LPR, Reflux, Dry Cough, 'Minty' Feeling

About 18 months ago I had a dry cough I just could not shift. Had all the tests, breathing, heart, all good. The doctor diagnosed it as gas from the stomach getting out and irritating my bronchi and making me cough. It was named as reflux oesophagitis and gave me a short course of PPIs to let the inflammation heal. Never had reflux or heartburn, just the cough.

My mum had made some flippin' awful fish in a butter sauce one evening and that night I had the first ever reflux episode in bed, washing up my throat. From then on I had the most intense heat in my throat and mouth until the PPIs finally kicked in.

It was replaced by a cold sensation in the mouth and throat when I take a sharp breath in, like when you've brushed your teeth, but it's not there all the time. I'm assuming it's hydrogen chloride gas from the stomach, although I've never had a reflux episode since that first one, nor have I ever had any heartburn pain or anything like that. While I tilt the bed a little, I never have a problem sleeping in a flat bed.

I know people say to use cider acid vinegar, but I have a very scientific and logical mind, so herbal stuff doesn't sit well in my brain and I think I lose out because of the way my mind analyses things to a logical conclusion. Plus I've researched that so heavily I don't think it will have any effect now. I'm really into science and biologically it makes no sense anyway.

I work out four times a week, have 7-8 fruits and vegetables a day, no sugar, soft drinks, chocolate, mint, ice cream, tomatoes, onions, alcohol, don't smoke or take drugs... I have a very healthy lifestyle.

I've been checked by doctors (haven't had an endoscopy, just a laryngoscopy) and they got nothing. I'm currently cutting out dairy to see if anything improves. Has anyone else experienced this? Would including or omitting anything in my diet help? Food is the body's fuel, after all. I would love to get off these damn pills!

I mainly have experience with food and supplements. I'm too tired to add much here right now, though.

Apple cider vinegar is really just another food, and is the easiest vinegar for my body to digest. You can make your own salad dressing, you don't have to drink it.

I'm not sure what to suggest, because you're doing better diet-wise than I am. If you don't mind the taste of aniseed/fennel, you could try making soup or salad with that added to it. I don't like it, so I have to try other things.

Mint would probably help, not hurt (unless you don't like it). Ginger tea is also one that's recommended.

You might want to look up a book called The Elimination Diet. I haven't been successful in changing my diet for at least a month (completely changing it), but you're pretty much there with the lack of sugar, and now cutting dairy from your diet. They recommend not having tomatoes or citrus for a while, along with other things, and then reintroducing them one at a time, and testing your body's response to them.

• Like 1
  • Author

Thanks Aniela, I honestly can't eat any healthier than I am, but I'm pretty sure the body has ways of fixing itself. I'll look up that book though, thank you.

I don't eat citrus or tomatoes, so I'm all good with that. The real plus point to all this is that after cutting out the chocolate desserts and cakes, I've have absolutely no craving for sugar, which means I now get the 'true' flavour of vegetables and fruit, and everything is delicious!

I've learned to cook and I make everything from scratch. If you want me to send you a pdf of all the recipes I've collected that sit really well then just PM me and I'll send it over. :)

• Like 1

I've never understood the cider vinegar thing. That would be acid to an already acidic environment. Unless it's got to do with that body pH balance thing? If anything, I'd go with a teaspoon of baking soda in some warm water. If you get a good belch out of it, you'll know you hit acid, or acidic gas.

I really don't have much to suggest, your diet is blowing my mind. I'd be tempted to cut down on that taste, or sharp feeling, by having a cigg or a Jack n Coke. Hmmm, a shot of Fireball doubles as mouthwash.

What are you on? One PPI? That wouldn't be the end of the world for me, if that's all it took. But, I'll say, both H and I Have been on one at one point or another, and now, neither of us is.

I have some licorice tabs in my cabinet, can't recall why I bought them, but it was gut related. Let me go look.

Ah, yes. Supports tummy mucosa in general. Tasty things too, if you like licorice.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/julie-chen-md/dgl-supplements_b_2976260.html

Edited by MidwestUSA
  • Like 1
  • Author
I've never understood the cider vinegar thing. That would be acid to an already acidic environment. Unless it's got to do with that body pH balance thing? If anything, I'd go with a teaspoon of baking soda in some warm water. If you get a good belch out of it, you'll know you hit acid, or acidic gas.

I agree with that. It makes no sense to add a teaspoon of relatively mild acid to an organ that produces acid strong enough to dissolve a razor blade. (Told you I've done my science research!) To me it sounds like a placebo effect, but since I'm aware of it, I don't think it's going to do a lot for me.

Oddly enough whenever I belch it doesn't burn or feel acidic, it's just a regular burp. I'm going to give the baking soda a go today anyway, see if I can at least get the alphabet out. :laugh:

I was given a jar of that licorice but I haven't been brave enough to try it yet because it says it can affect PPI medicines. I'm on 30mg Lanzoprazole a day, not sure if that's a lot or not. Maybe it's time I just gave it a chance.

I'm not in any pain or anything, it's just a real annoyance with this cold throat and having to take pills!

• Author

Can't hurt to try Satu, thank you!

Edited by TheArtist
loveweary11

Nibble tiny bits of Tums?

Baking soda too, but yuck.

It's as simple as introducing a base to the problem. The calcium carbonate in Tums is a good base that doesn't taste bad.

• Like 1
  • Author
It's as simple as introducing a base to the problem. The calcium carbonate in Tums is a good base that doesn't taste bad.

I know what you're saying, but the calcium can affect your kidneys after a while; I don't want to add more problems!

Although Reishi isn't specific for your problem, I would consider trying it if I were you.

OK they don't look quite as delicious, but no side effects is a winner for me! Thanks Satu!

• Like 2
  • Author

By the way MidwestUSA, what was it that you had? Was it similar to my experience with no real reflux, or was it the full-on heartburn? How long did it take to get off the pills?

• Like 1
serial muse
I know what you're saying, but the calcium can affect your kidneys after a while; I don't want to add more problems!

Hm, milk of magnesium then? It's also a carbonate, which is the part that takes up excess acid (H+), but has Mg instead of Ca. (I don't know whether Mg has an effect on kidneys, though - you probably know more than I do about that!)

A finely aged Whisky helps.

One before bed (or two)

One in the morning (Just to keep the buzz on)

Couple of sneaky shots at work...

Duck into the off licence after work for a refreshing 6 pack.

Watch `Eggheads` then the `One` Show

But don`t watch `Michael Portillo`s, History of British railways`

A slightly camp former Tory should never be mixed with alcohol.

• Like 3
  • Author
Hm, milk of magnesium then? It's also a carbonate, which is the part that takes up excess acid (H+), but has Mg instead of Ca. (I don't know whether Mg has an effect on kidneys, though - you probably know more than I do about that!)

Yes, that's also an option, but I think the side effects are more of a runny bottom. :D

Ideally I'm hoping to find the cause of it is something to do with a food I've developed an intolerance to, or maybe a shortage of a certain vitamin or mineral.

I tried those probiotic yogurts for a month and it gradually increased my symptoms. With the original reflux episode being caused by fish in a rich buttery sauce, I'm starting to think it's dairy related, although I've never had a problem in the past. It's very odd.

• Author
A finely aged Whisky helps.

One before bed (or two)

One in the morning (Just to keep the buzz on)

Couple of sneaky shots at work...

Duck into the off licence after work for a refreshing 6 pack.

Watch `Eggheads` then the `One` Show

But don`t watch `Michael Portillo`s, History of British railways`

A slightly camp former Tory should never be mixed with alcohol.

I was with you until you mentioned the One Show. You must have quite a strong constitution.

• Like 1
I was with you until you mentioned the One Show. You must have quite a strong constitution.

I have quite a thing for Alex Jones......

• Like 1
  • Author
I have quite a thing for Alex Jones......

The guy who sang the Snowman song? Crikey.

I see your Alex Jones and raise you one Suzi Perry. :love:

Now mention a cure for reflux before the moderators see us!

• Like 1
amaysngrace

How about aloe juice? My daughter drank it when she had an ulcer and it seemed to help since she doesn't have an ulcer anymore.

• Like 2
  • Author
How about aloe juice? My daughter drank it when she had an ulcer and it seemed to help since she doesn't have an ulcer anymore.

Oh, I remember trying that for a week. It was the most disgusting taste I've ever experienced! It was like drain cleaner (I later used it as that). It didn't seem to have much effect, but thank you for the suggestion. :)

• Like 1
loveweary11

And the *sodium* bicarbonate will give you a stroke from high blood pressure.

Pick your poison.

• Like 1
And the *sodium* bicarbonate will give you a stroke from high blood pressure.

Pick your poison.

Only if you already have a problem like HTN. Your body excretes excess sodium; it's not like a fat soluble vitamin that gets stored. I have free reign to take in as much as I want, just to keep my BP up.

As for the mag sulfate, or carbonate, no. Artist has it right. You'll be running, and using that aloe juice on baby wipes.

• Like 2
By the way MidwestUSA, what was it that you had? Was it similar to my experience with no real reflux, or was it the full-on heartburn? How long did it take to get off the pills?

I have an occasional bout of severe gastritis, usually tequila related. I know, because it's quickly fixed by a huge chug of milk of mag, or 23 Tums.

As for the rest of my internal pains, I found it's all refered BS from spinal stenosis. It sucks. So, no need to address what's not there. I'm still finishing off the licorice tho. Just because I like them (and paid for them).

• Like 1
serial muse

As for the mag sulfate, or carbonate, no. Artist has it right. You'll be running, and using that aloe juice on baby wipes.

Duly noted. :lmao::lmao::sick:

• Like 2

A year ago, I was drinking just a bit of aloe, in a little bit of water, three times a day. I didn't complete the course of everything I had to take, but it might have helped at the time - I can't remember.

Magnesium is something I've been taking in powder form recently, just before going to sleep, and it has that certain effect in the morning... I have been able to drink orange juice when I mix the powder into it. Normally, I have trouble with orange juice.

I hate licorice. You couldn't pay me to eat it. :laugh:

• Like 2