How do I get motivated to workout?

dreamersreverie

So I've fallen off the bandwagon and stayed down for quite awhile. I used to be eager and motivated to get into shape and eat right. I used to push myself. I was getting toned and sculpted. Now, three years and thirty lbs later I have little to no motivation and lack the energy to exercise. I was depressed for quite some time and just didn't care. Recently, I've been doing simple things like elliptical, treadmill, and jogging but it's getting very boring. I was thinking of getting a personal trainer, taking kickboxing classes, or doing pure barre classes. I'm not sure which one I should do. I fear I may get bored with the classes too and not go. These past few years a lot of things I used to enjoy just turn out boring or uninteresting and it sucks.

I also find it out hard to push myself when none of my friends are interested in working out. I've heard that it's better when you have friends to workout with but all my friends are either lazy or too busy :(

What are some good ways to motivate myself?

fitnessfan365

This may sound biased because I am one. But have you ever thought about getting a personal trainer? Granted there are some crappy ones who give the profession a bad name. But a quality trainer will be able to educate and motivate you to eventually do it yourself.

In the beginning when you invest in yourself and have appointments to go to, it'll push you to show up and do it.

• Like 1

"All my friends are either lazy or busy"

Find another group of friends who are into fitness. Join a masters swim group or triathlon group or whatever fitness group.

It works when you know you're all in the pain together

• Like 2

Join an intramural sports team. I play baseball, football, box in local gym, and am part of the local MMA team at my gym. I also run every race, marathon, Tough Mudder, and several Iron Mans a year. Take up running with a group. Exercise can be fun.

G

• Like 1
thefooloftheyear

Like just about everything in life..If you need others to motivate or propel you, its going to be a let down...Not saying it isnt good or fun, just dont be dependent on it,

Yeah, a personal trainer might be what you need..Some other ideas that work well is take a selfie with very little clothing...Look at that photo and document the date/time..Set yourself another photo date a month from now and use the same mirror at the same time of day...If you are dedicated, you will see the progress you have made in the photos and it will keep you going..Ive advised several people on this technique and even use it myself...It works..You can also use little "rewards"...Set a weight loss goal, say 10 lbs, and tell yourself when you lose the 10 lbs, then you will get the expensive shoes you have always wanted but wouldnt treat yourself to...Or take a little trip...I dunno, make it something interesting...Once you reach that goal, set another one..

The best way to get started is start small..Thats the main problem people dont go..They think about the hour long grueling workout when they are out of shape and of course it seems like too much,...Decide for the first few weeks that you are only gonna do 20 minutes..Or if you weight train, focus on a single body part a day...This will get you started without it seeming so daunting or arduous....then you can gradually ramp it up...

Good luck..

TFY

Edited by thefooloftheyear
  • Like 2

Try setting small goals like 1 mile at a light jogging rate or 60 sit ups in I can't remember if it's two or three minutes. Setting goals helps you not get bored. My recent one was hitting 200 lbs on deadlift. I got 205. My next goal is to get either kipping or regular pull up. Work up to it until you reach the goals.

Find pictures of someone on the internet that has the dream body you desire. Print that pic and hang it on your refrigerator. The more you look at it the more you'll Say damn, I want that body and it will help you with the motivation. Just make sure the pic is a realistic goal for yourself and body type.

OP, join the "supportive fitness" thread and share your goals! If you want me or any of the other posters to uh...politely remind you to get in your workouts, we can do that.

Wow, I don't have this issue cuz I guess I'm self-motivated.

For me what I guess works is just "doing it". You go regardless of how you feel cuz how else are you gonna get/stay in shape?

Think of it like your job. Many times you'd rather sleep in, but how will the bills get paid?

See, the hardest thing is getting started, but once you're done (or even half way through) you feel good about yourself and those positive endorphins start flowing all through you.

I mean, do you need friends to motivate you to brush your teeth? No, but you do it anyways :)

Also, not every day you're gonna be like "yippee, time to go run three miles", and that's ok. Just stick with it.

Good luck.

So I've fallen off the bandwagon and stayed down for quite awhile. I used to be eager and motivated to get into shape and eat right. I used to push myself. I was getting toned and sculpted. Now, three years and thirty lbs later I have little to no motivation and lack the energy to exercise. I was depressed for quite some time and just didn't care. Recently, I've been doing simple things like elliptical, treadmill, and jogging but it's getting very boring. I was thinking of getting a personal trainer, taking kickboxing classes, or doing pure barre classes. I'm not sure which one I should do. I fear I may get bored with the classes too and not go. These past few years a lot of things I used to enjoy just turn out boring or uninteresting and it sucks.

I also find it out hard to push myself when none of my friends are interested in working out. I've heard that it's better when you have friends to workout with but all my friends are either lazy or too busy :(

I hired a trainer. I know it may not be in everyone's budget but it started as two days a week. He told me what was the cheapest rate which was to purchase 4 sessions at once, I budgeted it and decided to simply show up every single time. It will be a year in Dec (last week of Dec) and I am 60 plus lbs lighter on just two, 30 min sessions a week. I stopped eating beef, chicken, pork 5 years ago with occasional fish, egg, cheese.I became a strict vegan over the past year, no soft drinks since May, and deff no bread or processed sugars since last month. It is a process, you have to decide to simply show up. After 22 days it becomes habit. Simply commit to one month of showing up, the rest will be easy.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Maybe try to find an exercise you enjoy doing?? Listen to some good music and in my case it worked better when I worked out alone, I did in my room as well, every other day

Pure Barre is fun. I'm in the same boat. Since adopting my dog I've been walking her as exercise but I need to get back to the gym. Maybe we can inspire each other because I don't want to lose muscle tone.

If you read all the responses, you will see that there are very good collections of advice. Some say it's best to find friends to help you feel motivated, some say it's best to learn to motivate yourself; both are valid ideas. At the end of the day, though, what's best is for YOU is to find what works for you. Yes, that does mean 'exploring'. So try a barre class, try something you never thought of. Just try; and if you get bored, then, so what? Try something else.

I would suggest doing something that is done in a group form: especially when you're dealing with effects of the depression, the positive presence of others can help you psychologically. Doing some 'solo' exercise can sometimes amplify that feeling of loneliness.

I used to be very fit; healthy eating, gym, yoga, pilates, long brisk walks, long bike rides; all down the drain because of depression. Now just a vegetative lump, just conducting a never-ending seemingly futile exercise of inhaling and exhaling.

I'm glad to hear you're coming out the depression, and able to at least TRY to get back to the fitness world. Good for you.

You may want to do a search on ''Meetup''; it's a website that allows people to form interest groups and gather together. You may find something there to explore. Just try--something new.