Any guys here that workout and get more attention from fellow men?

I work out quite a bit and the amount of compliments I've received from men at networking events or parties I've been to, far exceeds the amount I've gotten from women. In fact, I probably can't even count on one hand, the compliments I've gotten from women. :confused: I'm straight too by the way.

speaking as a woman, when I see the guys at the gym who workout all the time I think "high maintenance." If they're really cut and huge I would think they were way into themselves....

I think guys are probably impressed by your physique and routine and want that for themselves, to impress the women they think are impressed by that. We're not.

Spend at the most an hour at the gym and then walk dogs at the shelter or read to the older generation at a rest home.

Way more studly.

just my opinion, YMMV...

• Like 3

I would only compliment you if we were in a relationship OR if I saw you at the gym and was just making a general comment about your physique. I definitely do not go up to guys a professional networking events and discuss their apearance!

You mean compliments from Gay men? I have had this happen at times in my life when I have been very fit. Rarely a gal with be so direct, but it has happened. Gay men tend to be more "out there" with their comments. I don't think I have ever had a straight man compliment my appearance other than to say "your a big guy".

Its all good though - a compliment is a compliment.

Edited by dichotomy
WaitingForBardot

After losing ~50 lbs 7-8 years ago, I did get a bunch of compliments from my wife's female relatives at a large family gathering.

Then later in the day they cornered my wife and asked her if I had cancer! :(

• Like 5

Yeah there are tons of beef sticks at my gym, it's funny to see how other guys compliment them as if they are Gods. It's very admirable how committed these guys are to their physics but I don't necessarily gawk or stare at other men while in the locker rooms, that would just be weird.

• 4 weeks later...

My workout goals aren't to get compliments from other people. Rather to make me feel happy about my health and fitness, which spills over into confidence in my daily life.

hasaquestion
I work out quite a bit and the amount of compliments I've received from men at networking events or parties I've been to, far exceeds the amount I've gotten from women. In fact, I probably can't even count on one hand, the compliments I've gotten from women. :confused: I'm straight too by the way.

It is perfectly normal.

People bond and connect over shared experiences. That's just human nature. Other men see that you work out like they do so they want to talk about it. And getting buff is more a guy thing. Women just want you to be holistically large, they don't care about the details as much.

Don't look at men complimenting you as weird or a problem. Its the opposite. They are trying to socialize with you and connect with you over a common interest. Don't look at women not doing it as a problem either. Life is best when you do things for yourself, and worst when you do them for women.

Men will appreciate a ripped physique way more than most women.

. However, women that are into working out tend to like built men a lot more (at least in my experience). Edited by TheFinalWord
Men will appreciate a ripped physique way more than most women.
. However, women that are into working out tend to like built men a lot more (at least in my experience).

Depends. I respect the effort that goes into having a strong physique but I can also spot guys with show muscles and little strength from a mile away. Men think it's far more important than women do. We often assume that it's compensation for not having a life with much depth. I think a lot of things in life done to excess can look like overcompensation.

fitnessfan365
Depends. I respect the effort that goes into having a strong physique but I can also spot guys with show muscles and little strength from a mile away. Men think it's far more important than women do. We often assume that it's compensation for not having a life with much depth. I think a lot of things in life done to excess can look like overcompensation.

Yeah the more years of dating experience I've gotten, I've come to realize that the things women actually appreciate in men tend to be different than what we think it is. Also, I can see your point about over compensation.

However, I wouldn't say that having passion for something is always about lack of depth either. Take me for example. I'm a personal trainer, passionate about health/fitness, etc.. However, a huge motivator for this is my family history. There is so many medical issues on both sides. Even both my parents have had cancer - mom w/thyroid and dad w/kidney. Plus, my dad was a multi-letter athlete at UCLA and almost played pro ball. Yet, after he got injured he made no effort to rehab and completely let himself go. So from a young age, I was always driven never to be an athlete that peaked early on but to stay fit my whole life. I take pride in being able to still do things at 35, that I could when I was 22. In fact, I'd say I'm in even better condition. So I'm very happy with my life but have a lot of outside motivation and passion to workout 6x per week.

** But, I do think it's awesome you have an appreciation for strength. I've personally always admired strength and athletic performance over physique.

thefooloftheyear

I train for me,,,,I like strength training and built a body that works for me....I also have quite a few outdoor endeavors and my career is very physical at times, so being big and strong also helps me there...

But the concept some women adopt that without any knowledge of a persons character, (just by appearance alone) they can make a judgement that a guy that is big/muscular is "too into himself, narcissistic or overcompensating"....is ridiculous...That's like saying any woman with large breasts is an attention seeker....Its silly...

Like anything in life...If you strive to rise above the ordinary, then there are going to be haters or people that will poke holes in it...The key is to not give a shyt about those folks opinions...Its as simple as that..

TFY

• Like 1

I don't think that's strange. My ex had, very noticeably, put on 30 pounds of muscle, and so many of the men he knew were so impressed. I think there was an element of, not jealousy exactly, but that other men were like, "he looks good, I should do that!" So yeah, he got male comments left and right. From women, not so much. Even me, I would tell him how proud of him I was, but from a physique standpoint, I didn't really care what he looked like.

• Like 1
SnapCracklePop

Some years ago I decided to hit the gym on a regular basis. I lost a bunch of weight and got pretty nicely toned - nothing magazine cover-ish.. just a healthy physique. The guys at work did give compliments, and I think it was more like them just telling me "good job" and encouraging the effort I was putting into myself. There were a couple other guys that also lost some weight and we all complimented those guys too.

I don't see this as unusual behaviour - particularly if it is coming from friends and acquaintances.

I have definitely given compliments, but it is more in line with what the above poster said. I'll compliment because I notice the guy is going through a transformation and I want to encourage. There is also a masculine way to provide these compliments ;)

speaking as a woman, when I see the guys at the gym who workout all the time I think "high maintenance." If they're really cut and huge I would think they were way into themselves....

Every guy with a decent body will look high maintenance while at the gym. That includes those who are not high maintenance and go only 3 times a week.

Maybe it's just bro-admiration, and nothing sexual? I noted also you're Asian, so that also makes you somewhat attractive to a certain subset of the gay community. Plenty of women admire Asian men but it's not really a female thing in general to go around gushing over a guy's body. Not if she's a sensible woman anyway. The problem with females giving a bit of bro-admiration is that it can be construed as sexual interest and may not be what she's intending at all. So it's easier to say nothing if flirting is not the intention.

Every guy with a decent body will look high maintenance while at the gym. That includes those who are not high maintenance and go only 3 times a week.

This is so true. There is a real stereotype out there that if he's into his own physique enough to work on it then he's either gay or incredibly narcissistic, which is a ridiculous conclusion to come to when you think about it. Does that also mean that any woman who works out is the same? See how silly it sounds when you change the gender.

It's sad really that there is such a restrictive and narrow definition on what's considered accepted hetero-manly behaviour. Society seems to hold very negative views about men who fall even slightly outside of them. :(