Lifting Problems Bro!

I tend to work really hard at things.

If I'm doing physical work I'm at 100% physical capacity all day.

If I'm doing mental work, it's the same.

Doing average 12 hours of office work on weekdays (not mentally taxing) leaves me feeling good and able to lift.

Doing more intense physical work or creative brain work leaves me too weak, physically, to lift.

I use all my energy in those cases.

How do people deal with this?

I can't go down in weight because I exercise at home using a set of 60lb dumbbells.

On weak/tired days, i can't do the proper reps and am close to accident/injury.

Does anyone else have these problems?

It's frustrating because I have to choose between getting things done and looking my best.

Edited by loveweary11

May I humbly suggest buying a set of smaller or variable weights? That way you can lift a little bit less if you're not feeling 100%. Better that than injuring yourself and being out of it for longer.

Do you do regular exercise? I do cross fit at least 3x a week and cardio or zumba the other days. Look into more protein as well, will make you less tired. In school I have clinicals and keep hard boiled eggs as extra protein (super long and hard days for me)

Edited by sportygirl89

Dumbbells come in many sizes, not just 60 lbs.;) So do resistance bands.

Personally, I'm a fan of mixing up my exercise routine. No two days are the same in the week. That's one of the best ways to prevent overuse injuries.

• Author

I'm comfortable with 60's.

Also, it's a high performance boat, so every pound counts. Can't have multiple sets of weights.

As to adjustable, I can't find a set that is heavy enough.

I do already intake tons of protein and lift the 60's 3x or 4x a week (typically 3x a week)

Crossfit doesn't help me reach my goals. Wrong type of workout. I need pure weight lifting to maintain my body. Naturally skinny. Have to load up protein, calories and lift without cardio to maintain my body.

Resistance bands, if able to provide the same resistance as 50-55lbs dumbbells would help.

But is it normal to use up all your energy sometimes?

The 60's are perfect until I use my energy up elsewhere before working out...

Also, it's a high performance boat, so every pound counts. Can't have multiple sets of weights.

I do already intake tons of protein and lift the 60's 3x or 4x a week (typically 3x a week)

Crossfit doesn't help me reach my goals. Wrong type of workout. I need pure weight lifting to maintain my body. Naturally skinny. Have to load up protein, calories and lift without cardio to maintain my body.

Resistance bands, if able to provide the same resistance as 50-55lbs dumbbells would help.

In a word, yes.

My ex is a skinny guy and he lifts religiously. Still, there are some days he's too tired, either from a previous workout or a long day at the office. But even putting in 3 to 5 sessions a week is enough for him to gain and maintain.

I didn't realize you lived on a boat. The heaviest variable dumbbells I've been able to find are 50 pounders. I have a set of 25s, but I'm a lightweight.

• Like 1
IResistance bands, if able to provide the same resistance as 50-55lbs dumbbells would help.

Resistance bands come in all thicknesses. There are tons of different brands and options, but here's an example: GoFit Super Band - 60-150 lbs

Very travel-friendly, especially compared to dumbbells! :)

• Like 1

If its a good cross fit it will have a lifting skill (overhead, snatch, clean, squatting (front and back), deadlift, strict press. I've gained so much muscle mass from crossfit. Lifting skill is usually part of the work out every day.

If its a good cross fit it will have a lifting skill (overhead, snatch, clean, squatting (front and back), deadlift, strict press. I've gained so much muscle mass from crossfit. Lifting skill is usually part of the work out every day.

No offense, SG, but my ex and all his no-neck, 'roid-head, gym rat buddies tend to deride crossfit. It's not everyone's preference.

• Like 3
  • Author

I need none of these.

I need hammer curls, a type of movement I made up to work back/shoulders at once, bench press and these sort of "upside down pushups" I do to work triceps.

I have huge forearms naturally (look like popeye when I don't work out), big leg muscles from a lifetime of hiking, skating, snowboarding and walking miles and miles just for fun.

Lifting is "usually" part of the work out??

If I'm not lifting, it's not a workout. It's losing muscle.

If I'm doing cardio, I'm losing muscle that's extremely difficult to build. I can't afford that type of setback.

Only cardio I get in is fast walking (many miles) and kayaking (i do everything at my peak... i used to ride centuries on road bikes as well, so I just ramp up to peak with everything I do). Even riding a mountain bike around town, I go as fast as possible at all times hitting jumps, hopping curbs etc...

Also, it's probably not understood by many, but living on a boat works you out constantly at a low level. Your muscles are constantly flexing to keep balance, even sitting still ot lying down.

The motion of a boat makes for incredible yoga sessions for women aboard. It also makes my dumbbell work outs more intense because the floor is moving below you while you lift.

Then, if I'm traveling, i have a 200' of 5/8" chain attached to an 80lbs anchor to pull up daily with a manual windlass.

All that, but grocery shopping might be tghe biggest workout.

Get groceries, walk or bike them back to dock (quickly because it's the tropics). Load them into the small boat (not easy like a car), zoom out to the big boat, lift all groceries onto a flight of stairs at chest height. Get onto stairs and carry all groceries up the stairs, then down 2 other flights of stairs,

Run out of water? Haul it from shore, up those stairs groceries were on, in 7 gallon jugs until you've filled 100 gallons.

My daily life puts cross fit to shame. :lmao:

I just need to lift to build large muscles in my naturally smaller upper body to be attractive to women. Purely cosmetic.

Note: Got rid of my car too... I walk everywhere...

Edited by loveweary11
  • Author

Now that I read that, maybe my daily life is part of why I'm too tired to lift at full capacity sometimes!

• Like 1

Ironmaster.

I had a set of Powerblocks before Ironmaster's. The Powerblocks switch weight faster, but they clack, don't feel solid and I hate that. Plus they look weird.

The Ironmaster's take less than 60sec to change weight around once you get use to it and feel like hex dumbbells. Very solid. I like their bench too. Goes flat, incline, decline and can be converted to do dips and pull-ups with attachments.

Package 4 in Packages - Ironmaster

You can start off with a 75lbs set and move to 120lbs when you want too. I just have this for when I don't go to the gym.

• Like 1

Get a TRX for use at home or that can be attached to park equipment. You'd be amazed at what mass you can gain with that damn contraption.

• Like 1
I tend to work really hard at things.

If I'm doing physical work I'm at 100% physical capacity all day.

If I'm doing mental work, it's the same.

Doing average 12 hours of office work on weekdays (not mentally taxing) leaves me feeling good and able to lift.

Doing more intense physical work or creative brain work leaves me too weak, physically, to lift.

I use all my energy in those cases.

How do people deal with this?

I can't go down in weight because I exercise at home using a set of 60lb dumbbells.

On weak/tired days, i can't do the proper reps and am close to accident/injury.

Does anyone else have these problems?

It's frustrating because I have to choose between getting things done and looking my best.

It depends on your goals. You may try upping your carbohydrates a bit to see if it provides you with energy. If you are fine with your carb intake and can tolerate a bit of caffeine that can also help give you a bit of an edge. In term of a home gym, I have the PowerBlocks that go up to 100lbs. I like them for days I am working out a home. As another poster mentioned, they're a bit awkward a first, but super easy and fast to adjust.

• Like 1

My cross fit does do lifting on a daily basis. But you are just going to say no to everything so why even bother asking for help if you aren't going to take our suggestions?

thefooloftheyear

A lot of it is mental....

Because of the type of business I run, I can spend a whole day moving items upwards of 200lbs and go into the gym and kill it...No fatigue...

It does get harder as you age, though...

Try a pre-workout drink...There are several on the market..The "old" Jack3D worked absolutely great for me..Haven't had as much success with other stuff...But I wont let that hold me back..

At the end of the day, though, as long as there is no injury, most of it is mental...Putting yourself in the proper mindset is critical, you have to zone out of the other world and focus 100% on what you hope to accomplish.......Its the reason most people fail at weight training..Look at what they are doing...Checking out girls asses, dicking with their phones, bullshytting with their buddies, etc...and they go nowhere.. .Also, realize that things you could do at 25 you wont be able to do at 40 and so on......I'm 50 and I can still pound iron with anyone, but its not as easy as it once was...

Good luck.

TFY

• Like 2
No offense, SG, but my ex and all his no-neck, 'roid-head, gym rat buddies tend to deride crossfit. It's not everyone's preference.

Crossfit is a very broad brush to paint with. The name doesn't mean much. Basically anyone can open a "Crossfit gym" regardless of their credentials so many of the gyms are amateur outfits, run by people with little professional kinesiology experience, who don't know how to train athletes.

The program is really not meant to 'make you big'. Its meant to improve mobility, total body strength, balance, and even out imbalances and weak links in your strength profile. Its for maintaining general functional fitness, not hypertrophy.

Its not for everyone but for a certain subset of people (new to lifting, willing to be disciplined and not rush or hurt yourself) it can serve as a great introductory course to lifting technique, how to structure workout sessions, and proper rehabilitation.

The Powerblock Elite adjustable dumbbell sets go up to 125lbs. Get a set of those and you should be good. Can only do so much with those 60's.

I will echo what Fool said about a pre-workout drink. They changed the formula on those old Jack3D drinks, so they kinda suck now. I recommend C4. That stuff usually gets me ready to hit the iron.

You can cut cost by just buying the individual components of a good pre-workout and mixing it yourself. Caffeine powder, creatine, beta-alanine.

• Like 1

I don't understand how being mentally taxed would influence your ability to lift. It doesn't really take any brain power to lift weights. Point being, you just need to learn to work though the "tiredness". Find something that motivates you to push though and keep you focused.

• Like 1
  • Author
A lot of it is mental....

Because of the type of business I run, I can spend a whole day moving items upwards of 200lbs and go into the gym and kill it...No fatigue...

It does get harder as you age, though...

Try a pre-workout drink...There are several on the market..The "old" Jack3D worked absolutely great for me..Haven't had as much success with other stuff...But I wont let that hold me back..

At the end of the day, though, as long as there is no injury, most of it is mental...Putting yourself in the proper mindset is critical, you have to zone out of the other world and focus 100% on what you hope to accomplish.......Its the reason most people fail at weight training..Look at what they are doing...Checking out girls asses, dicking with their phones, bullshytting with their buddies, etc...and they go nowhere.. .Also, realize that things you could do at 25 you wont be able to do at 40 and so on......I'm 50 and I can still pound iron with anyone, but its not as easy as it once was...

Good luck.

TFY

Been waiting for your advice, man! Thanks! :laugh:

Ok, will try to see it as a mental issue first, then look into pre workout supplements if I still can't get a full workout in.

I mean, I work out every other day. Sometimes it seems like I'm getting burnt out from the preceding workout.

I mean, my recovery time isn't fast enough. Maybe this is what you mean by "can't do at 40 what you did at 25?"

• Like 1
  • Author
Sometimes you just need to take a break, man. After months and months of lifting I take a week or two off and relax. Take too much time off and you lose gains, but a little bit of time can be rejuvenating. If your workouts are burning you out, now seems like a good time for a break.

These are exactly the times I'm talking about.

I just kind of crap out.

I'm in a crap out week right now. :(

Was supposed to lift today, but got lazy again after kayaking a good distance at my peak output rate.

Sometimes you just need to take a break, man. After months and months of lifting I take a week or two off and relax. Take too much time off and you lose gains, but a little bit of time can be rejuvenating. If your workouts are burning you out, now seems like a good time for a break.

I agree. Bodies are not meant to be pushed to 110% all the time. Rest is essential to making progress and avoiding injury.

When I was losing weight, I would start to get anxious if I got out of the habit of exercising for a few days, like if I was traveling or sick, but I never suffered any unreasonable weight gain during those times. It's alright to have a light week sometimes.

Edited by losangelena
  • Like 1