eating while exercising?

i know that some people will eat a power bar or whatever while cycling/hiking/walking and etc. and that runners often take a clif bar or shot of something to refuel on a run. so... what about eating a small dinner or snack while you're running on the treadmill or biking on the stationary bike, or elliptical, or whatever? i tried it last night and shaved 20 minutes off of my nightly routine; combining dinner w/a mindless exercise saved me a lot of time. any reason why i shouldn't do this on biking/treadmill days? it is ok, you think?

Never bought in to that idea. I always preferred cardio on a completely empty stomach. Supposed to burn fat easier this way.

• Like 1

If you keep it in the realm of being easily digested, go for it. The problem with full meals is that big ole stomach muscle takes a lot of blood and oxygen to run and it takes away from other stuff. Perhaps not an issue on the treadmill but definitely one in the hills when one is anaerobic.

What I learned to do with endurance cycling is eat early and eat small. Same with hydration. Don't wait until hungry or thirsty. By then it's too late. Might as well start an IV :D

• Like 2

Not sure how you could possibly do effective cardio and eat without puking it right back up.

Are you just walking?

• Like 3

Ha! I've never heard of this. Seems good for efficiency's sake, but I can't imagine your body can do a lot of digesting when it's also doing cardio.

• Like 2
  • Author
Not sure how you could possibly do effective cardio and eat without puking it right back up.

Are you just walking?

no, i said if you use a stationary machine, like a bike or stairclimber, or low-speed treadmill or elliptical.

no, i said if you use a stationary machine, like a bike or stairclimber, or low-speed treadmill or elliptical.

I did mean walking on the treadmill... any cardio that's at the right level to get your heart rate into cardio territory should make you first, so winded, you can't eat.. and second, just about puke up any food you would eat.

Anything less and it's not cardio... because your heart rate is too low.

So... certainly you could walk/bike slow and eat. People do that all the time walking around town or a fair or something.

Edited by loveweary11
  • Like 2

If your training is intensive, an hour is enough therefore you don't need to worry about saving time. People that spend 2-3 hours in a gym are usually the ones that are completely wasting their time and not getting results. I see them on a bike reading :confused: while I do my warm ups, lifts, support exercises, stretches. What's the point of that?

• Like 2
  • Author
If your training is intensive, an hour is enough therefore you don't need to worry about saving time. People that spend 2-3 hours in a gym are usually the ones that are completely wasting their time and not getting results. I see them on a bike reading :confused: while I do my warm ups, lifts, support exercises, stretches. What's the point of that?

saving time!! :)

I just had a small breakfast burrito. No meat, no beans, just whole grain rice, some salsa and a small bit of cheese on a 8" flour tortilla (not those huge ones). Easy to eat and digest. Something like that was common at sag stops where we were offered hot food. Of course, they had eggs and sausage too but that stuff tore me up so no bueno. Something in the hand, simple, easy on the stomach. I tended to want to keep going because standing around made me stiff. Kinda like staying on the treadmill and eating. The sag stops were normally on the flats or at the tops of hills before a downhill so the riding was easy.

I prefer intense workouts. Therefore, I can't really eat much otherwise I'll puke it up. But hey if your workout isn't very intense than feel free to eat.

thefooloftheyear
saving time!! :)

I eat 8-10 times a day and run two separate companies...I also have a family/kid....

I never found a scenario where I needed to eat at the gym to save time...

You wouldn't happen to be a one armed paper-hanger???...:p

But seriously..

Here is another angle....and its vital to anyone hoping to get the full desired effect of any exercise/training regimen...

Focus....

I still cant believe how many people do "other things" while they exercise/train...., eat, talk, text, pose, daydream, clock watch, check out womens asses, etc...

ANY of this activity will thwart your progress, IMO...

I go to the gym with a single purpose at hand...I fully believe that results of any type of training can never be optimized without the mind/body connection..When I am training a specific bodypart or movement, all I am thinking about is the physiological effects of what I am trying to accomplish...And I believe this is the way to optimize my time and be most efficient...

.02 for what its worth....:)

TFY

• Like 1
thefooloftheyear
Dude that's extremely hard to avoid.

Word.....

just a quick glance...dont lose focus on the goal...:laugh:

TFY

Are you just walking?

Dinner and mindless exercise?

I'd think the exercise is pretty much worthless if you're able to eat a dinner while doing it.

• Like 1
  • Author

i'm surprised by how many people take things so literally, or just can't read a question. only like 3 people gave decent responses because they can actually read. i'm not talking a 4-course meal here people... but you see runners eating on the run all the time - protein bars, a shake, whatever they take along. surely having a sandwich and light snack (like yogurt or fruit) can't be harmful while running on the treadmill or light, stationary exercising.

i'm surprised by how many people take things so literally, or just can't read a question. only like 3 people gave decent responses because they can actually read. i'm not talking a 4-course meal here people... but you see runners eating on the run all the time - protein bars, a shake, whatever they take along. surely having a sandwich and light snack (like yogurt or fruit) can't be harmful while running on the treadmill or light, stationary exercising.

I can read a question. You used the word dinner. Your choice of words is important.

I'm a triathlete. So, surely I understand how to fuel on the go. And no, we don't eat protein bars when running or biking, and we sure don't eat sandwiches or (blech! dairy! when running???? GOD!) a yogurt.

Do you know how runners fuel when physically moving and exerting themselves? Gu and shot blocks and maybe a bite of a stinger. Basically, straight glycogen and electrolytes. Do you know what those are, what the texture is, how many calories are contained in a single bite? They're not sandwiches, they don't require full blown chewing or even digestion by your stomach. They're instant fuel, for the sole purpose of getting calories and glycogen to your muscles... not nutrition into your body, which is the purpose of a dinner or real meal.

Edited by dobielover
  • Like 3
thefooloftheyear

I dunno....I understood it clearly....

Do whatever you want.....I just cant see how someone can "not have time" to eat....

I just cant picture it....

I mean, when I am exercising, I am usually short of breath...Other than fresh air or an occasional drink of water, why would I now want to put food in my mouth, chew, and consume..??

Doesn't seem to make sense....*shrug*

TFY

• Like 1

Ha, I thought the whole thing was quite funny, actually!

Seriously though, I don't think it would HURT you to eat and exercise at the same time, but again your body is so busy sending blood to your arms and legs that I can't imagine it has much to spare to send to your stomach at the same time.

I'm also not sure it's the same thing as runners or weightlifters—don't they eat to refuel because they've spent all the energy they have and need more? I can't imagine that's the case for an hour on the elliptical.

No offense, but I find it a bit of an odd choice, newmoon (and kind of a funny visual). I'd say, unless you're extremely short on time, work out and then eat. Though, again I doubt you're harming yourself by doing it.

• Like 1
I'm also not sure it's the same thing as runners or weightlifters—don't they eat to refuel because they've spent all the energy they have and need more?

Yes. It's energy replacement, to refuel to be able to keep going. It's not a meal.

The point is that doing light stationary exercise is a waste of time. My sister's boyfriend takes supplements with him because he is an ultra marathon runner and does up to 80 kms. Reading a book, pedalling slowly on a bike isn't the same and doesn't count as exercise or training. Put more focus into what you are doing, work harder and only spend an hour.

• Like 4
Yes. It's energy replacement, to refuel to be able to keep going. It's not a meal.

Yep! I got that, it was more of a rhetorical question. :)

i know that some people will eat a power bar or whatever while cycling/hiking/walking and etc. and that runners often take a clif bar or shot of something to refuel on a run. so... what about eating a small dinner or snack while you're running on the treadmill or biking on the stationary bike, or elliptical, or whatever? i tried it last night and shaved 20 minutes off of my nightly routine; combining dinner w/a mindless exercise saved me a lot of time. any reason why i shouldn't do this on biking/treadmill days? it is ok, you think?

It depends on what you're trying to do.

If you're a competitive athlete trying to increase your performance in preparation for a race, eat something if it allows you to train more effectively.

If you're just a regular person trying to strengthen your heart and keep of the blubber, exercise on an empty stomach and eat after you exercise.

I mean, when I am exercising, I am usually short of breath...Other than fresh air or an occasional drink of water, why would I now want to put food in my mouth, chew, and consume..??

TFY

And... i can barely get water down usually, between breaths.

You have to drink, then the lung burn starts, then you have to stop drinking and breathe, then drink more after a few breaths. Could never, ever eat working out.

.......your body is so busy sending blood to your arms and legs that I can't imagine it has much to spare to send to your stomach at the same time.

Precisely. Your skeletal muscles and the smooth muscles lining your stomach are powered by two different nervous systems, the sympathetic(voluntary actions)and the parasympathetic(involuntary actions), respectfully. These two nervous systems cannot work in full flight simultaneously. So when you exercise, your parasympathetic nervous system slows down, which slows down your digestion, so that the sympathetic nervous system can take over which allows you to work your skeletal muscles. This is why nutritionists advise to eat a meal 2-3 hours before exercising. Digestion can only be efficient at rest(excluding during sleep).

• Like 1