Fine lines already (I'm 29) should I be concerned?

dragon_fly_7

I'm currently 29 years old (my b-day was on April 7) and this has me worried. I've noticed one fine line on each side below my eyes for the past two weeks or so.

They weren't there before. At first I thought it was due to not sleeping my 8 hours but days later, they are still there. Does this mean I'm going to age faster?

Are they suppose to show up at my age or is it usually later on???

• Like 1
  • Author
dragon_fly_7
No people do start to show age around your age sometimes even younger. Start moisturizing now.
Oh dear.:eek::(

I've been using this La Roche-Posay laboratory cream every day, twice a day (day and night). However, it's been irritating my skin a bit.

• Like 2
Oh dear.:eek::(

I've been using this La Roche-Posay laboratory cream every day, twice a day (day and night). However, it's been irritating my skin a bit.

Then stop with that product. Irritation around the eyes will cause more wrinkles. You need a creme that is soothing.

• Like 2

I've noticed most people begin showing crow's feel in their late 20s and early 30s. One thing I would look into is lactic or glycolic acid. They get rid of the dead skin on the top layer. Lactic acid is considered more moisturizing and better for sensitive skin. Glycolic is better for sun damage and it also stimulates collagen. I really like more natural products and Reviva makes a good one that's effective for me and isn't too expensive if you buy it online.

Since I've added both to my regimen (though I use a medical or spa grade lactic acid) I've found my skin has smoothed a lot and the little scars I had diminished.

• Like 3

The absolute best thing you can do is use SPF every single day. Vitamin C serums are great too, and Tretinoin is something you could speak to a dermatologist about.

• Like 3

Sunscreen every single day regardless of how sunny it is (you can get sun damage in cloudy weather) is your number one defense against wrinkles. Use it under your make up (if you wear make up) and don't count on the spf that is in the foundation alone. It's not enough. I have used it religiously on my face since my 20's and didn't see my first faint line on my forehead until I hit 40. I am in my 40's and still don't have any lines around my eyes. I attribute it to my sunscreen and sunglasses obsession :cool:

• Like 2
Eternal Sunshine

Botox.

If you start early enough (I started at 29) you won't have to worry about wrinkles till 40.

• Like 2
introverted1

A lot of it is genetic. I never moisturized or applied sunscreen and didn't have any lines until my late 40's. Not saying you shouldn't do those things, just pointing out that it's not all under your control.

In general, the fairer you are, the sooner lines show up.

• Like 2
  • Author
dragon_fly_7
A lot of it is genetic. I never moisturized or applied sunscreen and didn't have any lines until my late 40's. Not saying you shouldn't do those things, just pointing out that it's not all under your control.

In general, the fairer you are, the sooner lines show up.

I'm not that white. I'm a light olived tone.

Though it's generally genetics, I find it unfair that my mother who is lighter than me started having lines at a much later age than me (in her early 40's).

Edited by dragon_fly_7
  • Like 2
  • Author
dragon_fly_7
Then stop with that product. Irritation around the eyes will cause more wrinkles. You need a creme that is soothing.
Yeah, I'm cutting out on that product. Thanks
  • Like 1

aw, im also late 20s and formed concentration lines between my eyebrows after i finished my degree this year... and forehead lines. too much brain activity i guess :p i always say to myself that its interesting to read a human's life on their face. crows feet is beautiful btw.

having said that, i try to use sunscreen or cream with spf at all times. this is what ages us the most, the sun. and smoking. and not drinking enough water. i got rose essential oil also, it has a really softening effect on the skin (mine is dry).

• Like 1

Your skin has been inherited just like the rest of you.

What does your mom look like? If she started having wrinkles at 30 and gray hair at 35 then those are the genes you inherited.

You can only take care of your skin and accept who you are.

The worse thing for the skin is the sun. Use sun screen every single day. About make up? Do you use foundation? if yes then start liking the new natural you.

Putting expensive cream on your face then spending your weekends outside under a beating sun will not do much for you.

• Like 1

You can also take collagen supplements. I use it for my stomach, but it's probably helping out my skin, as well. I hardly ever deal with breakouts, anymore, when they used to be a monthly problem.

I've heard that emu oil is good for the skin - I have some that I use on burns, but haven't used it on my face every night. I feel bad for the emus, though.

• Like 1
Romantic Gentleman

How healthy of a lifestyle do you live? You'll show signs of fatigue, and ware overtime if you don't watch your health

• Like 1

As others said, check out AHA and BHA, I use mandelic, salycilic and glycolic acids. Glycolic acid causes sensitivity to the sun though, mandelic acid doesn't.

Check out derma rollers, something like a 0.5 mm

Check out things like radiofrequency therapy. It hurts but it's very very good for collagen production - though you may not need it yet. You can start it around 'problem areas' though, slows down aging.

Not sure about botox, I'd be hesitant to inject toxin anywhere near my brain.

Sunglasses. SPF 30-50, zinc based if you can. The advantage of using AHA/BHA is that you can use as much moisturiser and other creams as you want, the acids will keep your skin spots/blackheads free.

• Like 1

For optimum results people should start working with anti-age products in their mid-twenties.

I've been using moisturizers, drink tons of water, get my 8 hours/night, use sun screen, etc... since I'm in junior high school. I'm 32 and don't have one fine line, in fact people are always shocked when they find out my age, I get asked for my ID when I order alcohol all the time, I pass for about 25-26, max.

Since you found just a couple lines you should be OK if you start with a night regimen.

At this moment I use these items:

Pura d'Or 20% Vitamin C overnight therapy with retinol and hyaluronic acid.

M'lis Repair Tissue Repair Cream (Rebuilds damaged skin, minimize and reverse scars,

Art Naturals 2.5% Retinol Moisturizer.

I also exfoliate daily with either an Apricot Scrub, or by using my Clairasonic.

I also use dead sea mud masks which keep skin super supple.

And final also, I use a 1.5mm dermaroller.

You can also take collagen supplements. I use it for my stomach, but it's probably helping out my skin, as well. I hardly ever deal with breakouts, anymore, when they used to be a monthly problem.

I've heard that emu oil is good for the skin - I have some that I use on burns, but haven't used it on my face every night. I feel bad for the emus, though.

What kind of collagen supplements are you using? I've been thinking of starting that.

Honestly, its mostly genetics.

My mom has very few wrinkles. My sister is 45 and can pass for late 20’s. I am 38 – and usually get guessed for mid 20’s,– just last night I mentioned my age to someone that they gasped “don’t tell people that!!” – I asked why, they said because I could pass for younger – I said I was proud of my age!

Now, that said I do believe that healthy living, hydration, and sunscreen do make a difference.

Once upon a time I worked in the cosmetic industry, and I am not convinced that 99% of the things you can slather on your face aren’t hocus pocus.

So, eat right, drink your water, SLEEP (I am bad about this one) and use your sunscreen! EVERYDAY.

• Like 2
What kind of collagen supplements are you using? I've been thinking of starting that.

At the moment, I'm using Great Lakes collagen. I add it to tea, soup, or hot chocolate, but I'm not using the full dose (I cut back to save money, but I also need to work my way up to the full dose again). I started out with a tiny amount, just using 1/4 of a teaspoon. Even with the smaller doses, pain in my arm disappeared, and my skin was softer. I thought that my hair was a bit fuller around my hairline, as well, but I didn't take before and after pictures, so I can't be sure.

My sister wants to try the collagen from Vital Proteins.

• Like 1

I do retinal at night, sunscreen in the morning. I'll be 32 very soon and no lines so far, so I think it works. My mother didn't wrinkle at all until her late 40s so genetics help as well.

I did Botox for medical purposes before and hated the feeling... But if I start getting crow feet, I may reconsider...

I've never paid much attention to mine, but to be honest I don't know anyone above the age of 20 who doesn't have a single fine line on their face. The reason why you might not see it often is because it can be covered up with makeup, but without makeup I think it's very normal to have a fine line here and there. I know that all my friends (of either gender) have them... and many of us still constantly get carded - in a country where the drinking age is 18! Also, I personally wish that we as a society wouldn't obsess over keeping women's faces looking like they're 18 all the time.

That being said, if your moisturizer is irritating your skin, it's the wrong cream for you. Constant skin irritation dries up your skin and will make things worse. I've read dermatologist advice that the best moisturizer is also one of the cheapest - simple aqueous cream. Seems to work well for me, and I have very sensitive skin.

Sunscreen is definitely needed, not just to prevent wrinkles but also to prevent skin cancer. However, if you have easily-irritated skin, it may be a bit more difficult to find sunscreen that doesn't irritate your face. So far I've had best luck with QV face moisturizing day cream (SPF 30+ - which is really as much as you need, see http://www.webmd.com/beauty/sun/high-spf-sunscreens-are-they-better). Reapply every two hours.

Edited by Elswyth
  • Like 1
Also, I personally wish that we as a society wouldn't obsess over keeping women's faces looking like they're 18 all the time.

I know, it's annoying. I remember a commercial marketing something as an anti-aging product: put it on before bed, and wake up looking years younger. I think the models they used in the advert were only around fifteen years old!

I only used moisturizer occasionally, when I was younger (collagen elastin from St. Ives, because it left my skin feeling really soft), but I keep forgetting now. I think part of that is annoyance at the expectation. I don't remember there being such a focus on it when I was younger, unless I just wasn't paying attention (and I wasn't around girls who were obsessed with that sort of thing - my sister got into it later on).

• Like 1

I'm sure depends how close you look but make up definitely doesn't help, if anything if draws the attention to fine lines (ok maybe some primers help tiny bit but regular foundation - no).

I never understood why people believe they look younger. With or without lines 30 is NOT 18 and will never look any close. Even surgery etc don't make people look younger, just makes them good looking older women. Which is btw fine.

The carding is purely because it is the law. Nobody mistakes 25 yo crowds for 17 (heck the tired of life look already shows at 22;)) but they act on the principle better safe than sorry...

I've never paid much attention to mine, but to be honest I don't know anyone above the age of 20 who doesn't have a single fine line on their face. The reason why you might not see it often is because it can be covered up with makeup, but without makeup I think it's very normal to have a fine line here and there. I know that all my friends (of either gender) have them... and many of us still constantly get carded - in a country where the drinking age is 18! Also, I personally wish that we as a society wouldn't obsess over keeping women's faces looking like they're 18 all the time.

That being said, if your moisturizer is irritating your skin, it's the wrong cream for you. Constant skin irritation dries up your skin and will make things worse. I've read dermatologist advice that the best moisturizer is also one of the cheapest - simple aqueous cream. Seems to work well for me, and I have very sensitive skin.

Sunscreen is definitely needed, not just to prevent wrinkles but also to prevent skin cancer. However, if you have easily-irritated skin, it may be a bit more difficult to find sunscreen that doesn't irritate your face. So far I've had best luck with QV face moisturizing day cream (SPF 30+ - which is really as much as you need, see High SPF Sunscreens: Are they Better?). Reapply every two hours.