I just realized that I am not able to digest these caps.

They do not break open in my stomach and I excrete them completely whole.....

So now I break open before swallowing, but has anyone else experienced this?

Do I have a digestion problem??

Sometimes I wake up nauseous and feel like vomiting and sometimes do!

No I am not pregnant , and am otherwise very healthy and feel great......

I have seen doctors and they say the reason I feel nauseous is because I have a "nervous stomach".... as I am very prone to anxiety and sensitive to stress.

But now with the inability to digest the caps, wondering if it's something else...

• Like 1

What is being described is standard side effects. Belching, bloating, rash, upset stomach.

Speak with your pharmacist on alternative ways to get this nutrient. They might have some other natural supplements to counter act this.

• Like 2
  • Author
What is being described is standard side effects. Belching, bloating, rash, upset stomach.

Speak with your pharmacist on alternative ways to get this nutrient. They might have some other natural supplements to counter act this.

Thanks Tayla, that makes me feel better. :)

It would be nice if it came in liquid form.

Flaxseed oil does....

• Like 1
  • Author

By the way, I have been feeling nauseous on occasion for years way before I started taking the fish oil.

My main concern was not being able to digest the caps......

• Like 1
Thanks Tayla, that makes me feel better. :)

It would be nice if it came in liquid form.

Flaxseed oil does....

I take a blend of vegetable oils which are rich in omega 3,6,9.

It comes as a liquid, so you can dress salads with it, etc. Tastes good.

If you ask at your local health food shop, they'll advise you. (I don't want to mention a commercial product here.)

I don't take fish oil capsules as I'm a vegetarian.

The capsule shells are often made from beed gelatine, so it's a double no no for me.

• Like 2
By the way, I have been feeling nauseous on occasion for years way before I started taking the fish oil.

My main concern was not being able to digest the caps......

maybe you can eat some salmon once or twice a week

• Like 2

The capsule shells are often made from beed gelatine, so it's a double no no for me.

That was meant to say 'beef.'

• Author
maybe you can eat some salmon once or twice a week

Oh I do, poached with a cream mustard sauce... yum!

Should I not do both? Is that too much?

• Like 1
  • Author
That was meant to say 'beef.'

Tnx! So it's the beef gelatine I can't digest, I figured it had something to do with the actual caps... and not what was inside.

• Like 1
Oh I do, poached with a cream mustard sauce... yum!

mmm yummy!

Should I not do both? Is that too much?

you should talk with a pharmacist or nutritionist

• Like 1

There is no harm in eating salmon and taking fish oil supplements.

I would try a fish oil supplement that does not come in a capsule form. I was taking one years ago that was delicious. Liquid. No taste of fish at all. Put it in a spoon and done.

The quality of the gel cap is also important. Keep in mind, medication that comes in gel caps actually deliver and break down rapidly to deliver the substance. Not sure what brand you take, that could be one reason.

Vegan gelatin capsules will NOT break down faster than a animal based gelatin capsule. The vegan capsule is made from cellulose which is a plant fiber. Look at what yours is made from.

Another reason could be you may have digestion problems. digestive enzymes and probiotics can help with that. when I was bodybuilding I would take papaya enzyme chews from GNC. It helped digesting all tht food I was eating. I also eat a lot of yogurt. Like 2 or 3 a day. Greek yogurt that is.

• Like 4

I definitely notice a difference from omega 3,6,9.

My joints are happier, and my concentration is better.

I've decided to just carry on taking them indefinitely.

losangelena

Well, you don't need to take fish oil to get omega 3s. They're in things like chia seeds and flax. Also, I've heard before that they're really only necessary in supplement form if your triglycerides are high.

Here's what Harvard has to say about them: Fish oil: friend or foe? - Harvard Health Blog - Harvard Health Publications

• Like 2
RecentChange

Why not just eat a natural source of fish oil?

I eat salmon many times a week, and really enjoy canned sardines, herring etc. Smoked herring is delicious!

And fresh herring or sardines on the grill is a real treat .

Excellent source of protein, and nutrients beyond the omegas.

• Author
Why not just eat a natural source of fish oil?

I eat salmon many times a week, and really enjoy canned sardines, herring etc. Smoked herring is delicious!

And fresh herring or sardines on the grill is a real treat .

Excellent source of protein, and nutrients beyond the omegas.

I do, post no. 8. Herring too, love it pickled! :)

Well, you don't need to take fish oil to get omega 3s. They're in things like chia seeds and flax. Also, I've heard before that they're really only necessary in supplement form if your triglycerides are high.

Here's what Harvard has to say about them: Fish oil: friend or foe? - Harvard Health Blog - Harvard Health Publications

The article states that fish oil does not help prevent heart attacks, strokes etc. Yet, doctors, who would rather prescribe you medicine than vitamins to make money, are telling there patience to take fish oil to lower blood triglyceride levels. It even states it in that article. so technically, it does sort of help and protect your heart.

In order to get the same beneifts from the flax seeds, you would have to take double the amount to reach the health potentials of taking fish oil.

flax seeds contains ALA. very good. matter of fact it was a fat loss fad back in the day when I was a manager for GNC. The conversion process isn't that great. ala to omegas in the body. Its like saying beta carotene has the same powerful benefits as regular vitamin A.

Taking both is fantastic. Potency wise? fish oil > flax seed all day long. sorry

I also eat a lot of yogurt. Like 2 or 3 a day. Greek yogurt that is.

I love yogurt

I think they have a prescription version that doesn't have all these side effects so talk to your doctor.

I have tried very hard to take fish oil but even trying several varieties and things like refrigeration and freezing leave me with burps and indigestion.

Going to try an alternative using Algae as the basis for DHA and Omega 3/6's

Mrs. John Adams
I have tried very hard to take fish oil but even trying several varieties and things like refrigeration and freezing leave me with burps and indigestion.

Going to try an alternative using Algae as the basis for DHA and Omega 3/6's

We use omega red....easier to digest...no burping

They cost more but so worth it.

RecentChange
I do, post no. 8. Herring too, love it pickled! :)

Yes, but how often do you consume fish? Once a week? Six times a week?

Pickled herring is a tasty snack (love it) but it is higher in nitrates then I would want to eat on a very regular basis.

The fish vs. fish oil smackdown

As I mentioned there are benefits of eating whole fish over the caps, and studies have shown it results in better absorption.

Any way, if you like this sort of thing (canned fish) - I recommend adding them your regular diet. I buy a variety of brands and flavors, and enjoy them straight from the can for a quick and healthy snack (also good on salads, crusty bread etc).

This week I tried sardines in a light soy sauce (a japanese brand) delicious! Can't wait to try the miso herring I also picked up.

Appel brand smoked herring is wonderful - I you have Trader Joes, their canned herring products are pretty good too.

thefooloftheyear

I take a swig from a bottle each day......"Triple strength fish oil"...Has kind of a citrusy flavor, but you can still taste the fishyness...I dont have any issue with it..

I have also eaten sardines for years....Usually 6-8 cans a week..The Season brand is the best that is currently easy to get, but there is an imported brand form Italy that is even better, but its very expensive and kind of hard to get..

TFY