for those who do these... how long do your interval/hiit sessions last? i started doing hiit about 3 months ago on the suggestion from an LS member and love it. but wonder if i am doing it for a long enough period. tia!

I'm a powerlifter so my conditioning needs to be top notch. I do 5 thirty-second sprints with 2 minutes in between and that's it. So that's less than 15 minutes of work. Generally im fked by the end of it.

• Like 1
I'm a powerlifter so my conditioning needs to be top notch. I do 5 thirty-second sprints with 2 minutes in between and that's it. So that's less than 15 minutes of work. Generally im fked by the end of it.

I respect you for having a powerlifting background. I powerlifted for ten years so I know how brutal it is. But in all honesty, your conditioning is hardly what I'd call "top notch". I mean right now you're done after only five sprints and you need two mins rest after each one. I mean it makes sense for powerlifters to have crappy conditioning though. We do heavy sets in the 1-5 rep range and then sit around for 4-5 minutes between them..LOL

Even though I was strong as an ox, I finally got sick of having such crappy overall fitness. So I actually switched over to athletic performance training three years ago. Hardcore conditioning - Prowler sled, hill sprints, battle rope circuits, burpees, etc.. Plus, full body circuits in a 50lb weighted vest - walking lunges, pull-ups, dips, push-ups, squat jumps, etc.. Even though I do miss heavy deads and squats from time to time, my body feels WAY better since I switched. Consistent powerlifting over a long period of time takes a toll on your body after awhile.

Edited by fitnessfan365
I respect you for having a powerlifting background. I powerlifted for ten years so I know how brutal it is. But in all honesty, your conditioning is hardly what I'd call "top notch". I mean right now you're done after only five sprints and you need two mins rest after each one. I mean it makes sense for powerlifters to have crappy conditioning though. We do heavy sets in the 1-5 rep range and then sit around for 4-5 minutes between them..LOL

Even though I was strong as an ox, I finally got sick of having such crappy overall fitness. So I actually switched over to athletic performance training three years ago. Hardcore conditioning - Prowler sled, hill sprints, battle rope circuits, burpees, etc.. Plus, full body circuits in a 50lb weighted vest - walking lunges, pull-ups, dips, push-ups, squat jumps, etc.. Even though I do miss heavy deads and squats from time to time, my body feels WAY better since I switched. Consistent powerlifting over a long period of time takes a toll on your body after awhile.

Well I meant conditioning good enough for the sport. When I did a Westside system for a long time, the speed days honestly were hard enough conditioning wise than the max effort days. I barely had a reserve to sprint at all during the week it was so taxing. But I still got my sled and prowler work done.

Edited by lchf
for those who do these... how long do your interval/hiit sessions last?

I am hoping to get more answers on this. I've only recently started incorporating HIIT into my regular sessions but have a habit of overdoing things. At what point does HIIT become a negative [presumably meaning that we start burning muscle for energy].

Total HI time interval, total rest time interval, number of repetitions?

For me, rest time is really just relatively low intensity periods. Does that work?

Edited by Robert Z
  • Author
I am hoping to get more answers on this. I've only recently started incorporating HIIT into my regular sessions but have a habit of overdoing things. At what point does HIIT become a negative [presumably meaning that we start burning muscle for energy].

Total HI time interval, total rest time interval, number of repetitions?

For me, rest time is really just relatively low intensity periods. Does that work?

i don't know if i'm doing it right or not - i've been following various videos and people, but i generally do 15 minutes total. the rest period is about 30-45 seconds of low intensity, and then the intense periods last between 1-3 minutes. i get through about 4 to 6 hiits this way. it has really helped my fitness, and i've seen great changes over the past few months. but i am wiped out at the end, and my hunger has increased :-( i was just wondering what others do as well, since it's so new to me.

• Like 1

For HIIT your intervals are too long at 3 minutes. This would be a sub threshold effort and while still awesome, if you are looking for the "top end" speed" drop your intervals down to 30/30.

5 minutes of intervals, 5 minutes steady, 5 minutes of intervals.

For HIIT they need to be absolutely flat out maximum effort. As in, lactic inducing, spew worthy.

Otherwise - they are just intervals :)

Keep HIIT to 2 x week. More isn't better.

• Like 1

There isn't a right or wrong way. The question is, what is your fitness goal? Or do you have other sporting activities in which certain training would be beneficial?

Imagine a football player, they only need to output for about 10 seconds at a time. Compare to say MMA where high output may need to last a minute or longer.