Benefits to Going Dairy Free?

Over the past several months, I've completely overhauled my diet. I've made a big push to cut out refined sugars, and, as far as meat, I only eat chicken and fish. I try to eat salmon 2-3 times a week because I've read so much about the health benefits of Omega 3. I'm trying to eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables.

I've bought several vegan cookbooks and have had some hits and misses. Overall, the recipes have given me a good starting point to get more vegetables in my diet. However, when it comes to cutting out dairy, I'm kind of confused. I've gotten rid of all processed cheese, but I occasionally use a sprinkle of fresh parmesan on my pasta. I am now drinking unsweetened almond milk instead of regular milk. I've been trying to make sure I get alternative sources of calcium (chia seeds, salmon, kale, the almond milk does have some calcium).

My questions are: what are the actual benefits of going dairy free? Is it okay to have a little dairy, as longs as it's not fatty cheeses and kept to a minimum? What about yogurt? I've stopped eating yogurt because I can't find any without processed sugar? I do love yogurt though. I'd love to hear of any personal experiences.

• Like 1

I could never give up dairy, I love it too much! And as far as health benefits of NOT giving it up, milk especially helps regulate & balance my digestive system, which rebels when I don't drink it for a few days. And my fingernails and toenails look fabulous for my age!! :D I did switch to organic low-fat milk a few years ago.

I know some people are lactose intolerant (not sure of percentage of the population) - but other than that, what is it about dairy that you believe is unhealthy?

• Like 1
RecentChange

If you arent lactose intolerant, I am not sure what the benefits of going dairy free would be. I do not think a little hard cheese grated over a meal will do any harm!

In my house we use unsweetened almond/coconut blend for "milk".

Greek yogurt, easy to find plain versions which do not have any sweetener added. Excellent source of protein and beneficial probiotics. Add a little fresh fruit or honey if you like a sweet yogurt. If you like savoury, adding fresh mint, cucumber, salt and pepper is a refreshing snack.

• Like 2
If you arent lactose intolerant, I am not sure what the benefits of going dairy free would be.

Haha, we were thinking the same thing at the same time!

RecentChange

Also, avoid low fat and no fat dairy products. They tend to have more sugar in them, and fat actually plays an important part of a healthy diet.

I have Greek yogurt about every day (even during my weight loss), cheese is enjoyed in moderation.

• Like 3
  • Author
Also, avoid low fat and no fat dairy products. They tend to have more sugar in them, and fat actually plays an important part of a healthy diet.

I have Greek yogurt about every day (even during my weight loss), cheese is enjoyed in moderation.

Are there any brands of Greek yogurt that you recommend? Any brand with no refined sugar.

• Like 1
  • Author
but other than that, what is it about dairy that you believe is unhealthy?

That's the thing. I don't really know. I've googled some stuff, and it doesn't seem to be so bad. I feel like the biggest hurdle for me is giving up refined sugar. That has been difficult and a real eye opener to what I was actually eating.

Save

I was supposed to stop eating dairy products, as well, and cut out the refined sugar, but I love cheese (in small amounts), and milk in my tea.

Kimberly Snyder has some nice recipes. It's been a while since I've made anything of hers, aside from the red cabbage slaw (3 cups of chopped red cabbage, mixed into 2 tbsps of apple cider vinegar, 1 tbsp of tahini, 1 tsp of low-sodium tamari, and 1-1/2 tbsp of nutritional yeast). Tahini is creamy, but can also be fattening.

Against All Grain author Danielle Walker, has a recipe for a milk replacement that's non-dairy. I haven't found anything that replaced real milk for me, but I made that one with cashew milk instead of almond milk, and it wasn't bad.

I haven't experienced the benefits, since I haven't managed to avoid it for more than a week. I know someone who has cut it out again, because she gets hives, and has another not-so-nice response to dairy, and things like pasta.

• Like 2

Oh, I also saw a post from a woman in a facebook group, who said that once she started making her own yogurt, she stopped having problems with it.

• Like 1
RecentChange
Are there any brands of Greek yogurt that you recommend? Any brand with no refined sugar.

Buy PLAIN yogurt. litterly the ingredients should be cultures milk, probiotics. No sugar. No flavorings.

I like Fage brand, as I enjoy it's extra thick texture.

Oh, I also saw a post from a woman in a facebook group, who said that once she started making her own yogurt, she stopped having problems with it.

What problems was she having with yogurt? Do you have problems with yogurt?

• Like 1
Buy PLAIN yogurt. litterly the ingredients should be cultures milk, probiotics. No sugar. No flavorings.

What problems was she having with yogurt? Do you have problems with yogurt?

I do. I can occasionally eat it (I love Noosa yogurt), and was fine for several years, but I've had problems with milk all my life - at least in milkshakes. I have problems with almost everything now (bad stomach condition), so it's hit or miss with most things. I tried a juice cleanse last year, and the only thing that bothered me was a juice blended with yogurt.

I'm going to have another go at making my own, but I have to get through something else first.

Brands vary. But here in Australia, Greek yogurt has no sugar unless it's advertised as sweetened or flavoured. 'Traditional' yogurt is also worth looking at. Much the same as Greek - but the texture is a little less creamy.

Just read the ingredients on the container to make sure it doesn't have sugar

• Like 2

I know some people are lactose intolerant (not sure of percentage of the population) - but other than that, what is it about dairy that you believe is unhealthy?

Most diary products don't even have lactose. It's mostly just milk itself. The process they go through to become cheese or butter, etc, makes most of the lactose disappear, so unless you have a SEVERE case of lactose intolerance, eating most diary should be fine.

• Like 1

There are no benefits unless you have lactose intolerance, really. Dairy is actually a pretty good source of protein and nutrients, and fairly healthy if taken in moderation. Of course, don't put half a block of butter in your cooking like the commercial chefs do... :p

Most diary products don't even have lactose. It's mostly just milk itself. The process they go through to become cheese or butter, etc, makes most of the lactose disappear, so unless you have a SEVERE case of lactose intolerance, eating most diary should be fine.

I know quite a few people who had to avoid cheese, otherwise they'd be visiting the toilet in no time... :laugh:

• Like 1

I am lactose intolerant and use lactose free milk, cheese, cream, butter. Great for calcium intake, would be hard to replace!

• Like 1
  • Author

I'm going to look for this brand today.

• Like 1
TheFinalWord
Over the past several months, I've completely overhauled my diet. I've made a big push to cut out refined sugars, and, as far as meat, I only eat chicken and fish. I try to eat salmon 2-3 times a week because I've read so much about the health benefits of Omega 3. I'm trying to eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables.

I've bought several vegan cookbooks and have had some hits and misses. Overall, the recipes have given me a good starting point to get more vegetables in my diet. However, when it comes to cutting out dairy, I'm kind of confused. I've gotten rid of all processed cheese, but I occasionally use a sprinkle of fresh parmesan on my pasta. I am now drinking unsweetened almond milk instead of regular milk. I've been trying to make sure I get alternative sources of calcium (chia seeds, salmon, kale, the almond milk does have some calcium).

My questions are: what are the actual benefits of going dairy free? Is it okay to have a little dairy, as longs as it's not fatty cheeses and kept to a minimum? What about yogurt? I've stopped eating yogurt because I can't find any without processed sugar? I do love yogurt though. I'd love to hear of any personal experiences.

I've basically had to give up all dairy. Like you, cheese is the hardest part to me. lol I also like protein shakes, but I use the lactose free ones now.

I think the main advantage is less calories. I love milk, but it's easy to drink a few hundred calories in no time flat lol

The main disadvantage is ensuring you get enough calcium.

• Like 1
blackcat777

I always thought I was lactose intolerant... used to get pains from eating dairy and had horrible acne on my back.

I went vegan and felt better... skin looked better... Seven years later I crashed and my hormones were completely whacked from the long term effects of a vegan diet... no cholesterol.

Now I do grassfed dairy ONLY. and feel great. No digestive problems, no acne, no hormonal problems, the best of both worlds.

The animals are happier. I am happier. Toxins store in fat and accumulate as you move up the food chain, so if you're eating fatty animal products, I think there's a lot of sense in trying to source the cleanest food possible.

Raw yogurt is the best thing on the planet if you can find some... Life without butter feels like starvation. The body has some great uses for saturated fat. Grassfed animal products have more omega 3s than conventional and are a great source of CLA, too.

Edited by blackcat777
  • Like 2
I've basically had to give up all dairy. Like you, cheese is the hardest part to me. lol I also like protein shakes, but I use the lactose free ones now.

I think the main advantage is less calories. I love milk, but it's easy to drink a few hundred calories in no time flat lol

The main disadvantage is ensuring you get enough calcium.

You need calories in your diet, a pint of semi-skimmed milk only has 260, less than a small chocolate bar. It lowers the risk of heart disease, contains about 6 different types of vitamins including D and lots of nutrients. It's a real shame that so much misinformation is out there about it.