I'm 6ft and 140lbs.

Over the summer I had a trainer and went to the gym twice a week. My schedule changed (single dad, work, and I went back to school) in the fall and I haven't been back to the gym since and dont have the money for a trainer anymore.

I need to get back tho ASAP!

I have the membership still...I have a weight bench with an attachment for legs as well as 100lbs of free weights..I have a set of 10, 20, 30lb dumb bells...I have a Power Tower (chin ups, pull ups, crunches etc..) and I have one of those boards you place on the ground that have handles for different types of push-ups...

But where do I start! I look at it all and go "what should I do?" I walk into the gym and without a trainer I feel lost and have no idea what machine to use, how long or how much to do.

I know at my size I need to CONSUME calories first and foremost but when it comes to the routine to adopt and such I'm lost and overwhelmed.

Any suggestions, routines, ideas?

Anyone wanna be my "cyber trainer" and help me?

Is there a lifters' gym near enough? They are usually cheaper than commercial gym and they teach you the technique

thefooloftheyear

You don't need a trainer.....

There is TONS of great info out there....But honestly, If you can find the book "Education of a Bodybuilder" by Arnold Schwarzenegger. you can't do much better than that...The book was written probably 40 years ago, but the same rules still apply..

Don't be misled by the title...Great info in that book for beginners...Diet and training related....

DON'T get drawn in by the "fad of the week" when it comes to training...The basic movements still rule, IMO..To each his/her own, but I know what works and what doesn't....There are no shortcuts or tricks...Hard work and dedication pay off dividends..

Good luck..

TFY

• Like 1
  • Author
Is there a lifters' gym near enough? They are usually cheaper than commercial gym and they teach you the technique

I have a gym directly across the street from my house, it couldnt get more accessible then that! But dont know where to start once I walk in!

Find a Planet Fitness. They have unlimited FREE training sessions that should get you going and they are the cheapest gym by far I have found. You can usually get a deal for $10 a month or $20 a month that includes guests and their relaxation room.

I have a gym directly across the street from my house, it couldnt get more accessible then that! But dont know where to start once I walk in!

I'm assuming it's a commercial, ordinary gym. Is there one where power and olympic lifters train? Those places have coaches that will show you what to do and give you a programme

Find a Planet Fitness. They have unlimited FREE training sessions that should get you going and they are the cheapest gym by far I have found. You can usually get a deal for $10 a month or $20 a month that includes guests and their relaxation room.

No, don't do this. Find a proper old school lifters' gym where you can train cheap and well

• Like 2

Mike Mathews.

Check out his site. EVERYTHING you need to know about bodybuilding can be found there and in his books.

Read, learn, and just do it! His program works. It's all just basic science. Doing the work is the hard part ...but well worth the effort.