Severe fear of anything medical

So ever since I can remember, I have had an intense fear of anything medical. Now at 23 years old, my fear is just as much there as it ever was. I dread going to the doctors or the dentist. I get intense anxiety and it makes me almost sick. I hate them touching me and I especially hate needles. I have panic attacks when anything involving a needle is brought up.

I don't even go for routine physicals anymore, because I cannot handle the whole process. I will go to the doctor when I am sick or have a specific issue, because my doctor is good and I know usually all I need is a prescription.

When I was in high school, I started getting a wart on my foot. I just wanted it to go away. It just continued to get worse, though I took good care of it. Eventually it got too bad for me to even walk on my foot. So I had to see a doctor. Any normal person would have just gone to the doctor and got it taken care of, but I wait until I can't walk.

Two years ago I got an injury that broke a bone. The doctor I was seeing wanted me to schedule this really intense surgery with him. As he was explaining the surgery to my mom, I passed out. I was so upset and nervous. I didn't end up having surgery, after a second opinion from another doctor.

I had to have my blood drawn a few months ago. I cried like a baby and had an anxiety attack. Its embarrassing for someone my age. People just tell me to get over it, but I truly can't help it.

When I broke my bone two years ago, my body went haywire. My body thought something external was causing me pain, so instead of sending antibodies to start healing, it started sending signals (flight response) to get whatever was hurting me away. Not knowing what was hurting me was inside. Ever since then my nervous system responses are all messed up and it sends off wrong signals. When wind hits my skin, instead of goosebumps, I get burning pain. Like that cold pain you get when something is so hot it feels cold. It has since spread from my initial injury site to other parts of my body.

I have no temperature control, I excessively sweat during times when I should be fine. When I workout, I get sweaty and my skin turns ice cold. When I get too angry or anxious my body reacts like I have hypothermia and I shake uncontrollably. The wrong responses. I have many other symptoms that plague me everyday. My regular doctor diagnosed it as RSD. A rare condition. I am just very lucky that my case was caught early and is mild. I can still live a generally normal life.

Within this last year I noticed I had a wisdom tooth peeking through on my bottom left. I always had very straight teeth so I was hoping it would just grow in straight and be fine. Once in a while I felt some soreness, and figured it was just the tooth pushing through the gums more. Now it seems my tooth might be trying to come through more. I can see more of the tooth, but it seems it might be partially stuck under my gums. I think there is enough room for the tooth, but maybe there isn't.

It has been causing me some regular pain, that is aching and tugging. I take Advil around the clock for days and then it goes away for a time, and then the pain comes back for days. I am terrified my dentist is going to advise I have it out. I cannot fathom having something like that done. I get anxious and upset just thinking about it. Its needles and invasive.

I don't know if just my dentist can pull it, since its only one tooth, or if I should just be put under totally and have an oral surgeon do it. I have never had an IV before and I don't want one. I also can't stand the thought of needles in my mouth. I have had a few fillings, but I did it without anything to numb my mouth. I have a high pain tolerance. I really don't want to have anything done. I take good care of my teeth and I have been trying to keep that new one clean. Its not out of reach.

Also, with the RSD that I have, it is risky for me to have anything invasive. It could cause an outburst of symptoms from my nervous system. I am terrified I will have the symptoms in my mouth and face, which I do not have so far. Many doctors do not know or understand this disease, so I feel like they will just try and ease my mind and convince me to get it, not knowing the effects it may have on me. I am so scared. I truly don't want to have this done. I don't know what to do. I am having pain where the tooth is. All around the gums of the tooth. I am going to the dentist in two weeks for a regular cleaning (which causes me severe anxiety).

I just don't know what to do. I was just going to try and tell my dental cleaning lady my tooth was fine and then see what they say. I'm not sure if I should mention the pain, because I know once you mention pain they just tell you to have it out, which I do not want. If I don't mention it, I would hope she would just go on if the tooth is healthy or not etc... and then tell em if I need it out or not.

I'm so scared.

Edited by amkxoxo

I would suggest in depth therapy to determine the root of your fears.

'Cuz it will only get worse and could end up causing you irreparable harm - as depicted by your wart incident and the tooth pain, both of which could cause bigger issues in the future.

can someone you love/trust go with you and sit with you during the visits and procedures? maybe having something/someone of comfort around could lessen it somewhat and they can talk you through it - especially the panic attacks.

Yeah, a support animal or human could be of emotional assistance. The way I see it, absent clear lifestyle choices and their consequences, health stuff is thrown at us randomly and we each choose how we process it. My first choice, if finding substantial distress or anxiety in the process, would be to get help with the brain stuff first. Make sure it's medically OK and then work on the specific thought and emotional processes. IMO, getting the director tracked to confidence in handling what life throws at one is key to handing those shots and moving through them in a healthy way. The cool thing about a psychologist is they don't stick needles in us or that infernally buzzing drill in our mouth!:D

Good luck!

You have my sympathies Amkxoxo, I have a very similar fear and it's the bane of my life.

I have a messed up nervous system/drug resistance and don't go numb. Over the years I've been sliced, stitched, had root canals, wisdom tooth extraction and surgery, all while conscious and without being numb. It's taken it's toll. I've lost all trust in doctors and dentists. Time and time again they told me I was numb and imagining the pain. A couple of times I was even held down by a few people to have work done.

When I was in my mid thirties I could afford to go private and the doc confirmed what I always knew, that I don't go numb. He also said I have a very high pain tolerance.

It's taken it's toll, though. I have lost all trust in doctors and dentists. I'm in my mid forties now and even when I psyche myself up to the hospital or dentist the flight or fight response kicks in as soon as they get a instrument near me. It's PTSD, I'm not ashamed to admit it. I get flashbacks, cold sweats, sick to my guts and the whole works. I'm big, strong lump, stonemason/bricklayer, former prizefighter, and I'm just as chicken as you :-)

Nobody will now touch me unless I am put under GA but I don't trust them to do that any more. I've got no idea what I will do next time I need something done. One thing I have learnt, though, is there is no point worrying about what may happen in the future. It's all about thinking positive and imagining the best will happen. If the worst happens, so be it, no point spending all the time I am fit and healthy worrying about what will happen when I am not.

You're young. Medicine has come on leaps and bounds since I was young. It will be best if you overcome this fear when young. Find someone who will walk you through in baby steps and let you be in control of whatever happens. You don't want this fear when you are older and facing all the things that can go wrong with you when older.

HopeForTomorrow

Here's the thing. IMO this is not a "fear" (implying that it's psychological and in your head). It is a very REAL, physiologic reaction that you are having. And the problem is that once it has happened once or twice, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy and it happens again and again. I am talking about the actual physical reaction of passing out or having panic attacks or being terrified with the adrenaline rush that goes with that, and the whole thing. Has nothing to do with your age or if you are a "strong" person or not. So don't let anyone tell you that this is something you should just get over.

I come at it from both ends, as a healthcare professional and as someone who experiences some of the same things you do. For me it's related to the dentist though. I go, but I have a physiologic reaction every time. I pass out. It leads me to fear and dread going. Part of the issue is that, like the poster above, I do not react to lidocaine. I don't get numb. I can't stand the thought of someone shoving needles in my mouth. As soon as they start doing that, I'm gone.

There are more people like you than you realize. There are dentists who deal with patients like this literally every day. They will work with you on the "fear" and offer ways to alleviate it, including completely anesthetizing you if needed and pre-medicating you for anxiety. I have had decent luck with those approaches.

Do you have a neurologist that you work with on your RSD? I am somewhat familiar with it, and I can see how this would add another complex layer over everything. I think what will be key for you is for you to find a neurologist or other healthcare provider that you can really trust, and who works WITH you on these issues. It might be hard to find initially, but once you do, hopefully you will have the support system you need to feel more secure with the medical and dental issues.

It seems that a lot of your issues stem from lack of understanding and support from others regarding what you are dealing with. It is pretty difficult to put your trust in someone when you don't feel that they are taking your issues seriously or addressing them. You need to find someone who will.

Avoiding the medical and dental situations doesn't work forever, and ultimately ends up just causing more problems. I wish you luck.

Try: Aroma Therepy, Meditation, Yoga, and Deep Breathing techniques.

Usually having a professional guide you til you get the hang of it helps.

Yes sometimes a bit of Medicinal Herbs also can do the trick. And I am not talking about the Wacky weed kind.....But rather some Homeopathic type...Vitamin B3 , Niacin and Inositol (powder Form) did wonders!.

The challenge is to build up and create a tolerance for these ...then once you get on the regime , its amazing how it helps every day and high stress anxiety.

Anxiety doesn't just zap away....its to a lesser degree though when the above is used.

• Author

I've tried relaxation techniques. I've tried just getting over it. It does not work. My mouth hurts. I've been taking ibuprofen around the clock. I have a high pain tolerance due to my pain condition RSD.

My brother who is younger than me had all his wisdom teeth out this year. The dentist told him he needed it. I'm 23 and the same dentist has never said one thing about mine.

All my friends are like "just have them all out."

I'm terrified. I don't know what to think. My cleaning appointment is in two weeks. I figure they will tell me to at least have this one that is hurting out, since it is causing pain.

My co-worker just had one out at the dentist. They numbed her mouth up and pulled it right there. When my brother did all four, he had too be put to sleep. He had to go to a surgeon to be put to sleep. He had an IV (so scary) and then he woke up and it was done. I don't like the idea of being alseep and you have no control. But I also do not know if I like the idea of being awake and being able to hear and see what they are doing to my mouth. I heard its a lot of pressure. And they have to put needles in your mouth. I know I will shake, cry, and freak out. Sometimes I think maybe being asleep would be better because I might not be able to handle it emotionally if I was awake. I've never had an IV before. I want to cry. I've been reading that one tooth out at the dentist isn't too bad, since its only one and not all four. Its faster recovery and you don't have the waking up long drowsy part of being asleep.

My boyfriend said he did not have an IV. They needled up his mouth, then put the mask on him, and he went to sleep.

I'm so afraid. This is my worst nightmare. I have to see what they will say when I go for my appointment, but I am thinking they will tell me to have the one, or all of my teeth out.

I'm terrified. Its all I think about. I get distracted at work by it. My boyfriend can tell I am upset a lot. Its taking over my life. I'm so worried. I feel like I want to cry all the time.

I'm the same way, but I'm also the type of dude who just faces fears till they go away.

So last year (I'm 36 btw) I decided I needed to get serious about my health. Not that I was having problems or out of shape or anything but some of the elders in my family started having health problems and they let me know that it's easier to maintain good health from a young age than it is to try to get it after a lifetime of putting your body through ****.

So finally, I decided to start going to the doctor and get my fear under control. The first thing I said to her was, "Look, I have an irrational and extreme fear of needles that manifests physiologically and the only way I'm gonna get over it is for you to draw blood every time I come in." She looked at me like I was nuts... I looked at her like I was going to die and immediately regretted my decision. Long story short, I've been back there 3 times and every time I still get anxiety and it still sucks, but I'm not passing out or having seizures anymore so I'm hoping sometime next year I'll be over the fear.

Bottom line, you gotta face it sometime if you want to be able to monitor and control your health so you may as well start now.

I had hypnosis to help me with my phobia of needles.

It worked very well.

Sage herb is excellent for tooth/gum pain. If you can buy a bottle of sage tincture(liquid form) and apply it to your gum where the pain is, it will definitely ease up. Sage is also really good for sore throat and chest problems. You should also look up "Herbal Tooth & Gum Powder." I have tight jaw muscles and sometimes get pain in my gums especially in the cold weather. This powder works wonders for gum/tooth pain. It is also a natural tooth cleaner and strengthener. I have wobbly teeth and I find the powder also effective for this. Be careful with the pain killers, it's not safe to take them around the clock for long periods. These herbal alternatives will work even better and you can use them indefinitely without side effects.

I have to go to bed now but want to comment on your anxiety later.

Edited by truthtripper
  • Like 1

I'm so afraid. This is my worst nightmare.

I'm terrified. Its all I think about. I get distracted at work by it. My boyfriend can tell I am upset a lot. Its taking over my life. I'm so worried. I feel like I want to cry all the time.

Your reactions to medical procedures that you describe ie panic attacks, passing out etc. are extreme. It sounds like you've had a terrifying, traumatic experience during a med procedure when you were very young, perhaps under the age of 5, which you cannot remember. Your terror from that time, has been stored away securely in your subconscious and gets triggered whenever you have to face another med procedure. This explains your extreme anxiety, even when merely thinking about the procedure. I have suffered too from these horrible reactions to certain stimuli. I have a friend who has cat phobia, so that whenever she sees a cat, she freaks out, with those same classic trauma symptoms-fight or flight response- panic, feeling sick(nausea), sweating, all of which you have mentioned.

Although, no one enjoys having needles and surgery etc, it's normal to feel some anxiety, but not to the extent you're experiencing. If it's taking over your life, as you acknowledge, you should really get some professional guidance from a good trauma therapist. Their is a psychologist called Peter Levine, who has devoted decades to trauma study. He has written several books. Healing Trauma is a good book to start with, although you're probably currently in no mood to read. It would be fantastic if you could see a therapist who utilises "somatic experiencing" techniques ie: the therapist helps you make connections between your physical reactions and your emotions and how to release them so that they won't be hanging around anymore to taunt you.

So amkxoxo, with some good professional support and a little patience, this can all be resolved.;)

You need to try counseling to help you cope with your fears. CBT - cognitive behaviour therapy can help those who suffer from anxiety and panic attacks.

Your fears can be controlled so you won't pass out/freak out.

• 4 weeks later...
I've tried relaxation techniques. I've tried just getting over it. It does not work. My mouth hurts. I've been taking ibuprofen around the clock. I have a high pain tolerance due to my pain condition RSD.

My brother who is younger than me had all his wisdom teeth out this year. The dentist told him he needed it. I'm 23 and the same dentist has never said one thing about mine.

All my friends are like "just have them all out."

I'm terrified. I don't know what to think. My cleaning appointment is in two weeks. I figure they will tell me to at least have this one that is hurting out, since it is causing pain.

My co-worker just had one out at the dentist. They numbed her mouth up and pulled it right there. When my brother did all four, he had too be put to sleep. He had to go to a surgeon to be put to sleep. He had an IV (so scary) and then he woke up and it was done. I don't like the idea of being alseep and you have no control. But I also do not know if I like the idea of being awake and being able to hear and see what they are doing to my mouth. I heard its a lot of pressure. And they have to put needles in your mouth. I know I will shake, cry, and freak out. Sometimes I think maybe being asleep would be better because I might not be able to handle it emotionally if I was awake. I've never had an IV before. I want to cry. I've been reading that one tooth out at the dentist isn't too bad, since its only one and not all four. Its faster recovery and you don't have the waking up long drowsy part of being asleep.

My boyfriend said he did not have an IV. They needled up his mouth, then put the mask on him, and he went to sleep.

I'm so afraid. This is my worst nightmare. I have to see what they will say when I go for my appointment, but I am thinking they will tell me to have the one, or all of my teeth out.

My wisdom teeth hurt for AGES, but they are perfectly fine. But they didn't come through all at once, so the pain would come and go. All in all, it took several months for each of them to be completely out (and they were staggered, so it was a couple of years of on and off pain, but no need to have them taken out, as they are perfectly straight and have have enough room)

OP, might I suggest a book called, 'Triumph Over fear' - A book of help and hope for people with anxiety, panic attacks, and phobias.

About 10 years ago after a routine doctors visit I got a call concerning my blood work. I hadn't been doing too well and was told I had Graves Disease (hyperthyroidism) ... the next day I went to the dentist and was told I had periodontal disease. I think it was the double whammy that did it, but I began to have some serious fear of doctors and dentists and it just kept getting worse, to the point where I shinned on some surgery for an incisional hernia.

I heard some horror stories about letting a hernia go, so got it fixed, but I tell you it took everything (and I know you know what I'm saying) to get that done.

Even with that victory the fear remained and continued to get worse. Being very good about dental check ups (the periodontal disease is gone now... thinking being hyper caused that) even though it is sooooo hard the dentist told me I needed some work- that freaked me out, and it took over a year to go back.

I went to the dentist armed with this book. It gave me understanding as to what was happening with me as I read it through the entire appointment...reading it took my mind off of what was going on and before long, they were done and I was out of there.

Basically, I might have this fear for a long time, and the panic attacks may always be there, but I have tools now. Really the key is facing your fears. Once you do that and keep doing it, the fear lessens. LOL, can you imagine what a 'hyper' person's panic attacks are like? ....

Honestly... most people fear most medical procedures. We just make ourselves go and do it regardless, because it's what we have to do as adults who are responsible for our own health.

I was TERRIFIED before my dental surgery appointment, I could not sleep a wink the night before and I was freaking out in the dental office just before the surgery started. You know what - it really wasn't bad at all, and I wouldn't have been nearly so afraid beforehand if I'd known what it was truly like.

The options are not just between "being put to sleep" (general anaesthesia) and being totally awake and experiencing everything (local anaesthesia). Twilight sedation is fairly common and you can ask for it if you prefer. It's not as severe as general anaesthesia, you are still in control but you feel drowsy, drifting in and out of sleep like you would sometimes at night. Quite a pleasant feeling in fact.

The aftereffects are the most annoying, but as long as you pick a time when you can take a few days' leave for recovery, stock up on slushies and mushy food, and take your painkillers on time (NOT just when you feel pain), you'll be fine. It's more annoying than painful.

Do some research and go to a good, experienced, thoughtful, kind dentist who will talk to you about your fears and the options you have. That makes a huge difference too.