Anybody know or have any good programs?

I don't have a technical program, but when going to the gym, I first do 20 minutes of cardio in the form of either elliptical, bike, treadmill, or stairs, then for the next 40 minutes I visit some weight training machines (10reps, 3x each).

It doesn't become boring if I change machines each workout.

Good luck and good job for starting!

Hey guys. Just started gyming. I need a program that i could start to use and develop into my workout. Know any good ones??

Thank you.

My advice would be to avoid the 'machines' and learn how to perform compound movements and bodyweight exercises.

Back squat, front squat, overhead squat (if your gym allows you to do them), deadlift, clean & jerk (if your gym allows you to do them), snatch (if your gym allows you to do them).

The machines are designed to very literally use single muscles in your body. And they use those isolated muscles in the most medical sense - concentric movement followed by eccentric movement. Scientists looking at cadavers to figure out how to use a muscle inspired this kind of training. You're not dead so it might not be that functional for you.

On the other hand, when squatting a barbell, you must balance the bar, recruit the muscles in your legs to generate power, recruit your core to transfer power while maintaining balance, and push through the floor. The squat, which is a "lower body exercise" is a tremendous way to strengthen your upper body as well.

The thing is, as human beings, we're built to run around, move things, fight things, climb things etc. So we get best results when doing exercises that approximate what our body was meant to do - total body movements.

The key is you will need someone to teach you how to do the compound movements properly. After all if it were easy like the machines you could just do it :) but the rewards are great.

anonymousbear00101100

Well it really depends on what your goal is. Mine was lose weight and build muscle. Here's what I've been doing the past few months:

Monday & Thursday - Chest/Triceps/Abs

Tuesday & Friday - Biceps/Back/Obliques

Wednesday & Saturday - Legs

Sunday - Shoulders/Cardio

It's worked well for me so far

How long is a piece of string?

What are you trying to achieve? Lose fat? Train at a specific sport? To be a decent runner? To get bigger and more muscular? To get stronger? What?

• Like 3
Well it really depends on what your goal is. Mine was lose weight and build muscle. Here's what I've been doing the past few months:

Monday & Thursday - Chest/Triceps/Abs

Tuesday & Friday - Biceps/Back/Obliques

Wednesday & Saturday - Legs

Sunday - Shoulders/Cardio

It's worked well for me so far

You would save masses of time if you did compound lifts 3 times a week for an hour. You would build muscle faster too than you are currently doing by too much isolation work by the looks of it.

• Like 1
fitnessfan365
You would save masses of time if you did compound lifts 3 times a week for an hour. You would build muscle faster too than you are currently doing by too much isolation work by the looks of it.

Very good post! I'm a big advocate of full body workouts / compound exercises myself.

Two really redundant split workouts - chest/triceps and back/biceps. Anytime you press something your triceps are being worked and anytime you pull something, your biceps are being worked. So if you stick to one big compound for chest like a bench press, weighted push-ups, or dips, both muscle groups are sufficiently worked off 3-5 sets of that one exercise. Just like if you were to do a row or weighted pull-up/chin-up. Same thing. Your back and biceps are both sufficiently worked with the one movement.

A more efficient routine IMO :

Mon - Weighted push-ups or bench press, deep squats, barbel row

Wed - Standing overhead military press, deadlifts, weighted pull-ups

Friday - Weighted Dips, walking lunges, renegade rows

3-4 sets each exercise. As well as on core movement per workout and 15-20 minutes of high intensity conditioning as a finisher to round out each hour.

• Like 2
fitnessfan365
It's not redundant. The split is formulated that way on purpose. Bench press works chest and triceps. So, if you want to work bench press on Mon, Monday becomes chest and tripcep day. You just add in other exercises that also work those same muscles. That is the method behind most very popular, tried and true workout splits.

You just proved my point though.

Example - Bench press works chest and triceps. Yet various research indicates that a muscle group is sufficiently worked w/micro tears for strength gain after 3-5 sets of that ONE exercise. So when you spend another 45-60 minutes doing a variety of chest and tricep movements, they're not accomplishing anything extra. You're essentially just beating a dead horse with overkill.

That's why full body and compound exercises are so much more efficient. You use multi-jointed movements to sufficiently work each muscle group in the fewest amount of exercises possible. Also since you're training your whole body, you burn more calories and get more metabolic benefit over isolation movements. Plus, you wind up only having to train 3x per week as opposed to 5 or 6. This opens up a few days per week strictly for athletic performance training and conditioning which will help carry over into your lifting as well.

• Like 1
fitnessfan365
You don't have to convince me of all this, bro. You should try and convince guys like Arnold Schwarzenegger that his workout methods were incorrect.

I don't know why you keep talking about compound movements, because bench press is a compound movement.

Haha.. of course bench is a compound movement. I am talking about combing a series of them - push, pull, and lower into one full body workout. But let's be real man . Arnold wasn't natural. He fully admits to using steroids which enhances results from anything you do lifting wise. Also, it does depend on goals. If you're into body-building and are specially going for symmetry, I can see why you'd want to do isolation work. But the average person isn't trying to be a body builder. They just want the most effective way to get in shape, increase strength, and lose fat. So for general non body builders, full body workouts are more advantageous.

I mean think about it. Let's take back/biceps for instance. Say you do barbel rows, then seated rows, then lat pull-downs, then pull-ups/chin-ups, etc.. With all of those back exercises your biceps are already working and then some. So then why would you proceed to throw even more individual bicep work on top of it? Not to mention your back already being worked after just one of those pulling movements. So that's why I see it as a waste of time to do splits/isolation assuming a person isn't trying to be a body builder. I mean take weighted chin-ups. Do five sets of that and you're getting just as good of a bicep workout than you would with 15 sets of curls over three different bicep movements.

Edited by fitnessfan365
  • Like 2

I think compound lifts that work your full body trigger growth hormones more. It's also much easier to make sure your physique is balanced. Less pressure to train on certain days to have your legs catch up with your upper body etc. Just easier and more efficient

• Like 2
  • Author
sowhatwedonow

Hey everyone thanks for all the advice. Im a thin guy so im really tryna put on some muscle mainly. Im an athlete as well so i do exercises for fitness and so on. But my main goal right now is to throw on some muscle. Im not like really thin but im tall so i look a bit more slim than i should

So yeah my goal in the gym is to put on some muscle. Ik nutrition and bulking is also needed and taking some supplements.

Then the posts on lifts are very relevant to you. You need to learn your big compound lifts: deadlift, squat, bench and shoulder press. Start with a beginner program such as Starting Strength (Mark Rippetoe) or Strong Lift 5 x 5. Then progress to 5/3/1 program - but that's not for beginners.

You absolutely have to learn how to lift with proper form though otherwise you'll ruin your body. Ideally find a lifters' gym, commercial places don't tend to have the right gear and the men can't lift for shlt.

Read up on periodisation and programming to understand how the body works. Most importantly, ignore pretty much everything you see in a commercial gym. Isolation exercises take a long time and they aren't as effective.

http://www.t-nation.com

• Like 1