LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Physical Fitness, Health & Weight Management

"Men" are weaker nowadays...

Physical Fitness, Health & Weight Management Staying fit and physically healthy is essential! Remember, we aren't subsitutes for your physician! As always, talk to your doctor before following any suggestions or advice!

Like Tree50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th August 2016, 10:15 PM   #1
Established Member

Thumbs down "Men" are weaker nowadays...

Yep, I'm not surprised. I've posted several times of my disappointment in the "males" out there now a days, who can barely do handiwork, landscaping, etc.

http://http://www.menshealth.com.au/article/fitness/grip-strength-weaker-today

While I think the changes in labor have to do with it, still, people - men and women alike - are too lazy to get physical and workout to make up for us not having labor intensive jobs and/or need to work the land/farming.

Lazy and weak is what we have now a days

I was watching the Spartan competitions on NBC and a family of farmers, with pops having broken leg drama and mom being 50s, were able to run the course like wow...goes to show how physical activity is necessary for vitality.
Gloria25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2016, 10:44 PM   #2
Established Member

Absolutely....

Let me say this...

In the 80s when I was a kid, I belonged to a gym where, if you didn't have a 315 lb bench press.you didn't set foot in the place..Same for squats ...If you didn't squat 405, you were not really considered "strong"

I belong to 2 separate gyms...At almost 52, I am one of the strongest guys in either place..The other stronger guys are actually older guys like me...I mean, I still go very heavy, but am careful not to sustain injury...

I tell this story to younger guys, they don't believe it, bit its 100% true...

When I was a kid and working out at home, I had a bench setup with 250#..My uncle was visiting and he decided to poke fun at me and tell me I wasn't about shyt. Well, he proceeded to get under that 250 and banged out like 5 or 6 clean reps!! Now mind you, this guy was strong, but didn't train in a gym and prob hadn't lifted weights for years...he was in his early 60's at the time, smoked like crazy and had a gut...You get the picture...But with what he was able to do, he could have walked into either gym I go to and embarrassed most of the 20 somethings there..Almost none can even do 250..

I know evolutionary changes take a long time and many generations, but it sure seems like guys got smaller/weaker very fast..

The other thing I have noticed is most guys actually are ectomorphs..Some endomorphs, but very rare are mesomorphs..>As a mesomorph myself, we have almost become extinct...

Don't really know..its a mystery I guess..

TFY.
Old 11th August 2016, 11:23 PM   #3
Established Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma32 View Post
Society as a whole is going downhill physically, not just men.
Yes, I do dips daily and pull-ups several times in the week, but am slacking with the push-ups. I'm smacking myself as we speak.

Last edited by LoveShack.org Moderator; 15th August 2016 at 7:07 AM..
Old 11th August 2016, 11:26 PM   #4
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefooloftheyear View Post
Absolutely....

Let me say this...

In the 80s when I was a kid, I belonged to a gym where, if you didn't have a 315 lb bench press.you didn't set foot in the place..Same for squats ...If you didn't squat 405, you were not really considered "strong"

I belong to 2 separate gyms...At almost 52, I am one of the strongest guys in either place..The other stronger guys are actually older guys like me...I mean, I still go very heavy, but am careful not to sustain injury...

I tell this story to younger guys, they don't believe it, bit its 100% true...

When I was a kid and working out at home, I had a bench setup with 250#..My uncle was visiting and he decided to poke fun at me and tell me I wasn't about shyt. Well, he proceeded to get under that 250 and banged out like 5 or 6 clean reps!! Now mind you, this guy was strong, but didn't train in a gym and prob hadn't lifted weights for years...he was in his early 60's at the time, smoked like crazy and had a gut...You get the picture...But with what he was able to do, he could have walked into either gym I go to and embarrassed most of the 20 somethings there..Almost none can even do 250..

I know evolutionary changes take a long time and many generations, but it sure seems like guys got smaller/weaker very fast..

The other thing I have noticed is most guys actually are ectomorphs..Some endomorphs, but very rare are mesomorphs..>As a mesomorph myself, we have almost become extinct...

Don't really know..its a mystery I guess..

TFY.
And "evolution" is my fear. Saw a 60 Minutes about a girl who mountain climbed from youth and her hands/fingers literally changed cuz of the climbing...

So I'm not looking forward to the "devolution" of men into girls or guts with toes
Old 11th August 2016, 11:42 PM   #5
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria25 View Post
Yes, I do dips daily and pull-ups several times in the week, but am slacking with the push-ups. I'm smacking myself as we speak.
I am slacking lately, period. Been working crazy hours and spending time with a lady friend after work. Very little gym time. I am getting weaker and fatter every day
enigma32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2016, 11:46 PM   #6
Established Member

I agree too.

Like in some not-so-old movie from some time back.. I was amused at a maths professor telling the gym coach in school : "Nowadays we need brains, not muscle".

Thing is, I dont know if we are actually really becoming smarter. We are weaker, lazier, probably fatter too.

The hard labor has been replaced by machines. Every of our movement is a lot easier than a hundred years ago. Want to hear the story of my great grandma? Oh, walking to the next town is quick.. It's near by! Yes, barely 5 miles.. Who walks 5 miles these days to visit someone from the next town.

Maybe we are making generalizations. I know a couple early 20s hard worker guys and gals.. At least in their professions.

Maybe the man is something that shall be overcome.. As some notorious philosopher once wrote.

Last edited by Shanex; 11th August 2016 at 11:48 PM..
Shanex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2016, 1:22 PM   #7
Established Member

I guess it all boils down to working smarter not harder. I do believe in women's equal rights so I wouldn't mind my future woman taking out the trash, cutting the grass, moving furniture around just like I would. It's actually very sexy and a turn on.
JDPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2016, 1:41 PM   #8
Established Member

It does not only apply just to men but to women as well. It depends of your background. More and more people are born in cities so nothing is passed down anymore.

I was born and raised on a dairy farm. We are 1 girl and 3 boys. We are all very handy. All of my brothers can fix a car, put hardwood floors down, fix plumbing, etc. I cook, bake, sew, knit, I can fix anything in a home or yard. I did everything in my home from curtains to cushions to bedding, name it. None of my city friends know how to sew a button.
Old 13th August 2016, 2:11 PM   #9
Established Member

I agree regarding the back ground part.

I had a unique mix because I went to school "in the city" an hour away from where I lived - which was in the country, little town of 500 out in the mountains.

Us kids out there were active, strong and independent. Kids worked on their family ranch, played outside, swam in rivers, hauled logs to build forts, I was riding and training horses from a young age. I tell ya wrestling with a rank colt can really build some core strength.

Despite never "working out" I was as strong as guys on the football team - I used to love to challenge a jock to an arm wrestle.

And people from that area are still much the same today. We joke about being "country strong". A life that is closely tied to the outdoors is active and builds strength.

Hell, just last week two guys were struggling trying to move a copy machine in my office. I told them to step aside and moved it while wearing heels hahahaha.
RecentChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2016, 2:49 PM   #10
Established Member

There is sth odd about being able to overpower or 'beat up' some guys ....more than really should be accounted for. I get the impression there's a psych element involved too, like pain threshold/tolerance and that sort of thing.

It'd be interesting if it really was evolutionary but I kinda doubt that. More likely just being a product of the times IMO. (But then maybe that is evolution.)
jen1447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2016, 6:24 PM   #11

Actually I think there are two trends in today's society. Though people's average strength and fitness is going down, there are also more people than ever working out, going for the "six pack" and so on.

I mean if you compare the typical attractive man during the 1960's and now, today's ideal for men is much more muscular. So I would say that the gap between those who do work out and those who don't is much wider today than it was before.
indeed7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2016, 12:53 AM   #12
Established Member

I lived with a few roommates in college that were juice heads. They were massive guys, but some of the most vein and insecure people I have ever met in my life. One of the guys openly admitted he was doing massive amounts of roids and jacking up his endocrine system just for some extra beach muscles, but the other one kept wanting to say he is " all natural " just to make himself look more tough. They spent more time in the mirror than any women I have met. The point is that there are so many men out there that try to look the part, but it's all a massive facade. They were not even training for a purpose, but more or less so they could post selfies and look good. Women in men's bodies.
Mysteryman9110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2016, 1:01 AM   #13
Established Member

I think there was a better balance in the past, whereas nowadays people are split into two extreme camps. Previously people did do more manual labour and processed food didn't exist to such an extent, so obesity was uncommon. But there also wasn't such a 'body sculpting fad' (barring oddities like the corsets in the Victorian era of Western cultures) and people typically did not have the time to spend hours a day just to 'look good' - so the bodies of today's male/female fitness models were very unusual also.
Old 15th August 2016, 1:36 AM   #14
Established Member

I think ideals have changed, and I think the purpose of fitness has changed. And not just for men either.

As another poster mentioned, the "ideal man" of today looks more muscular than the decades ago. But what are those muscles actually used for? I see guys who lift and work out to look good, but beyond that do they do any REAL work? I have a good friend who works on his land in the country. He's not the "ideal" and never really was. No six-pack there. But he's outdoors working every day, slinging sacks of feed, fixing stuff, and just generally being manly. As a teenager when we were together, he could certainly hold his own in a fight and I'm sure he still can. So I think health and fitness ought to be defined more about capability and less about looks.

Overall, I think both men and women have less capability than they did years ago. We have a sedentary lifestyle, and with our processed diet it seems to take more work to stay fit than it used to. I know my GF's work out at least an hour a day every day to stay thin. I can't do this due to my work schedule and energy level, and so I'm not at my best.
major_merrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2016, 1:38 AM   #15
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanex View Post
Maybe we are making generalizations.
Hmmmm, you think?

My parents encouraged me to strengthen the nerve in my head and not the muscles in my arms used to do b*tch labor. My grandfather would roll over in his grave if he heard me complaining that I'd rather go back to busting my ass in the field. He'd feel like a failure. Didn't your parents encourage you all to try to work smarter not harder? What did they work so hard to send you to college for?