dizziness & working out

I am finding that after a work out I feel dizzy. For example, I swam 1/3 of a mile the other day & felt very dizzy when I initially stood on the pool deck. Yesterday I walked two miles on hilly terrain & ache in a good way but I feel dizzy.

What's up with that?

DivorcedDad123

Have you just started working out?

Maybe a drop in blood sugar? Blood pressure rising?

Or, lack of oxygen? Are you eating before your workout?

I work out every day for 1.5 hours(weights and cardio) and some days are better than others. If I get dizzy, I can usually munch on something afterwards and feel better. I also have to make sure I'm breathing and getting enough oxygen.

• Author

With the swimming I worried it was a lack of oxygen. Today I did feel better after eating.

Stage5Clinger

You may be jumping into too difficult of workouts on the outset and your body isn't used to it. Try less strenuous exercises and ease into more reps, further swims, etc. Your body needs to learn how to manage bursts of energy efficiently and if you don't workout regularly it's going to take some time for your body to figure it out.

Maybe you have orthostatic hypotention. Basically, your BP drops when you stand up. I suggest that because you said you got dizzy when you stood on the pool deck. When did you feel dizzy after walking?

fitnessfan365

You mentioned feeling better after eating. This leads me to believe that the issue is food related. The three main culprits usually are :

1) Working out on an empty stomach - It's always a good idea to get protein and a whole grain/complex carb in your system a few hours before you exercise. Something as simple as two whole eggs and a 1/2 cup of oatmeal (less than 300 cals total) would do the trick.

2) Not enough carbs - People usually limit carb intake because they think it helps with weight loss. But carbs are the main source of fuel for the body. Especially when it comes to exercise. So having too low a carb intake can lead to dizzy/shakiness during exercise.

3) Not enough calories in general. Believe it or not, a huge problem for a lot of people is that they don't eat enough. To ensure that your metabolism functions properly, you need to consume enough calories to match up with your activity level. So if you're working out at least 3x a week, you should be consuming at least 1700 cals a day.

Edited by fitnessfan365
  • 1 month later...

Absolutely, you got to eat correctly and enough. Also I had to stop the coffee, well reduce, and drink a lot more water. It makes a big difference.