The Whole30 Program

The Whole30 Program

I've been researching methods to alleviate joint pain and inflammation. I also have a goal of reducing my body fat from around 10 percent to 8 percent. That's ... challenging .... to say the least.

Anyway, I can across The Whole30 Program a few nights ago. I generally don't like "diets" (though they say it's not a diet), but I'm intrigued because it seems to address some of the issues I'm facing. My diet is not far from this now, so the adjustment should be too difficult.

Thoughts?

Has anybody done this? What were your results?

• Author

Basically, the program is to eat what I call natural foods: meat, fruit, vegetables, seeds and nuts.

Things to avoid include: added sugar, alcohol, grains (rice, corn, wheat, quinoa, etc.), legumes (beans, peas and things made with them (tofu, soy sauce, etc.)), dairy, MSG and the like, and only weighing or measuring yourself once per month.

Do you eat pretty much this now? If yes and you can stick to his for life - pretty healthy as long as you get calcium form somewhere. Calcium seems to be at a loss pretty drastically.

Why do you get joint pain?

What is it you really want to achieve weight loss or losing joint pain?

And what have you been eating/doing the past few months/year in terms of what you eat and what exercise you do?

• Author

I'm not sure where the joint pain comes from. I believe it's a combination of age, overexercise and poor form.

I do a combination of body weight exercises and the typical free weight exercises. After pushups, burpees and so forth, I get pain in my wrists. I do have some shoulder, knee and hip pain, but it's minor and I think somewhat normal. I'm mainly concerned with the pain in my wrists.

As I said, my diet is close to what they recommend. I do eat grains, legumes and dairy, but no added sugar, alcohol, or processed foods. Making the adjustment for 30 days shouldn't be hard at all.

You're right about the calcium (or lack thereof) in their recommendation. I'll have to watch that and/or supplement.

• 2 weeks later...

It's too strict for me. I'm a part of a Whole30 group that's had a number of people happy with their results, though (on facebook).

I have the cookbook, and have made a few recipes, but I'm still not ready to try it for a whole month.

• Author

I started on the 30th. Today makes one week and I've done pretty well so far. Determining what to make for each meal was a challenge for the first few days. Once I got comfortable staying within the restrictions, I got more creative and came up with new ideas for meals.

I do see some slight results, but it's too early to declare it a success.

• Like 2

I love the whole30, tho I've never made it 30 days bc of wine. lol But I feel great when I stay pretty close to it. I learned that dairy is really bad for me and not nearly as hard to give up as I thought. I've prob only had dairy of 3 or 4 occasions in the last six months. Grains are harder for me to avoid, but I think they're pretty bad for me, too.

Good luck! I hope it helps w your issues.

• Author

Thanks!

I do feel the inflammation is going away, but I think a large part of the problem was overexercising or needing more recovery time between exercising.

• Like 1
dreamingoftigers

I took an allergy / I tolerance test through an independent lab recently and discovered a while bunch of things that cause inflammation for me.

Here's the list:

Crab, sole, peanuts, sunflower seeds, pistachios, cows milk, goat's milk, sheep milk, almonds (so no almond milk either), barley, CELERY, KIDNEY BEANS, WHITE BEANS, PEAS (turns out I have a huge immune reaction to peas), egg whites, hazelnuts, oats, mussels, brewer's yeast, and. Get this: wheat, but not wheat gluten....(they test the two separately).

So, I eliminated them from my diet and my inflammation went down so much, dropped 17 lbs etc.

I had no idea about the peas / kidney beans / celery. Kidney beans were some of my favorite.

The other day I had some sour cream at my father's birthday and immediate I got majorly congested, my stomach got upset and my intestines felt like they were spasming.

You might want to be get the blood test to determine food intolerance.

My inflammation wasso bad that I would sometimes have trouble closing my hands in the morning.

• Like 1
dreamingoftigers
I took an allergy / I tolerance test through an independent lab recently and discovered a while bunch of things that cause inflammation for me.

Here's the list:

Crab, sole, peanuts, sunflower seeds, pistachios, cows milk, goat's milk, sheep milk, almonds (so no almond milk either), barley, CELERY, KIDNEY BEANS, WHITE BEANS, PEAS (turns out I have a huge immune reaction to peas), egg whites, hazelnuts, oats, mussels, brewer's yeast, and. Get this: wheat, but not wheat gluten....(they test the two separately).

So, I eliminated them from my diet and my inflammation went down so much, dropped 17 lbs etc.

I had no idea about the peas / kidney beans / celery. Kidney beans were some of my favorite.

The other day I had some sour cream at my father's birthday and immediate I got majorly congested, my stomach got upset and my intestines felt like they were spasming.

My inflammation wasso bad that I would sometimes have trouble closing my hands in the morning.

But the way, usually people have two or three things that they don't process well. My father and brother have more than I do. (Ha ha Dad, I can still eat cashews and scallops....)

Also I forgot about soybeans, potatoes, and mustard seed. I miss mustard.

• Like 1
  • Author

Here's the list:

Wow.

I've read resources (other than The Whole30) that said pretty much the same thing. Grains, dairy, beans and so forth being linked to inflammation.

I wasn't aware of any of this and was just researching to find some solutions.

I should get the food intolerance test. My sister had it done and discovered she had several food allergies. Thanks for mentioning that.

• Like 1
  • Author
But the way, usually people have two or three things that they don't process well. My father and brother have more than I do. (Ha ha Dad, I can still eat cashews and scallops....)

Also I forgot about soybeans, potatoes, and mustard seed. I miss mustard.

Yeah. Avoiding soy is a tough one for me. I used soy sauce a lot when cooking. Grains is a problem because I like sushi. Quinoa had become a staple for me. Greek yogurt.

Aghhh.

I think I can hang in there for 30 days though. :D

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
MidnightBlue1980

I switched to a light Paleo May 2015 and it changed my life. I say light because I do eat dairy, yogurt, milk in coffee and cheese. I drink red wine but really gave up beer for the most part. Almost never have flour or sugar. No pasta, bread, rice and of course anything that you know is bad for you. The only dessert I eat is dark chocolate 85% or higher. I eat whatever fruit and vegetables, some legumes. No one is unhealthy because they ate too many apples or chickpeas.

My energy level went through the roof. I also had no sex drive, I'm now 44, and it completed did a 180. I researched it and sugar and flour kills the libido.

As for inflammation, I had problems with my knees and ankles and it seems fine now. They used to puff up but no more. If I have pizza and a beer though, I'm a puff ball for 3 days and gain 8 lbs.

It's a hard diet to do alone. My H does it with me and is even more hard core, he adds juicing and green wraps.

• Author

Well, I fell off the wagon a little. Not too bad. Had corn, peas, beans, and ... peppermint candy. :D

The plan requires you to start over if you fall off. So, I'm starting over today with the goal of making it to Thanksgiving. That should give me a full thirty days. All bets are off on Thanksgiving.

I've removed those offending items from the pantry. That always seems to help me stay on track.

I can say the inflammation is much, much better. I'm thinking sugar and dairy are the biggest triggers for me. We'll see how it goes when I add some dairy back after the thirty days is over. Kinda miss yogurt and cheese.

I have similar issues and would like to suggest an alternative option.

Paddison Podcast

Since I am a Vegan, this option works better for me and I've been able to keep my inflammation completely down eating this way. I have listened to most of the podcast but haven't purchased his plan. However, his plan is very close to the Dr. John McDougall plan (starch-based), and that is how I eat. One of Paddion's podcasts is an interview with Dr. McDougall....very interesting and informative.

• Like 1
  • Author
I have similar issues and would like to suggest an alternative option.

Paddison Podcast

Since I am a Vegan, this option works better for me and I've been able to keep my inflammation completely down eating this way. I have listened to most of the podcast but haven't purchased his plan. However, his plan is very close to the Dr. John McDougall plan (starch-based), and that is how I eat. One of Paddion's podcasts is an interview with Dr. McDougall....very interesting and informative.

Thanks. I'll check it out.