Hi everyone,

So I just had a cystoscopy done this morning as per my stupid request, doctor said he didn't think I need it but I insisted so ofcourse (BAD BAD IDEA).

Well while the procedure was short and painful now im dealing with the aftermath. Urinating is a nightmare and it hurts like hell. I was given some medication for the burning but the pain while urinating is unbearable. I CAN'T take it. I regret so much pushing for this because im perfectly fine. The doctor insisted that this was not necessary. Anyhow, im in so much pain when I go to the bathroom that I want to pull my hairs out.

Has anyone had this done before? What is the recovery time?

I was told I should be better by tomorrow but tomorrow is SO FAR away. It's been a few hours and Im in so much pain and im at work.

HELPPPPP.

Thanks

losangelena

Eeesh! Sorry you're in so much pain.

Why did you have the procedure done if you knew nothing was wrong?

Hang in there. Take the drugs they gave you and try and get some rest.

• Like 1

I've only had equipment up my penis once and I'm sufficiently sensitive to pain in that area that I've passed out before when passing kidney stones so, when advised there might be pain I did two things, one which I learned from the kidney stone thing. As a guy we normally stand to pee. I sat on the toilet. Not as far to fall. Second, not recommended but worked for me was taking a couple shots of vodka when I knew urination was on the menu. Yeah, it did feel like pissing barbed wire but, heh, I didn't care. This method was due to living alone and being miles from medical care so we do what we got to do and keep going.

Here's something to try, though it might seem a bit disgusting but it's not really since urine is sterile when it leaves the body. Immerse yourself in warm water in the bath tub and urinate into the water. See what happens.

• Like 1
  • Author
Eeesh! Sorry you're in so much pain.

Why did you have the procedure done if you knew nothing was wrong?

Hang in there. Take the drugs they gave you and try and get some rest.

Hi losangelena,

So I had gotten two UTI's (Urinary track infections) in a year and I told the doctor I was very concerned. Those things hurt like hell and I told the doctor that this was happening frequent. Meaning twice a year. That kind of pain makes ONE day feel like a month. The doctor told me this was not so frequent like I thought and he said this was not necessary. I kept pushing and said I wanted to know if something was wrong with me now because I was tired of getting uti's. He said, if you get another one then we will do the procedure, again I pushed until he said OKAY lets schedule you.

Well, while I pushed for this I did not do my research on this because I knew if I did, I was not going to go through it. So the procedure was painful but short. The problem is now when I have to urinate, it feels like someone is ripping me apart. Not much different kind of pain than a UTI. :(

I am taking these meds they gave me and hopefully they help.

• Author
I've only had equipment up my penis once and I'm sufficiently sensitive to pain in that area that I've passed out before when passing kidney stones so, when advised there might be pain I did two things, one which I learned from the kidney stone thing. As a guy we normally stand to pee. I sat on the toilet. Not as far to fall. Second, not recommended but worked for me was taking a couple shots of vodka when I knew urination was on the menu. Yeah, it did feel like pissing barbed wire but, heh, I didn't care. This method was due to living alone and being miles from medical care so we do what we got to do and keep going.

Here's something to try, though it might seem a bit disgusting but it's not really since urine is sterile when it leaves the body. Immerse yourself in warm water in the bath tub and urinate into the water. See what happens.

Hi Carhill,

OMG that sounds PAINFUL too. I think im going to try the whole warm water bath thing. Not sure about the alcohol because I'm scared that might make it burn even more.

Thank you for the advice. Ughh I think im leaving work soon.

losangelena
Hi losangelena,

So I had gotten two UTI's (Urinary track infections) in a year and I told the doctor I was very concerned. Those things hurt like hell and I told the doctor that this was happening frequent. Meaning twice a year. That kind of pain makes ONE day feel like a month. The doctor told me this was not so frequent like I thought and he said this was not necessary. I kept pushing and said I wanted to know if something was wrong with me now because I was tired of getting uti's. He said, if you get another one then we will do the procedure, again I pushed until he said OKAY lets schedule you.

Well, while I pushed for this I did not do my research on this because I knew if I did, I was not going to go through it. So the procedure was painful but short. The problem is now when I have to urinate, it feels like someone is ripping me apart. Not much different kind of pain than a UTI. :(

I am taking these meds they gave me and hopefully they help.

That seems like a strange reason, actually (but what do I know; I'm not a doctor).

I mean, you're young, and I don't know if you're sexually active, but I know women who get recurrent UTIs because of sex and they don't go in for cystoscopes. Two in one year sounds like a crap reason to have a test, unless your blood or urine tests are also way off. Hrm ...

Well, here's hoping you feel better soon!

• Like 2
acrosstheuniverse

I have had three done before, all under a general anaesthetic. I'd say I recovered within a week or so from each, although of course the pain urinating afterwards was beyond excruciating. Felt like urinating acid through open wounds.

I had mine done due to chronic pain in my bladder and getting UTIs every time I had sex, at one point I was getting a couple per week easily. Now I'm on permanent antibiotics, oral morphine and pregabalin for the pain, although I'm coming off the latter slowly now.

To do something like a cystoscopy for two UTIs is crazy, IMO, the procedure isn't without risks.

Also I will mention I got a UTI after each and every procedure so keep an eye out for when/if the pain becomes UTI related rather than an after effect of trauma to the area! Hugs.

• Like 1