Root Canals and Pain

The pain leading up to getting a root canal is bad enough, but has anyone experienced severe pain after getting a root canal?

I recently got the first part of a root canal done (final appointment is on Thursday), and the pain i'm experiencing now is SO much worse than it was before.

The dentist has given me Vicodin, but I need to take more than the recommended dosage to relieve myself of the pain i'm experiencing.

I've called the dentist this morning about it, and i'm waiting to hear back about what I should do. In the meantime, I was hoping others have similar experiences that could possibly help relieve some of the pain i'm going through?

More pain after? I think something isn't right. I've had 2 root canals (separate days) and my boyfriend had 2 in the same day recently, as did my best friend and none of us experienced enough pain after to take a single pain killer.

I'm curious what your dentist is going to say about this.

I'm sorry you're hurting like that. Teeth. They can really tune up pain to level 11!

• Author
More pain after? I think something isn't right. I've had 2 root canals (separate days) and my boyfriend had 2 in the same day recently, as did my best friend and none of us experienced enough pain after to take a single pain killer.

I'm curious what your dentist is going to say about this.

I'm sorry you're hurting like that. Teeth. They can really tune up pain to level 11!

No kidding!

To make a long story short: I had a filling that fell out about 6 months ago. Didn't go to the dentist until the pain became pretty intolerable, which was about 2 weeks ago. I had an infection (which they gave me antibiotics for) and when I went in for the first part of my root canal, they said that the infection was still 'leaking out' :sick: so they had to wait until it was all cleared out before finalizing the root canal.

Now, instead of just feeling pain in the tooth and having a headache (like I was feeling before the root canal procedure), i'm having extreme pain from the surrounding teeth, my gums, my jaw, and an unrelenting headache.

I think it's worth mentioning that I also have a wisdom tooth coming in (the last one, which needs to be pulled) and it's directly next to the partially done root canal.

A root canal can make the teeth around the tooth hurt like heck, if there was an infection then you might need more antibiotics, that can also cause the pain, it might take a while for the other teeth to settle.

I've had root canals that have had no pain and had some that have had pain for a couple of days.

Yes.

A root canal done badly - or missing some of the infection will still hurt.

Happened to me. I had to have three root canals on one tooth. Really, really bad...

• Author
A root canal can make the teeth around the tooth hurt like heck, if there was an infection then you might need more antibiotics, that can also cause the pain, it might take a while for the other teeth to settle.

I've had root canals that have had no pain and had some that have had pain for a couple of days.

They've prescribed me stronger antibiotics to help clear the infection, which I understand can take 2 - 3 days to begin working. I'm just clueless as to what to do in the meantime. I'm considering going to the ER because every time I move the pain shoots through me. It's unbearable :(

Yes.

A root canal done badly - or missing some of the infection will still hurt.

Happened to me. I had to have three root canals on one tooth. Really, really bad...

What did you do to help relieve the pain? I have orajel, but it isn't doing much of anything.

What did you do to help relieve the pain? I have orajel, but it isn't doing much of anything.

I did Percocet.

• Author
I did Percocet.

And that helped? I hope that's what my dentist gives me, because this Vicodin isn't working the way it's prescribed.

And that helped? I hope that's what my dentist gives me, because this Vicodin isn't working the way it's prescribed.

It helped. But I didn't get it from a dentist. Vicodin does nothing for me...

• Like 1

I had a few root canals. One hurt like hell for 3 days. Then the pain slowly went. Your dentist maybe should redo it if it continues for too long.

Horrible things....

Hope it turns out ok.

`Rooting for you` (Sorry)

• Like 2

Could have nicked a nerve.

Keep in mind, this pain is (very, very likely) temporary. You feel bad now, but in time this will just be memory. You'll get through it.

• Like 2
They've prescribed me stronger antibiotics to help clear the infection, which I understand can take 2 - 3 days to begin working. I'm just clueless as to what to do in the meantime. I'm considering going to the ER because every time I move the pain shoots through me. It's unbearable :(

I have a drug resistance and don't go numb. It means I have had to get old skool for abscesses and root canals. If desperate and can't get drugs that work...

Slooshing ice cold water round the tooth basically freezes it and take the pain away. You may initially hit the ceiling, though.

Another thing I do is rinse the tooth in an undiluted liquid antiseptic called TCP. Tastes like sh*t but draws out infection and takes the edge off pain. I don't know if there is an American equivalent but it's damned good stuff.

I still find the best painkiller is to hit the buffalo and knock back a good single malt. Something fiery from the Islays. Laphroaig works best on me. It numbs the mouth and mind. No can do if on antibiotics, though. :(

Having said all that, you're in America and you have some kick ass drugs and top notch tooth quacks. I am sure there must be something available to you that's better than resorting to my suggestions

• Like 2
I have a drug resistance and don't go numb. It means I have had to get old skool for abscesses and root canals. If desperate and can't get drugs that work...

Slooshing ice cold water round the tooth basically freezes it and take the pain away. You may initially hit the ceiling, though.

Another thing I do is rinse the tooth in an undiluted liquid antiseptic called TCP. Tastes like sh*t but draws out infection and takes the edge off pain. I don't know if there is an American equivalent but it's damned good stuff.

I still find the best painkiller is to hit the buffalo and knock back a good single malt. Something fiery from the Islays. Laphroaig works best on me. It numbs the mouth and mind. No can do if on antibiotics, though. :(

Having said all that, you're in America and you have some kick ass drugs and top notch tooth quacks. I am sure there must be something available to you that's better than resorting to my suggestions

TCP is good for everything! The smell though.....

But yes will help with tooth pain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCP_(antiseptic)

• Like 2

A Homeopathic mixture is to boil Cloves, crush them then make an elixir to rinse the mouth. Its a natural antiseptic . Its gawd awful at first, but due to its numbing agents...I'd recommend it.

Used it recently as I was tired of the shelf brand Numbing agents that wore off quickly.... This actually worked and healed the gum areas...

• Like 2

I had a root canal recently. I was in excruciating pain the night before (like terrible, kept me awake at night pain) but have had no pain since the root canal. The dentist gave me a prescription for Percocet, but I never had to use it. I don't think you're supposed to be in intense pain after a root canal.

The pain leading up to getting a root canal is bad enough, but has anyone experienced severe pain after getting a root canal?

I recently got the first part of a root canal done (final appointment is on Thursday), and the pain i'm experiencing now is SO much worse than it was before.

The dentist has given me Vicodin, but I need to take more than the recommended dosage to relieve myself of the pain i'm experiencing.

I've called the dentist this morning about it, and i'm waiting to hear back about what I should do. In the meantime, I was hoping others have similar experiences that could possibly help relieve some of the pain i'm going through?

Get on antibotics asap! Tell you dentist it's an emergency to see you first thing in the morning. There is an infection happening, whether you get a bump on the side of your gum or not, the infection is there.

Been there, I know exactly how you feel and how much pain you're in.

Also, get the Dentist to check your bite, if it's off from the filing. Your bite may be off too from the root canal and your jaw may have shifted ever so slightly. Healing can take up to a month before ALL the pain goes away but the pain you're feeling is from the infection. Hope this helps.

• Like 2

Okay I see you're on antibotics already. Give it a few more days. I took four advil every 4-5 hours for the pain, and the pain was soooo bad. Never felt that before, thought I was gonna die one night because I forgot to set my alarm and stay ahead of the pain. Literally was shaking, sweating and swearing!

sometimes you have inflammation before the root canal

so the dentist should give you the amoxicillin to stop the pain and the swelling

and when it subsides he should do the root canal.. and after the root canal you continue on taking amoxicillin an antibiotic to prevent any future inflammation and swelling..

she should have given you that, why she is not being professional about it..

I had 3 or 4 root canals and they always prescribed amoxicillin as pre cautionary step

Root canal is usually not that painful, just annoying and longer procedure and more expensive! , but not painful, because the nerves are killed at the procedure...

I hope you get better..

Edited by Noproblem
  • Like 1
  • Author

Thank you guys SO much for all of the support and advice!

Yes, i've been on antibiotics since I first saw the dentist. I woke up at 5AM this morning to severe pain. The dentist never called me back yesterday regarding the pain (only to give me a higher dosage of antibiotics).

I've called the dentist back this morning, and explained that if they can't see me or give me different pain meds that i'll be going to the ER. I just cant stand this pain any longer! Nothing I do even begins to touch the pain i'm feeling. :(

• Like 1
thefooloftheyear

Never really experienced any pain..Relief? yes...

Logically, the root canal process kills off the nerve(which is what is giving you the pain in the first place)....If done correctly, maybe some minor discomfort from the trauma of working in the area, but really the severe type of nerve pain shouldn't really be an issue...The nerve has been killed off/removed..

'

TFY

• Like 1
Thank you guys SO much for all of the support and advice!

Yes, i've been on antibiotics since I first saw the dentist. I woke up at 5AM this morning to severe pain. The dentist never called me back yesterday regarding the pain (only to give me a higher dosage of antibiotics).

I've called the dentist back this morning, and explained that if they can't see me or give me different pain meds that i'll be going to the ER. I just cant stand this pain any longer! Nothing I do even begins to touch the pain i'm feeling. :(

please go the Er, I have such pain before

it was unbearable

no pain medication could help

but it wasn't because of root canal, it was just a tooth that gone bad

when I went to the amateur dentist who said you are too late we have to take it out , and she was so aggressive she broke it inside of my mouth then she became so angry

i started crying, she started blaming me haha, my mom started praying that I overcome that ordeal :laugh:

it was a horrible experience..:(

and my brother was studying to become a dentist at that time, he said she shouldn't have extracted that tooth, she should have given you medication to make the inflammation go away and then have you come back later to fill it..

I know what I had is difference, but what I mean is the more you wait the more you will have to do excessive measurement to reduce the pain as it become unbearable there are tons of emergency dentists

you should see one.. right away!

• Author

Thanks again guys for the advice!

After talking to my dentist today, she prescribed me Tylenol 3. Which did NOTHING! So I went to the ER. They gave me a shot to numb the pain, and then prescribed me Vicodin (twice the dose the dentist originally gave me).

It's been about 2 hours since I saw the doctor at the ER, and even with the shot and a Vicodin, I can still feel the throbbing pain. But it's not even half as bad as it was before. This is definitely more manageable.

• Like 1
Thanks again guys for the advice!

After talking to my dentist today, she prescribed me Tylenol 3. Which did NOTHING! So I went to the ER. They gave me a shot to numb the pain, and then prescribed me Vicodin (twice the dose the dentist originally gave me).

It's been about 2 hours since I saw the doctor at the ER, and even with the shot and a Vicodin, I can still feel the throbbing pain. But it's not even half as bad as it was before. This is definitely more manageable.

I hope you get better soon! I am glad you are feeling a little bit better

Did they say why you are having this pain?

• Like 1
  • Author
I hope you get better soon! I am glad you are feeling a little bit better

Did they say why you are having this pain?

Thank you!

No, they didn't say. All they really did was looked at it, compared it to the other side of my mouth (the functional side), and then prescribed me medicine. I'm almost positive it's because of the infection.

I'll tell you what though, i've gotten 3 of my wisdom teeth taken out at once, and even that pain doesn't compare to what i'm going through now. I can't fully close my mouth or it'll hit the infected tooth and cause a searing pain through my mouth, jaw, and head. :(