spearfish. I can't say that hypothyroidism has ever had a noticeable impact on me, in the realm of physical activity or otherwise. I have unreasonable shortness of breath for how fit I am but other than that I'm normal.

What exactly do you feel when you excersize? Are you overweight?

You should talk to your doctor. Exercise is important for everyone, and there shouldn't be any negative interaction between thyroid function and exercise.

To lose weight, calories in have to be less than calories out. if you are eating at an appropriate level and not losing weight, this is something else to discuss with your doctor. It will be helpful if you use a tool (like Fitday) to log everythig you eat and bring the log with you to your appointment.

My mom was on Armour (bovine thyroid hormone) since the 50's and she managed her weight with a lean diet and plenty of outside work and walking. In her seventies, she and I would walk two or three miles at a stretch and I had a hard time keeping up with her. Routine TSH tests and keeping on top of the meds seemed to work well for her. I didn't inherit her issue, apparently. No sign of it yet. She was 5'6" and 135-140 most of her life until she started wasting after getting dementia.

I'd get some medical advice on managing the thyroid issue related to exercise. There's got to be a way and exercise is essential to many aspects of health, not just weight.