Can't get going in the morning! How to get up full of energy?

Even though I sleep my 7-8 hours each night it takes me forever to get energetic in the morning. I start work at 9h (office work) and my brain is in a blur, I lack motivation, and I have a hard time putting my head into things.

At around 2h30-3 pm though I am on fire ! This is when I am the most productive! and I would take on any challenge. It's a great feeling but I need it to kick in at 9h am, not 3 pm.

Thanks!

• Like 1

I don't go by the old guideline of 8 hours being enough.

Sure you'll be able to get up and go to work, but you won't be at your best.

9 - 10 hours is better.

I've tested 9 - 10 with myself and 8 other people, and everybody reported that they felt better on 9 -10 than 8.

Take care.

• Like 3
RecentChange

I think the amount of sleep each person needs varies. I wake up ready to go, bright, and full of energy on 6 hours a night (and have go go days which are often 16 hours away from home doing stuff).

10 hours sleep? I am more likely to be groggy.

What is your diet and exercise routine like? Caffeine intake? Sleeping routine?

I also think some people are "morning people" and others are not!

• Like 3

I find that i'm more "productive" in the winter time. I find myself waking up at 5am to go to the gym during the winter where as in the summer I have a hard time waking up. It should be the other way around but that's simply how my body functions so I take advantage of the cold weather to get ripped and hibernate during the summer.

• Like 1
  • Author
I think the amount of sleep each person needs varies. I wake up ready to go, bright, and full of energy on 6 hours a night (and have go go days which are often 16 hours away from home doing stuff).

10 hours sleep? I am more likely to be groggy.

What is your diet and exercise routine like? Caffeine intake? Sleeping routine?

I also think some people are "morning people" and others are not!

I get up at 5h30 am so to get 10 hours a sleep I would have to get to bed at 19h30, I get home from work at 18h. That would make a boring life.

I eat pretty healthy, don't smoke, I drink 1 coffee a day and I can go weeks without coffee no problem. I sleep like a rock! When I get to bed there is no delay to fall asleep, I pass out till my alarm rings in the morning.

I used to jog and hike on daily basis but when I met my boyfriend 9 months ago that all went out the window. You're gonna tell me that's it, right !

• Like 2
I don't go by the old guideline of 8 hours being enough.

Sure you'll be able to get up and go to work, but you won't be at your best.

9 - 10 hours is better.

I've tested 9 - 10 with myself and 8 other people, and everybody reported that they felt better on 9 -10 than 8.

Take care.

OMG ....I would luuurv to sleep 10 hours a day. And have sex for 6 hours, and then do all that other niggly life stuff like work in the remaining 8 hours. Unfortunately that plan never seems to work out. ;)

I do sometimes sleep 9-10 hours on weekends.

G, I'm not much of a morning person either, no matter how much sleep I get, so I think it's more a matter of just being a certain type as long as you've eliminated any obvs health type possibilities.

Don't suppose it's possible to work afternoons?

• Like 3
  • Author

Don't suppose it's possible to work afternoons?

You mean like 3 pm to 10 pm type of thing? No, I do office 9-5, and it's the schedule I want. If I worked late I'd miss on time with family and BF.

• Like 1

I was going to suggest to drink more coffee but in the end it becomes just another addiction. Personally, I need 3/4 mugs of strong coffee to get on with my day. If I didn't I would spend my morning punching people. Or just being super irritable.

Vitamins in the morning is sane? Orange juice ? Fruits ?

I sleep 6-7 hours on weeknight and 8-9 on weekends nights.

Sleep is probably the key to your problem. Is it a good, relaxing sleep? Do you wake up at night?

Sleeping 8 hours straight should be enough.. it's a bit strange you have a hard time to kick your day off.

• Like 1

I suppose I'm lucky in that I'm not locked into a work routine. My time is my own. I generally go to bed about 11pm, and get up at about 9am. I'll have a nap between 3 and 4,30 in the afternoon, if I feel like it, which is about 3 times a week.

When I'm not sleeping I'm busy and productive!

I use an activity tracker on my watch, to make sure that I get enough activity and exercise. It's quite funny, because the watch nags me when it thinks I've been inactive for too long.

My work is creative, so I need to make sure that I get enough 'fuzzy and daydream time' in. Some of my best work comes out of daydreams.

• Like 2
I suppose I'm lucky in that I'm not locked into a work routine. My time is my own. I generally go to bed about 11pm, and get up at about 9am. I'll have a nap between 3 and 4,30 in the afternoon, if I feel like it, which is about 3 times a week.

I wish i was you. ;)

• Like 1

Even though I get up at 6:00am during the work week, I don't go to sleep until after 10pm, unless I'm extremely tired. Checking my phone at this hour (10pm), doesn't help. Blah.

carb hangover ???

I exist on 5-5.5 hours of sleep each day and if I sleep in on the weekends I feel groggy if I sleep more than 7-8...

I will get sleepy of I eat lots of carbs at lunch, if I keep it light on carbs I don't get the hangover..

Until my mid 40's I never felt a carb hangover before and could eat anything at anytime of the day.. now it's something I have to watch..

RecentChange

I used to jog and hike on daily basis but when I met my boyfriend 9 months ago that all went out the window. You're gonna tell me that's it, right !

Well, lack of exercise could very well be part of it. I have more energy when I am on an exercise schedule.

Have you EVER been bright and energetic in the morning? Or is this a change you have noticed?

Do you eat any breakfast? I agree with another poster that I really try to limit carbs.

Sounds like my schedule is close to yours - this is a typical week day for me:

5:30 am - wake up - out of the house by 6:15.

6:30-7:45 - Commute (train) - I can "nap" (close eyes / relax, I never loose consciousness) for part of it, or work - or futs around here :)

7:45 am to 5 pm - Work (office /cerebral stuff)

9 am - light breakfast, apple + low sugar yogurt, or eggs (something with protein)

Noon - run 3 miles, then have a light lunch (usually riceless sushi)

5pm - 6:30 - commute again - more work or chat/ listen to music.

6:30 -8:30pm - out at the stables, riding + physical chores (more exercise)

8:30-9:30 - get home + cook and eat dinner.

11:30-midnight - get to bed for round two!

weekdays -I run 5, ride 3. One day a week I often end up out on the town till quite late! Weekends, Fri or Sat generally out till 2 am, and sleep in the next day (get around 8 hours sleep).

For me, when I am really low on sleep (like 3 hours) I don't feel it till the afternoon.

DramaInPajamas
Even though I sleep my 7-8 hours each night it takes me forever to get energetic in the morning. I start work at 9h (office work) and my brain is in a blur, I lack motivation, and I have a hard time putting my head into things.

At around 2h30-3 pm though I am on fire ! This is when I am the most productive! and I would take on any challenge. It's a great feeling but I need it to kick in at 9h am, not 3 pm.

Thanks!

Have you always been like this?

I have never been a morning person and have always felt sluggish and slow. By mid morning I am ok. I get a slump again after lunch and then wake up in the late afternoon / evening.

It could just be the way you are wired. One of my relatives is up and ready to go at 6am but they are asleep by 9pm every night on the couch. I would rather be a night owl.

A decent breakfast gets me firing on all cylinders.

The one I'm loving at the moment is:

200g of lean Rump Steak [YaY for George Foreman]

On 1 round of Wholegrain Toast

With a boiled or poached egg on top

Covered with 200g of baked beans in tomato sauce

The Worlds a better place when you're on the outside of a steak.

• Author
A decent breakfast gets me firing on all cylinders.

The one I'm loving at the moment is:

200g of lean Rump Steak [YaY for George Foreman]

On 1 round of Wholegrain Toast

With a boiled or poached egg on top

Covered with 200g of baked beans in tomato sauce

The Worlds a better place when you're on the outside of a steak.

I'd weigh 300-lbs if I had that for breakfast each morning lol

• Like 1
  • Author
Have you always been like this?

I have never been a morning person and have always felt sluggish and slow. By mid morning I am ok. I get a slump again after lunch and then wake up in the late afternoon / evening.

It could just be the way you are wired. One of my relatives is up and ready to go at 6am but they are asleep by 9pm every night on the couch. I would rather be a night owl.

Not at all, I have always been an early riser.

I have been feeling better and with more energy lately.

Since I turned 50 I can feel a big change in my body. I need longer to recuperate and I am easily affected by a random late night. Sucks!