UK dental insurance question

Does any UK resident here have dental insuance? I've been landed with a large bill today after breaking a tooth - but I knowingly picked a good private practice.

I used NHS for years then switched to dentist in Hungary - which is high quality stuff cheaply. So until now I could look after my teeth cheaply.

So looked into insurance but they really seem to cap payments. Is it worth it? I'm going to go back to my expensive one a couple more times to finish treatment (root canal, post, my first ever crown) and will ask him to take a look at what else is needed. It just seems to me that insurance pays out very little.

• Author
Tell us the REAL reason why you are going back to that dentist. :bunny:

In my dreams.

• Author

I've heard about this. At the moment I'm ok with lump sum, spreading it over a period isn't an issue yet. I'd like to get some of the money back though.

It just doesn't seem that dental insurance is worth it? Agree?

I do agree. For the kids its a good scheme. Denplan seems to be not so bad.

Dental tourism as you know is what a lot of Brits do.

I did it once for a series of extensive treatments. Cost me around 2000 grand as opposed to 7000 grand.

And i am happy to say the care and treatment i received was better than anything i`d experienced in the UK.:)

• Like 1
  • Author
I do agree. For the kids its a good scheme. Denplan seems to be not so bad.

Dental tourism as you know is what a lot of Brits do.

I did it once for a series of extensive treatments. Cost me around 2000 grand as opposed to 7000 grand.

And i am happy to say the care and treatment i received was better than anything i`d experienced in the UK.:)

Yes until now I was a dental tourist and that's how I have my white fillings. If I had this done in Hungary, it would have cost a quarter but alas it was an emergency (broken tooth, too much damage to wait).

Having said that, this dentist is the most competent I've met so far. No nonsense, very assertive and gets on with it. Not the smoothest bedside manner but he explained everything. His recommendations were cost effective too.

I'll get an assesment from him for very little cost and make a decision based on that.

My dentist does 0% Finance to spread payment over a period. Do you have experience of that?

Not with a dentist. I have never spread payments. But with other things yes. But no interest on payments is good? But i have heard sometimes additional charges get added for other things.

• Like 1
  • Author
Not with a dentist. I have never spread payments. But with other things yes. But no interest on payments is good? But i have heard sometimes additional charges get added for other things.

That's what I was wondering. I am paying for the treatment as I go rather than upfront and they don't care. I'll check out any fees if it's over a longer period.

Yes, people can miss payments etc. Then the `promotion` is over and some hefty charges are applied.

Which magazine is very useful for navigating all this. They have a finance section which is very good.

They cover everything. But i think you may need a subscription.

Reviews and expert advice from Which?

• Like 1
  • Author
Yes, people can miss payments etc. Then the `promotion` is over and some hefty charges are applied.

Which magazine is very useful for navigating all this. They have a finance section which is very good.

They cover everything. But i think you may need a subscription.

Reviews and expert advice from Which?

Which is great, a friend will let me use his log in. Thank you.

Maybe if I miss a payment, he will let me make up for it in kind :love:

• Like 1