caffeine addiction and withdrawal

Never thought of myself as a caffeine addict...but the other week when I asked for a coffee after dinner, a friend pounced on it with glee. "Coffee after dinner?" Yes, surely that's normal? Coffee with a mint, after dinner. Not to her. We debated it, and then she said that she thinks I'm a coffee addict. I have probably four or 5 cups of pretty strong coffee a day.

She was gleeful about it (and probably overstating the "addict" aspects) because I'm not much of a drinker - and the fact that I'll have one glass of wine to her four pisses her off a bit, even though I don't have an issue with other people drinking more than I do. I don't hate or disapprove of alcohol - I'm just not all that fussed about it, unless it's part of a delicious fruity cocktail.

Anyway, I thought about the whole caffeine addiction thing and decided to try to come off it for a bit. And ugh...I evidently am an addict. My last coffee was on Friday, with a friend at lunchtime - round about 2pmish. For most of yesterday I felt pretty bad. I went for a long dog walk, and it wiped me out whereas normally it'll just tire me out in a pleasant way. I didn't go out in the evening - and went to bed at about 9pm! I've had a persistent headache since yesterday morning, though thankfully it hasn't graduated into a migraine.

I've got a particularly busy week including travel plans ahead of me, and I'm wondering whether I should maybe leave the caffeine withdrawal thing to another time. On the other hand, if I'm through the worst of it and the symptoms pass by tomorrow then it would be a shame to undo the good work.

Anybody who's suddenly stopped a coffee habit (strong coffee - proper not instant - and full caffeine) able to comment on how long the withdrawal symptoms are likely to last for? I usually have a fair bit of energy, and I'm not liking this constant tiredness at all!

• Like 1

At times in my life I had about 5 to 10 espressos a day, during a work day. It was a mix of boredom and habit. The weekends were rough, because I didn't really have the habit of drinking coffee while NOT at work.

The headache will go away in 2 to 3 days from its start. Not sure about the energy though.

• Like 4

Anybody who's suddenly stopped a coffee habit (strong coffee - proper not instant - and full caffeine) able to comment on how long the withdrawal symptoms are likely to last for? I usually have a fair bit of energy, and I'm not liking this constant tiredness at all!

Caffeine is not actually all that habit forming, its pretty mild in the addiction stakes. I've been a heavy coffee drinker my entire life (espresso) not filter or instant. Yet I can go cold turkey for weeks at a time with zero withdrawal symptoms. I used to drink it the most when I was shift working. Since I've stopped that I haven't wanted more than the odd weekend coffee. You're more likely to get addicted to milk than actual caffeine.

A lot of those symptoms you're talking about could equally be dehydration. Most people are chronically dehydrated and their morning Joe masks the symptoms of dehydration. Try drinking some warm water in the morning and check your hydration levels with the colour of your wee.

• Like 1
  • Author

I've decided to be a bit less ambitious and switch to chai tea - alternating between green and black. That way I'll still be getting some caffeine. For 25 years I've been trying to convince myself that I actively enjoy (rather than "am able to tolerantly sip") herbal tea. Not working.

• Like 2

If you have a tough week ahead, I'd suggest tapering instead of going cold turkey. Switching to tea could work, too.

• Like 1
  • Author
If you have a tough week ahead, I'd suggest tapering instead of going cold turkey. Switching to tea could work, too.

**** it, I'm going to make myself an espresso.

• Like 8
  • Author
Maybe just stick to 2 or 3 of them today? ;)

You read my mind. I've got an espresso machine, but I use it to make Americanos. I'm halfway through one as I type, and I feel better already! It's time to face facts. Coffee is my Wilson.

• Like 1
The headache will go away in 2 to 3 days from its start. Not sure about the energy though.

Agree w/ASG on the duration - the coffe DTs are usually pretty mild really.

I really don't think coffee is a bad 'addiction' to have, apparently there's not much bad in it and there are even health benefits. I always looked at it as a little thing in the big picture that nonetheless makes life tangibly better. If I can't do sth as simple as enjoy coffee regularly, then I want out - goodbye cruel world! ;) (Do drink lots of water tho too. I usually alternate coffee and water.)

Next time your friend bugs you, ask to see her coffee cop (not cup lol) ID and tell her you won't make anymore statements w/out a lawyer present. And congratulate her on her promotion to the narcotics section. ;)

• Like 4
Art_Critic
We debated it, and then she said that she thinks I'm a coffee addict. I have probably four or 5 cups of pretty strong coffee a day.

:laugh:.....

I read the thread and laughed at the resolution too...

You could start by only drinking a cup of coffee in the morning and not drink past noon...

FYI, the withdrawal headaches are the same whether it is a one cup a day addition or 5... just man up and do the few days and after your sleep straightens out you will be fine...

I don't drink coffee anymore.. gave it up maybe 15 years ago but do drink caffeinated soft drinks everyday.. but on occasion quit for a few months but always go back for some reason, it's the only addiction I know that has no real side effects that ruin your life...

• Like 2

I still drink coffee but I need it less strong and I don't get headaches anymore. I can also go quite a while without it, I don't feel sleepy and useless if I don't drink it.

This is how: I don't have a coffee machine at home, my local coffee shop isn't great (though I got used to their espresso) and as I have been working and studying at home quite a lot for over the past year, I have started using instant. There is a brand I like (not Nescafe) that actually tastes something.

Now I find that weaker and less coffee does it for me, basically I've gradually got used to having less and less caffeine. I could probably even stop fairly soon if I wanted to - something that was inconceivable to me last year!!!

Maybe it's a coincidence that I don't have much alcohol anymore either? (I know you don't Taramere), perhaps my natural life rythm is better and doesn't depend on chemicals as much. I gave up smoking about 7 years ago.

• Like 2

It's difficult, because coffee potentially has some health benefits. Anyway, I went off a 10 coffees a day habit about two weeks ago now. I drink coffee more out of habit (maybe procrastination, maybe nervous padding of time) than enjoyment. Anyway, I switched to decaf because I am experiencing some extreme (well, to me, anyway) anxiety, and I didn't want to make it any worse than it had to be. Amazingly, I have only had two small headaches in the past two weeks (first one after three days), which could be the normal pattern for me. (I use acetaminophen/aspirin/caffeine for headache tablets, but I have only taken them twice--once for each headache.)

But then the anxiety may have me pumped full of adrenaline, so I might be the worst test case imaginable.

If I didn't have the anxiety, I would still be drinking the coffee. I don't see the problem. Is there really any concrete (or otherwise) evidence that it's bad for you, or do you just want to sample life in the alternate universe?

• Like 2

OK--so the "evidence" is that one feels bad after going cold turkey? So therefore one is dependent? An extreme view might be that we're dependent on food, and even a change of diet could mean the body has to adapt. Not sure I'm convinced by this train of thought.

• Like 1
  • Author
If I didn't have the anxiety, I would still be drinking the coffee. I don't see the problem. Is there really any concrete (or otherwise) evidence that it's bad for you, or do you just want to sample life in the alternate universe?

I can get jittery in court, and I don't think coffee helps. I'm always reminded, on those days, of Nice Guy Eddie telling Mr Pink that the last thing he needs is another cup of coffee.

The main thing is that I can be prone to migraines. Received wisdom seems to say that coffee can help with an imminent migraine (ie helps body absorb painkillers faster) but that in the longer term it contributes to them. I've been reading up on some of the health benefits though, and on balance I reckon so long as I can restrict it to two or three cups a day my life will be better with than without coffee.

• Like 4
RedPurpleOrange

I never really thought caffeine was too addictive until last year when I tried to quit. It's definitely NOT like nicotine withdrawal but I noticed marked effects like jitters and strange headaches for about a week. I was averaging about ten double-bag cups of tea and two large Americanos per day.

Didn't last long, though. I could never give up the odd large Americano. Amphetamine in a brown paper cup. ;D

• Like 4

I have one really good coffee in the morning, and wouldn't even consider giving it up.

The rest of the time it's water and juices.

• Like 4
RedPurpleOrange

Yeah, I was having two large Americanos per day and it started to mess up my stomach. It was costing me a fiver a day and my appetite. So I stopped.

Now I'll take that brown bomber at only the right moment. Probably have about 1-2 every fortnight. It hits harder and sweeter that way and I value its power that much more. Could never give up that crazy jolt.

amaysngrace

Swith to organic coffee because you may be having a reaction to pesticides.

Fair trade organic is best because you can really enjoy drinking it.

amaysngrace
OK--so the "evidence" is that one feels bad after going cold turkey? So therefore one is dependent? An extreme view might be that we're dependent on food, and even a change of diet could mean the body has to adapt. Not sure I'm convinced by this train of thought.

Eating carbs triggers the same part of the brain that addictive drugs do. It's been proven.

This Is Your Brain on Food: Addicted to Carbs - Addiction Center - EverydayHealth.com

RedPurpleOrange
Swith to organic coffee because you may be having a reaction to pesticides.

Fair trade organic is best because you can really enjoy drinking it.

I tend to get a Costa coffee because Starbucks is too 'soft' and the Costa has more 'zing'. I have no clue if it's organic, nor do I know if you have Costa coffee shops in the USA?

I find too much coffee in general tends to mess around with my guts. It's known to be a gastric irritant, I think?

• Like 1
amaysngrace
I tend to get a Costa coffee because Starbucks is too 'soft' and the Costa has more 'zing'. I have no clue if it's organic, nor do I know if you have Costa coffee shops in the USA?

I find too much coffee in general tends to mess around with my guts. It's known to be a gastric irritant, I think?

I buy from Organic Coffee Co and it's definitely stronger than our mainstream regular coffees here. I don't know if we have Costa or not because I've never seen it but that doesn't mean we don't have them.

And Yes....Coffee can give you stomach ulcers I think. :(

• Like 1
RedPurpleOrange

In the UK, we tend to have three main coffee chains - Starbucks, Costa and Caffé Nero. We tend to more be tea-drinkers over here so there's less choice. If someone wants a coffee, they might use McDonalds or Burger King but it's sad there's so little choice. Starbucks is my least fave out of the three 'mains'. The coffee is nice but quite boring.

And when I was on the two large Americanos (for the best part of two years!) I used to get extreme nausea and bile-y feelings in my throat and tended not to be able to finish my meals. Got super-skinny as a result but have bulked back out now.

• Like 1

I was supposed to stop drinking my black tea, and the author of the book The Elimination Diet, suggested White tea, if you really need a bit of caffeine.

Sitting here with my second cup of tea before having my morning shower....I think your friend was rude.

• Like 4