Diet and workout tips for losing fat

I'm trying to lose a a bit of fat and have a more toned body. Does anyone have any tips for what type of workouts to do and what foods to eat and avoid?

So far My diet mainly consists of kale, home made fruit smoothies, chicken, eggs, brown rice, quinoa, vegan nuggets(prob not totally healthy), various sandwiches made with sprouted bread, Greek yogurt with fruit and nuts, pasta that is whole wheat or made out of other foods like black bean or quinoa, dark chocolate and drink about 3-5 16 oz glasses of water a day. Sometimes I get a few of those frozen food boxes from trader joes. Occasionally when Eating out I'll have things like burgers, chicken, Thai, ramen or pho. Fitness wise I go to the gym about two to three times a week and run for 10-20 mins then hit a few machines for about an hour. Thinking about going to Pilates or kickboxing.

Im pretty sedentary otherwise and am a newbie when it comes to working out. Any advice or would be great!

TaraMaiden2

Eat what you want, in reasonable portions, take up walking or cycling.

Be sensible.

People become so obsessed by weight loss, diet and toning/looking fit.

9/10 times it's a case of utilising the energy (food) you take in, and balancing it with the emergy(activity) you put out.

thefooloftheyear

Weight training....And you can change a sedentary life by incorporating simple tricks.....When you go somewhere, park as far as you can and briskly walk in to the store...Take stairs instead of elevators ...Carry stuff by hand rather than a cart, etc...There are dozens of ways if you think about it....And it will make a difference..

And go to the dr and get a good checkup and some blood work....Even if you do everything right, you will see limited to no results if you don't have your levels where they need to be...very important..

Good luck

TFY

• Like 1

High intensity workouts like kickboxing is good. Plus weight training, steadily increasing resistance (weight) to build muscle.

Bigger muscle composition increases your metabolism because muscle is expensive to run

The reason why you see chubby girls running is that they lose muscle by not eating properly and focusing on losing weight as opposed to losing fat. Most people don't know the difference.

When you see runners, most don't weight train. As a result you see two types mainly: skinny marathon types (lost both fat and muscle) and skinny fat types (lost mainly muscle, fat remains and each time they stop exercise they put even more fat on)

Protein heavy and carb light diet. Cut out smoothies and all other sugar-heavy fad crap. It will make you chubbier. Complex carbs only and whole fruit & veg. Ignore the hype. Always eat protein heavy after weight training for 24 hours.

fitnessfan365
When you see runners, most don't weight train. As a result you see two types mainly: skinny marathon types (lost both fat and muscle) and skinny fat types (lost mainly muscle, fat remains and each time they stop exercise they put even more fat on)

This is a good post. Perfect example is comparing a sprinter's body to a marathon runner's body. Sprinters do a lot of anaerobic work including strength training which is designed to hold onto lean muscle mass. Whereas a ton of long distance work is catabolic and can actually make you wind up losing muscle/increasing body fat.

I run 2-3x per week. But I always do it on trails. Trails have lots of steep hills as well as uneven surfaces. So you actually get a strength component when doing it especially when you throw in hill sprints during. Combine that with full body strength/conditioning and life is good. :)

Protein heavy and carb light diet. Cut out smoothies and all other sugar-heavy fad crap. It will make you chubbier. Complex carbs only and whole fruit & veg. Ignore the hype. Always eat protein heavy after weight training for 24 hours.

Don't agree with this 100% though. Carbs are the main source of fuel for our body. So if you're going to be training hard and regularly, the last thing you should do is stay light on carbs unless you were talking mainly about refined sugars/starches, etc... The most important thing in staying lean is calorie count and keeping a deficit if you want to drop fat. Also, if you're talking about Jamba Juice smoothies then I agree with you. However, natural homemade smoothies are great. Post workout, I'll blend up 16oz water, 1 scoop whey protein, 1/2 cup oats, natural peanut butter, and frozen strawberries/blueberries.

Edited by fitnessfan365
  • Like 2

I put cutting back carbs because in my experience most women initially don't train hard enough to warrant the sort of fuel that lifters need. I think it will take the OP a while.

• Like 1
loveweary11

It's very simple. Eat less, run more.

I was friends with the fat kid in college.

One summer, he decided not to be the fat kid anymore.

All he did was run every day and eat less food. Went from pretty much obese to a normal, if not slightly too thin body... in 3 months.

15 years later, he still looks the same.

The other most important part is it's not a diet or exercise program. It's a complete lifestyle change. You can't stop it, so make it enjoyable and sustainable.

SwordofFlame

I'm on a low carb, high protein and high fat diet. It works for me because I have a big appetite and carbs can't keep me satiated. It probably doesn't help that I don't enjoy most foods that have a lot of fiber :laugh:

Free weights. If you can't get to a gym or don't have weights at home, body weight workouts. Pushups, squats, lunges, etc.

HIIT. High intensity. Short rest periods. Get as much done in as short a period of time as possible.

Eat clean. If it doesn't grow out of the ground or walk, fly or swim, I don't eat it. Lots of water.

Calorie deficit. Calculate how many calories you burn per day. Eat 200 or so calories less than that.

Be consistent. When I go to the gym, the people in the best shape are the ones who are there consistently. The people not in great shape, see them every now and then. Coincidence? I think not.

• Like 1
fitnessfan365
When I go to the gym, the people in the best shape are the ones who are there consistently. The people not in great shape, see them every now and then. Coincidence? I think not.

Definitely liked your post. But I had to quote this to say this isn't always true. Before I became an independent personal trainer, i worked in a variety of gyms. A lot of the so-called "regulars" were often in TERRIBLE shape because they treated it more like social hour. Then when they did workout, they'd literally do the same thing EVERY time they came in.

So one could argue that some people who aren't in the gym as much could be training harder and working out more efficiently. After all, it's better to have three quality workouts per week, than 5-7 mediocre ones.

• Like 1
Definitely liked your post. But I had to quote this to say this isn't always true. Before I became an independent personal trainer, i worked in a variety of gyms. A lot of the so-called "regulars" were often in TERRIBLE shape because they treated it more like social hour. Then when they did workout, they'd literally do the same thing EVERY time they came in.

So one could argue that some people who aren't in the gym as much could be training harder and working out more efficiently. After all, it's better to have three quality workouts per week, than 5-7 mediocre ones.

Of course, you're right. Ultimately that's what I meant - consistently working hard to get better. Whatever their training program may be.

RecentChange

Here is a routine I got on that helped me lose a significant amount of weight:

Calories in, calories out. You listed various foods you eat, but didn't tell us how many calories day. For ME, high protien, high fibre works best. I can eat "volume" yet keep calories down and not feel hungry. In addition to sticking to around 1,200 calories a day, I exercise 6 days a week.

I concentrate on cardio as I already have a good amount of muscle mass.... Typically I run 3 miles on San Francisco hills, and do a 450+ step stair climb each day (on my lunch break). When the weather keeps me inside, I usually spend 45 mins on an arc trainer (interval / running stride, high stepping stride), but also spend time on the bike and tread mill. Evenings I horse back ride, and do manual labor (moving hay bales, dig ditches and the like).

Typical food in a day:

Breakfast - black coffee, low sugar Greek yogurt

Snack - apple

Lunch - rice-less salmon / avocado sushi roll (carrots and cucumber instead of rice)

Dinner- kale salad (vinegar dressing), roasted cauliflower (tossed in coconut oil and a bit of parma cheese), lamb chops.

I don't limit fats very much, I really watch sugar, and so do not eat many refined carbs. If I go out for ramen for instance, I ask for extra fish cake, and don't eat 80% of the noodles.

Something else that helped me lose almost 50 pounds:

Write down everything.

I was doing okay before I started writing things down, but my loses really accelerated when I started to record everything I ate and drank. Every exercise - how much for how long. It gave me a chance to review what I'd done and find ways to improve.

Helped me tremendously.

thefooloftheyear

Not only that.....

Some people get fit and build muscle easily and some dont(or at least they have to work very hard to do so)

You cant out train bad genetics....

TFY

fitnessfan365
Not only that.....

Some people get fit and build muscle easily and some dont(or at least they have to work very hard to do so)

You cant out train bad genetics....

TFY

I don't know man. Bad genetics always seemed like a cop out excuse to me. Granted, people with good genetics will get results much easier. But people with bad genetics can still get results if they educate themselves and put in the work. In a lot of cases, I think "bad genetics" is really another way of saying "bad lifestyle choices".

RecentChange

Eh, I really do think genetics do play a role.... I have noticed I put on muscle very easily. As so my siblings. I was chatting with my sister about how my mom has such "nice legs" despite being a couch potato - never exercises yet has nice defined calves etc.

I am far from a fitness freak - but if I ride my bike a lot for instance (okay and I admit to preferring big gears), my legs get BIG very quickly. Like my pants will start gapping at the waist while stretched tight over my thighs. I also get bulky arms - so I avoid upper body stuff (besides my "cross fit" ranch work).

While others I know really put in the hours, but do not add muscle as quickly as I do. As a female - I rather not put on as much muscle!

My genetics help me build muscle more easily (I sink like a ROCK in water) but I'm not sure I can blame my genetics for me accumulating fat like most almost 40 men. That's all on me.

Wait...can I blame genetics? Because if so, I'll just do that.

TaraMaiden2

I had a very good friend who (with her H) ran a fitness club for all and any takers - she ran the aerobics part, and he did the gym/equipment side.

She was also a fully-qualified nurse and worked freelance at some private clinics, assisting in minor surgical procedures.

She was fit. A beautiful early-40's-something who was toned, honed, lithe and lissom.

She had ladies, who were maybe slightly advanced in years, who complained that no matter what they did, they JUST couldn't shift those extra inches and pounds from their tummies and hips.

She would sympathise and commiserate, but told and advised them on better, specific moves and exercises, and made dietary suggestions.

Then, as she hit her mid/late 40's, something happened....

Even though there had been no change to her dietary or exercise regime, she began to add a little tummy, and a few extra inches to her hips...

So she did quite a bit of research and discovered:

Women who have had children, will be prone to adding a few pounds/inches, approaching and during menopause, and no matter what measures they take (other than surgical intervention), nothing will shift them.

Apparently it's Nature's way of supporting the pelvic frame during hormonal and menopausal changes. Bones/joints can suffer, and pregnancy takes its toll on the pelvis. Some women are prone to osteoporosis, and simple calcium supplements will not, on their own, make a significant difference.

The body amasses more fat around the pelvis to support and protect the bones.

So ladies: if you're menopausal, and the pounds won't shift - relax. They're not mean to!

providing women eat and exercise sensibly and look after themselves, even with the added inches, they will remain well, fit and healthy.

fitnessfan365
I am far from a fitness freak - but if I ride my bike a lot for instance (okay and I admit to preferring big gears), my legs get BIG very quickly. Like my pants will start gapping at the waist while stretched tight over my thighs. I also get bulky arms - so I avoid upper body stuff (besides my "cross fit" ranch work).

While others I know really put in the hours, but do not add muscle as quickly as I do. As a female - I rather not put on as much muscle!

RC how much water do you drink per day? I ask because if you're not staying properly hydrated and you're active, you could be retaining fluid. This can account for an increase in size on your body. The reason I mention this is that riding a bike is not strength training. It's cardiovascular exercise and won't lead to "building muscle". That takes strength training.

Also, when it comes to women you have very low levels of testosterone. So lifting won't actually make you bigger. Challenging your body with strength training will actually help you to reduce body fat.

In general on women when they get bigger, it can usually be tied to water retention or their calorie intake being off. Either taking in too many, or under-eating and not taking enough to match activity level causing metabolism to slow and body fat to increase. I see it time and time again with women I meet in the fitness industry where they think they're getting "bulky" or putting on "muscle" and it's actually an increase in body fat % or bloating from water retention.

Then, as she hit her mid/late 40's, something happened....

Even though there had been no change to her dietary or exercise regime, she began to add a little tummy, and a few extra inches to her hips...

Look at the Hollywood elites. They all adopt.

losangelena
Look at the Hollywood elites. They all adopt.

The Hollywood elites who have armies worth of personal trainers, who go on ridiculous starvation diets, who have the aid of plastic surgery?

Yes, a realistic comparison.

RecentChange

I could drink more water - but I am sure what I am talking about is not water retention.

I am talking about big quads. They become very defined, standing out from my knee dramatically (while my upper thigh becomes thinner from lost fat)- like I mentioned, I have a preference for big gears (I hate just "spinning"), and we have a lot of hills here - when I was biking, it was mountain biking, climbing hill trails on a full suspension bike - its a fair bit of resistance.

Plus, my dude spent years as a pro mt biker (and later a team manager) - I have seen many developed cycling legs.

When I say "bulky" I mean defined biceps etc - not just "thick".

I have also wondered if I run a bit higher on testosterone then most females ... I have a finger length ratio which suggests exposure to higher levels of testosterone (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digit_ratio), plus some other indicators seem to match up.

losangelena
The Hollywood elites who have armies worth of personal trainers, who go on ridiculous starvation diets, who have the aid of plastic surgery?

Yes, a realistic comparison.

Nope, never mind. I totally mis-read your post, Imported. I thought you said ADAPT. Jesus, I'm tired.

Yes, they ADOPT, and avoid the middle weight gain (with their trainers and crash diets and plastic surgery).

Sorry!!

thefooloftheyear
I don't know man. Bad genetics always seemed like a cop out excuse to me. Granted, people with good genetics will get results much easier. But people with bad genetics can still get results if they educate themselves and put in the work. In a lot of cases, I think "bad genetics" is really another way of saying "bad lifestyle choices".

Bad/good genetics will make or break anyone...

Now understand, I am not saying people can't improve...Practically anyone can improve...A 90 year old man with a walker can improve...

When you say "get results", then I guess that needs to be clarified...I've seen some people do absolutely everything right and go little to nowhere.....Heck, there are homeless guys in the street, or guys in prison., that don't work out or have access to fully equipped gyms, don't do any PED's or other supplements, eat like shyt and could embarrass most of the guys trudging there way through arduous workouts, consuming engineered diets, taking gear, whatever....I see those guys and women at the gym every day...They rarely make any progress..

I am not a trainer, but I do help out a lot of people...the very first thing I tell people is to be realistic in your goals, then give it all you have...If you surpass those goals, great...I have had women tell me that if they just kill squats then they should have a body and ass like Michelle Lewin...1 in a thousand that happens..

TFY

fitnessfan365
Bad/good genetics will make or break anyone...

Now understand, I am not saying people can't improve...Practically anyone can improve...A 90 year old man with a walker can improve...

When you say "get results", then I guess that needs to be clarified...I've seen some people do absolutely everything right and go little to nowhere.....Heck, there are homeless guys in the street, or guys in prison., that don't work out or have access to fully equipped gyms, don't do any PED's or other supplements, eat like shyt and could embarrass most of the guys trudging there way through arduous workouts, consuming engineered diets, taking gear, whatever....I see those guys and women at the gym every day...They rarely make any progress..

I am not a trainer, but I do help out a lot of people...the very first thing I tell people is to be realistic in your goals, then give it all you have...If you surpass those goals, great...I have had women tell me that if they just kill squats then they should have a body and ass like Michelle Lewin...1 in a thousand that happens..

TFY

I get what you're saying. But guys in prison and homeless guys being fit actually makes sense when you think about it. They aren't distracted by work or any other normal day to day stuff. So to keep their minds occupied they can actually devote a lot more time to working out. That's why so many guys are in the best shape of their lives when they get out of prison. Hell, the burpee was made popular in prison workouts. I saw a YouTube video recently that showed a homeless guy that used to be a body builder who is still ripped as hell in his 50's, Why? He has nothing but time to exercise.

Once again though, I get what you're saying and it is true that not everyone achieves the full results they want. But when you see a guy like Chris Pratt or Paul Rudd who have been pretty out of shape their whole careers suddenly get into the best shape of their life, it just took time/dedication/education.