I need to lose weight!!

So I am 5ft 4in and 152 lbs, I need to lose weight. I have gained 15 lbs recently and i just don't like it, i am not happy with myself. I like doing the atkins because the weight typically falls off faster, but I don't stick to it, like everything else. I stuck to it over the summer for 2wks and lost 11lbs and then gained a bit back, I was 156. How do I stay motivated, so that I can feel comfortable? has any one else been through this, and what did they do? I have tons of homework so I have to sit most of the day. Encouragement, ideas, thoughts, greatly appreciated!

Blue, I have never had any luck with any prescribed diet. Like you said, you will lose weight for a little while but then the diet sucks so you quit (or in some cases end it after reaching your goal) and gain the weight back. My solution has to been to find some calorie dense foods that are in your diet that you don't really enjoy and eliminate them. Personally one of mine was toast, it was really easy to eat 3 or 4 prices of toast a day just sort of because I was bored. Eliminating that was an easy way to cut out several hundred calories. It might not be toast for you, but i think we all have something that we eat sort of out of boredom.

Point being, don't bother with dietary changes if you can't sustain them forever because it won't work, instead focus on changes that you can sustain.

Also, when I was in college doing way to much homework, cutting out one hour to hit the gym or run not only made me healthier, but also more productive at schoolwork. I think I gained more than an hour from increased productivity from from doing this.

Edited by skier10
Addition
  • 1 month later...
Vices-Virtues

I'm 5'5 and I weight 136 Ibs. I was at 148 lbs. I don't diet, because diets suck. I stopped drinking soda 100%. I drink water only. I became a pescartiran , if I spelt that right, which means I eat no meat except seafood. I did that for about 2 weeks and I went from 148 lbs to 133lb. I gained a little weight back because I now drink water and juice, lol. I also walk two miles a day. You don't have to exercise if you just drink water and eat no meat. You'll just have the weight fall off. I exercise now because I drink juice, water, and coffee , plus I eat donuts like everyday because I work at Dunkin' and I gained 3 pounds so to keep it up I work out.

Edited by Vices-Virtues

I bet you see results you limit your calorie intake to 1200 a day.

Limit refined carbs increase protein and vegetables. You need protein to build muscle and fuel your body. Avoid sugars and highly processed foods.

And exercise at least 30 minutes a day ( running cycling stair climbing swimming etc).

Try using the lose it app.

• Like 2
So I am 5ft 4in and 152 lbs, I need to lose weight. I have gained 15 lbs recently and i just don't like it, i am not happy with myself. I like doing the atkins because the weight typically falls off faster, but I don't stick to it, like everything else. I stuck to it over the summer for 2wks and lost 11lbs and then gained a bit back, I was 156.

Dr Atkins himself died of heart disease, so what does that really say about his diet?

I would suggest only eating when you are hungry and eat small meals, rather than big meals which can make you sluggish and less energetic.

A 30-40 minute brisk walk each day is ample.

I would avoid quick fix diets like Atkins. You'll lose the weight quick but your health will probably suffer in some wat. And as soon as you start eating carbs again you'll put the weight back on.

Eat more protein, eat slow release carbs, healthy fats (nuts), cut out sugar and any other refined carbs, exercise more, and you'll notice a difference.

A calorie deficit of 500 a day will equal 1lb per week. Drop calorie intake by 250 per day and burn 250 during exercise.

:)

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I once went an entire month just eating chicken, fruit, and veggies and tried to stay away from soda and various sweets. I also spent about ten to twenty minutes a day before and after work doing some low intensity katas and drills with various martial arts weapons. Wax wood and polypropylene are very hefty so not only will you melt body fat, but you're arms and upper body will get nice and cut. In the end I lost twenty three lbs.

Unfortunately I gained the weight back this summer doing graveyard shifts. Too much late night pizza, burgers, and vending machine sweets. Currently embarking on a similar quest. Only drawback is my current job doesn't allow me to walk around as much as I'd like. Since I do longer than usual shifts, I have substituted dollar cheeseburgers and cookies and soda for hot chocolate, fruit smoothies, and granola bars. Eight pounds down, seventeen more to go.

I'm not gonna claim this is going to work for you as everyone is different, but I can suggest it and hope that it works for you.

Edited by MEAN956GUNS
  • 3 weeks later...
hasaquestion
So I am 5ft 4in and 152 lbs, I need to lose weight. I have gained 15 lbs recently and i just don't like it, i am not happy with myself. I like doing the atkins because the weight typically falls off faster, but I don't stick to it, like everything else. I stuck to it over the summer for 2wks and lost 11lbs and then gained a bit back, I was 156. How do I stay motivated, so that I can feel comfortable? has any one else been through this, and what did they do? I have tons of homework so I have to sit most of the day. Encouragement, ideas, thoughts, greatly appreciated!

*My advice. As they say, Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a queen, and dinner like a pauper.

*Don't drink calories. If you need caffeine make it straight up coffee or tea. Energy drinks or mixed beverages from Dunks or Starbucks are the worst.

*Stay hydrated as f**k. Especially keeps the sweet tooth away for me.

I control my diet best by eating super strict meals during the week and then having two 'cheat meals' over the weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

After years of steady weight gain (no exercise, bad diet, drinking) a switch turned on & I decided I needed to lose weight.

It is really simple, weekly burn more calories than you consume and target 1-2 lbs per week. It took me about 6 months to lose 60 lbs. There are aps and websites that can help by I just did it on my own and researching a lot of information on weight loss.

But you need that switch to go on and change your lifestyle. I am now addicted to working out & exercising. 5 years ago, I couldn't jog more than 50 feet.

fitnessfan365
Up your strength training and don't be afraid of calories.

I find this very interesting/inspirational: https://www.fitnessblender.com/articles/why-you-arent-losing-weight-when-cutting-calories-and-exercising-is-not-working

THIS.

1200 calories per day is the bare minimum for a sedentary woman that doesn't exercise at all just to maintain healthy bodily function. So the last thing a woman that exercises regularly should do is take in 1200 calories per day. With the calories you burn, you wind up falling below that which will wreak havoc on your metabolism. In all honesty OP, the best thing to do is eat properly with good nutrition, do a combination of strength training/cardio work 3-5x per week, drink plenty of water, and keep a small calorie deficit of 500 per day under what it takes to maintain your weight. This will result in one lb loss per week and this will help you to keep the weight off permanently. When you try to drop too much, you wind up under eating and eventually binge eating. This is why so many of the Biggest Loser contestants wind up gaining all their weight back.

To get a rough estimate of your maintenance Google "BMR equation". Then plug the numbers into the equation. Then if you're going to workout at least 3x per week, multiply the final number by 1.55 and subtract 500. That will tell you how many cals per day to take in. But I can guarantee it's definitely higher than 1200.

• Like 1

And.... it's a *permanent* lifestyle change, not "going on a diet" as most people think of it.

This is the most important part.

You cannot ever go back to the eating and exercise habits that ruined your body to begin with. You must abandon them forever.

• Like 1
THIS.

1200 calories per day is the bare minimum for a sedentary woman that doesn't exercise at all just to maintain healthy bodily function. So the last thing a woman that exercises regularly should do is take in 1200 calories per day. With the calories you burn, you wind up falling below that which will wreak havoc on your metabolism. In all honesty OP, the best thing to do is eat properly with good nutrition, do a combination of strength training/cardio work 3-5x per week, drink plenty of water, and keep a small calorie deficit of 500 per day under what it takes to maintain your weight. This will result in one lb loss per week and this will help you to keep the weight off permanently. When you try to drop too much, you wind up under eating and eventually binge eating. This is why so many of the Biggest Loser contestants wind up gaining all their weight back.

To get a rough estimate of your maintenance Google "BMR equation". Then plug the numbers into the equation. Then if you're going to workout at least 3x per week, multiply the final number by 1.55 and subtract 500. That will tell you how many cals per day to take in. But I can guarantee it's definitely higher than 1200.

Yes! Thank you for backing this up, fitness professional! 1200 calories a day is faaaaaaaaaaar too few.

Here's my encouragement and idea's. I'm 5ft 3" and weigh approximately 110lbs, US size (4?). I attained this body around 13yrs ago and have kept it off ever since. I'm over 40 now, so age has nothing to do with it.

Atkins is too extreme to stick with longterm and for the time I tried it, found it to be completely counterproductive to keeping weight off. Bottom line, if you can't imagine eating like that for the rest of your life, it's a waste of time. The diet I found that worked for me is based on a plate of fresh & steamed vegetables (excluding potatoes), augmented with quality protein and flavoured with small amounts of dairy (cheese/yoghurt), extra virgin olive oil, salt and citrus juice. I eat this for breakfast, lunch and dinner. If you are used to cereal or sweet foods for breakfast it will take some getting used to. Try steamed peas and corn, as they taste sweet and will help you ease into it. Getting a lot of vegetable fibre is important for gut health (good bacteria feeds on it, bad bacteria doesn't) and regularity. This is where I think Atkins fails. It doesn't give the body enough of what it needs.

However you start your day (food wise) sets the pattern for what you reach for the rest of the day. Start clean and you'll eat clean all day. Start with sweet starchy foods and you won't be able to stop eating it. This is why I believe beginning your day with cereals is a bad idea if you want to eat low carb.

Choose an exercise routine you can comfortably do day daily and enjoy. Again I never go to the gym for this exact reason. Gym is a hassle, it costs money and isn't enjoyable for me. Walking and yoga work for me. If you don't enjoy it, you'll never stick with it. Most exercise routines work best when they become a lifetime habit. Pick one you'll like as a habit.

Take the focus off weight loss and put it on enjoying life and eliminating guilt. If eating chocolate bars makes you feel guilty for example, then create eating habits around something else. This builds self confidence over time. Give up the idea that you'll change your eating habits until you hit your goal weight then return to what you're doing now. That's counterproductive. Excessive focus on weight loss actually releases stress hormones into your body which then makes weight loss harder. Don't underestimate the power of your mind. My body looks it's best when I'm focusing on vitality and enjoyment not weight loss or inches.

In short, I've found what works is to create a lifetime habit out of being healthy, enjoying life and being slim. So what I eat now is what I'll still be eating when it's my last meal. I don't ever intend to stop the exercise I do now. I genuinely enjoy my new lifestyle. Therefore I am free of the fear of weight gain for life.

Edited by Buddhist
  • Like 1