You are having an ice cream and a DIET drink?

Eternal Sunshine

This really annoys me and is such a common misconception. I went to the movies recently with a friend and I ordered a choc top ice cream and a large coke zero. He rolled his eyes "you are eating an ice cream but the drink has to be diet???"

Ice cream has around 400-500 calories. Large regular coke has close to 400 calories. So yes, I would rather eat 500 than 900 calories. It all adds up and I get no enjoyment from a sugary drink. I would understand if regular coke had like 50 calories, then yeah what's the point (even then I could argue that I should save 50 calories where I can).

So yeah, I think it's better to eat 1 ice cream than a calorific worth of 2 :mad:

• Like 2

The problem is the name: diet soda. It implies: I'm dieting if I drink it. Dieting and ice cream don't go hand in hand.

However, dieting is not what you are doing, and ice cream can be part of a greater balanced diet.

I do feel compelled to say that artificial sweeteners are poison beyond the calorie count :o

• Like 6

Eternal, I'm right there with you.

Although I'm really limiting sweets these days, if I do have a cookie or some ice cream as a treat, there's no way I would EVER pair it with a regular soda. UGH. Once you drink diet soda (and lots of water), drinking a regular soda tastes like you're drinking syrup.

And yes it's all a math/calorie game, so diet soda is always a much better choice than regular soda, although there are studies that show diet drinks can trigger the urge to consume more food than you normally would, so I try to limit my diet soda intake to 1 12-ounce drink per day.

(I also like Bernie!)

Coke Zero I could understand, although I always add whiskey. It's the crap ice cream at a theater that would have me rolling my eyes. I'd rather spend my calorie intake on Haagan Daaz coffee ice cream or Willy Wonka chocolate truffle.

• Like 1

Diet means way of eating.

Diet Coke is just a brand name. The other version of 'diet' Coke is called Coke Zero. That's what these are: zero calories.

500 snack + 0 soda < 500 snack + 200 soda, so there is a calorie cut.

Aspartame is just a dipeptide, same building blocks as proteins, but in a tiny chain. I've read the horror stories too, but next time when you encounter one - see the half lethal dose. It says it all.

The problem is the name: diet soda. It implies: I'm dieting if I drink it. Dieting and ice cream don't go hand in hand.

However, dieting is not what you are doing, and ice cream can be part of a greater balanced diet.

I do feel compelled to say that artificial sweeteners are poison beyond the calorie count :o

whichwayisup
Eternal, I'm right there with you.

Although I'm really limiting sweets these days, if I do have a cookie or some ice cream as a treat, there's no way I would EVER pair it with a regular soda. UGH. Once you drink diet soda (and lots of water), drinking a regular soda tastes like you're drinking syrup.

And yes it's all a math/calorie game, so diet soda is always a much better choice than regular soda, although there are studies that show diet drinks can trigger the urge to consume more food than you normally would, so I try to limit my diet soda intake to 1 12-ounce drink per day.

(I also like Bernie!)

Try to stop drinking pop (sorry I don't say soda) completely! It's so bad for you. Diet or not, there's tons of chemicals and bad stuff in that stuff. Yuck!

I'd rather drink water or have hot water with lemon and honey.

• Like 1
LivingWaterPlease

Totally understand. I only like diet drinks (pop, soda, coke, whatever you call 'em) though I know artificial sweeteners are bad for you. But, yes, the regular ones (with sugar or corn syrup) are too sweet.

Sometimes I make "root beer floats) with diet coke and ice cream instead of root beer. Actually, I usually buy Publix brand diet cokes because they contain sucralose instead of aspartame. I know sucralose is bad for you, too. But, banking on it being better than aspartame.

Other than that I drink filtered water with fresh-squeezed lemon juice, pure stevia and fresh-squeezed ginger. Excellent drink!

I personally think aspartame has gotten a bad rap. Pure aspartame tastes so good to me that sometimes I rip open a few packages of nutra-sweet and eat it raw. It actually makes me feel good :) I can't say that about any of the other seweeteners out there, including sugar.

• Like 1
Try to stop drinking pop (sorry I don't say soda) completely! It's so bad for you. Diet or not, there's tons of chemicals and bad stuff in that stuff. Yuck!

Oh I know it's not good for you. Everyone has a vice, and mine is diet soda.

I don't smoke. I drink alcohol maybe once a month, and it's usually a glass of red wine or a beer. I get 8 hours of sleep a night and I've been exercising regularly for almost three months. I eat tons of lean meats, raw veggies and fruits, nuts, whole grains, greek yogurt and protein powder. I skip the sweets, fried stuff, fast food, crackers, etc.

I'm just trying to say....I neeeeed my occasional Diet Coke. :)

• Like 2

I agree. I could not eat ice cream and have soda with it. Even if it is a diet drink. Only water goes with ice cream IMHO.

serial muse
id say to him "NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS MR OPINION"

:lmao:

This.

Pure aspartame tastes so good to me that sometimes I rip open a few packages of nutra-sweet and eat it raw.

Oh dear God no. :sick: Aspartame tastes gross.

But yeah, I know people who really like it. Like my mom, for example. I don't get it, but it takes all kinds to make a world. :cool:

ChickiePops

I just prefer the taste of Diet Coke to regular..I do like that it has no calories but even if it did, I'd still like it better. Regular Coke is sickeningly sweet to me. But I'm not really a sweets person anyway.

• Like 1