43, female & achieved my best body

Hi,

Just wanted to share. Although I thought I nailed this in my early 30's when I achieved what is my natural body size (US 2/AU 8) for the first time in my life since my teens, I've just upped the ante.

I'm 43 and have just achieved my smallest measurements but also have great muscle definition, am fit, and healthy as well. And I did this easily with very little daily investment. I am now bordering on being perhaps a AU 6/8 now. I don't think any smaller is possible as my body fat percentage is very low looking at my muscle definition particularly on my stomach. That doesn't show on women easily I think.

How did I do this? Easily here it is....

- I eat cooked and raw vegetables as my staple at every meal, yes including breakfast. I do not eat breakfast cereals nor bread everyday. Although I do eat them a few times a week when I want them.

- Breakfasts consist of vegetables and eggs cooked in virgin coconut and oil olive.

- Lunch and dinner the same except a meat protein instead of eggs.

- Dairy is a condiment, not a main food group. I do drink a cappuccino a day and I do add cheese to my meals in moderation.

- I eat two whole fish each week, I eat trout because it is an oily fish full of EFA's.

- At least once per fortnight I eat a salmon steak raw for the same reason.

- I do an active yoga for one hour everyday as my exercise regime.

- I eat fruit in moderation

- I do not consume. Soda's, packaged refined foods, sugary treats. Nor do I have grain with every meal. I prefer rice but only eat it once a week.

- When I want something sweet I eat fresh dates, or fresh strawberries with whipped cream. The cream makes the dessert a lot more satisfying and I become less hungry after consuming it.

Daily exercise is imperative as just a few times a week is not enough to get the benefits of it. Yoga particularly tends to work best on the body when it's a constant practice.

In 6 weeks of doing this I dropped 4" off my hips, 3" off my waist and 3" off my bust. I now need new clothes as the ones I have are all too big. Overall this is a lifestyle I can maintain for long periods of time. I've been eating very little grain now for over 13yrs and have no negative side effects from it. I still eat it, but it's not a staple food for me.

To be honest I think the biggest determinant here is just not eating processed food and eating mostly vegetables in a lightly cooked state without adding things from a can or packet to it. Makes a huge difference to the amount of fibre you're getting on a daily basis. My fat intake is moderate but I'm careful to eat only stable fats, rather than seed oils which rapidly deteriorate and have been partially hydrogenated. I recently had my cardiac system stress tested and I have no problems. :)

Anyway just wanted to share that you can achieve a great body at any age and it doesn't have to be about personal trainers and stupid amounts of time at the gym.

• Like 11
lollipopspot

You have meat/dairy/eggs at every single meal. It might be sustainable for you personally, but I don't think it's that sustainable for the planet and its inhabitants (nor do I think it's all that buddhist - ahimsa).

• Like 2
Grumpybutfun

I'm around the same age and I'm in the best shape of my life too. I eat lots of vegetables and protein and brown rice. I workout every single day. I run ten to twelve miles six times a week. I have finished my best times in every marathon, IronMan and Tough Mudder obstacle course this last few years. I am having the best sex of my life with my wife who can't keep her hands off me. Yeah, fitness can be achieved at any age. I eat clean 80% of the time and keep active.

Good for you....great achievements. My wife is a yoga nut too.

Grumps

• Like 8
You have meat/dairy/eggs at every single meal. It might be sustainable for you personally, but I don't think it's that sustainable for the planet and its inhabitants (nor do I think it's all that buddhist - ahimsa).

There is no religious obligation for Buddhists to be vegetarian.

Some Schools or Traditions recommend it, others, don't.

There is even today, strong debate as to whether the Buddha was or wasn't vegetarian.

I AM vegetarian, but the reason that started out was physical/health-related, not 'moral'.

Morals NOW play a greater role in my decision.

ahimsa means respect to all living things and doing no harm to others.

According to Pali texts, a Monk may eat meat if this is what is offered, but he personally must neither be responsible for the animal's death, and neither must he have passed that specific task to someone else.

But if a monk is offered meat as part of his alms, he may eat it.

It is more gracious to accept the Metta and Karuna of others, than to create discord by criticising a freely-given charitable donation.

• Like 2

I love this post.

I'm surprised at how similar our diets are, too....

- I eat cooked and raw vegetables as my staple at every meal, yes including breakfast. I do not eat breakfast cereals nor bread everyday. Although I do eat them a few times a week when I want them.

- Breakfasts consist of vegetables and eggs cooked in virgin coconut and oil olive.

I eat my own lacto-fermented pickles (made in brine, not vinegar. Probiotics are the business!) I also make my own cream cheese, and occasionally eat eggs. Olives, almonds and corn thins.

- Dairy is a condiment, not a main food group. I do drink a cappuccino a day and I do add cheese to my meals in moderation.

Again, I don't drink much coffee, but a cappuccino at work, prior to starting the day, is routine. Almost ritual. I probably eat more cheese than you do though, because I avoid meat.

- I eat two whole fish each week, I eat trout because it is an oily fish full of EFA's.

I eat raw salmon (either in a ceviche dish, or as sashimi) twice a month.

I practise Qi Gong...

ditto.

- I do not consume. Soda's, packaged refined foods, sugary treats. Nor do I have grain with every meal. I prefer rice but only eat it once a week.
Double ditto!! I have 'zero noodles'. A lot.

- When I want something sweet I eat fresh dates, or fresh strawberries with whipped cream. The cream makes the dessert a lot more satisfying and I become less hungry after consuming it.

I will have 2 - 4 dried prunes during the day. Not too many for obvious reasons...! :D

Daily exercise is imperative as just a few times a week is not enough to get the benefits of it. Yoga particularly tends to work best on the body when it's a constant practice.

I am also a fan of cycling. My butt has never looked so trim!!

In 6 weeks of doing this I dropped 4" off my hips, 3" off my waist and 3" off my bust. I now need new clothes as the ones I have are all too big. Overall this is a lifestyle I can maintain for long periods of time. I've been eating very little grain now for over 13yrs and have no negative side effects from it. I still eat it, but it's not a staple food for me.

My abstinence of grain products has not been as long as yours. I eat a ton of roasted barley, and find it doesn't affect me, bloated-wise, like wheat does...

To be honest I think the biggest determinant here is just not eating processed food and eating mostly vegetables in a lightly cooked state without adding things from a can or packet to it.

I haven't eaten processed foods, however, for as long as I can remember. I make everything form scratch, myself....

Makes a huge difference to the amount of fibre you're getting on a daily basis. My fat intake is moderate but I'm careful to eat only stable fats, rather than seed oils which rapidly deteriorate and have been partially hydrogenated. I recently had my cardiac system stress tested and I have no problems. :)

My doctor says I'm fitter than she is - and she's in her early 30's! I'm closer to 60...

I had a back injury about 12 years ago that severely compromised my sciatic nerve, which means that I have some muscle-wasting in my lower left leg. I get a build-up of lactic acid in the calf muscle, which cannot be eliminated through exercise, because there is no nerve-connection to the muscle. It's atrophied.

So I have to be careful what I eat, because otherwise I get excruciating cramp.

Bicarb of soda and apple cider vinegar are very beneficial.

I was also born with a severe liver defect, so occasionally, I DO need to eat animal protein for the health of my liver.

But very little. And other than that, I'm happy not to.

Anyway just wanted to share that you can achieve a great body at any age and it doesn't have to be about personal trainers and stupid amounts of time at the gym.

I think good health begins with a healthy attitude/mind-set, anyway.

Good on you!!

• Like 3
  • Author

I didn't purport to be a monk did I? I'm not judging your vegetarianism, kind of weird you feel the need to judge me. I'm just detailing what I personally did for me, I understand that everyone is different and I do advocate that people should do what they feel is right for them.

• Like 1
thefooloftheyear

I'm a bit older but prob in the best shape of my life as well....

Muscular, lean, and very strong....

Mostly weight training and some MMA style training..I get some cardio from the work I do, but supplement it with some running and bike riding when weather permits...

I eat clean...Mostly lean meats, rice, beans/nuts, dairy, some veg,,,,,,It takes a lot of food to support a muscular physique so hunger is usually not an issue..,,,,Ill eat some pizza or pasta if I want to, i just don't make it a habit..No cakes or sweets, but I never have an urge for that stuff anyway,,

I owe most to good genetics and discipline..Its not easy and I do train hard...The biggest obstacle for me is avoiding injury,,,which has slowed me down at times..

It can be done at advanced age...For men or women...I applaud yours and everyone else's efforts..You can decide to let age take you downhill or you can do something about it..

TFY

• Like 3
regine_phalange

That's awesome! Just careful of protein quantity for your kidneys.

I think it's great to eat fresh foods that expire soon. My mum is 66 and in the best shape of her life, even though she was always thin to average weight. The difference now is that she eats very clean and cut out sugar and white flour. She doesn't have any cellulite now, and she did when she was my age!

• Like 1
lollipopspot
I AM vegetarian

I eat raw salmon (either in a ceviche dish, or as sashimi) twice a month.

that's pescetarian, not vegetarian

ahimsa means respect to all living things and doing no harm to others.

I think that requires veganism. There's no way that meat is taken and sold commercially that doesn't require harm.

• Like 1
that's pescetarian, not vegetarian.

I'm sure you're right.

I think that requires veganism. There's no way that meat is taken and sold commercially that doesn't require harm.

no, the harm must be inflicted either directly, or via an accomplice.

To be sure, if you want to be really picky about it, commercial trading is also an unskilful enterprise.

But then, it has been pointed out that any manner of obtaining food will cause environmental damage of some kind.

To be sure, mass-harvesting of vegetables, on an industrial scale, results in loss of animal life.

There is no sustaining of human life without there being some suffering and disruption to fauna along the way.

• Like 1

I follow this food list mostly - and hot yoga in the am and fitness bootcamp at night. However, hubby and I have two drinks a night. I weigh the same as I did when I was in 9th grade and I'm now 49. Things "shifted" a little though.

• Like 1

There are so many topics on this website, and often people blame others.

Funny thing is, failing to stay fit and in good shape, well, you can't blame that on anyone else, but you. It's a responsibility that can't be put on anyone but you.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This.

This is all any female needs to do to be in perfect shape.

Congratulations on having yhe discipline it took to stick to the lifestyle chamge.

I've said, countless times on this forum in the fat threads, that this exact regimin is the key to a healthy, attractive female body.

Literally, this is all one has to do to look their best.

Awesome work!

Hi,

Just wanted to share. Although I thought I nailed this in my early 30's when I achieved what is my natural body size (US 2/AU 8) for the first time in my life since my teens, I've just upped the ante.

I'm 43 and have just achieved my smallest measurements but also have great muscle definition, am fit, and healthy as well. And I did this easily with very little daily investment. I am now bordering on being perhaps a AU 6/8 now. I don't think any smaller is possible as my body fat percentage is very low looking at my muscle definition particularly on my stomach. That doesn't show on women easily I think.

To be honest I think the biggest determinant here is just not eating processed food and eating mostly vegetables in a lightly cooked state without adding things from a can or packet to it. Makes a huge difference to the amount of fibre you're getting on a daily basis. My fat intake is moderate but I'm careful to eat only stable fats, rather than seed oils which rapidly deteriorate and have been partially hydrogenated. I recently had my cardiac system stress tested and I have no problems. :)

• Like 1
that's pescetarian, not vegetarian

I don't know about the last part. What about the harm to plants?

They've been shown to have system wide reactions to injury, possibly feeling pain.

My personal, ethical philosophy is you are killing everything you eat, or at least employing someone who kills it for you.

Yes, choose animals that were killed instantly...you must. The animals taste terrible if they feel fear before death. Adrenaline, etc ruins the taste. So choose only properly killed, happily raised animals.

I eat deer at times. One place i get it from sets up shop a quarter mile away from wild deer that wander onto the land they own. They kill it instantly with a high powered rifle, so the deer doesn't know what happened. Very humane. Then, the drive over to it and immediately bleed it and put it into a trailer to cut it up and freeze it, all within a few hours of the painless death.

This is the best tasting meat in the world. There is no fear, the animals are wild, etc... fear makes meat taste "gamey" Without fear, it's literally the best meat.

But here is how I see ethics and food:

Plant or animal, what is on your plate has made the ultimate sacrifice... FOR YOU! They have died, so that you may live. So, you better not dishonor their lives (plant or animal) by wasting their gift or throwing that gift away.

I don't know about the last part. What about the harm to plants?

They've been shown to have system wide reactions to injury, possibly feeling pain.

Yes, but they have no cerebral cortex, or brain as such, so there is no associated emotion of fear or distress. There is a sensory response, but there's no unhappy feeling or determined sense of pain as we know it.

In other words, the plant is sensitive, but not sentient.

Yes, choose animals that were killed instantly...you must. The animals taste terrible if they feel fear before death. Adrenaline, etc ruins the taste. So choose only properly killed, happily raised animals.

You're living in la-la-land happy-place if you believe this could happen on any grand scale. Or at all, for that matter.

I eat deer at times. One place i get it from sets up shop a quarter mile away from wild deer that wander onto the land they own. They kill it instantly with a high powered rifle, so the deer doesn't know what happened. Very humane.

Really? You honestly believe this happens every single time, without fail? I think they'd be lucky to achieve this 50% of the time, and that's being generous.

Then, the drive over to it and immediately bleed it and put it into a trailer to cut it up and freeze it, all within a few hours of the painless death.
Whether the death is painless is utter conjecture on your part.

I believe the most humane death there could be is an animal's own natural one. Not inflicted or forced upon the animal through no volition or agreement of its own.

This is the best tasting meat in the world. There is no fear, the animals are wild, etc... fear makes meat taste "gamey" Without fear, it's literally the best meat.

I would defy anyone to be able to taste the difference. I would suggest (as with organic/free-range eggs and otherwise) that actually, there is no discernible flavour or substance between the two.

I have been served both. Couldn't tell them apart at all.

Plant or animal, what is on your plate has made the ultimate sacrifice... FOR YOU! They have died, so that you may live. So, you better not dishonor their lives (plant or animal) by wasting their gift or throwing that gift away.

It's simple gratitude.

We waste so much food in the West, we have an over-abundance and glut of commestible produce we dispose of every year, that it borders on the obscenely disgusting at just how wasteful we are.

Edited by TaraMaiden2
Yes, but they have no cerebral cortex, or brain as such, so there is no associated emotion of fear or distress. There is a sensory response, but there's no unhappy feeling or determined sense of pain as we know it.

In other words, the plant is sensitive, but not sentient.

Pain as we know it. Who is to say exactly how they feel anything or that there isn't a decentralized pain system akin to how the internet works? They are still alive and are killed so you may live, pain or no pain.

You're living in la-la-land happy-place if you believe this could happen on any grand scale. Or at all, for that matter.

agreed

Really? You honestly believe this happens every single time, without fail? I think they'd be lucky to achieve this 50% of the time, and that's being generous.

They are actually pretty good at it, apparently. The quality of their expensive meat depends on it. They hire assasin levrel shooters.

Whether the death is painless is utter conjecture on your part.

I believe the most humane death there could be is an animal's own natural one. Not inflicted or forced upon the animal through no volition or agreement of its own.

Not in agreement here. Ever seen a cat kill a mouse? What about the animal breaking a leg, then starving/dehydrating to death. Natural deaths are seldom any less painful.

I would defy anyone to be able to taste the difference. I would suggest (as with organic/free-range eggs and otherwise) that actually, there is no discernible flavour or substance between the two.

I have been served both. Couldn't tell them apart at all.

Huge, HUGE difference. I would literally bet you $1000 I could taste the difference and would definitely do the taste test. See, the flavor people call "gamey" is in fact, a directly result of a bad, frightening death for the animal, provoking a fight or flight response, which saturates the muscles with all those various nasty tasting compounds. So... anyone can tell the difference. Often hunters do a slow, lousy job of killing deer, which is why so many people think venison is gamey. It's better than cow if killed quickly. Reayy, really easy to taste the difference. Nothing like eggs.

It's simple gratitude.

We waste so much food in the West, we have an over-abundance and glut of commestible produce we dispose of every year, that it borders on the obscenely disgusting at just how wasteful we are.

Agreed with your last statement too. I just try to remember food isn't only food. All of it was a healthy, living organism before it ended up on your plate.

Hi,

I'm in my 40's, been eating crap thanks to Halloween candy, haven't been to the gym in a month but I'm in great shape. Why?

I got a dog and walk her daily. :love:

(But I should get to the gym.)