If I weigh let's say 200 lbs, and put on 500 lbs worth of weights and a weighted vest, then do a full range of motion pull up, would this be world class?

• Like 1

World class? There aren't that many people walking around deadlifting 700lb let alone doing a pullup with 500lbs strapped to them.

• Author
World class? There aren't that many people walking around deadlifting 700lb let alone doing a pullup with 500lbs strapped to them.

Would this top closing a captains of crush #4 as far as grip strength goes?

I want to be able to do it so I can pass up chimps in pull up strength

Would this top closing a captains of crush #4 as far as grip strength goes?

I want to be able to do it so I can pass up chimps in pull up strength

I'm not sure what the tension of a No4 CoC is but there are plenty of great ways to develop grip strength, deadlifting being one of the best. Ed Coan has a good way of doing it, by gripping the middle of the bar in a rack loaded a few inches below your waist. i.e. gripping the bar on your side holding for time and weight.. at his strongest I think he managed 500lb each hand for 30 seconds.

Farmers walks for weight and distance are also amazing. Grab a pair of fat gripz and have a go. Forearm size and strength for days.

• Like 1
If I weigh let's say 200 lbs, and put on 500 lbs worth of weights and a weighted vest, then do a full range of motion pull up, would this be world class?

Don't do it man, it's not worth the future possible injuries.

I am almost certain my shoulder injury was from doing weighted dips. I use to strap on ridiculous amounts. It never felt too much till that one time where it hurt me and forced me to step back. Years later I finally got an MRI, surgery and still recovering.

• Like 1

It's hard to define world class when none of is are world class athletes.

I saw this a while ago and you reminded me of it. Oakman is a 275 lb man so he's doing reps at 1.4x his body weight. You are looking to do them at 3.5x your body weight. Now this guy isn't the best in the world but my point is that 3.5x is a pretty fantastical target.

• Like 1

I weigh 165 and I can do a pullup with 135lbs on me why don't you try doing a pull up w say 170lbs on you first big guy lol. Before going for that 500

Given that the world record is 402 pounds (including bodyweight), this is either a troll post or someone completely untrained.

• Author
Given that the world record is 402 pounds (including bodyweight), this is either a troll post or someone completely untrained.

Just because I dream big doesn't mean I'm a troll, loser.

• Like 1
  • Author
OP, how many pull ups can you do without weights?

Have not repped out in months but 25 on a good day and 30 if I had a little extra in the tank

• Author

And by the way, I have been lifting for years and at one time was stronger than most men (being only 21)

If everyone had your mentality no one would ever set and break monster world records.

• Author
I weigh 165 and I can do a pullup with 135lbs on me why don't you try doing a pull up w say 170lbs on you first big guy lol. Before going for that 500

You are dumb if you think I'm just going to throw on 500 lbs and do a pull up, which in this case it looks like you believe that

• Author
It's hard to define world class when none of is are world class athletes.

I saw this a while ago and you reminded me of it. Oakman is a 275 lb man so he's doing reps at 1.4x his body weight. You are looking to do them at 3.5x your body weight. Now this guy isn't the best in the world but my point is that 3.5x is a pretty fantastical target.

It is, but who in the hell wants to work super hard to reach and settle at things that have already been done? I've always believed, when it comes to weight lifting, that my ultimate goal is never met until I do something that's never been done, or was thought to be impossible

• Author
Don't do it man, it's not worth the future possible injuries.

I am almost certain my shoulder injury was from doing weighted dips. I use to strap on ridiculous amounts. It never felt too much till that one time where it hurt me and forced me to step back. Years later I finally got an MRI, surgery and still recovering.

Injury is definitely a risk, but I have a ways to go before reaching this pull up feat

Why don't you not worry about it until you can do 100 lbs. ;)

Drink a lot of beer. You can put on another 100 pounds in no time. :laugh:

The world record pull up is 402 pounds of combined body weight and dead weight.

The Guinness World Record site is down for uploads but the result can still be seen in a google search.

• Author
Why don't you not worry about it until you can do 100 lbs. ;)

Drink a lot of beer. You can put on another 100 pounds in no time. :laugh:

I'm sure I could do 100 lbs, but I don't have a way to put that much additional weight on me. I have a 50 lb weighted vest I use

I'm sure I could do 100 lbs, but I don't have a way to put that much additional weight on me. I have a 50 lb weighted vest I use

Then how do you plan to do 700 pounds?

• Author
Then how do you plan to do 700 pounds?

I'm going to get a vest that has holes for ropes or chains, and puts the weights on them. Would have to show a visual to explain it better

I have tendonitis today from doing a gazillion bw pull ups at a friends house last night, even thinking about training grip and doing pull ups hurts

I'm going to get a vest that has holes for ropes or chains, and puts the weights on them. Would have to show a visual to explain it better

You do know that you will never do 700 pounds, right?

If you are serious about maxing out, then make your vest and quite talking about it. But expect to injure yourself and lose the ability to do any pull ups.

• Like 1

I have tendonitis today from doing a gazillion bw pull ups at a friends house last night, even thinking about training grip and doing pull ups hurts

Lol bro you will never touch 700lb. Not to burst your bubble but I recommend you find a more productive goal to work towards. I've pulled 650lb at 250lb bodyweight and let me tell you that was the single hardest feat of my life. A 700lb pullup doesn't even seem attainable, and the person that does do that will be a genetic outlier on copious amounts of illegal substances who trains for that event and that event ONLY. I can't even comprehend 700lbs hanging off the shoulder joint with no lumbar, glute or hamstring support.

I also just read you have tendonitis. If you want to tear both bicep tendons like I have this seems like the right way to go.

Edited by lchf
  • Author
Lol bro you will never touch 700lb. Not to burst your bubble but I recommend you find a more productive goal to work towards. I've pulled 650lb at 250lb bodyweight and let me tell you that was the single hardest feat of my life. A 700lb pullup doesn't even seem attainable, and the person that does do that will be a genetic outlier on copious amounts of illegal substances who trains for that event and that event ONLY. I can't even comprehend 700lbs hanging off the shoulder joint with no lumbar, glute or hamstring support.

I also just read you have tendonitis. If you want to tear both bicep tendons like I have this seems like the right way to go.

I bet you I will. It will take a long time, but who cares There were people (pro lifters even) who at one time no way, absolutely no way anyone ever benches close to 1000 lbs. That the amount of stress is just too much for any human. Many years later, it was done. And now there have been 3 or 4 men to do it. i will also work towards closing a ghp 10 gripper, which is something that is said to be impossible right now because the generic freaks in grip strength can't even come that close.