Pain in my legs keeping me up at night

Eternal Sunshine

I am not sure what this is and I would rather not see a doctor and have multiple tests and scans if it's not necessary.

I got a cold a week or so ago. I had typical symptoms: sore throat, blocked/stuffy nose, headache, a little feverish. Second day into this cold I started having a dull ache in my lower back and back of my legs (mostly thighs). It seems to be the same in both legs and it's worse at night. Last night, it was really bad and I was waking up every hour from the pain. I had to position pillows under my legs to get even somewhat comfortable.

I went to work this morning and the pain was mostly gone while walking and sitting. It's still there if I put my legs up though...I am not even sure if it's related to the cold. The cold seems to be lingering with sore throat and stuffy nose. I got some anti-inflammatory tablets from the pharmacy for tonight.

Anyone has any idea what this could be?

P.S. I never had any back or leg problems before.

Histamine response?

If not for the cold virus I'd be thinking circulatory or nerve issues, particularly circulatory. Also, it could be combinative if your menstrual cycle is involved.

My usual process since I'm miles from anywhere is examine, learn and, if no immediate threat to ADL's, see if it resolves in a week. If not, get thee to a doctor.

Back when I was caregiving and my mom had leg pain I'd do her sugars (diabetes) and check her ankle pressures for balance and compared to her arms and journal the results for the doctor. Circulation and attendant pain was a particular problem with her diabetes so managing it was part of care.

How are the legs doing? We don't typically associate cold with "aches", but the flu commonly causes pain, especially in the back and neck. And, if you're sitting a lot from being sick, then pain in the hamstrings is a common side effect from being in that position.

• Like 1
whichwayisup

You should go get it checked. It could be related to the cold/flu you had or it could be a simple thing, a vitamin deficiency which has caused pain in your legs and lower back. Or it could be something more serious!

Do an update, is the pain gone or did you go to the Dr?