How Bad of a Setback is This? (Fitness)

loveweary11

So I didn't work out once during Miami Music Week. Then I caught a terrible pneumonia type thing immediately after.

I've also went off my supplements for a bit to give it a rest. DAA is something you can build a tolerance to and I was needing more and more.

I'm finally feeling better again and am ready to work out.

Still staying off everything but protein for a bit while starting back up.

[]

How bad is this? 2 weeks, zero workouts. How much of a setback am I looking at here?

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
removed comment directed at specific posters ~6
  • Like 1

Hardly a setback at all. You should be close to normal after a week of working out again.

• Like 8

snip

How bad is this? 2 weeks, zero workouts. How much of a setback am I looking at here?

Minimal, as PogoStick said.

• Like 1
thefooloftheyear

It's not much of a deal...2 weeks??

Just a quick story..

I took several years off because I was just too involved with business, and was putting in 14 hours a day and eating like garbage...

When I finally got my shyt back together, within a measly 3 or 4 months I was tearing the place up..

Periodic breaks are actually good as we get older...I often find my strength and stamina gets better after I come out of a break...I say dont get too disappointed if your strength is off a bit(due to being sick)...It will come right back around...

TFY

• Like 4
  • Author
loveweary11

Thanks for the input everyone... and thank god. I thought it would be a big setback.

Starting back up tomorrow.

I've had to take several breaks over the last four years, most pretty short but this one has gone on for months. I have found the same thing as TFOTY. There were times when I actually seemed to be stronger after a break. Even my cardio doesn't drop off too badly. This, along with a few injuries, led me to suspect that I'm not allowing enough recovery time after hard workouts. I normally go two days on and one off. But now I'm allowing a second day off once a week.

I think this is the biggest consequence of age. You don't build new muscle as quickly as when young. So the tearing takes longer to repair. ...that and I watch that heart rate chart. I keep it high for my age but I don't push it too hard. Basically I stay at the max red line! :laugh:

Edited by Robert Z
  • Like 1
  • Author
loveweary11
I've had to take several breaks over the last four years, most pretty short but this one has gone on for months. I have found the same thing as TFOTY. There were times when I actually seemed to be stronger after a break. Even my cardio doesn't drop off too badly. This, along with a few injuries, led me to suspect that I'm not allowing enough recovery time after hard workouts. I normally go two days on and one off. But now I'm allowing a second day off once a week.

I think this is the biggest consequence of age. You don't build new muscle as quickly as when young. So the tearing takes longer to repair. ...that and I watch that heart rate chart. I keep it high for my age but I don't push it too hard. Basically I stay at the max red line! :laugh:

Oooh. The heart rate chart. I haven't done cardio in ages because I've been building muscle for cosmetic reasons.

I'm always redlining or past redline with that. I just go until it feels like I'm at the max RPMs (or BPMs actually) that i can take. Is that dangerous as you age?

Been doing it like that my whole life and my early life was defined by extreme cardio. Used to run up Mt Washington, snowboard all day (walk up each time), run back down, mountain bike hard,ride centuries on road bikes, etc,etc. I have some of that residual left inside, as well as the leg muscles from it, so I never thought twice about going very, very hard with cardio.

But is it a danger with age?

Obviously that risk increases with age. But the true answer is, it's only dangerous if you have a cardiovascular problem, like an aneurysm or a blood clot. Too bad you have no way to know if those things are affecting you! Being sedentary is dangerous too.

Best you can do is listen to your body. And you will naturally self-limit with age. You must not be too old yet, or you would have already figured that out ;)

• Like 1
Obviously that risk increases with age. But the true answer is, it's only dangerous if you have a cardiovascular problem, like an aneurysm or a blood clot. Too bad you have no way to know if those things are affecting you! Being sedentary is dangerous too.

Best you can do is listen to your body. And you will naturally self-limit with age. You must not be too old yet, or you would have already figured that out ;)

If it only applied to people with a heart condition there wouldn't be a need for heart rate charts. If someone has a heart condition they don't just limit their activities to what the chart on the wall says.

I think the point is that we do self limit, but as we age, if we try to achieve what we did when younger, we can exceed the natural limit.

I know my heart rate by my breathing. If I am breathing as hard as I can and my muscles feel oxygen deprived, then I am at or exceeding my limit.

• Author
loveweary11

Finally got back on the horse/bicycle/tricycle/hover board.

You were all right.

Was no issue doing my regular workouts and didn't have to go down in weight

I'm not a fitness guru at all so take this fwiw but I've noticed it doesn't take too long for cardio to suffer a bit, at least in terms of 'peak' performance.