I'm trying to be a healthier person. I've never been into cooking but it's important for me to make healthy, non-processed, non-toxic meals that are also budget friendly.

Does anyone have good links or knowledge on how to meal plan for this type of lifestyle. I've been learning as much as I can but I'm getting overwhelmed. I need simple steps and easy stuff.

• Like 1
hasaquestion

OP here are my favorite online cooking resources.

J. Kenji Lopez-Alt's godly cooking blog:

Serious Eats: The Food Lab | Serious Eats

Blue Apron is a meal planning service. Its stupidly expensive, and actually buying the service is out of the question, but the recipe database is great. Lots of creative, vegetable-heavy recipes. Good for new ideas.

https://www.blueapron.com/cookbook

Jess Dang's Cook-smarts blog and vimeo channel. This is VERY basic stuff but the cooking theory entries are something you might never have seen and thought about before so its still worth a look.

Kitchen inspiration and weekly meal plan service | Cook Smarts

https://vimeo.com/cooksmarts

There are some good 'guides' on this page. Worth a look.

Healthy Recipes, Quick & Easy Recipes, Dinner Ideas | Williams-Sonoma

The common theme here is that these are mostly big picture resources that touch on the "why?" of cooking technique more than specific recipes. IMO you don't want to memorize recipes, you want to understand what's going on.

• Like 1
  • Author
OP here are my favorite online cooking resources.

J. Kenji Lopez-Alt's godly cooking blog:

Serious Eats: The Food Lab | Serious Eats

Blue Apron is a meal planning service. Its stupidly expensive, and actually buying the service is out of the question, but the recipe database is great. Lots of creative, vegetable-heavy recipes. Good for new ideas.

https://www.blueapron.com/cookbook

Jess Dang's Cook-smarts blog and vimeo channel. This is VERY basic stuff but the cooking theory entries are something you might never have seen and thought about before so its still worth a look.

Kitchen inspiration and weekly meal plan service | Cook Smarts

https://vimeo.com/cooksmarts

There are some good 'guides' on this page. Worth a look.

Healthy Recipes, Quick & Easy Recipes, Dinner Ideas | Williams-Sonoma

The common theme here is that these are mostly big picture resources that touch on the "why?" of cooking technique more than specific recipes. IMO you don't want to memorize recipes, you want to understand what's going on.

That's fantastic! Thank you. My life seems to be all about meal planning now. It's something I never took seriously. But now I must.

• Like 1

Eating for Life

http://www.amazon.com/Eating-Life-Health-Increased-Energy/dp/0972018417

This one is full of healthy, balanced meals. Each of them has protein, carbs, and veggies. There are plenty of stews, soups, etc., but many of them are super simple...1) piece of meat, 2) potato/sweet potato/rice, 3) veggies Really easy to prepare, especially if you like most proteins. The author is a bodybuilder and does a great job explaining what portion sizes should look like, and why our bodies need proteins, complex carbs and healthy fats.

I'd say most of these meals can be made in 30 minutes.

Edited by MightyPen
  • Like 1
  • Author
Eating for Life

Eating for Life: Your Guide to Great Health, Fat Loss and Increased Energy: Bill Phillips: 9780972018418: Amazon.com: Books

This one is full of healthy, balanced meals. Each of them has protein, carbs, and veggies. There are plenty of stews, soups, etc., but many of them are super simple...1) piece of meat, 2) potato/sweet potato/rice, 3) veggies Really easy to prepare, especially if you like most proteins. The author is a bodybuilder and does a great job explaining what portion sizes should look like, and why our bodies need proteins, complex carbs and healthy fats.

I'd say most of these meals can be made in 30 minutes.

I've been browsing the links. They're excellent. Right now, budget conscious, healthy organic cooking is my big challenge. I'm not drawn to the kitchen. Food has never been a big deal to me so I've never put much effort into this area and I feel like a beginner cook. There's so much to learn. Once I begin growing my own herbs it will be more exciting.

Edited by Summer3
  • Like 1
I've been browsing the links. They're excellent. Right now, budget conscious, healthy organic cooking is my big challenge. I'm not drawn to the kitchen. Food has never been a big deal to me so I've never put much effort into this area and I feel like a beginner cook. There's so much to learn. Once I begin growing my own herbs it will be more exciting.

Yeah, if you want to eat healthier, "real" food you have to learn to navigate around the kitchen, lol. My husband is kind of the same way... he eats only as a source of nourishment and energy, not because food is fawking ahhmaaaziing :love:.

I think this girl has a great website with step by step pictures. She has a huge recipe catalog, and when I shop her recipes for the week I definitely notice a difference in my budget. I found the site because she was recommended on a personal finance and budgeting forum that I sometimes frequent. I have made several of her recipes, and they are all 4-5 stars. :)

Budget Bytes - My stomach is full and my wallet is too.

This is a popular one:

http://www.budgetbytes.com/2013/05/italian-wonderpot/

And this is one of my FAVES:

http://www.budgetbytes.com/2015/07/sweet-potato-tacos-with-lime-crema/

Edited by Ms. Faust
  • Like 2
  • Author
Yeah, if you want to eat healthier, "real" food you have to learn to navigate around the kitchen, lol. My husband is kind of the same way... he eats only as a source of nourishment and energy, not because food is fawking ahhmaaaziing :love:.

I think this girl has a great website with step by step pictures. She has a huge recipe catalog, and when I shop her recipes for the week I definitely notice a difference in my budget. I found the site because she was recommended on a personal finance and budgeting forum that I sometimes frequent. I have made several of her recipes, and they are all 4-5 stars. :)

Budget Bytes - My stomach is full and my wallet is too.

This is a popular one:

Italian Wonderpot - Budget Bytes

And this is one of my FAVES:

Sweet Potato Tacos with Lime Crema - Budget Bytes

Thanks! I bookmarked it. I think it's cool how she lists the prices of all the ingredients.

I cannot tell you how happy my husband is now that I'm actually cooking. LOL

• Like 1

I was going to mention Budget Bytes, as well.

100 Days of Real Food might also help you. You can google for a website, and their book.

101 Cookbooks - Healthy Recipe Journal - Heidi Swanson's site. I received her latest cookbook for Christmas. I think I remember her saying that she's not a fan of spending too much time in the kitchen, which works for me. :) She has a wider variety of foods to work with, though, since she's in San Francisco.

• Like 3

I BBQ @ enough chicken breast (boneless skinless frozen) and beef (no need for a cut worthy of grilling, just gonna stew it anyway) to last for @2 weeks and then stew it all (separately) till it's all nice and tender. I usually add in a lot of hot sauce and peppers to make the meats come out...hot. I put them in little .5 cup size containers, keep 1 of each just refrigerated and freeze the rest. Now I have a meat base that needs very little effort to use.

I use these to make little carnitas tacos and stir fry. I have a really nice 8" pan for "portion control" as I don't really measure out anything anymore. Heat up the pan, put in @2-3oz of meat, brown the meat, add in a bunch of chopped up sweet peppers and jalapeno. Cook it a bit, add in some sweet+spicy sauce. Caramelize it a bit, add in mushrooms, baby bamboo shoots, broccoli, split peas, carrot shreds.....whatever you like. Pretty much it's a little bit of meat and fill out with veggies and then add rice or some fat Japanese udon noodles. I add like maybe 2 tablespoons of rice or @1/4th the serving size of the Udon noodles I get. Then continue stir frying with some cool flavored teriyaki sauce I have and sriracha sauce. If I went with the noodles, I usually put some crushed peanuts+almonds on top and then squirt lime all over it like it's Pad Thai.

The tacos are super easy. I use to make my own tortilla's, but moved recently and not able to make my own as easily anymore, so I just get La Tortilla Factory stuff, which is pretty good. Trader Joe's also sells their own tortilla brand, which is also very good. It really does matter. If all you get is Mission or whatever, you're missing out. Only problem is all these tortillas are big. When I made my own, I used a corn/flour mix and made tiny tortillas and would just add in as much meat as I can to it, squirt lime over it and eat 3 or 4 with a nice beer. Now I get the smallest La Tortilla Factory tortilla, add meat and just eat 2 with a nice beer.

I also make burritos with the meats, but I don't use beans or rice. Basically it's just the meat and a bunch of vegetables stir fried and then wrapped up in a tortilla with some cheese.

• Like 1
  • Author
I was going to mention Budget Bytes, as well.

100 Days of Real Food might also help you. You can google for a website, and their book.

101 Cookbooks - Healthy Recipe Journal - Heidi Swanson's site. I received her latest cookbook for Christmas. I think I remember her saying that she's not a fan of spending too much time in the kitchen, which works for me. :) She has a wider variety of foods to work with, though, since she's in San Francisco.

Is this what you're referring to?

100 Days of Real Food

BTW for all you Costco shoppers I found this:

http://dontwastethecrumbs.com/2014/05/frugal-real-foodies-guide-healthy-food-at-costco/

Edited by Summer3

Here is a super easy recipe:

One-Pot Peanut Sesame Noodles & Veggies

So, I have all the staples for this recipe (garlic, soy sauce, sesame seeds, oil... you know, the more expensive stuff, but it lasts forever). All I had to buy last night were the vegetables. It came out to $6.65, and this pot makes enough to get two people through at least midweek. :)

I have made this before with olive oil, and it is just as delicious.

Note: It calls for 8 oz. of linguine... I use 12 oz, and it is fine.

Also note: I am more than sure it would have been even less had I gone to Aldis.

• Like 2
Here is a super easy recipe:

One-Pot Peanut Sesame Noodles & Veggies

So, I have all the staples for this recipe (garlic, soy sauce, sesame seeds, oil... you know, the more expensive stuff, but it lasts forever). All I had to buy last night were the vegetables. It came out to $6.65, and this pot makes enough to get two people through at least midweek. :)

I have made this before with olive oil, and it is just as delicious.

Note: It calls for 8 oz. of linguine... I use 12 oz, and it is fine.

Also note: I am more than sure it would have been even less had I gone to Aldis.

I think we're in the same State. I keep meaning to go to Aldi's. I go to Krieger's, and Giant Eagle (which is too expensive with certain things, but has petrol rewards thanks to the card, that my dad can use).

I made tacos, with a recipe from an elimination diet book:

1 cup pomegranate juice

2 tsp cumin

2 tsp sea salt or herbamare

1/2-1 tsp black pepper

1-1/2lbs skinless, boneless chicken thighs

2 or 3 cloves of garlic, chopped

1 onion, sliced into half-moons

I make it in the slow cooker, around 8 hours on low.

• Like 3
loveweary11

Summer,

The best way to begin is not to try to do everything at once.

What do you currently like to eat? Include any premade or unhealthy things.

Make a little list of your favorites here in this thread.

Then, you can buy healthy *ingredients* and start making your favorite foods. I would be happy to help...

You don't need to master fancy dishes. You can start by making what you make now, but with pure, wholesome, unprocessed ingredients or alternatives.

So what are some of your current dishes?

(Include take out, processed foods and junk food)

Edited by loveweary11
  • Like 1
fitnessfan365

The advice I always give clients is to keep it simple and as close to the foods you enjoy as possible. If you can get enjoyment out of what you're eating, then you're going to want to make it. Off the top of my head :

1) Spaghetti and meatballs - Whole wheat spaghetti and extra lean ground turkey. When prepared properly, tastes exactly like the real thing. Then steam some spinach and mix it in.

2) Tacos - Extra lean ground beef (96/4) with whole grain shells. Throw in some lower fat sliced cheese, tomatoes, spinach, etc and bam..healthy Mexican food

3) Mashed cauliflower - This is one of my FAVORITES. I'll steam an entire bag of frozen cauliflower which is 100 calories tops. Then you put 1/3 cup of milk, 1 TBSP of butter, and some garlic power/pepper into a blender along with the cauliflower. Blend it up little by little and you have what is basically mashed potatoes with a 1/3 of the calories and no starches made up of healthy vegetables.

** You can also make a pizza crush out cauliflower as well.

But for even simpler healthy snacks, start making smoothies. After a workout, I'll take some frozen blueberries/strawberries, a scoop of whey protein, a bit of natural peanut butter and 1/2 cup oats with about 16oz of water into my Vitamix. Blend it up and it's SO GOOD. Then for an extra treat I'll have a few squares of extra dark 85% Lindt dark chocolate which is full of anti-oxidants.

• Like 2

Lentil soup is also really easy. I make one in the slow cooker, and use red lentils, because they break down a bit.

6-8 cups of broth of choice

1 cup of lentils

1 chopped onion

2 stalks celery, chopped

2 carrots (thin slices for these, and the celery)

1 parsnip, chopped

2 tbsp minced garlic

1 tsp thyme (maybe a little more - I'll have to find the recipe again)

3 tbsp white rice (breaks down and thickens the soup)

1/8 tsp pepper

Salt - I can't recall how much. 1/2 tsp, I think, 1 tsp at most.

6-8 hours in the slow cooker on low, or simmer on the stove on low, until the vegetables and lentils are soft.

• Like 2
  • Author
Summer,

The best way to begin is not to try to do everything at once.

What do you currently like to eat? Include any premade or unhealthy things.

Make a little list of your favorites here in this thread.

Then, you can buy healthy *ingredients* and start making your favorite foods. I would be happy to help...

You don't need to master fancy dishes. You can start by making what you make now, but with pure, wholesome, unprocessed ingredients or alternatives.

So what are some of your current dishes?

(Include take out, processed foods and junk food)

Any help you can provide will be a blessing. Cooking is something I want to learn the right way and I'm determined to lower my body fat and increase some muscle for strength.

Here is my list:

Pizza (I could probably eat it everyday. :love: I buy from the store.)

Pasta (I use the canned sauce which is probably not very healthy.)

Sushi (Will NOT attempt to make.)

Chicken (Boneless Skinless Thighs Bought at Costco use different marinades. Most include Soy Sauce.)

Salmon Baked

Salads

Rice

Sweet Potatoes

Cookies

Chocolate

• Like 1
  • Author
The advice I always give clients is to keep it simple and as close to the foods you enjoy as possible. If you can get enjoyment out of what you're eating, then you're going to want to make it. Off the top of my head :

1) Spaghetti and meatballs - Whole wheat spaghetti and extra lean ground turkey. When prepared properly, tastes exactly like the real thing. Then steam some spinach and mix it in.

2) Tacos - Extra lean ground beef (96/4) with whole grain shells. Throw in some lower fat sliced cheese, tomatoes, spinach, etc and bam..healthy Mexican food

3) Mashed cauliflower - This is one of my FAVORITES. I'll steam an entire bag of frozen cauliflower which is 100 calories tops. Then you put 1/3 cup of milk, 1 TBSP of butter, and some garlic power/pepper into a blender along with the cauliflower. Blend it up little by little and you have what is basically mashed potatoes with a 1/3 of the calories and no starches made up of healthy vegetables.

** You can also make a pizza crush out cauliflower as well.

But for even simpler healthy snacks, start making smoothies. After a workout, I'll take some frozen blueberries/strawberries, a scoop of whey protein, a bit of natural peanut butter and 1/2 cup oats with about 16oz of water into my Vitamix. Blend it up and it's SO GOOD. Then for an extra treat I'll have a few squares of extra dark 85% Lindt dark chocolate which is full of anti-oxidants.

I love pasta. Which whole wheat spaghetti do you recommend? I remember buying some before and it tasted pretty bad.

The cauliflower recipe sounds good. I actually have a blender. I think I used it once. :o

I think we're in the same State. I keep meaning to go to Aldi's. I go to Krieger's, and Giant Eagle (which is too expensive with certain things, but has petrol rewards thanks to the card, that my dad can use).

Yup, lol, I am in the capital. Giant Eagle is a tad expensive for me, but I do like going there and getting olive oil, beer, and nuts. Other than that, we always go to Kroger. Aldis is consistently the cheapest place to get food, but it use to only accept debit cards or checks (we are credit card users). They recently expanded to credit cards, so I think I will start going there more often.

Summer, salmon is particularly easy to make. I probably make it once a week for my hubby (I buy several fillets, which end up lasting for most of the week). All I do is mix 1/4 c. of olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, and lemon juice in a bowl and let the salmon marinade in it.

You can either bake or cook it on the stovetop, so easy!

Good luck on the cooking, really the hardest part is the clean up. :o

• Like 3
loveweary11
Any help you can provide will be a blessing. Cooking is something I want to learn the right way and I'm determined to lower my body fat and increase some muscle for strength.

Here is my list:

Pizza (I could probably eat it everyday. :love: I buy from the store.)

Pasta (I use the canned sauce which is probably not very healthy.)

Sushi (Will NOT attempt to make.)

Chicken (Boneless Skinless Thighs Bought at Costco use different marinades. Most include Soy Sauce.)

Salmon Baked

Salads

Rice

Sweet Potatoes

Cookies

Chocolate

I share your love of pizza. I think it's my favorite food. :)

1) Stay out of Costco. Your healthy is not something to pinch pennies on. You should be be getting the highest quality foods and just making a little bit less of themto save $$$ if desired.

Starting with pasta...

Go to whole foods. It's not any more expensive there unless you are buying prepared foods. Basic ingredients are a similar price, though you absolutely will pay more to eat animals that lived a healthy, drug free life before you ate them. It's just more expensive to treat animals well, so accept that...

Shopping list for pasta at Whole foods:

Buy 365 brand whole wheat, spelt or other whole grain or rice pasta. Whole wheat will taste best.

Get local, grass fed, free range organic ground beef.

Get a wedge of parmesan cheese from the cheese section.

Buy cans of crushed tomatoes. Watch the labels. Some are packed with sodium, but say there are like 30 servings per can so the percentage can fool you. Multiply the percentage times the number of servings to be sure of sodium content in a can.

Get garlic powder, oregano, crushed red pepper.

That's all you need to make quick, simple and very satisfying pasta.

Brown beef in skillet

Add crushed tomatoes

Add a good amount of garlic and oregano... a lot.

a few flakes of red pepper.

Grind in a fair amount of Parmesan right into the sauce.

Boil pasta until al dente.

You have a very satisfying and quick pasta meal that's as healthy as a pasta meal can get.

The same for the rest.

Getting animals that have lived good lives to eat makes an enormous difference in the taste of your food. Make your chicken dishes from 100% whole foods sourced ingredients. You'll find a huge, huge improvement in flavor.

Buy San-J low sodium tamari/soy sauce.

I'm going to skip cookies in this post, because they will taste so good, you'll want to make them constantly. I can make ridiculous chocolate chip cookies.

To satisfy chocolate/snack cravings while not taking in a lot of calories, get a bag of "semi sweet" chocolate chips (365 whole foods store brand again) and just nibble on those. All the taste and chocolate rush, like 1/10th the calories.

Pizza: a huge post in itself. My pizza recipe is outstanding. My ex used to work in a pizzeria growing up. One of the best in ny. We took her know how and my cooking skills and reproduced it. Perfect whole wheat pizza. Let me know if you want to know how to make it. It's a little advanced and needs some practice to get right.

Edited by loveweary11
  • Like 2
Yup, lol, I am in the capital. Giant Eagle is a tad expensive for me, but I do like going there and getting olive oil, beer, and nuts. Other than that, we always go to Kroger. Aldis is consistently the cheapest place to get food, but it use to only accept debit cards or checks (we are credit card users). They recently expanded to credit cards, so I think I will start going there more often.

Summer, salmon is particularly easy to make. I probably make it once a week for my hubby (I buy several fillets, which end up lasting for most of the week). All I do is mix 1/4 c. of olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, and lemon juice in a bowl and let the salmon marinade in it.

You can either bake or cook it on the stovetop, so easy!

Good luck on the cooking, really the hardest part is the clean up. :o

It's too expensive for us, too, but it's one of our few choices. They currently have two packages of celery for $3, and other sales like that - have done for about a month now - so I've been stocking up. I want to check out Trader Joe's, but we don't have one. I'm going to try growing some of my own food.

Sorry for the off-topic, Summer.

MuddyFootprints

It's interesting to read everyone's tried and proven ways of preparing their favourite meals.

Seasoning is a matter of taste, so taste as you go.

Timing and temperature is crucial when preparing most proteins. There are techniques that need to be experimented with and fine-tuned.

I still google to double check times and temperatures and I rely on my meat thermometer more often than I'd like.

• Author

I'm going to skip cookies in this post, because they will taste so good, you'll want to make them constantly. I can make ridiculous chocolate chip cookies.

To satisfy chocolate/snack cravings while not taking in a lot of calories, get a bag of "semi sweet" chocolate chips (365 whole foods store brand again) and just nibble on those. All the taste and chocolate rush, like 1/10th the calories.

Pizza: a huge post in itself. My pizza recipe is outstanding. My ex used to work in a pizzeria growing up. One of the best in ny. We took her know how and my cooking skills and reproduced it. Perfect whole wheat pizza. Let me know if you want to know how to make it. It's a little advanced and needs some practice to get right.

Thank you so much!!!

I cannot promise I'll go to Whole Foods because last time I went there I had to take a second mortgage out on my house. (JK) Seriously, we walked out with two bags of groceries and it cost $100. Stop and Shop has a huge organic vegetable section.

I'm going to try your pasta recipe it sounds easy enough to make and probably much healthier than the jar stuff I've been eating.

For the record I wouldn't eat animals at all. I'm not so fond of people but animals are amazing and I think it's barbaric that we still eat them. I never eat pigs since they are as intelligent as dogs. My husband refuses to go without meat so I need to walk a balance. I ALWAYS buy cage free organic eggs.

I'm not ready to make pizza but I wanna hear the cookie recipe:love:

• Like 1
loveweary11
Thank you so much!!!

I cannot promise I'll go to Whole Foods because last time I went there I had to take a second mortgage out on my house. (JK) Seriously, we walked out with two bags of groceries and it cost $100. Stop and Shop has a huge organic vegetable section.

I'm going to try your pasta recipe it sounds easy enough to make and probably much healthier than the jar stuff I've been eating.

For the record I wouldn't eat animals at all. I'm not so fond of people but animals are amazing and I think it's barbaric that we still eat them. I never eat pigs since they are as intelligent as dogs. My husband refuses to go without meat so I need to walk a balance. I ALWAYS buy cage free organic eggs.

I'm not ready to make pizza but I wanna hear the cookie recipe:love:

That's because you looked at a jar of sauce, not the basic ingredients that will make you sauce for a dozen pasta meals.

If you buy non prepared foods (flour, canned tomatoes, spices), the price is the same at whole foods as any orher grocery store. Buy the 365 store brand of everything.

I won't go without meat either. Realize men have a higher requirement for both calories and protein to just maintain our bodies. It's hard to get that from a salad and quinoa. :lmao: Makes us want to go on a rampage when under nourished. Actually gets me angry.

Chocolate chip cookies: bye bye weight loss...

You MUST use the chips and the Madagascar vanilla extract from Whole foods, or they won't be good. No sub par Nestle or Hershey chocolate! Even Ghrardelli chips are marginal.. Valrhona chips will work though. Good ingredients are why my food knocks people on their @ss. Cheap ingredients means lousy tasting food. There is no way around that. Garbage in = garbage out.

get out a mixing dish

melt 1 stick of butter and put it in

put a cup of sugar in, little dab of molasses to make that brown sugar is optional

put in a teaspoon of vanilla extract

(taste this base...yum!)

put 1 egg in

stir the egg in smooth

Add white, all purpose flour and a teaspoon or less of baking powder.

Keep adding flour and stirring until it's cookie dough.

Or... about 1.5 cups. But learn to add flour to consistency to get good in the kitchen.

Fold in as many chocolate chips as you like in your cookies

I PILE THEM IN!! :lmao:

Take a spoon and a dry cookie sheet (do not grease the pan) and scoop out little walnut size dollops of the cookie dough, placing it in dollop form, all in a ball, on the cookie sheet.

Each dollop well spaced from the next.

Bake at 350 until just barely starting to brown the tiniest bit or just starting to look hard.

Note: You WILL getfat from these and will get addicted. I think meth is a lot less addictive. I highly suggest not making these cookies until you are done your spring weight loss challenge.

Remember how you had the willpower to eat only 2 cookies? You will have problems doing that with these! :lmao:

Just buy cookies without the word "hydrogenated" appearing in the label for now. In lower quality food stores, the "Simply Made" chocolate chip cookie brand is actually made properly. Get those. They don't taste as good as these so you'll have less chance of over eating.

Edited by loveweary11