Weight Loss Goals & Daily Net Calories

Hi everyone,

I need number benchmarks so I know what I'm working towards, and I want to make sure my calorie deficit isn't too severe. Here's what I've calculated....

Right now I'm 160 lbs. To maintain this weight I'd need about 2200 cals/day. I'm trying to lose 25 lbs, and at that weight I would eat 1300 cals/day to maintain that weight. So I'm looking at a daily deficit of about 900 calories.

I built some meal plans based on my trainer's. diet guidelines. I started with a 1500 Cal meal plan and have gradually found ways to taper down. Today I followed one that's a total caloric intake of 1215 calories, and I'm not lethargic or feeling hungry all day. I can easily add a shake to this after workouts (shakes are 210 to 250 cals) and I'm set there.

I usually have 3 30 min training sessions a week of vigorous exercise.. I'd say I average a 200 - 300 calorie loss per workout (more strength training than cardio). At my last workout though, I ended up going a whole hour! I was really happy with myself. It took me about 25 mins to jog off 300 cals, and then I had a half hour of strength training. So that's a 500 Cal burn right there.

So....on my workout days, following the 1215 meal plan + shake, I'm looking at a net calorie intake of 950. Most articles I've read say women's net calorie should not go below 1200. I really don't want to eat more because I have energy to do all that I want/need to do on a net of 1300 - the workout days that I've felt best on were 1300 Cal days. But the articles also say that when you net less than 1000 your metabolism slows down because it thinks it's got to conserve energy....

I'd have to add another 300 (or just 50?) cals to hit this min. That's an extra meal basically and because I'll already feel full/good I'd be forcing myself to eat when I'm don't feel a need to. I don't think that's good either.

My trainer seems to be trying to get me down to 1200 - 1300 cals anyway and I think she knows what she's talking about. I just want to double check with this new discovery (to me) about the metabolism thing. Any constructive feedback is appreciated, but I'm particularly interested in opinions from atheletes, bodybuilders, fitness model competitors, or active military folks.

Edited by Almond_Joy
  • Like 1

I haven't seen much clear information about metabolism slow down but there is much mythology about it in the fitness world. Usually the studies are done regarding obese people on large restrictions, and there are "energy expenditure" reductions. That's not entirely the same as slower metabolism. Here are a few things:

1. 3/4 of the "slowdown" was from reduced physical activity. People on big restrictions tend to conserve energy unconsciously by moving less, walking less, etc.

2. So about 1/4 of the slowdown seems to be from true metabolism change.

3. On a calorie deficit of 12.5% diet calories and 12.5% exercise calories, there was no slowdown at all. Note, you are considerably more reduced than this.

4. I wouldn't want you on that big of a deficit at 900 or 1200 net calories. I like people doing slow and steady with net -500 for a pound a week. Why rush it? Why be extreme? You should be building a new, sustainable lifestyle, not a quick temporary fix. How about you set a minimum of 1500 calories?

• Like 1

You delve very deeply into your calorie count, but give no mention of your macronutrient composition. How much carbohydrate are you eating? Protein? Fat? If you're getting all your calories from carbs guess what, a deficit ain't going to help you much.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Author
I haven't seen much clear information about metabolism slow down but there is much mythology about it in the fitness world. Usually the studies are done regarding obese people on large restrictions, and there are "energy expenditure" reductions. That's not entirely the same as slower metabolism. Here are a few things:

1. 3/4 of the "slowdown" was from reduced physical activity. People on big restrictions tend to conserve energy unconsciously by moving less, walking less, etc.

2. So about 1/4 of the slowdown seems to be from true metabolism change.

3. On a calorie deficit of 12.5% diet calories and 12.5% exercise calories, there was no slowdown at all. Note, you are considerably more reduced than this.

4. I wouldn't want you on that big of a deficit at 900 or 1200 net calories. I like people doing slow and steady with net -500 for a pound a week. Why rush it? Why be extreme? You should be building a new, sustainable lifestyle, not a quick temporary fix. How about you set a minimum of 1500 calories?

Thank you for these points to consider......I'm understanding from this then that I don't have to be terribly concerned about adversely affecting my metabolism at this point with this meal plan, is that correct?

I agree, this eating plan is strict. One reason I'm sticking with it is because it is sustainable for me, not only nutritionally but financially. My grocery budget is small, and meal replacement shakes seem to be the best nutritional value for my dollar. Plus they're convenient and digest easily. I really don't have a lot of patience for cooking and meal prep right now. I have incrementally been incorporating a couple of fruits or vegetables every day.....which usually knocks me up to 1500 range anyway.

Kind of tangential but I'd like an opinion on this also. My trainer proposed doing a 10 day cleanse. with fruit and veggie smoothies and detox tea. I've never done one before so I gave it a shot. I stuck to it for about half the time, bore some hunger pains, still did my workouts but was a complete zombie at home. It's been a few days since I officially stopped following it and my stomach is SO sensitive to heavy foods and breads. I'm so put off by the sluggishness and bloating that I don't even want to bother with bread/whole grains anymore. Plus the weight I lost on the cleanse seems to pile back on ridiculously fast. Is this normal?

• Author
You delve very deeply into your calorie count, but give no mention of your macronutrient composition. How much carbohydrate are you eating? Protein? Fat? If you're getting all your calories from carbs guess what, a deficit ain't going to help you much.

I have been keeping an eye on macros. I naturally eat way more protein than I need. Fats seem irrationally high considering that I cut nearly all fat from my foods......the most fat I eat is 1 medium sized avocado a day, and those are healthy fats....MFP says I'm still over! Usually only by one or two grams but still....bugs the hell out of me.

I rarely get enough carbs, if I don't consciously seek out carbs to eat I generally will only eat about half of my recommended daily amount. It would help if I felt sluggish or something but I always feel good. This seems really strange.

Every body is different. You should eat what feels, and works best for you. Some do well on low carb / high fat, others with the opposite. There have been a thousand "diets" out there and many work just fine. Any plan that reduces your calorie intake, or increases output, will cause you to lose weight.

The question becomes, what works for you, and what "diet" can you do everyday for the rest of your life? If you are choosing a temporary plan, then expect temporary results.

Your trainer is too gimmicky for my tastes. Detoxes and cleanses fall heavily in that category. It's a good excuse to sell you shakes, protein powders, and teas though.

Instead, why don't you learn how to eat balanced, lower calorie meals that are satisfying and filling? Some meat, some fruit, some veggies. Get rid of processed foods, candy, soda, desserts. Add in exercise 3+ days a week.

Good example: Chicken stir fry, or fajita minus the tortilla. Diced chicken, bell pepper, onion, favorite seasonings, some shredded sharp cheddar on top. Finish with your favorite fruit. It's balanced, filling, and maybe 400 calories.

Stop blowing money on detoxes, cleanses, and gimmicky trainers and you'll have plenty of money for quality whole food.

• Like 2

I am just going to say for me.... Like you, I was finding that I wasn't hungry after eating about 950 cals a day, was doing a fair bit if bike riding, and light weights.

Any way, for a while the weight fell off and I felt great. And then I hit a wall - wasn't losing weight any longer, kept increasing my exercise (at this point 7 days a week of bike cardio plus 3-4 weights) - and I was stuck on a platue.

The key to getting myself back on track was MORE calories.... And I am told if I had stuck to 1200 from the start, I wouldn't have hit a wall so bad.

Right now I am on 1200 a day, higher protien, lower carb. I eat mountains of vegis, salmon, chicken, lamb, tuna, eggs ect (ok and carbs onbthe weekends when I drink). I jog / stair climb 6 days a week, and I am seeing steady losses.

If I get to the end of the day and I am "low on cals" I have s vegi hot dog, or a Greek yogurt, or some egg whites.

• Like 2