Severe Cramping in Lower Left Leg

Hey guys, need your help, I hope you can!

Around three or even four times a week, I will wake up in morn, and not immediately, but say five minutes later, I will feel a SEVERE cramping in my lower left leg muscle in the back.

I mean SEVERE! Like this morning it happened again, the pain was so intense I nearly vomited, no kidding.

It lasts for around five minutes or so, it goes away and then I am fine for the rest of the day.

Does anyone know what might be causing this?

Low sodium or potassium? I eat a really healthy diet but maybe not enough salt?

And why just in that one area?

Any help would be appreciated... thanks!

You mean the calf? That's a common muscle cramp. I've heard potassium (eat more bananas) or even just not enough water as culprits before but I'm sure other know more about that than me, but you don't have to just endure it lol - stand up and lean against a wall like you're doing a pushup against it and extend the cramp leg behind you with your toes curled and touching the floor so that the calf muscle is extended. It'll feel like the wrong thing to do but it actually makes the cramp stop when you do it.

• Like 2

Try magnesium bisglycinate or magnesium malate. You can try a banana or two first if you happen to have some around, to see if it's a potassium deficiency, but it's most likely a magnesium issue.

It is likely that you have a magnesium deficiency (which is extremely common), and it shows up in your muscle(s) not relaxing. Magnesium is a natural muscle relaxant.

Leg cramps are very common in those with a magnesium deficiency, and magnesium always what I first recommend to people who have leg cramps/restless legs.

And yes, like others have said, keep hydrated.

Take care.

Edited by sooshi
  • Like 2
  • Author
You mean the calf? That's a common muscle cramp. I've heard potassium (eat more bananas) or even just not enough water as culprits before but I'm sure other know more about that than me, but you don't have to just endure it lol - stand up and lean against a wall like you're doing a pushup against it and extend the cramp leg behind you with your toes curled and touching the floor so that the calf muscle is extended. It'll feel like the wrong thing to do but it actually makes the cramp stop when you do it.

LOL yes the calf muscle jen...for the life of me I could not think of the word as I was typing.... total blonde moment! haha.

Anyhoo, thanks for telling me it is common, I was beginning think something was seriously wrong with me, like cancer or something.

I will try what you suggested and yeah the potassium thingee but hell I drink V-8 doesn't that have loads of potassium?

I do run so maybe I lose it through perspiration even though I don't perspire? lol.

Also what's weird is that while I am cramping my toes become paralyzed so can't really move the toes.

Then like I said, around five minutes later the pain starts to subside, I start feeling my toes again, and everything goes back to normal.

• Author
Try magnesium bisglycinate or magnesium malate. You can try a banana or two first if you happen to have some around, to see if it's a potassium deficiency, but it's most likely a magnesium issue.

It is likely that you have a magnesium deficiency (which is extremely common), and it shows up in your muscle(s) not relaxing. Magnesium is a natural muscle relaxant.

Leg cramps are very common in those with a magnesium deficiency, and magnesium always what I first recommend to people who have leg cramps/restless legs.

And yes, like others have said, keep hydrated.

Take care.

I take magnesium supplements too.... they help me sleep.

• Author
Alcohol tends to give this type of symptom so cut that out as a starter.

That can't be it Gemma, I don't drink alcohol 'cept maybe when I am out on a Friday or Saturday night I will have glass of wine or a beer.

Thank you though... :)

I just saw the post where you say your toes get paralysed?!

Go see a doctor.

You have circulation issues I am thinking but paralysis - get that checked - that is not normal.

• Author
I just saw the post where you say your toes get paralysed?!

Go see a doctor.

You have circulation issues I am thinking but paralysis - get that checked - that is not normal.

Shoot okay now I'm scared but thanks, I will.

In the meantime though, do you have any idea at all what it could be?

I think I will google it.

I cramp everywhere, all the time. I can't even do a proper stretch in the morning, as my calfs will cramp.

It's worse when I've been drinking a lot and am tired. It's mostly dehydration.

So drink more water to start, before even taking extra potassium. It should help. And then when they happen just stand up. That stretches the muscle and makes the cramp go away. Or plant your foot against something. Anything that stretches the muscle.

I once spent a whole night cramping. Every time I started dozing off, one, or both, my legs would cramp. In different places as well. It was loads of fun! Spent the night getting up and walking it off.

• Author
I cramp everywhere, all the time. I can't even do a proper stretch in the morning, as my calfs will cramp.

It's worse when I've been drinking a lot and am tired. It's mostly dehydration.

So drink more water to start, before even taking extra potassium. It should help. And then when they happen just stand up. That stretches the muscle and makes the cramp go away. Or plant your foot against something. Anything that stretches the muscle.

I once spent a whole night cramping. Every time I started dozing off, one, or both, my legs would cramp. In different places as well. It was loads of fun!

Spent the night getting up and walking it off.

The cramping is so bad (just the left calf) I cannot walk AMJ, I can barely stand, plus my toes are paralyzed. The leg actually may be too, now that I think about it.

I wish it were that easy.

Will need to see the doctor I guess as I drink loads of V-8, eats lots of fruits an veggies, take vitamin supplements, including magnesium.

So I don't know but appreciate everyone's suggestions and advice.

I hear you. I've had the same symptoms for a few months. Very severe too.

No need to be a doctor to tell you that drinking a lot of water may reduce the pain or just cancel them at all. And like you it would wake me up every effing night and prevent me from sleeping again. I drink fairly moderately too, I don't know the 'cause' of that.

Walking a bit and going in circles at your place is the right suggestion, sure, that's not something someone want to do early in the morning or in the middle of the night but it helps me.

Next time you see the doc, tell him/her.

• Like 1
The cramping is so bad (just the left calf) I cannot walk AMJ, I can barely stand, plus my toes are paralyzed. The leg actually may be too, now that I think about it.

I wish it were that easy.

Will need to see the doctor I guess as I drink loads of V-8, eats lots of fruits an veggies, take vitamin supplements, including magnesium.

So I don't know but appreciate everyone's suggestions and advice.

If your toes are paralysed, then that's a completely different kettle of fish. You should definitely see a doctor. Or at least call a help line and ask for advice (do you have those where you are?)

But in any case, if you can't stand up, do put your foot flat against the foot of the bed, if it has one or against a wall. It will help. Letting cramps get better on their own takes longer than needed and is much more painful!

• Like 1

Unless you're drinking the low sodium V8, I'm pretty sure it's really high in sodium, and I wouldn't recommend it.

Try increasing your magnesium intake.

Check your B12 levels. And B6. They are especially necessary for optimal nerve health.

Ginger and ginkgo biloba increase circulation, as does cayenne.

Take care.

Edited by sooshi
  • Like 3
  • Author
Unless you're drinking the low sodium V8, I'm pretty sure it's really high in sodium, and I wouldn't recommend it.

Try increasing your magnesium intake.

Check your B12 levels. And B6. They are especially necessary for optimal nerve health.

Ginger and ginkgo biloba increase circulation, as does cayenne.

Take care.

Yeah I definitely drink the low sodium variety.

I can't take any more magnesium... I already take 400 mg a day, my body cannot handle more than that.

I also take B-12 and even get a shot next door at the med spa once a week.

And B-6 is part of my daily multi.

BUT I do not take ginkgo biloba or cayenne so will try that, thanks!

What kind of magnesium are you taking? What happens when you take more?

What form of B12 do you take, and how much of it? Is it under the tongue? What form of B12 is used for your shots?

B6 is in a multi isn't enough if you're low on it. I take a multi, an active B-complex, and was suffering from nerve pain and numbness. I started taking B6 separately and it has REALLY helped. I don't know if it will help you, but it's what came to mind.

Go with ginkgo biloba over cayenne. The effects last longer, and it's gentler on your digestive system.

Take care.

Edited by sooshi
  • Like 1
  • Author
What kind of magnesium are you taking? What happens when you take more?

What form of B12 do you take, and how much of it? Is it under the tongue? What form of B12 is used for your shots?

B6 is in a multi isn't enough if you're low on it. I take a multi, an active B-complex, and was suffering from nerve pain and numbness. I started taking B6 separately and it has REALLY helped. I don't know if it will help you, but it's what came to mind.

Go with ginkgo biloba over cayenne. The effects last longer, and it's gentler on your digestive system.

Take care.

I get my magnesium from the health food store, 400 mg... I can't remember the brand right now, but it's in vitamin form. If I take more than that (without getting into specifics)... it wreaks havoc on my digestive system.

Same with with B-12. It's a vitamin supplement so I swallow it. The shots I get from the med spa, frankly I don't know I never inquired about it, I just get the shot.

B-6 100 mg as part of my multi.

Sometimes my left foot (the same foot that goes numb) gets really really itchy too for no reason, I will just wake up and it starts to itch really bad.

I put the anti-itch cream on and it's okay after that.

God, I always considered myself so healthy, I NEVER get sick, I can't even remember the last time I had a cold even! Like eight YEARS go maybe, no joke!

So this is all starting to sound really weird and scary.

Do you think it has anything to do with the fact I run a lot? Early morning and after work mostly -- three miles.

• Author
Reduce sugar intake (including fruits) and eliminate gluten as best you can if you haven't already, and see how that helps.

Really? I DO drink a lot of orange juice too (in addition to V-8).

Oh and this may be important ...but I DON'T drink regular water -- ever.

I drink Pellegrino or Perrier. Spend a small fortune on it too.

I do recall my doctor telling me awhile ago I definitely should stop drinking so much of that and start drinking regular water --- I think she may have been on to something! I tried stopping but went back to.

Something to do with my kidneys perhaps?

• Author
Really? I DO drink a lot of orange juice too (in addition to V-8).

Oh and this may be important ...but I DON'T drink regular water -- ever.

I drink Pellegrino or Perrier. Spend a small fortune on it too.

I do recall my doctor telling me awhile ago I definitely should stop drinking so much of that and start drinking regular water --- I think she may have been on to something! I tried stopping but went back to.

Something to do with my kidneys perhaps?

OMG guys I did a quick internet search just now on this^^ and this is what I found.

Cramps—especially leg cramps—are common for those with kidney disease. Cramps are thought to be caused by imbalances in fluid and electrolytes, or by nerve damage or blood flow problems.

I am shaking now, yeah I best go in to see the doctor asap.

Thanks all.

To be honest, I'd eliminate both the orange juice and the V-8. Even the low-sodium is still a lot, especially if you drink it a lot.

Orange juice is sugar. Tons of it.

I'd stay away from the sparkling water. It's harsh on the digestive system. I read that you have trouble digesting fish oil capsules, and I think that's due to low stomach acid, which the sparkling water can adversely effect.

When I asked about the form of magnesium, I mean is it magnesium bisgylcinate, citrate, etc. My guess is you're taking either citrate or oxide. Can you check and confirm? :)

A B12 supplement that is swallowed is not effective. You need one that you put under your tongue--a sublingual one. It should also be in the methylcobalmin form (the active form) not the cyanocobalmin form (which is inactive, and also contains cyanide).

The foot itchiness makes me think food allergies, or maybe an allergy to something that it has come in contact with. Maybe it's something in your bed (linen material or something), since it happens when you wake up.

Edited by sooshi
  • Like 2